New Princess Class of Ships?

bbenson

I couldn't help but notice that the only new build princess has (listed on the cruise critic new build page) is for Ruby Princess this year.

Anyone think or know anything about furthers ships and / or a new class maybe?

After all, Princess has to have somethnig to compete with Oasis and NCL's F3 ships.

I couldn't help but notice that the only new build princess has (listed on the cruise critic new build page) is for Ruby Princess this year.

Anyone think or know anything about furthers ships and / or a new class maybe?

After all, Princess has to have somethnig to compete with Oasis and NCL's F3 ships.

To my knowledge, Princess does not have any more ships being built. As for competing with NCL, NCL is not Princess' primary competition so they don't "have" to have anything to compete with them. People keep on forgetting that the majority of Princess itineraries are not to the Caribbean/Mexico/Alaska but rather to places all over the world and go to ports where even the Grand-class ships overwhelm the local resources. Let RCCL and NCL have their humongous ships. It's not a matter of "mine is bigger than yours" but "mine is better than yours."

Carnival Cruise (parent of Princess, among others) recently reported no plans for any newbuild orders until the Dollar improves its position vs the Euro.

That said, I do hope when there are newbuilds for Princess, they drop down in size to 75,000GRT, 1500 PAX range.

I agree with Druke, build some smaller ships rather than the behemouths but I doubt that will happen. Big ships, more people and monies.

marilyn

I disagree somewhat...the main stream cruise lines, Carnival, RCI, Princess, NCL do all compete...yes they offer different products but you can't really call any of them a luxury cruise nor an expedition line (though they may have some off the path itineraries). They are all mainstream cruise lines with MOST of their ships holding over 2000 pax......as for holding for the dollar to improve against the euro....that may take a while...they can't hold out for too long or they'll definitely be left in the dust by the other lines. Even if you personally don't like the new Mega ships they do cause a massive amount of media coverage.

Even if you personally don't like the new Mega ships they do cause a massive amount of media coverage.
And what does this have to do with cruising? MOST Princess ships/cruises are sold out well in advance without spending $$ on TV advertising. My recent 31-day Sapphire cruise was sold out by September 2006 (yes, over 18 months in advance) and my Diamond cruise in two years already has some categories waitlisted. I don't think Princess needs the media coverage as you are implying.

Bigger is not always better. Witness the amount of flyers and such Princess has sent out advertising "Small Ship Cruising". Just look for the icon with the outline of a Grand class ship in blue with the smaller outline of a Tahitian Princess class ship (Tahitian, Pacific, Royal ) in white. That's what we've taken to Bora Bora, Hawaii, and soon to the smaller ports in the Western Med (Casablanca, Gibralter, Tunis, etc.)

"Each vessel carries about 700 mostly adult passengers in a relaxed, sophisticated style."

These ships are comfortable, classy, and have the desireable features of Princess cruising.

One reason I would enjoy seeing a few new Princess ships is that I would like to see some modernizing of the cabin design. Some of the other lines are doing a really great job there (the OP mentioned F3.) I really like a lot of the upgrades to public spaces on Crown/Emerald, but I would love to see some innovation in the cabin design.

.......After all, Princess has to have something to compete with Oasis and NCL's F3 ships.

In my opinion there is no need to compete with the NCL F3 cabins. Who wants their shower in their bedroom. My RV is laid out better.

If that is what NCL is coming up with.... wonder what they will come up with in Chapter 2-4.

Someone on our 5/26 sailing asked one of the Princess staff who attended our Meet 'n Greet about large vs. small ships. He basically said that Princess makes no money on the small ships and that it's ships like the Crown, Emerald, etc. that pay the way and allow them to operate the smaller ones.

And what does this have to do with cruising? MOST Princess ships/cruises are sold out well in advance without spending $$ on TV advertising. My recent 31-day Sapphire cruise was sold out by September 2006 (yes, over 18 months in advance) and my Diamond cruise in two years already has some categories waitlisted. I don't think Princess needs the media coverage as you are implying.

Their unique itineraries sell out quickly, but their Caribbean and European are just as competitive as all the other lines, so any media coverage will be good.

So they all do compete. I know I look at all of them when making my cruise decision.

They will have to get a new design sooner or later. i am sure Carnival will start a new deign and share it with all their lines like they just did. I am not a big fan of this even though I understand it is cost effective.

We'll probably see something down the road built on the new 130,000 ton hull design that Carnival is coming out with, but to say they "have" to compete with Oasis and F3, well, the Voyager of the Seas came out shy of 9 years ago now and Princess hasn't felt the need since then to build much bigger than what they have had since the late 90's.

One reason I would enjoy seeing a few new Princess ships is that I would like to see some modernizing of the cabin design. Some of the other lines are doing a really great job there (the OP mentioned F3.) I really like a lot of the upgrades to public spaces on Crown/Emerald, but I would love to see some innovation in the cabin design.

The lack of a 2 seater sofa by the balcony end in most Princess cabins is the biggest downside, the fridge on one side vanity unit on the other and that silly little upholstered chair in the middle really makes it seem so cluttered compared with most other lines. So come on Princess let's have a new class of ship and put in the best features from all the other lines, that's the way to stay in pole position.

Princess ships visit unique ports of call inaccessible to larger ships.

Ports are not ready to accommodate the Oasis-class size ship.

well, and let me clarify...they may not need to compete in size but in terms of innovation.... new rooms, new features, new eating places, entertainment concepts....etc. Just things to keep them in the groove.

The next ships Princess will likely order are another set of panamax ships to replace the Sun class one would imagine.

With construction underway in Panama, any current or planned cruise ship will be less than Panamax in about 8 years when the new locks are built. It would be nice to see something new in a 80-90k grt range design, but with economies of scale, I doubt it.

The next ships Princess will likely order are another set of panamax ships to replace the Sun class one would imagine.

Wondering what will be next, panamax ships like the Sun and Coral class or the completion of the widening of the Canal in 2025 that would let all Princess ships sail through?

Hmm, I guess larger then with the expansion. But the Sun class will be the ones to be retired from the fleet since they are the oldest, no? From a corporate buying point of view, it would make more sense to have a common platform which could then be 'custom outfitted' to each of the Carnival brand lines thus leveraging development costs along all brands.

Please God no. I don't think the majority of Princess cruisers run after the latest new shiny bubble thing. The Oasis is awful. Who would possibly want to cruise with that many people? Not to mention the small percentage of ports that could absorb that many people.

Hmm, I guess larger then with the expansion. But the Sun class will be the ones to be retired from the fleet since they are the oldest, no? From a corporate buying point of view, it would make more sense to have a common platform which could then be 'custom outfitted' to each of the Carnival brand lines thus leveraging development costs along all brands.
Actually, most of the Sun-class ships have not been retired but transferred to P&O where they are cruising full. Carnival is already leveraging costs in many areas among their brands but the good thing is that most of this is transparent to the cruiser. They have kept the brands themselves separate with their own identities, which is one of the smartest things they've done. The good news is that Carnival, Princess, HAL, Cunard, Windstar, etc. are all different with different classes and types of ships.

Archived