RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Or Edam, Potsdam, Leerdam, Obdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Schiedam, Werkendam, Didam.................

Sorry, Copper, but we already had the 'Nieuw Amsterdam'! Let's go for 'Madurodam' than we can do the christening in Den Haag in Madurodam's mini port.....:p

Sorry, Copper, but we already had the 'Nieuw Amsterdam'! Let's go for 'Madurodam' than we can do the christening in Den Haag in Madurodam's mini port.....:p

We've already had every ship-name in the fleet except for the Eurodam (either as a -dam or -dyke).

Out of curiosity ... what dining time did you have -- early, main, or open -- and where was your table(s)?

We were in early (unfortunately for a Midnight Sun cruise) upper dining, table 11 (a little ways back and to the left of the front of the main entrance). Table of six. I might add that always in the past we have requested a small window table. This time I just spaced out and did not specify a specific table, which really worked out well for us. The group of us at our table seemed to click and we all felt better for the experience. Ben, Sharon, Father Al - we had fun dining with you all!

We already had many of the names posted here (at least once) plus, being from Den Haag, you must know that Rotterdam V (the mini-me version) is happily floating around at Madurodam:)

Hi Greg! Welcome Home!

I have not been checking in as frequently as I should be the last few days and it is good to see you back and posting.

Virginia and I sure enjoyed your and Christopher's company and we have a lot of wonderful pictures (which I am slowly working through) for our "scrapbook". I hope to be able to share them on-line in the near future.

Also, an additional "welcome home" to Mary Ellen & Karl, RuthC and Scotty!

We were in early (unfortunately for a Midnight Sun cruise) upper dining, table 11 (a little ways back and to the left of the front of the main entrance). Table of six. I might add that always in the past we have requested a small window table. This time I just spaced out and did not specify a specific table, which really worked out well for us. The group of us at our table seemed to click and we all felt better for the experience. Ben, Sharon, Father Al - we had fun dining with you all!

Ah! Ok. The real "problem" kids this cruise appear to have been at main seating, upper level, starboard-side-aft. There were lots of other tables with kids and teens around us, but most of them were fairly innocuous to very well behaved. Our table was forward, starboard side, so they passed us every time they came in and left ... and the problem-kids were continually coming in and going out, alone and in groups, right past us.

Hi Greg! Welcome Home!

I have not been checking in as frequently as I should be the last few days and it is good to see you back and posting.

Virginia and I sure enjoyed your and Christopher's company and we have a lot of wonderful pictures (which I am slowly working through) for our "scrapbook". I hope to be able to share them on-line in the near future.

Also, an additional "welcome home" to Mary Ellen & Karl, RuthC and Scotty!

Thanks, Bill! Tonight I spent several hours processing photos for upload to the internet. Selecting them, putting them into categories, reducing their size for display on the internet, and adjusting lighting/color and such takes time, even with automated photoshop scripts. Given how far I've gotten tonight, it'll be another week before I'm ready. I MAY link to a few samples here before I put up my entire galleries. It all depends upon how I'm doing and what my schedule looks like.

It was great getting to spend time with you and Virginia, and Christopher says he looks forward to doing more of that in the future. I agree. :D

Thank you Greg for your wonderful mini-series of the inaugural trip. I look forward to seeing your photos as time permits.

Maybe HAL could give the new ship a British twist and call it something like, Londam, or Birmingdam, or Southampdam? :D

Rest assure whatever the name it will be dam good.

Thanks again for the entertainment over the past weeks

Peter

HAL should think about having an official name the new ship contest. Has HAL done this already?
Yep, that's how we wound up with Eurodam

But the last time around, only HAL employees got to vote.

About a year ago I sent an email to the Mariner Society suggesting that this time all Mariners be given a chance to vote (from a slate of 5 to 10 candidates), either on-line or via a business-reply postcard in the Mariner magazine. I never received any acknowledgement that they even read the email. :(

But the last time around, only HAL employees got to vote.

And, to make it worse, only one vote counted. ;) Can we guess whose vote that was?

About a year ago I sent an email to the Mariner Society suggesting that this time all Mariners be given a chance to vote (from a slate of 5 to 10 candidates), either on-line or via a business-reply postcard in the Mariner magazine. I never received any acknowledgement that they even read the email. :(

That sounds about par for the course when dealing with HAL's Mariner office. Oh, I'm sure that they read the e-mail, however it's not an idea that would have wings in Seattle. They probably already have a name ... why joggle their elbows with good ideas.

IF HAL chooses a sensible historic name, like "Spaarndam", I'll be pleasantly surprised. But I'm not holding my breath on it. I expect another dumb name choice.

Ameridam? ;)

That's what I'm afraid of. That, or possibly some other made-up name to reflect the American side of the line's "European heritage" -- like Columbiadam or Libertydam or Freedomdam or some such other name like that, a name that would appeal to the "masses" in the States. I want a TRADITIONAL Holland America Line name ... either an historic damship name or a dyke ship name that has been converted to a damship name. That's the way to give honor to the line's history and traditions, not making up new names out of thin air ... like "Eurodam."

That's what I'm afraid of. That, or possibly some other made-up name to reflect the American side of the line's "European heritage" -- like Columbiadam or Libertydam or Freedomdam or some such other name like that, a name that would appeal to the "masses" in the States. I want a TRADITIONAL Holland America Line name ... either an historic damship name or a dyke ship name that has been converted to a damship name. That's the way to give honor to the line's history and traditions, not making up new names out of thin air ... like "Eurodam."

I couldn't agree more. "Lbertydam" and "Freedomdam" are a particularly frightening thought. I hope they have the sense to not go down that road...but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks, Bill! Tonight I spent several hours processing photos for upload to the internet. Selecting them, putting them into categories, reducing their size for display on the internet, and adjusting lighting/color and such takes time, even with automated photoshop scripts. Given how far I've gotten tonight, it'll be another week before I'm ready. I MAY link to a few samples here before I put up my entire galleries. It all depends upon how I'm doing and what my schedule looks like.

It was great getting to spend time with you and Virginia, and Christopher says he looks forward to doing more of that in the future. I agree. :D

That's what I've been doing too!:p Just posted my FIRST of many installments on SmugMug. This is the Venice (new build) portion of my trip. You can see alot of Eurodam being constructed...interesting. I only got to St Marks one night but I got to Mestre a few times to shop, hope you like the pics!:D (just click on the link below)

Nathan

That's what I've been doing too!:p Just posted my FIRST of many installments on SmugMug. This is the Venice (new build) portion of my trip. You can see alot of Eurodam being constructed...interesting. I only got to St Marks one night but I got to Mestre a few times to shop, hope you like the pics!:D (just click on the link below)

Nathan

Great pictures Nathan, waiting to hear "the rest of the story". :cool:

Nathan

Nathan: Your pictures are wonderful. I'm sorry that the job didn't work out for you. What are you up to now?

There are plenty of traditional "dam" names available so I wouldn't go to the "dijk's" yet. If you talk to any Dutch officer, you'll find them shaking their heads about the name Eurodam. It would be nice if they picked a "traditional" name like Spaarndam but I won't be holding my breath!

Archived