2 year old and jeans

I am cruising on IOTS at the end of June , my 2 year will be sailing with us ,will it be a problem if he wears jeans and a nice shirt to dining roooms even on formal nights

I am cruising on IOTS at the end of June , my 2 year will be sailing with us ,will it be a problem if he wears jeans and a nice shirt to dining roooms even on formal nights

Personally, I couldn't care less what a two year old wears. But, more power to you keeping a two year old quiet for an hour and a half to two hours...although some kids are good about it and some not. But, of all the ages...the littles are the ones where you can go to Wal-Mart or KMart and get cute little "dressup" outfits that are cheap as chips. So, why not make the kid look adorable.

Just my opinion, but if you are decked out in formal attire, then you might want to dress up your toddler a little bit. To me, it would just look odd otherwise. You can get nice khaki looking pants, or even jumper outfits that appear a little dressier than jeans.

I think I'll get the popcorn ready for this one!!!!! ;)

Ha! The OP shouldn't worry. People will be so annoyed that there is a 2 year old in the dining room, or even on the ship for that matter, for them to even notice what he is wearing!:D :D

Personally, I couldn't care less what a two year old wears. But, more power to you keeping a two year old quiet for an hour and a half to two hours...although some kids are good about it and some not. But, of all the ages...the littles are the ones where you can go to Wal-Mart or KMart and get cute little "dressup" outfits that are cheap as chips. So, why not make the kid look adorable.

I agree. Little dressup outfits really are not that expensive and you only need 1 to serve both nights (assuming no stains)... at a minimum a pair of kiddie khakis could be dressed up with a polo shirt, but jeans? If you are getting all gussied up and maybe even springing for a formal portrait, so should the little man, in my opinion.

I don't think it really matters what your 2 year old wears. The only thing you have to consider is if you are going to have photos taken at the photo stations pre-dinner (pre-dinner is probably best for a toddler). If the pictures are important, then dress the little guy up. If not, then let him wear whatever. Your choice.

there was a 2 yr old in the dining room on my last cruise and they set up the DVD player for him...we couldn't believe it! as a nanny for twin 2 year olds...i cant imagine trying to make them sit through a dinner like that.

Where are you sailing from? I'm not familiar with IOTS current route, but if it is a Caribbean one, you will be completely fine, especially if they are darker coloured jeans.

I would have encouraged you (like many others) to bring something more formal, but after my cruise last week, jeans in the dining room were everywhere. It's so un-formal in the caribbean/bahamas that I wouldn't worry about it. Especially for a 2 year old who will likely spill on himself and who will be more comfortable in jeans if that is what he is used to wearing.

Quite honestly, don't worry about it. And don't feel like you can't go to the dining room. I saw several very young children on the cruise in the dining room. It's not as "formal" as it was even 3 years ago, in my opinion.

Dont worry about it, he will be fine, honestly, if some folks have a problem with a 2 year old little boy wearing jeans then the problem lies with them, not your little lad. How could anyone ever take offence to what a baby was wearing? formal night or not for goodness sake??? :confused:

Have a great cruise, Im sure your little guy is going to LOVE it :D

Drinking the second margarita...will have to have another....when will this jeans in the DR discussion end? To the OP, why would you ask??...he's a toddler for crying out loud (oops, no pun intended but in retrospect...that was pretty good!!). Don't buy clothes just to dress up the child to make him/her look good....do what works for you as a family. BTW, you're welcome to eat at our table anytime!!

ENJOY!! Life is way too short.......oops, no way are shorts allowed in the DR even for a toddler?? Damn that second 'rita, BTW should we talk about smuggling booze so that the parents can relax in their cabin with a bevvy of their own making??? Nah, didn't think so!!

Let him wear what ever is comfortable for him. Just keep in mind that the Caribbean is hot and humid in the summer, so he might be more comfortable in lighter weight material.

Further, also keep in mind that dining in the dining room is a multi course affair which can be quite lengthy. If he is the type of kid who sits well and is easily entertained, it will work out fine. If he's got a short attention span and is active as many 2 year olds are, then you mind consider a back up plan.

Not sure if you have cruised much before, but if you have, then you will know all this, so just ignore the advice.

No one will care what he wears and nobody will notice him unless he is very loud.

What I don't understand is everyones love of jeans! Maybe it is just that I am getting older and jeans are not nearly as comfortable as other kinds of pants.

I always loved the little suits for my boys when they were 2. They always looked so adorable :)

Whatever you want to dress him in, it's up to you. He'll get all the oohs and ahhs people enjoy saying when they see a little kid dressed up so cute.

I'm pretty sure you can find a cute outfit for a little kid under $20 at kids r us.

More than likely, cheaper than a pair of jeans.

I'll admit to not having purchased clothing for a toddler in some time but just cannot imagine that you can't buy dressier slacks on the clearance rack for a reasonable price.

Why go to the trouble of dressing him in a "nice" shirt and then put a pair of jeans on him.:confused:

We brought our twin 3 year old daughters with us on our last cruise. We ate in the dining room with them every night. My wife brought seven sets of matching dresses and accessories so every night they had a different outfit. They were the hit of the dining room. The waiters went out of their way to dote on them. Passengers kept coming to our table to compliment us on them. (even at 3 they are very well behaved when eating out... too bad we can't get them to behave at home!:eek: ) A couple of nights they did get a little tired (even though we had early seating) and the waiters surprised us and brought a couple of extra chairs and tablecloths for blankets and made little beds for them tableside. It was great. The girls were so sad to say goodbye to our waiters on the last night.

Ha! The OP shouldn't worry. People will be so annoyed that there is a 2 year old in the dining room, or even on the ship for that matter, for them to even notice what he is wearing!:D :D

I doubt this.

We see little ones on every cruise we've ever taken. The crew loves them and the majority of the other pax love to see them as well. I enjoy other peoples little kids as long as I don't have to take care of them or listen to them cry.

So, to the OP, my only advice would be to dress your little guy to compliment what the rest of you are wearing. And...enjoy your cruise :)

Sure you can get away with jeans. However, make the evening special by going to Walmart and buying the 2 year old a cute outfit to wear. My three kids have cruised since they were 2. They are now teens and grown up. They would not ever ask me if they could wear jeans in the ship's dinning room---especially on formal night. We are simple people--however--our cruise vacations are life's highlight--sort of a fantasy from hard working real life. We all love to treat ourselves--and dressing up on formal night is part of it. When the 2 boys were teens I went to salvation army thrift store and picked up like new beautiful suites for 10 bucks each. My sons wore them even after the cruise several times to a wedding, church events. etc. because they had them and liked wearing them. where there is a will--there is a way. As a side note-- even now--they look back on those formal night pictures when they were small with big similes and chuckles of happiness. Walmart may be your answer.

Archived