Cruise attire - What I saw

I am reconsidering what I'm packing. I was going to bring a nice gown, and hubby was considering doing the tux rental. It is a 7 day cruise after all. But I definately don't want to be the "overdressed people" in the dining room. If I can wear jeans and high heel sandals and he can wear Khakis and a polo (what I consider casual)....

I am reconsidering what I'm packing. I was going to bring a nice gown, and hubby was considering doing the tux rental. It is a 7 day cruise after all. But I definately don't want to be the "overdressed people" in the dining room. If I can wear jeans and high heel sandals and he can wear Khakis and a polo (what I consider casual)....

Where did you get the idea that a tux and gown is overdressing for a FORMAL evening? That is proper formal attire.

You will not be one of the "overdressed" people. I was worried about that on our cruise as well and I can just about guarantee that there will be LOTS of people dressed up more than you.

For me I love dressing up in a long gown and seeing my husband in a suit so it isn't an issue for us. However it makes no difference to us if our table mates are in jeans or shorts. Hey, if they get to the table before us I would never even realize they had shorts on!

Honestly I think the only thing that would turn me off would be a guy sitting at the table with a wife beater shirt on and his pit hair hanging out.:eek: Other than that, I'm good!

We are thinking about getting tuxes for my husband and two sons for our next cruise. We aren't getting them because we think that is how you should dress for formal night, rather because I would really love to get a nice family picture before my girls leave for college. This will probably be our last "family" vacation so I'm hoping to get some great pictures and memories. Since it is a spring break cruise I'm completely prepared for many others to be dressed more casual. It won't bother me at all. The way we will dress is for us. Not to put on a show for others.

I am sick and tired of people defining wearing nice clothes to dinner as being STUFFY.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

You have to assume that they may not understand what 'formal' actually means. :rolleyes:

Although how you could get past the teens without knowing that is puzzling.:eek:

So at the risk of sounding stuffy, what the OP saw on one cruise on Navigator with no explanation as to how long the cruise was, or other identification as to itinerary, probably on Spring Break, should quantify dinner wear for every other cruise that's out there. Did I understand that correctly?

Honestly I think the only thing that would turn me off would be a guy sitting at the table with a wife beater shirt on and his pit hair hanging out.:eek: Other than that, I'm good!

ROTFL!!!!:D

And of course if he were wearing a ball cap too.....

My view is that their are three main types of question askers, those who want to know what's appropriate to wear, those who have genuine questions about what is appropriate, and those who just want validation for dressing inappropriately. Personally, I think the first two groups should be given the guidelines as advice. And I see no reason to give the third group want they want.

AMEN!

Why is it so hard to dress up IF you want to go to the dining room? I just don't understand.

Have seen these pics on another thread...swingin' couple looking to hook up. He looks so proud!!!Yuck........... but whatever floats your boat (ha, ha) Whatever.....wear what you'd feel comfortable in on a special occasion. Trust me on this, real people don't judge..................

Although my family and I dressed appropriately in the dining room each night, we saw ANYTHING GOES..... Most men were in Khaki's and polos,.

Oh, my god! Sorry if I ruined anyone's cruise. :rolleyes:

I am hoping this should answer some questions and help those who are unsure of what to wear when cruising. Although my family and I dressed appropriately in the dining room each night, we saw ANYTHING GOES..... Most men were in Khaki's and polos, women in nice capri's and sandals. Yes, there were men in shorts, there were kids in shorts, and although no one ever really looked like slobs, I was not offended in the least by ANYONE's attire (mainly because I am not stuffy enough to let that sort of thing bother me, nor do I judge people how they dress).. so please do not let anyone on these boards intimidate you into what you CAN and cannot wear in the dining room... people who were under-dressed were NOT asked to leave NOR were they frowned upon. As far as formal night... the only women who stood out were the ones in long gowns. There were only a few. .... and at least HALF the women were in short cocktail dresses, the other half in nice sun dresses and VERY few men in tux's. We even saw people dressed casually in Chops. This was a 5 night cruise. Also, for the people on these boards who claim to be allergic to children... Of the 1500+ kids we saw, none were ever running around wild, misbehaving or annoying anyone. The kids we sat with and in the vicinity of were on their best behavior no matter how old they were, and there never appeared to be any major issues with kids or teens at all... sometimes the hot tubs were filled with little ones splashing, but if you can't handle that scene, you can always go to the solarium pools where it is 16 and older. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your post.

I wonder why this is such a touchy subject for everyone here on the boards :confused: - it always ends in such a heated debate and no one ever wins. :(

Everyone cruises for different reasons - can we just respect each other?

We're different people and have different thoughts, and standards on what is appropriate and not appropriate. And I doubt very few people would run their mouths to someone face to face -so why do it here - I'm talking for either side of the argument.

I just wonder why we're so consumed with telling each other off all the time in regards to clothing - much more important things to worry about when on a cruise. Like, how am I going to get a second sampling of that flourless chocolate cake...yum!

It would be so simple if everyone were to follow RCCL's suggested attire.

I am a high school teacher, and teens have no problems knowing what to wear on "formal" night -- albeit prom or semi. Granted, sometimes they go overboard, but in the end they all look so nice, and are proud of that. In fact, they all dress as befitting the occasion.

If teens "get it", why can't adults?

Back to my opening statement...Just follow what RCCL suggests. Otherwise, the debate over what is acceptable and what is not is really a moot point.

I agree that the attire at dinner has changed a bit from what it used to be...but I don't get to get really dressed up very often beyond work clothes...so I don't mind that some people are more casual even when I am a little more formal...hopefully it's not taken as being "stuffy" ...each to their own...but I am not a huge fan of jeans and such things in the DR...I like being formal...I am with you though - I wish people wouldn't look at it as being STUFFY!

platty192,

The bottom line is wear your gown that you bought, know that IF you stick out, you will look good doing it. Most people will admire how nice you look, and the rest... who cares. If you feel good about it, go for it!

Make sure that you have your photos taken before dinner, that way your makeup and hair is fresh. You can look back later and see how good you look!:)

I am sick and tired of people defining wearing nice clothes to dinner as being STUFFY.

I'm pretty sure nobody said that......

Thank you for this... wish you had posted this before our cruise... it would have been great to see... we were on the Navigator recently also, saw the same thing you did... very laid back, NO stuffiness at all..... we worried alot about formal night too and wound up fitting right in with what we were wearing. Great info and NO slamming from me!;)

:mad: :mad:

How's this for formal attire. :eek: :eek: :eek:

These pics were posted by a cruiser on another thread showing "formal wear" on the Carnival Miracle.

TR101506-vi.jpg

Chainmail3-vi.jpg

Holy boobs and bottoms, batman!!! They probably have a stripper pole in their bedroom at home so she can practice before work!!!:eek:

To the ladies with the long formal dresses: wear them. I have yet to go on any cruise on any cruise line and NOT find a bunch of ladies in long gowns. That's 6 cruise lines and 26 cruises, so get all glamed up and have your picture taken!!:D :D

To the ladies with the long formal dresses: wear them. I have yet to go on any cruise on any cruise line and NOT find a bunch of ladies in long gowns. That's 6 cruise lines and 26 cruises, so get all glamed up and have your picture taken!!:D :D

I agree...............dress up and enjoy yourself. :D

Archived