Listen RCCL. Wow Sale Over Rated ?

Wow Sale Over Rated ?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Wow Sale Over Rated ?

• Yes
    • No

too many restrictions, no combining with other better programs, etc. I think it is a great sale to entice first time cruisers.

How would a first time cruiser even know about this offer of only paying half a deposit to reserve a cruise? If a first time cruiser goes to Travel Agency to book a cruise and the agent tells them..well you picked the right time to book a cruise....Royal Caribbean has a special going on today. Guess what you only have to pay half the deposit today to book your cruise..........Come on people get serious will you, if a new cruiser came into a Travel agency to book a cruise, they are going to book it regardless if half or all the deposit is due.

That's just silly to assume this is going to entice new cruisers?

Don't you think they are trying to attract the first time RCCL cruisers?? Those of us who are multi RCCL cruisers know the discounts that are better suited to our needs and the WOW sale won't have any major effect on us, so yes it may be overrated for us, BUT............as a stockholder, of course I want them to attract as many new RCCL cruisers as possible, and if this helps, it won't be overrated for those folks, thus my vote NO.

How would a first time cruiser even know about this offer of only paying half a deposit to reserve a cruise?

Jimbo you have a point. First time RCCL cruisers (trying to entice cruisers from another line) might be the real target. Many complaints from Carinval and NCL cruisers about the cost on RCCL for comparable cruises. RCCL may be trying to alleviate the issue by offering half price deposits and making payments for the balance as a way to get those cruisers to try RCCL. The hook is just to get a booking. After the booking, people are less likely to cancel.

Jimbo you have a point. First time RCCL cruisers (trying to entice cruisers from another line) might be the real target. Many complaints from Carinval and NCL cruisers about the cost on RCCL for comparable cruises. RCCL may be trying to alleviate the issue by offering half price deposits and making payments for the balance as a way to get those cruisers to try RCCL. The hook is just to get a booking. After the booking, people are less likely to cancel.

If they want to attract other cruisers from other lines........It's easy just lower the total price per person......That and ONLY that will attract other cruisers from otherlines to Royal Caribbean.

I wonder just how much extra business this really generates for Royal Caribbean.??:rolleyes: Next to nothing is my guess.

How would a first time cruiser even know about this offer of only paying half a deposit to reserve a cruise? If a first time cruiser goes to Travel Agency to book a cruise and the agent tells them..well you picked the right time to book a cruise....Royal Caribbean has a special going on today. Guess what you only have to pay half the deposit today to book your cruise..........Come on people get serious will you, if a new cruiser came into a Travel agency to book a cruise, they are going to book it regardless if half or all the deposit is due.

I guess it's good for anyone that doesn't have any C & A discounts (less than platinum) or next cruise certificates for OBC - at least they can get some OBC depending on the length of their cruise. The sale's not good for me because we get C&A discounts, OBC from certificates and OBC for being a shareholder. It would cost me more booking during their WOW sale.........LOL

I don't know how it would attract new customers because how would a first time cruiser even know about this sale unless they advertised on TV, papers, etc.

too many restrictions, no combining with other better programs, etc. I think it is a great sale to entice first time cruisers.

Sue, your're exactly right! Why would I give up a Next Cruise OBC and a Shareholder OBC which I can combine. If I'd do the WOW sale with their restrictions I'd end up with half of the OBC I'd otherwise be entitled to. Makes no sense. :mad: If I could combine everything I'd be making a reservation or two for sure, but no way with the resetrictions.

As a newcomer to RCCL, it works for me, in that I don't have any higher level C&A coupons, shareholder credits, etc. Also, since I want to have multiple advance bookings, it is a good way for me to afford multiple bookings at once.

That being said---it really isn't a sale, from my point of view. Just because you don't have to pay the full deposit upfront, doesn't mean that you don't have to pay it. So, there really isn't a "sale" price being offered. So I have to agree, that it is not really a very "WOW" sale at all. And the OBC amount, especially since it is not combinable, is not very enticing.

As a newcomer to RCCL, it works for me, in that I don't have any higher level C&A coupons, shareholder credits, etc. Also, since I want to have multiple advance bookings, it is a good way for me to afford multiple bookings at once.

That being said---it really isn't a sale, from my point of view. Just because you don't have to pay the full deposit upfront, doesn't mean that you don't have to pay it. So, there really isn't a "sale" price being offered. So I have to agree, that it is not really a very "WOW" sale at all. And the OBC amount, especially since it is not combinable, is not very enticing.

How did you find out about this offer from Royal Caribbean ?

How did you find out about this offer from Royal Caribbean ?

Well, I read about it here, my TA sent me an email, and RCI sent me an email--so I was fully informed!!!

My DH and I recently went on our first RCI cruise, so we are also now C&A members.

Just reduce my cabin price and I will be a happy camper! This sale cannot be combined with anything else and seems to be for 2009 sailings.

Doesn't help me in the least. My second sailing in November 2008 has only inside cabins available so there is absoltuely no chance of upgrading to a junior suite.

Seems to be for new passengers and not repeat passengers who will not benefit from it. Whether or not you pay the full desposit now or later, it still has to be paid at some point.

MARAPRINCE

Also, since I want to have multiple advance bookings, it is a good way for me to afford multiple bookings at once.

quote]

Multiple Bookings are over rated also and I'll tell you why it doesn't work for us. We will book something far inadvance.......looks good for awhile..then we end up canceling it anyway because we find something with a better price, more days, better cabin category, better itinerary etc..

So multiple bookings are pointless. Looks good on paper but in the end it means nothing.

Jimbo:)

Well, I'm not a first timer, but I've never sailed RCCL.

That, combined with the fact that Mike won't fly anywhere, made this opportunity to sail on ROS from my home port of San Diego, very appealing.

I heard about it from RCCL itself, followed by an e-mail from my TA.

I'm not really looking at it as a big sale, just an inexpensive way to try RCCL and a Radiance class ship. No airfare either.

Pat

Well, I'm not a first timer, but I've never sailed RCCL.

That, combined with the fact that Mike won't fly anywhere, made this opportunity to sail on ROS from my home port of San Diego, very appealing.

I heard about it from RCCL itself, followed by an e-mail from my TA.

I'm not really looking at it as a big sale, just an inexpensive way to try RCCL and a Radiance class ship. No airfare either.

Pat

Just so you are aware there are 14 other ships that sail from San Diego and none of the 14 are Royal Caribbean ships, so as you know you have other options to look at.

You said something about an inexpensive way to try RCCL......you do know though that in the end you will pay the Total Price.

THis will help me because this booking will be a gift for someone who is a first time cruiser. This way some of my money will not be tied up in a deposit I will have close to 15 months to pay for this cruise, I booked my cruise earlier last week and enjoyed using benefits and a certificate.

The OBC will help with gratuities or whatever. So no it is not a sale but less out of my pocket now allows me to book another cruise sooner rather than later .

Not silly at all... it's created especially for those who have not cruised RC or any other line for that matter... it's pretty widely advertised right now... note the banner here on CC... Travelocity is also advertising the sale... Expedia is advertising the OBC aspect of the 'sale'...

Anyone who may be thinking about booking a cruise this weekend and happens to be surfing the net for info or pricing, is definitely going to run across this...

It's not meant for those of us who have already booked or even those of us who are C&A, again, it's meant to lure new passengers to their line... the half off deposit is enticing to anyone who doesn't want to put down so much up front and they get OBC... If I were a newbie, I'd be all over it...

They have specials for the rest of us... it's called C&A coupons... not to mention their policy of honoring price drops right up until you sail... people who sail RC frequently take advantage of these programs, not to mention the Next Cruise program...

Marketing departments are all about finding ways to target specific groups... and that's exactly what this is about... targeting people who have never sailed before or may not have sailed RC before... it's a pretty neat deal for the right demographic... if you're not part of that demographic then you do what I did... forward it to someone who is part of that demographic and say, "Hey, join us on our next cruise"...

Also, since I want to have multiple advance bookings, it is a good way for me to afford multiple bookings at once.

quote]

Multiple Bookings are over rated also and I'll tell you why it doesn't work for us. We will book something far inadvance.......looks good for awhile..then we end up canceling it anyway because we find something with a better price, more days, better cabin category, better itinerary etc..

So multiple bookings are pointless. Looks good on paper but in the end it means nothing.

Jimbo:)

For me, multiple bookings aren't pointless---I wasn't concerned with how it looked on paper---I already have a family trip booked--1250 for deposits, and have other trips I want to book now, for the future, so being able to hold the cabin I want, for half the deposit works for me. I don't think changing plans will be a big issue for us--we have kids school schedules to deal with, or if the kids aren't going with us, childcare arrangements to make--so advance prep makes things smoother and less stressful.

So I'm still not "WOW-ed", but the sales event still does have some benefits for me.

If they want to attract other cruisers from other lines........It's easy just lower the total price per person......That and ONLY that will attract other cruisers from otherlines to Royal Caribbean.

I wonder just how much extra business this really generates for Royal Caribbean.??:rolleyes: Next to nothing is my guess.

Whether the prices were lower or not, I still would have booked my cruise with RCCL. The price was not a major factor for me, as it may be for some. I basically did a lot of research, read these boards daily and decided to try RCCL, and I made the right choice. I cruised with Carnival 1st, and although I had a nice time, I was Not eager to go on another cruise until RCCL. Price is important, but in my opinion RCCL quality of service outweighs price anyday. I would pay $50 or $100 more if it meant a better cruise experience, no matter what the other cruiselines were offering.

I think the WOW sale is great, and this will only be my 2nd cruise with RCCL, but I was more determined to book a new cruise after getting the email. Its great for some, and not so appealing to others, but you either take it or leave it.

Archived