What if you want "the best" without formality?

buttah75

What if you're young (or youngish) and enjoy the finer things in life, but not if it means packing formal wear or that the majority of passengers will be much older than you?

What if you're the type of clientele who wants the absolute best in food, service and accommodations, but "smart casual" attire is as far as you want to go while on vacation? (Oh, and your husband can't do the very small ships due to sea sickness!)

What's the best cruise line for someone like this? Does one exist?

Is the ONLY answer booking on a premium line and simply skipping the dining room on formal nights? But then there's still the older age skew in terms of fellow passengers and entertainment...

Is there a market that nobody's serving? Is there a line for people like me? I'd really love to know. And please don't turn this in a formal wear debate - that's not what I'm asking!

What if you're young (or youngish) and enjoy the finer things in life, but not if it means packing formal wear or that the majority of passengers will be much older than you?

What if you're the type of clientele who wants the absolute best in food, service and accommodations, but "smart casual" attire is as far as you want to go while on vacation? (Oh, and your husband can't do the very small ships due to sea sickness!)

Is the ONLY answer booking on a premium line and simply skipping the dining room on formal nights? But then there's still the older age skew in terms of fellow passengers and entertainment...

NCL or Carnival would be great cruise lines for you to try. My DH and I have been on both of these lines and even on "optional formal nights" you don't have to dress up all that much. Your "Sunday Best" will do. I usually wear a nice skirt and top and a pr. of heels. That's for formal night. My main outfit for every other night is usually a fancy haltertop with a Jeans jacket, and nice capri pants with a short-heeled strappy sandal. Its that simple! The DH wears his suit pants (but not the jacket) or Docker-type pants, w/a short-sleeved dress shirt (no tie), and nice dress shoes, on other nights he wears khakis/cargo pants with a golf-type cotton knit shirt and tennis shoes (new & clean). The key here is that all his clothes are in good condtion. No scruffy tennis shoes, no sloppy pants or shirts. His clothes are not expensive, we shop at TJ Maxx, Marshalls. You get the picture.:D We have never felt uncomfortable at any time dressed this way on NCL or Carnival. As you get into the more expensive lines you have to dressup more. We've done those lines too. We don't mind getting all dressed up if that's what's expected. We just choose to be more casual.:) Hope this helps.

Is there a market that nobody's serving? Is there a line for people like me? I'd really love to know. And please don't turn this in a formal wear debate - that's not what I'm asking!

If you want casual NCL and Carnival are great. If you want the best accomodations book a suite or mini-suite. I guess the best food would be the restaurants you pay for. Even there you don't have to dress really fancy. :D

try Seadream yachts...only 300 pax..they have watersport toys..eg jetskis etc. no formal, but resort casual, a younger clientele,(read rich young) free bar included in price...mainly Europe, but some Caribb.etc...bali style daybeds on the decks with waiter service....

cruiseliners really are for us oldies, even though it's supposed to be for all.

but most oldies actually like mixing with the younger crowd...

shame you don't like mixing with us.

As someone posted, Seadream.

Minimum price is about $500.00pp per day for the Caribbean. The Med srarts at $1000pp per day. But they have fall and spring Transatlantics that are much cheaper-in fact they are a real bargain.

Med and Caribbean cruises only-no real exotics. Seadream meets all your requirements.

What if you're the type of clientèle who wants the absolute best in food, service and accommodations, but "smart casual" attire is as far as you want to go while on vacation? (Oh, and your husband can't do the very small ships due to sea sickness!)

If I were you I would try Oceania - no matter what Cruise Line you cruise there are going to be a large number of older guests. THEY have the money and the time. They are the bread and butter of the industry. But I would be willing to bet there will be some passengers close to your age, some younger, some older. And many interesting and fun to talk to and be with. They have no formal nights the entire cruise is 'country club casual'. Great ships, great itineraries, they often have very good specials. Everyone I know that has sailed Oceania loves it. If you do, let us know what you think.

NCL might be the choice for you with their Freestyle Dining System. They do not have formal nights. It is called "Dress up or Not Night" and you will see everything. About 50% of the passengers will be "dressed up" and that will range from tuxes down to shirt/tie. The other 50% will be in resort casual... polo shirt, kahkis and tennis shoes. That is what you will see in every dining room in fact. (main and Specialty.) In fact, jeans are now allowed in all dining venues with the exception of one of the two main dining rooms every night.

You also don't have assigned table mates and can get a table for 2, or four, or more (if you meet someone during the cruise you wish to dine with.) No assigned dining times.

You can stay in your cabin during the last morning until your color is called. No being herded like cattle into a public area the last morning.

As far as passenger mix, my parents have sailed all of the major lines and say that NCL has, by far, the greatest mix of all ages of passengers of any of the main lines. (they said HAL was too "old and slow" for them. They were 75 at the time...lol)

NCL suites have been rated the best in the business. With the new Garden Villas and the private floor (including pool and private deck on the newer ships) for the upper level suites, that may be the accomodation piece that you are looking for.

I will admit that service in the NCL dining rooms can be slow sometimes, but I have never had any complaints about the food.

I'm not sure that you can find everything exactly that you are asking for... but NCL may be the closest. (I would stay away from NCL-A and the Pride of America... it does have the worst service in the NCL fleet.)

Hope this helps.

Wait until you are old enough that you wouldnt mind a mixed crowd of all ages, sounds like you are still maybe too young to enjoy all ages. Its a mental age, not a physical age. I do find that longer cruises than 7 days are going to be a much older crowd, so stick with shorter cruises for one thing.

On Princess in the back of the buffet at dinner time, they set up individual tables with candles and table clothes if you wanted to get off by yourself. they also have more formal dining which includes any time dining.

Have you ever thought about joining the U.S.Navy. There are no formal nights, the ships are small to medium. Your fellow passengers are close in age to you and the food is the best our government can buy. Other than that I would recommend Princess.

If I were you, I would try Carnival. On our cruise in 2007 there were MANY MANY passengers our age (22 & 25), and they're very laid back about dress code. I think they even allow shorts in the dining room now.

We're actually the opposite. Even though we're young, we hated cruising with people our age. In fact, we just got off a Princess cruise where the majority of the passengers were older, and we had a GREAT time. We get along better with the older folk :)

We're young/ish and have only sailed Princess so far but have really took a liking to the line--and we've come from enjoying land based vacations at small boutique style hotels. You'll get a wide range of ages depending on the itineray & length. The food is great and they seem to have a great selection of wine also. (we love good wine) You don't have to participate in formal nights if you don't want to. There's other rest. options on the ship. Plently of people choose not to and there's nothing wrong with that. Its your vacation & you should enjoy it how you like.

If you sail with some of the more luxurious lines, you will get an older demographic but there may also be alot of honeymooners. We've met some wonderful older folks and had a blast with them. Just because of their age doesn't mean they don't know how to have fun! You'd be surprised how many of them can party!!

Hope you find what you're looking for. You can have the best of both worlds

i agree with renting your own yacht. then you can dress as you please and not have to worry about mixing with the ''' others '''.

That's a great idea! You can charter most anything these days from sailing yachts to luxurious power boats to houseboats.

Something for everyone!

You could try Sea Dream, but you'll pay dearly for that. Most of their itineraries will cost you $600 and up, per person, per day. Not a cheap cruise.

I must disagree with those who are recommending cruise lines such as NCL and Carnival. The OP asked for the BEST, and most would agree that neither line offers the best in terms of cruising. While they do offer less formality, they don't offer the best in terms of food and service. They offer a mass market experience, that appeals to a lot of people, but neither line is considered in the "best" category. For that, you'd have to stick with the luxury lines.

You could try Sea Dream, but you'll pay dearly for that. Most of their itineraries will cost you $600 and up, per person, per day. Not a cheap cruise.

I must disagree with those who are recommending cruise lines such as NCL and Carnival. The OP asked for the BEST, and most would agree that neither line offers the best in terms of cruising. While they do offer less formality, they don't offer the best in terms of food and service. They offer a mass market experience, that appeals to a lot of people, but neither line is considered in the "best" category. For that, you'd have to stick with the luxury lines.

I agree with Carnival and NCL not being the best. I recommended Carnival for the laid back dress and younger passengers (depending on the itinerary). If she cruises with a luxury line, isn't she going to have to deal with the formalities of it?

I really don't see how any cruise line out there is going to please this passenger :confused:

First of all, thank you all for your replies. It's all very helpful. Second of all, we are in our forties! Albeit a very liberal and young-at-heart forties. Secondly, I love meeting people of all ages and would expect a mixed age group no matter what line I went with. I meant no disrespect to people of any age group. We know that even seniors know how to party! But I would prefer not to use a cruiseline where (as I've heard on HAL, for example), MOST of the passengers are in their 50's, 60's, or older. I know Carnival isn't for us, and I am of course aware of "free-style" on NCL. But I've heard mixed things about the level of excellence there.

We chose Princess for our upcoming Alaska cruise. We're not your "typical" CC members, in that we've been on only one other cruise - Disney w/the kids. For Alaska, we knew we wanted a cruise, and Princess seemed the "closest" to what we were looking for. I'm sure we'll meet and enjoy many people who are older than we are! Planning that trip led me to CC, and since I've been here, I've had this question in mind.

Again, no disrespect. I was honestly just looking for some answers. And I got them. Some of you mentioned lines I hadn't heard of, so I will check them out. But with my husband being leary of getting sick on smaller ships... it may be that we'll again take non-cruise vacations after Alaska.

Nowadays, you can travel on just about any major cruise line and dress the way you mentioned - however, as others have mentioned, Oceania, Seadream, etc. (luxury cruising) might be a little more dressy. Just book a really nice cabin on the major cruise lines (Princess, HAL, Carnival, RCI, etc.) and then you can dress the way you want to dress - I've seen it all. It's your cruise - do what you want to do. We'll often dress for the 2 formal nights and sometimes we'll change after dinner to be more comfortable.

Laurie

Archived