Appalling Brilliance

cyukuk

I absolutely love "freestyle" aka "anytime" dining on NCL- but if not orchestrated correctly, it could be a disaster. I just hope they get their act together by February and I will be the first in line to eat at my leisure.

We were on Brilliance in January and everything was great. I was thinking about Europe and Brilliance but not now. We were on Princess anytime dining and hated it. Snooty maitre di Lined us up like cows and rushed us out the door within half an hour. Maybe Celebrity is the way to go ,Kathi

This is what I don't get, you are going to not sail Brilliance to the Med because of one posters assessment (no others have corroborated this account) on one sailing of a less then perfect experience.

Well I was on the Brilliance last year and it was one of the best cruises ever, fantastic service, great wait staff and like tons of others have stated on this board Brilliance is one of my favorites and I can't wait to sail her in the Med next year.

Are you talking about on the Brilliance? If not what ship? They are only trying it on a few not fleet wide at this point. Also for anytime dining you MUST pre pay your tips, so don't do it. But you should be on traditional dining with the listing you have on your reservation.

It is the June 8th sailing of the Freedom.

It is hard to picture this as a money saving move unless it reduces labor costs. Less people in the dinning room at one time means less waiters.

It is the June 8th sailing of the Freedom.

It is hard to picture this as a money saving move unless it reduces labor costs. Less people in the dinning room at one time means less waiters.

Freedom is one of the ones they are testing it on, don't pay your tips until you are on board or the last day.

This is what I don't get, you are going to not sail Brilliance to the Med because of one posters assessment (no others have corroborated this account) on one sailing of a less then perfect experience.

Well I was on the Brilliance last year and it was one of the best cruises ever, fantastic service, great wait staff and like tons of others have stated on this board Brilliance is one of my favorites and I can't wait to sail her in the Med next year.

Every ship has good and bad sailings. We've done the Brilliance twice. The Med cruise was the best we've ever been on, the Panama canal cruise over the Christmas holidays was the worst nightmare we've ever experienced with RC and this was the same ship, six months apart.

Every ship has good and bad sailings. We've done the Brilliance twice. The Med cruise was the best we've ever been on, the Panama canal cruise over the Christmas holidays was the worst nightmare we've ever experienced with RC and this was the same ship, six months apart.

And our Panama was the best so I guess you never know but I still wouldn't change my plans and the account of one person.

We are doing the 12nt Med Venice cruise on the Brilliance June 22nd. I got an email two weeks stating they were now offering "Any Time Dining" and that if we wanted to do it we would have to pay our gratuities in advance. I paid my gratuities in advance on one occassion and we had the worst service ever, so I won't be doing that again. As well, I like the organized dining times. So, we just go with late seating. I hope our seating is still valid.

We were on the Brilliance in January and had to be subjected to watching "Barnie" the purple creature every night in the dining room, late seating. There was a family, father not so young, with a 2 year old and the only way the parents could enjoy their dinner was if junior watched "Barnie" on a portable DVD player in our sight line. We complained and complained again and were told sorry there is nothing the Brilliance crew could do about it. The dining room staff told the parents of our complaint and we were harassed by the father in Panama about our complaint. When I asked about why we were confronted by this man no one in the dining room would admit they passed our complaint on. This is a long story to say I would have given anything to have My Time Dining. Brilliance is a ship not run by RCI, US. We're going on Independence in November and I am definitely concerned about sailing RCI/UK again.

What's interesting, The Brilliance was experimenting with My Time Dining in Feb and March. This is the first complaint I've read.

Finally, every cruise with RCCL we've been on reservations for the speciality restaurants must be made early on or you are out of luck.

Sorry the OP had a bad experience. This cruise seems to be the first one RCCL has messed up My Time Dining.

In all of the reported "experiments" of *My Time Dining* so far, ONE HALF of one deck of the dining room has been used.

In the OP's case, they were using one ENTIRE dining room, and the larger of the two.

Does NOT sound auspicious to me at all. :(

One of the reasons I prefer RCCL to Princess is that I did not like Anytime dining on Princess. And, while you can opt for traditional, since many (over half) on the ship are NOT on traditional, the whole evening schedule and ambinace of the shipseems different. So, even if RCCL goes only "half" to this My time Dining, it will really change the feel of the evenings!

On the Princess ships, while a lot of people do like anytime dining, so that they can eat early on sea days and late on shore days, a lot of people DO like the traditional, and on the Princess board, you often see people complaining that they want traditional, but could not get it, as too many tables are reserved for Anytime.

INHO, I can't understand why Princess (or RCCL for that matter) can't just see how many people request traditional, and that is how many traditional tables are assigned for the cruise. I have heard of times when one of the "anytime" dining rooms DID have some tables allocated to early and late traditional. It can't be THAT difficult for the cruise lines to assign dining as requests come in, and freeze it a couple of weeks before sailing. Then the M'D knows for that sailing how many tables are allocated in which way. In just doesn't seem that tough of a challenge.:confused:

In all of the reported "experiments" of *My Time Dining* so far, ONE HALF of one deck of the dining room has been used.

In the OP's case, they were using one ENTIRE dining room, and the larger of the two.

Does NOT sound auspicious to me at all. :(

Is it a fact that only 1/2 of one deck has been used in all the ships? Not sure I read anything official about that. Not doubting you, just want to know your source.

We certainly will be getting more reports about this cruise. The thread had over 2800 entries so I'm sure with time we will see if the OP's opinion is the same as other CCers. Still don't agree however about the speciality restaurants. People are lined up on embarkment day to make reservations. Surely, you don't disagree with that.

Is it a fact that only 1/2 of one deck has been used in all the ships? Not sure I read anything official about that. Not doubting you, just want to know your source.

We certainly will be getting more reports about this cruise. The thread had over 2800 entries so I'm sure with time we will see if the OP's opinion is the same as other CCers. Still don't agree however about the speciality restaurants. People are lined up on embarkment day to make reservations. Surely, you don't disagree with that.

As I wrote, "reported" experiments. Every report that *I* have read on CC from someone who participated in or observed MTD, this was the setup. If you have read something different, please give me a link so that I may read it. :)

As I wrote, "reported" experiments. Every report that *I* have read on CC from someone who participated in or observed MTD, this was the setup. If you have read something different, please give me a link so that I may read it. :)

Sorry, you wrote reported "experiments." We both seem to be splitting hairs. Neither of us was on this cruise so we really aren't in a position to comment on My Time. As I said earlier, with over 2800 pre-cruise posts, my guess is we will soon be reading others experiences. If, as the OP reported, My Time did not work on this particular cruise, RCI/UK hopefully will take the necessary steps to remedy the problem.

Captain Lindegren just returned from his holiday today, and although this is not his area of expertise.......he certainly will lend an ear.......and give a report of his thoughts.

As I recall.........this ship is not controlled by Miami.......but by the UK.

Is that correct???

Rick

Fran, very nicely explained. I believe there is more behind these Captains leaving than the dollar exchange. I don't believe we will find out what more is going on. Does anyone know if this is happening on other lines?
From what I have heard, Micki, it really is the salaries.

Getting paid in dollars these days is like getting a HUGE cut in pay. They just can't afford it, and don't think that they deserve to work for less. There are many opportunities to be had at home.

:(

Sorry, you wrote reported "experiments." We both seem to be splitting hairs. Neither of us was on this cruise so we really aren't in a position to comment on My Time. As I said earlier, with over 2800 pre-cruise posts, my guess is we will soon be reading others experiences. If, as the OP reported, My Time did not work on this particular cruise, RCI/UK hopefully will take the necessary steps to remedy the problem.

Oh, I don't think that we are arguing, disagreeing or splitting hairs at all. :)

I have been avidly reading the posts of ANYONE who has had MTD on a cruise, and they all have reported much smaller sections being used.

If the OP of this thread is accurate about all of Deck 4 being set aside for MTD, that's a big change.

Oh, I don't think that we are arguing, disagreeing or splitting hairs at all. :)

I have been avidly reading the posts of ANYONE who has had MTD on a cruise, and they all have reported much smaller sections being used.

If the OP of this thread is accurate about all of Deck 4 being set aside for MTD, that's a big change.

Let's see what others on this cruise have to say, and see if all of deck 4 was used. It may have been a disaster, but I'm not going to bash My Time based on one poster's review. As you know since you have followed this avidly, it has been pretty much a big success.

My biggest concern about this particular review is that it is going to get people, who aren't even willing to give My Time a chance, all riled up. You know there are many out there with that opinion.

As for me, I would love to see My Time fleet wide, but the truth is we eat between 8 and 9 each night so late seating works for us.

HI Again

Thanks for all your comments, first correction it was Deck 5 that was used for My Time and Deck 4 for the conventional Diners ; sorry

Now to the "forced to use", that may have been a little strong but to understand why people did not switch to My Time you have to understand how it works :-

1. All Gratuities must be paid up front !! so tip us regardless of what service get! Have a different waiter every night etc etc.

2. You cannot make a booking for whenever you want since it relys on staffing levels to operate, it should really be te-titled RCCL Time Dining. Most people were being offered times that they did not want, please bear in mind that this was a cruise that attracted a more elderly clientel most of whom cannot eat late at night.

The general opinion was that RCCL were forcing a system onto passengers who did not want it and why should we roll over !!!!

On Freedom in January one small part of one of the three dining floors had been set aside for My Time and that did not seem to upset anyone, 'cos we were not affected by it. Trust me I have only given you a taste of what went on on Brilliance , on our table we were suddenly given a strange couple but of course there were no seats. They arrived early, were seated with rolls and water when the the rest of the table arrived ! Huge embarrasment all around, they had been waiting 4 nights for a Main Time allocation only to have the Head Waiter throw them off, a truly dreadful way ro treat guests.

I fervently hope that this is the exception rather than the norm, but I Hae me doots !!!

Luv from Scotland

Cy

And our Panama was the best so I guess you never know but I still wouldn't change my plans and the account of one person.

Of course not, and I wouldn't change my plans based on any reviews. I was just pointing out that ships aren't perfect and things can and do go wrong on the same ship in a short period of time between cruises. :)

Ok experimenting with this on european Itin is not a bad idea.....

Remember european Itins tend to be very port intensive and most passengers like to use the maximum amount of available port time. Therefore early dining is often not used to the maximum. Then there are also the the med passengers (spanish, italian etc) who normally eat very late anyway (like 9:00pm)

BUT the M'd should flexable with his diningroom. If he can see that many are not happy with the system or there are more passenger who prefer set times - then open up more areas for them and reduece this Anythime stuff to a small area of the diningroom - it can be done.

If you don't like it the way it is currently being done SAY SO on your comment card since the reason we are having these experiments is because enough passengers yowled about not have this service

Wow i am sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We did the 10 nite panama canal just before your cruise and it was excellent. We had early dining, had an excellent staff both for our room and dining service. We also talked to much of the staff and they were either getting off the ship and done with their jobs or staying on and couldnt wait to do Europe. Your trip doesnt even sound like the same staff we encountered. We loved our trip, hope your next one is better.

Captain Lindegren just returned from his holiday today, and although this is not his area of expertise.......he certainly will lend an ear.......and give a report of his thoughts.

As I recall.........this ship is not controlled by Miami.......but by the UK.

Is that correct???

Rick

Rick, Brilliance is indeed owned and operated out of England....

So Captain Hakan is back? Hmmm, wonder if he's got his "package" yet.

I was sorry to see Captain Petter go. RCI's loss.

Fran

Archived