Anyone else having trouble reaching Alla Tours in St. Petersburg?

Rbel4

We are scheduled for two days of tours in July with Alla in St. Petersburg. Normally she is very responsive to our emails. However, she has not responded to two emails we sent over the past week (sent on June 6 and 9). Is anyone else having troubles in obtaining responses from Alla?

I have just booked with her for my August cruise. Sometimes it took a few days to get an answer. Are you using the special message system or just trying to e-mail her. I found the message system works the best.

This seems to happen every now and then--and it is as frustrating for Alla as it is for you. E-mail is not perfect and many legitimate e-mail addresses end up on spam lists. Here a few things to do to help the situation:

• Check you spam/junk folder. Make sure that e-mail from Alla is not ending up in your junk folder. This can happen even if you have been already having a steady correspondence with her.
  • Put all of her e-mail addresses in your addressbooks. If you have white-list capabilities, put all of her addresses on your white-list.
  • If you have multiple e-mail addresses, send her e-mail from multiple addresses to Alla's multiple e-mail address explaining unreceived answer.
  • If you don't have multiple accounts, you can easily open a freebie with Hotmail or Yahoo.

Alla answers e-mail promptly. If you haven't gotten a reply within 36 hours, there is a problem. E-mail again.

We will be touring with Alla on 7/9- I had not received a confirming email since April, and hadn't printed out the required tickets. I emailed Alla directly at two different addresses over the weekend and also left a message at the interface website. On Monday mid day (PST) there was a response and all ticket info on the website-- thank goodness! I was concerned as two other couples who are touring with us received their ticket info via email attachment weeks ago. I think things slip up so you need to keep up the contact. Good luck

E-mail is not the perfect mode of communication. Things get lost, get filtered out, get blocked and otherwise go astray. Spam filters cause problems.

We have to be careful not to blame the tour companies for these lapses. They have as little control over e-mail as do their clients--and they are even more frustrated than their clients because of the hit their reputations take at this perceived lack of service.

Zuca is right. We need to keep contact and we need to be patient. If you haven't gotten a reply from your tour company in 48 hours, write to them again at as many of their addresses as possible and include an alternate address for contacting you as well.

• 3 years later...

It never ceases to amuse me that people will spend thousands on a cruise and then nickel and dime the excursions. I choose either to do it on my own or go with the ship. It might cost be more expensive, but it something screws up, I know it's not coming out of my wallet.

I have been in touch with Alla for a tour for Aug 2013. She apologized for not getting back with me through email fast enough. However, once I registered on their website message system, I haven't had any lag of information transfer.

Now...I just read Travel writer's post. EGADS. I am going to file this info as "interesting". Since I have time, I will keep a close look on the boards and trip advisor for information that either supports or counters that one review. Besides the "pay up" exchange...and lunch setback...nothing was mentioned about the tours. So a grain of salt perhaps?

If taking Alla this year, please post later a review after you get back. Thanks.

Wow, I find it interesting that you had to post the same post five times and dug one of the posts up from 2008. And that you've never posted anything before this...hope the many, many people that have had positive experience with Alla tours weren't making stuff up to fool the rest of us.

It never ceases to amuse me that people will spend thousands on a cruise and then nickel and dime the excursions. I choose either to do it on my own or go with the ship. It might cost be more expensive, but it something screws up, I know it's not coming out of my wallet.

We used to follow the same thinking that you have - either DIY or ship's excursions. Then, I found Cruise Critic and wondered about why a great number of very experienced cruisers preferred to book tours with private companies. After a great deal of research, we began booking with private tour companies in those ports that we were not DIY.

I can tell you that each of those experiences has been far superior to any ship's tour we have ever been on. I could list tons of reasons why, from the ability to personalize, to not being herded around in buses and large groups, but those points have been stated over and over on these boards. The fact that it may cost less can be an added bonus.

We will never book another ship's tour and it has absolutely nothing to do with "nickel and diming" but all about value and quality. Have you tried a private tour? Can you clarify your concern about "screw ups" and why a private tour and ship's tour would differ in their payment policies? It may be helpful to others weighing the pros and cons.

I used Alla for May 26th and 27th and never had trouble hearing from Alla herself beforehand (as someone mentioned her message system works great) and had a wonderful two days with a guide who was well informed and very fluent in English.

We were told ahead of time that we would have a box lunch one day and a sitdown lunch the other, neither was bad, both were very filling and we couldn't have had a sitdown lunch the first day because of how late our day started.

Alla greeted us on arrival and made sure our guides were there with their groups on the second day.

And we were also told ahead of time that we would have to all pay on the second day and it would take place in a souvenir shop, so that was not something that was surprising. However, I found the souvenir shops Alla Tours took us to MUCH cheaper than anything on our ship.

I would recommend Alla to anyone. It was a good price, the guide was wonderful and we saw so much. The ship tours were more expensive and in huge groups of people (compared to our 13) so I am very happy I used a private company.

Have you tried a private tour? Can you clarify your concern about "screw ups" and why a private tour and ship's tour would differ in their payment policies? It may be helpful to others weighing the pros and cons.

Yes, I've done private tours. In fact, I was in St. Petersburg last year and hired a private guide to show me around the city. On this cruise, I've been to Berlin, so I'm taking a private tour to Wismar when we're in Warnemunde.

Concerning "screw ups," though, I have several. The first one being that of returning to the ship in time for departure. I recall being in the Dominican Republic when highway construction delayed our return to the ship. They waited for us. That wouldn't have happened if it were a private tour. Another concern is the the lack of recourse if something goes wrong. There's just something about having to pay the tour operator in "crisp" US cash that strikes me as a little creepy.

Then what if the ship needs to skip the port? Oslo, recently during the strike, for example. On a ship's tour your reservation is automatically cancelled. A private tour, I don't know. Happened to me in Canada. I guess for me it all boils down to peace of mind. I'm like the original poster of this thread. I worry when I run into a snag. If I have a problem, I like to have the reassurance that the ship's company has my back.

You do understand that you can't do St. Petersburg "on your own", right? You need a Visa, and a sponsor for that visa, which is either the ship or the private tour guide (this is for citizens of the US). And that everyone who has done a ship's tour and a private tour agrees that the private tour is better than the ship's tour (all those people and disinterested guides), so going private is the opposite of nickel and diming.

And that a ship's tour is more expensive than a private tour, which seems pretty wasteful.

Other than that, your post makes sense. Except for the part about bumping a 4 year old thread.

Oh, and that the tour guides in SPB are a whole lot better organized (as are the roads and other infrastructure) than in the Dominican Republic. And that if we're paying cash that means if we miss the stop (in SPB?) that we aren't out any money.

Yes, I've done private tours. In fact, I was in St. Petersburg last year and hired a private guide to show me around the city. On this cruise, I've been to Berlin, so I'm taking a private tour to Wismar when we're in Warnemunde.

Concerning "screw ups," though, I have several. The first one being that of returning to the ship in time for departure. I recall being in the Dominican Republic when highway construction delayed our return to the ship. They waited for us. That wouldn't have happened if it were a private tour. Another concern is the the lack of recourse if something goes wrong. There's just something about having to pay the tour operator in "crisp" US cash that strikes me as a little creepy.

Then what if the ship needs to skip the port? Oslo, recently during the strike, for example. On a ship's tour your reservation is automatically cancelled. A private tour, I don't know. Happened to me in Canada. I guess for me it all boils down to peace of mind. I'm like the original poster of this thread. I worry when I run into a snag. If I have a problem, I like to have the reassurance that the ship's company has my back.

The Dominican Republic is not Russia. The Russian tour operators are all accredited by the government and don't want to lose that accreditation. Most tours in St Petersburg will be within a short distance of the port anyway. I have never heard of a Russian tour operator failing to get a group back to the ship on time. As for tour operators who want payment in cash requiring 'crisp' US notes, I can't see what you mean by saying this is a little creepy. Russian banks will not accept dirty, crumpled or written on notes, so it's obvious why the tour companies don't want them.

Missed ports. Most tour companies are very flexible about this, they have to be. But anyone who books a tour should find out beforehand what the tour company's policy on missed ports and cancellations is. That's just common sense.

We used to follow the same thinking that you have - either DIY or ship's excursions. Then, I found Cruise Critic and wondered about why a great number of very experienced cruisers preferred to book tours with private companies. After a great deal of research, we began booking with private tour companies in those ports that we were not DIY.

I can tell you that each of those experiences has been far superior to any ship's tour we have ever been on. I could list tons of reasons why, from the ability to personalize, to not being herded around in buses and large groups, but those points have been stated over and over on these boards. The fact that it may cost less can be an added bonus.

We will never book another ship's tour and it has absolutely nothing to do with "nickel and diming" but all about value and quality. Have you tried a private tour? Can you clarify your concern about "screw ups" and why a private tour and ship's tour would differ in their payment policies? It may be helpful to others weighing the pros and cons.

Ditto! :)

To the OP: We had a wonderful 2 days with Alla last August. Communication was always superb. I think that it is the busy season for all the tour operators in SPB but if you utilize Alla's message service on her website, you should hear from her promptly. I wouldn't worry...just try her again via her website.

You do make some good points, Ken. But none are new to tour operators or experienced cruisers, many of whom - like us - go totally DIY at most ports.

As Aquilegia's comment, the last stops on our Alla tour were Peter & Paul Fortress & the battle-cruiser Aurora, just 10 to 15 mins from our ship. When the only sights are hours from the port - Cairo is a classic example - only the foolhardy go DIY, and fewer take private tours for the reason you mention. When we DIY, we always have a Plan B (usually the availability of taxis) & avoid reliance on island ferries (which tend to preclude a Plan B). I've no doubt that reliable tour operators have a Plan B & probably a Plan C.

Recourse? An operator's fail-to-show means having to make your own arrangements at the last minute. But is that any different to a ship which cancels a tour last-minute due to insufficient numbers etc? We both know that happens a lot - and without compensation for the grief, just your tour fee refunded.

A cruiser who pays in advance to a foreign tour operator, even one with plenty of recommendations, is asking for trouble if they pay by any means other than credit card. But its a risk paying anyone up-front, even cruise lines go bust !! No such risk with Alla or the other SPB operators - it is they who take the risk that the ship, or the passenger, will not show since they seek no front money & seek payment only at the start of the 2nd day of a two-day tour. On another Baltic thread, a CC member mentioned that one person on their tour failed to show due to illness. As I understand it, Alla simply took the hit. Would the ship have refunded, at least without an expensive visit to the ship's doctor?

BTW, there is a halfway-house. Tours can be booked through worldwide booking agencies such as Viator or City Discovery, giving a little more confidence. We used Viator once, because the operator needed money up-front (understandable, it involved a group visa, HK to China) but we could find insufficient verifyable recommendations. It worked out well & the slightly higher price was worth the peace-of-mind.

Crisp foreign notes - the requirement is widespread in Russia, Vietnam & other parts of the world.

The ship skipping a port. .

Reliability of ports is variable, especially the tendered ones, but yes, we all know it can happen anywhere. Cancellation policies are always worth checking for all up-front shore commitments - car rental, hotels, etc as well as tour operators. Some operators' standard terms specifically include refunds if a ship doesn't port.

I don't suppose I've persuaded you, but hey nobody's right & nobody's wrong, we all do what we feel comfortable with

JB :)

Regarding paying in crisp new notes... this is a hold over of the banks from the communist days. Having lived in Europe and travelled all over especially once the wall fell, it is sooo common that no one accepts any US dollars with markings, rips, tears, creases, etc. (especially in the former Eastern blocked countries). The banks won't take the tattered money. US dollars use to be the currency of the black market and US dollars would hold their value against the local currency for those who were saving for the future would save in US dollars (and I imagine now the Euro also). It also has to do with old money doesn't have the newer security/anit-counterfet built-ins so the newer bills are preferred. Some things change - some don't especially when dealing with bureacracies like banks, govt, etc.

• 1 month later...
I have just booked with her for my August cruise. Sometimes it took a few days to get an answer. Are you using the special message system or just trying to e-mail her. I found the message system works the best.

I have booked the Baltic with Alla tours for 18 Aug and she responds to the personal messaging service. Sometimes you need to repeat message

I have booked the Baltic with Alla tours for 18 Aug and she responds to the personal messaging service. Sometimes you need to repeat message

Toffee, guess we'll be sharing the van, as we're in SPB August 18th & 19th. Do you mind if I ask if you're on the Comfort, Grand, or a custom tour, and whether you're on Marina or another ship?

As to the person who had trouble getting a reply from Alla, I have not had any trouble reaching her. Of course, keep in mind that Russia is 6, 7, or 8 hours ahead of us, so you're likely to receive answers in the morning. Also, she uses that personal folder thing, which is actually a good idea, as so much mail goes to spam. Are you emailing her or using the personal folder?

Ken

With no disrespect meant here, what exactly is "not coming out of your pocket"??. As has been stated here many times already, I have been posting on this site maybe 4 years and in all that time, reading every one's posts during that time, I have never even heard of ONE person saying they even came close to missing their ship. They work you back to the ship as the day goes on and if something did ever happen, you are so close they would have you back there within 1/2 an hour. This is not Egypt, and these tour operators are all licensed, insured and all guarantee that IF the unfortunate thing ever occurred and you did miss the ship, they would pay for you to meet the ship at the next port. It is in their contract.

I am not criticizing you for wanting to take only ship's tours. I have a friend who cruises 3-4 times a year, has over 50 cruises under his belt and never, ever has used a private tour company. That said, he did the same Baltic cruise I did (different cruise lines). he used a ships tour in St Petersburg and we used SPB Tours. We saw more, did more, and we paid a lot less than he did. But he was still happy he did the ship's tour.

Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I scrimped and saved until we had enough money to do this cruise. So after that, things that could save me some money, we used. We did all the other ports on our own. Does that make us bad cruisers because we tried to save some money on excursions?? We saw everything there was to see, and went at our own pace. Stopping where WE wanted to stop, not where some ship's guide takes us, we ate where we wanted to eat, not where some ship's tour took us,a nd when we wanted to stop and sort of smell the roses, we were able to, not be herded into some huge bus along with 60 other people.

Cheers

Len

Archived