To wear hose...or not to wear hose...

monakayk

I am a member of the younger generation, and I still like to wear stockings.

I have some very simple rules:

• Skirt suits and closed-toe shoes (pumps, sling pumps, even peep-toe pumps) call for stockings regardless of the temperatures, because it looks so much more polished and professional. The secret here is genuine silk stockings or nylons that stay up by themselves. Alternatively, there are always stockings and garters. Very comfortable and very attractive.
  • Between the months of October and April, I always wear stockings (unless October is as phenomenally warm, as it was last year) with skirts and dresses.
  • Sandals just do not look right with stockings, even those that have the so-called sandal-foot toe. Sandals require bare legs.

For formal wear, I adapt the day rules:

• Evening sandals and bare legs during the warm months regardless of dress length.
  • Stockings and pumps in autumn and winter. In Europe, ladies often wear their boots under their ballgowns and then change into their dance shoes.

I think it looks so silly to see all these women my age and younger in sandals with frozen toes and goose skin on their arms, shoulders and backs (because they don't bring a proper coat) attending events in December, January and February. :confused:

I think this is one of the most intelligent posts on this subject that we've read in months!! :)

• Skirt suits and closed-toe shoes (pumps, sling pumps, even peep-toe pumps) call for stockings regardless of the temperatures, because it looks so much more polished and professional. The secret here is genuine silk stockings or nylons that stay up by themselves. Alternatively, there are always stockings and garters. Very comfortable and very attractive.
  • Between the months of October and April, I always wear stockings (unless October is as phenomenally warm, as it was last year) with skirts and dresses.
  • Sandals just do not look right with stockings, even those that have the so-called sandal-foot toe. Sandals require bare legs.

• Evening sandals and bare legs during the warm months regardless of dress length.
  • Stockings and pumps in autumn and winter. In Europe, ladies often wear their boots under their ballgowns and then change into their dance shoes.

I think it looks so silly to see all these women my age and younger in sandals with frozen toes and goose skin on their arms, shoulders and backs (because they don't bring a proper coat) attending events in December, January and February. :confused:

I agree the look silly when they get a run but lets be honest....its like wearing a light colored shirt and spilling wine....you just need to be careful. I worked in a law firm and if you wore a dress/skirt you were REQUIRED to wear them and if you didn't you were sent home.

The only thing i don't agree with is wearing them with sandals or open-toe shoes but there are some brands that have come up with these type of hose that are great. I posted a picture of what they look like for an idea but i've never tried these.

hosett7.png

The hose looks good with that shoe, but not all sandals have a wide band across the top of the foot. Most of my shoes are very strappy, so those wouldn't work for me.

I honestly don't understandy why, all of a sudden, it's a faux pas to wear hose with sandals. I mean...I wouldn't wear the really dark, opaque granny support hose...but I wear extremely sheer hose with my sandals and you can't even see them. Otherwise, I wouldn't wear them.

I do wear hose with my formal wear and my shoes are high heeled sandals. For dresses that are knee length, I wear no hose, most of the time. I just think there are times when bare legs are inappropriate...and bare legs with formal wear looks "unfinished". I feel elegant when I wear them...and I also feel like a lady. :)

I have to wear hose to work. But that's it. I will not wear them any other time. I don't have any issue with someone else that likes to wear them (why would i??!??), but I just don't. Not with casual or formal wear, and not in the summer or winter. In the winter, if it is too cold (which it can be here quite frequently), i will wear tights.

I totally agree with all your entire post! And as a member of the younger generation (the not quite 30) this is exactly what I do. I especially like the stay ups and if I am wearing a suit in summer, I wear these as they are much cooler. I have tried the sandal toes and have never found them comfortable or they have not matched the cut of my shoe.

The other aspect of stockling/tight/hose wearing that is essential is to ensure that skirts and dresses are lined or that a slip (either half or full) is worn. This means no static or cling and I just think that things sit a lot better.

I might give the legs a glance because I'm not used to seeing hose except on woman over 60, but so what. It's kind of like the dress code debate. A total strangers fashion choices really don't affect me or my day.

Oh, and I don't wear spanx either, I know woman swear by them, but I think they were invented by the devil!

Cruise Kitty,

Too Funny :D...you not being used to seeing hose on women except if they are over 60! I and many of my friends are not at all near 60 and wear them. Guess we like our legs and feet warm even if it 'ages' us and makes us look like we are 60 by younger women. LOL.:D

As for the toe-less hose (in photo above), I have worn those type. They ARE very uncomfortable..at least for me. They slip up my foot after walking around awhile in them and make the hose between my toes hurt that area. Also I always feel like I have to take off my shoes to constantly adjust them, cause they just keep on slipping on my foot. So if I am gonna wear hose with toe-less shoes..they will cover my toes!!!:eek: Full hose are more comfortable and I don't have to be constantly adjusting them.

Well to tell you the truth, I am getting so close to that 60 mark that it scares me!!:( I hadn't really thought about it till I read the post about women over 60 wearing hose! Yikes....:) I remember the first time a clerk here in Florida asked me if I was eligble for the "Senior discount", I was mortified!:eek: Next I'll be having to wear surgical suppport hose!!:D :D

Hose:confused: Isn't that what you use to water your flowers with:p

Hey someone else, who know what a hose pipe is!!!:) When I moved to Florida a few years back from my home in Nashville, I went to the local building supply store and garden center. Asked them for a hose pipe, the man said " Lady I've got hoses, and I've got pipes, but what the heck is a hose-pipe? " I said, you know the thing you water your flowers and yard with". He said" Oh, you mean a garden hose:confused:? and I said, " Yes, that is exactly what I said, a hose pipe!:D So we both learned something that day!!! Sorry ladies, couldn't help it when I read that post!!

That "garden hose" a "hose pipe" here, and it was in Alabama & Louisiana where I grew up and in Georgia where my kids grew up. Must be a southern thing.

The sheer hose women wear are called "stockings" or "nylons".

Isn't that funny? True story though. I even told it again today. I had to go this morning and get the Reclast infusion, and the nurse that put the IV in was from Louisiana. He knew what a "Hose Pipe" was!!:D

That "garden hose" a "hose pipe" here, and it was in Alabama & Louisiana where I grew up and in Georgia where my kids grew up. Must be a southern thing.

LOL :D---> well, I guess it all depends on where in the 'South' you live, cause I moved to SC when I was 13 years old till I was married. Everyone I came across with in stores, my friends, etc. in SC (including my DH family) called then 'hose'.

Cruise Kitty,

Too Funny :D...you not being used to seeing hose on women except if they are over 60! I and many of my friends are not at all near 60 and wear them. Guess we like our legs and feet warm even if it 'ages' us and makes us look like we are 60 by younger women. LOL.:D

As for the toe-less hose (in photo above), I have worn those type. They ARE very uncomfortable..at least for me. They slip up my foot after walking around awhile in them and make the hose between my toes hurt that area. Also I always feel like I have to take off my shoes to constantly adjust them, cause they just keep on slipping on my foot. So if I am gonna wear hose with toe-less shoes..they will cover my toes!!!:eek: Full hose are more comfortable and I don't have to be constantly adjusting them.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I was not trying to. I suppose it also could be a geographical thing. I live in OC in S. Ca, you just don't see hose here. ( At least in my area ) I can't imagine needing to keep my legs warm, it just doesn't get that cold here, and in the winter, I'll sometimes wear skirts that look cute with boots, but still no hose. However, again, woman should wear what they feel comfortable and feminine in!

I hope I didn't offend anyone, I was not trying to. I suppose it also could be a geographical thing. I live in OC in S. Ca, you just don't see hose here. ( At least in my area ) I can't imagine needing to keep my legs warm, it just doesn't get that cold here, and in the winter, I'll sometimes wear skirts that look cute with boots, but still no hose. However, again, woman should wear what they feel comfortable and feminine in!

No offense taken...now it would probably be an awful sight for some of you to see my legs when I haven't been in the sun:o and now that I am older a few of those veins:eek: ...therefore I am doing us all a favor by sticking with the wearing of hosiery....;) :D :)

That's interesting.

I'm not on the yes or no side when it comes to hosiery. I feel that either one can look good or bad depending on the dress, the shoes, the wearer's legs, etc. I think it's an overall picture. Though I do always think that hosiery w/ strappy sandals is a big "no".

On the other hand, skirt's and boots with bare legs? That's a big 'no' for me.

Sandals = no to hose.

Boots - yes to hose.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it! :)

Most people here refer to "stockings" only when they're referring to hosiery that comes up the thigh and is held up by a garter belt. Otherwise they're called pantihose or just hose.

Nylons? I haven't heard that word used in 20 years. My grandmother called them that. Is that term still used around the country?

Most people here refer to "stockings" only when they're referring to hosiery that comes up the thigh and is held up by a garter belt. Otherwise they're called pantihose or just hose.

Nylons? I haven't heard that word used in 20 years. My grandmother called them that. Is that term still used around the country?

I personally use "Stockings" to mean exactly what you describe, but it is a generic term in some localities - seems to be used more in Southern Rural areas. When I moved here to NC, I was surprised to her that even college-age women from the rural areas still use "Pocketbook" to refer to a purse/handbag. I also hear "nylons" from that same demographic.

I love the hose pipe thing! That's too funny. I thought hose pipe was a universal term. Are any of you folks familiar with these terms?

poke = sack or bag "Bought a pig in a poke"

buggy = shopping cart "Put those items in the buggy."

boiler = a cooking pot/sauce pan used to boil liquids

pone = as in a "pone" of cornbread. i think it might be related to a "loaf"

I don't understand why anyone would laugh at anyone else for what they wear. I am concerned about what I put on and that is that. I am no fashion plate myself, but who am I to snicker at someone else?

The only thing I cannot stand is my husband wearing white socks with hard shoes when he has shorts on - UGGGHHH!

On the other hand, skirt's and boots with bare legs? That's a big 'no' for me.

Sandals = no to hose.

Boots - yes to hose.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it! :)

I totally agree. Boots with bare legs look plain silly. Why would you wear boots if it's not cold enough to need covered legs?

It never really gets that cold where I live but I wear boots because they look good with some of my winter skirts. My skirts are longer and you don't see much if anything of my legs but even if more of my legs showed I wouldn't wear hose.

Of course I will never wear hose again. I think if someone feels better wearing hose they should and if they don't then they shouldn't. Life is too short to spend it wishing you could be home to take them off or wishing you had worn them. I can't recall the last time I ever noticed if someone had hose on or not.

poke = sack or bag "Bought a pig in a poke"

buggy = shopping cart "Put those items in the buggy."

boiler = a cooking pot/sauce pan used to boil liquids

pone = as in a "pone" of cornbread. i think it might be related to a "loaf"

I know what all of these terms are! DH husband still laughs when I ask him to get me a 'buggy"!:)

Archived