Do You Wear the Same Outfit More Than Once?

Bilyeu5

A photographer's vest is a wonderful thing. You can put all your usual carry on stuff in the pockets and have room in your airline-allowed carry on for a whole extra change of clothing. It's like having 2 carry ons, only you wear 1.

Of course, if you worry a lot about how you'd look in the vest with full pockets, I assure you, you'll look silly. BUT you'll have that much more STUFF with you and it's only for a couple of hours. I love mine, and I don't care what I look like in it!:D Kind of like having a wearable over-the-door shoe hanger.

Originally posted by PescadoAmarillo: I cruise to see things and do things and meet people. What clothes I wear and how often I wear them don't even factor into the experience at all.

Our sentiments exactly! When we first started cruising I worried about what I wore, nails done, hair just so. Now I only strive to be comfortable, clean and dressed appropriately. The friends and family we share our cruise experiences with are all repeaters - so I guess I have not offended anyone we know. Most of our cruises are longer and I used the laundry regularly until we became elite.

My hubby always shakes his head at all the bags I want to take. So I fully expect to return many items back to my closet. We do laundry on the cruise (on our 15-day one, we did it twice) and I try to mix and match with lots of tops and a few skirts. Hubby brought one suit for the three formal nights on our last cruise and just varied his shirt and tie.

A photographer's vest is a wonderful thing. You can put all your usual carry on stuff in the pockets and have room in your airline-allowed carry on for a whole extra change of clothing. It's like having 2 carry ons, only you wear 1.

Of course, if you worry a lot about how you'd look in the vest with full pockets, I assure you, you'll look silly. BUT you'll have that much more STUFF with you and it's only for a couple of hours. I love mine, and I don't care what I look like in it!:D Kind of like having a wearable over-the-door shoe hanger.

Spike in Fl ~ OK...so where do you get a photographer's vest and what's your favorite brand? Since the airlines are down to 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on, we may need to go for the photographer's vest. It just may work out for us. :) :) :)

With the airline baggage limits cut from 70lbs to 50 lbs on international flights we have really cut back. For even longer cruises we take 3 dressy outfits which are mix and match; plus 4 casual outfits and wear then again as necessary, this really cuts back on shoes and extras. It is a must these days. :o

Sure do wear the same things, often several times. I use the usual strategies of mix-and-match, different accesories and jewelry, and a limited range of colors (mostly black and taupe).

These cruise ships have several thousand passengers. Even with traditional dining, how many people are keeping track? I am just happy to be freed from lugging around all that extra stuff.

Arsinoe

I think Princess has become a bit less formal in the past few years. Little black dresses or pants and fancy tops are most often seen on formal nights. Accessorize with sparkley pins or scarves. (Excuse to go shopping, here!) Nobody really cares what you wear, unless you plan to wear JEANS IN THE DININGROOM!!!!!!!!:eek: OK. Here we go again.:p

I have had to cut down to 1 suitcase under 50 pounds or pay more that cuts into my fun fund so yes I do and I will wear the same outfit twice and I am not going to worry about if people notice or not. Yes, as we do get older we can't lug all the stuff we use to lug around nor should we, so don't worry about it.

Yes, I will do that once and if the person next to me at the table wore the same outfit every night, (washing first :p ) I could care less. I am not on a cruise to judge others or how they dress.

Last year I left 1/3 of my clothes in a closet at home. I did laundry onboard. :)

Absolutely. My motto for packing - two tops for one bottom. On our last cruise I even wore the same "little black" dress twice. I dressed it up fancy with the "bling" for the formal night and for the smart casual night I dressed it down with simply jewellery and a lovely green wrap.

Family of 5 here and there is no way I am packing clothes to be worn once! The boys (13) and DH wear the same suit/shirt for formal nights, DD (17)wears the same gown twice, I wear a black long skirt with two different tops.

My guys wear dress slacks and polos or hawaiian shirts for smart casual and I doubt if anyone notices that they have the same color polo shirt a night or two :rolleyes: DD and I usually wear the same sundress the first and last night. On our next 10 day, we will be rewearing more than that.

I always do a couple loads of laundry half way through the cruise. Swimwear never dries properly in the room so it is a necessity, and an opportunity to wash things that are favorites and can be worn again.

For our whole family we packed two large suitcases (28"?), one rollup type garment bag (carryon) and 4 other carryons. That's it! And we still always have a shirt or two a piece that was never worn. And, everyone is always dressed properly and no one would ever know what is reworn or not.

A cruise is for relaxation, adventure and fun. I don't have time in my life to be so concerned about clothes :rolleyes:

I just bring one basic black dress and wear it on both formal nights. I would never change my dining preference because someone might see me twice in the same dress! They don't even notice or care. Then I bring two pairs of capri pants with 5 tops that match either pair to wear to dinner on casual nights. The tops are worn again with shorts during the day.

When we first started cruising, I used to bring one outfit for each night. My first 10 day cruise was short of a luggage nightmare... But as someone said "as we get older".... Now to make it for lighter suitcases, I do wear each outfit twice, and make sure that they all mix 'n match with 2 pairs of pants: black and navy; and for formal evenings, bring one black long skirt or dress black pants with 2 formal/evening tops. This system also cuts down on the number of pairs of shoes and handbags.

You may want to consider different accessories like belts, earrings and necklaces, pins, etc. which will change the look of the outfit. Accessories are lighter to carry.

So far, no one has ever said anything, and if they noticed, that is their problem. I am on vacation and truly, I'm not concerned with the opinion of the "fashion patrol"....

Personally, I love clothes and have been known to pack very heavy in the past. Now, I rather wear outfits more than once and save by back and shoulders for other cruising fun activities......

I have learned that cruising is about many other things. I do enjoy dressing nice for dinner and love to dress up for formal evenings, but I refuse to make myself participate in a fashion show!!

Pack with the number of outfits that make "you" feel good, and enjoy your cruise!!!!!

AlinaMaria

What difference does it make if someone sees you in the same outfit twice (or 3 or 4 times)? WHO CARES? Or is this just a guy versus gal thing?

DON

Definetly a guy versus a gal thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mix and match for day - dinner- and formal, lighter weight fabrics, and only 1 large and 1 carry on for each unless going for more than 20 days then another medium or large bag to share. Elite free laundry and dry cleaning does help!

Most of the time I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, much less what anyone wore. We did do anytime dining on Princess for our last cruise and loved it - but we ate with our CC group and honestly I could not tell you if anyone wore the same thing or not. Go and enjoy and don't worry.

On a 7 day cruise, do you ever wear the same outfit more than once to dinner? I'm trying to pack lighter than normal. Nothing to do with airline charges since we are driving to the pier. It's just that we are older and don't want to hassle with more than 1 large and 1 small suitcase each. I am honestly thinking of changing from traditional dining to anytime, just so we won't have the same tablemates and no one will know it's the same clothes. It seems from the various CC boards that a lot of people are obsessed with what other people are wearing.

The horrors! Never! :) Part of the cruise experience for me is all the shopping beforehand. I usually take 7 day outfits, 5 dinner outfits, 2 formals, and at least 7 pairs of shoes. And the same for my daughter. But for us, every day is a fashion show. I work in the entertainment industry, so it's kind of expected in my daily life. And my daughter just loves to look trendy. So of course that carries over when cruising.

I don't want to pack so much.....I just do!

I want to look good for me! And, the picture albums.....If I wear the same stuff....there's no difference from one cruise to the next (in the album)....they all run together.

The clothes make the pictures more interesting....Do you know what I mean? Pretty hawaiian shirts or flowery tops are so pretty in pictures!

I will notice a guy or a girl in a really smart/pretty outfit/shirt but I really don't care if I've seen it on them the day before! If they're clean/neat that's all that matters to me!

When it was a black & white world none of this really mattered!

On our Oosterdam cruise, last week, they had our formal pictures in black & white, they were so different and pretty!

Of course, I wear the same trousers and shirts at home more than once before washing as well. :cool:

On a ship with over 2000 people are you making notes of what each and every person is wearing and then checking on all of them day by day to see if they are wearing the same thing?

Of course not, they are not doing it either.

Relax and enjoy yourself! :D

Cheers,

Peter

I usually cruise on over 14 days Have an evening black skirt plus take 4 evening tops depending on the number of formal nites plus a pair of black sandels.Have several semi casual very lite matched skirts and blouses for the other semi casual evenings.

Take several pairs of lite weight easy wash long pants and different lite blouses for the day.....One pair runners plus one additional sandel.Underwear on long trip 8 of each easy wash type, 8 pairs white socks.Oh one lite rain jacket with hoodie.

Usually the weight is kept to 50lbs usual allowance by airlines I use.

I want to look good for me! And, the picture albums.....If I wear the same stuff....there's no difference from one cruise to the next (in the album)....they all run together.

What you appear to be saying is that the only way that you can tell what cruise the pictures were taken on is by the clothes you wore.

IMHO, this is a bit insane. One dark suit, one shirt, one tie does it for me. I look very presentable for formal dining and all men's suits look the same anyway. For informal dining, a pair or 2 of dockers and a few shirts (in case one gets dirty, and the same shoes every night.

Do you cruise only to dress up and obsess about what you are wearing or do you cruise to enjoy yourself?

BTW, I am leaving for Greece on an OAT trip to day and I am restricted to 1 suitcase with a weight limit of 33# and a single carry on with a weight limit of 16#. I thought that it was going to be hard but, in fact, it was easy.

DON

Oh! Donald! You're so right!!!! I'm a freak about pretty stuff!!!!! Call the fashion police!

We're doing 2 weeks, in November......I'm already obsessing about 4 formal nights!

I know, I know! "Light weight", "change the tops", "bring a black skirt", "wear the little black dress, more than once", "change the jewelry", etc., etc.

Oh! Donald! What is a clothes diva to do? Just kidding.....I'm happy to "cut down!" With all the weightage issues....We will have to!!!!! :eek:

Well, I figure that we go through at least two changes in clothes per day. On a normal day at home I'd wear the same thing the entire day. So I figure that I can get two wearings out of each article of clothing before it has to be washed. My wife tends to have a different dress for each formal night, but with the next B2B we may just double-up for those. For my suit, I'll wear a different shirt and tie, but the slacks and jacket will be the same. I'll take the jacket off as soon as I sit down, so not many should notice.

When I pack, I'll make sure I have a pair of jeans for about every three days or so, then pack an extra or two if there's room (with a baby, there's days where you may go through a couple changes of clothes). Any undergarments that are nearing their end of life make a one-way trip, and I'm going to try that idea on other stuff too (such as bringing nearly empty bottles of shampoo), this frees up room for all the extra stuff we bring back. That hasn't been an issue lately though, since those diapers take up so much more room on the way to the ship than on the way back (I'm talking baby diapers, though I suppose the same would be true for adult diapers too). I also bring some powder laundry detergent and several dryer sheets, just in case I decide to do laundry. I'll check it out and if it's packed full in there, I'll just skip it, it's not worth spending your vacation like that. Now if it's a breeze to run in and do a couple loads, then that's just that much less I have to worry about when we get home.

Back on topic...yeah we recycle clothes. Shirts may be worn on two different days, but since I figure we're only wearing them for half a day, it's not like we're wearing dirty clothes. Jeans can usually be worn multiple days anyways, so a few pairs could last the whole cruise. Things that are worn just for dinner could be worn every night of the cruise, if every night was formal night. Luckily dresses take up less room than a suit, so my wife can still wear a different dress each formal night and not take up more space than my single suit.

People can comment on how tacky I am all they want, as long as I can't hear it. You can have your opinions, that's fine, just don't ruin anyone else's cruise. It's not like you can make them feel so bad they'll magically have a new outfit for every night now, so what good does it do you? Just whisper quietly and laugh to yourselves, let us be blissfully unaware of what you think.

We travel with one small carry on suit case each & 1 back back for the valuables no matter how long the trip. I wash out my underwear & socks each evening & there dry in two days. If anything get spilled on really badly I can always have it washed but the ship. If a shirt really get dirty & I desperately needed another I'll buy it at the next island.

I'm wondering how the liquor shops are doing these days since people can't bring back the extra 6 pack of bottles without being charged?

Archived