RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Hello, everyone! We got home 2 days ago, but I've been quite busy getting things running again here at the ranch.

We enjoyed our Prelude and Inaugural cruises to the max! Wonderful ship, great people all around us, and really excellent weather. (One day of rain didn't hurt us.) The officers showing up for our CC meet-and-greet was classy. Thanks, gentlemen!

Someone asked about Canaletto, and Greg said, "the Eastern European waiters are as warm as the IRS." I would have to agree. My DW asked for iced tea. When she hadn't received any and the entrees arrived, she asked again. The waiter said, "First things first. Let me deliver the entrees while they're hot then I'll get your tea." I just thought it quite rude. The food was just okay, IMO. Not worth missing the dining room. I can't recommend it.

Tamarind, on the other hand, is a big winner. Don't miss it!

The Pinnacle was just okay, too, so far as I'm concerned. Not up to par with the way it used to be.

It was SO great sailing with the great CC bunch.

Greg is doing a great job of reporting. It was a wonderful experience for us. Just hated to leave last Tuesday.

Welcome back to reality, Jim. Glad you had a great time!

You're in good company, Jim. I read an on-line review of the pre-inaugural, I believe (I believe a travel writer from USAToday) who complained about the food in the Pinnacle, and said that Stein Kruse was dining in the Pinnacle at the same time, and sent back his rack of lamb because it was under cooked!

Hello, everyone! We got home 2 days ago, but I've been quite busy getting things running again here at the ranch.

We enjoyed our Prelude and Inaugural cruises to the max! Wonderful ship, great people all around us, and really excellent weather. (One day of rain didn't hurt us.) The officers showing up for our CC meet-and-greet was classy. Thanks, gentlemen!

Someone asked about Canaletto, and Greg said, "the Eastern European waiters are as warm as the IRS." I would have to agree. My DW asked for iced tea. When she hadn't received any and the entrees arrived, she asked again. The waiter said, "First things first. Let me deliver the entrees while they're hot then I'll get your tea." I just thought it quite rude. The food was just okay, IMO. Not worth missing the dining room. I can't recommend it.

Tamarind, on the other hand, is a big winner. Don't miss it!

The Pinnacle was just okay, too, so far as I'm concerned. Not up to par with the way it used to be.

It was SO great sailing with the great CC bunch.

Greg is doing a great job of reporting. It was a wonderful experience for us. Just hated to leave last Tuesday.

Welcome home Jim! I'm glad your luggage made it!!!

Oh my ... I'm SO tired I could barely keep my eyes open for my shore excursion in Helsinki this afternoon. Ugh! But ... it's been wonderful! :D

I have a LONG report partly written about St. Petersburg and the condition of the ship. I plan on posting tomorrow (I hope). If not, I will post it during our stop in Germany (where I'm doing NOTHING ... for a change).

We departed Helsinki about an hour ago and are heading for Stockholm. It promises to be a nice night. There's a captains reception for 100+ day passengers tonight, followed by a Casual Night dinner.

The children are still running. Last night, at dinner, a pack of four came running through the Main Dining Room. Adele, Emily, and Ruth all stated (sternly) and in Unison (unplanned!): "Stop running!" They did, but stared at them as they passed by our table and then out. The returned less than a minute later, entering the dining room on the opposite side and going all the way around to get their table without having to pass by our's. As they went, they stared at our table. Adele waved at them as the went. Although I wasn't there, I was told that today the same pack of kids were running around the Lido deck, and one of them kept sticking his tongue out at Adele.

Several nights ago, after midnight, the same pack of kids were playing "elevator races" with the outside midship elevators. And, reports are that there has been a lot of crying and yelling going on in the Main Deck hallways. One family was having trouble with their children throwing a temper tantrum in the hall, so they just closed the door on her, leaving her lying on the floor in the middle of the corridor, screaming her head off.

In short ... it's not gotten any better.

I've got to get up and shower and get ready for the captain's reception. So, I'll leave you with one photo taken yesterday in St. Petersburg.

edam106.jpg

thanks for this beautiful photo, can't wait to read you report of St Petersburg. I was so happy to see the people in casual clothing as it helps me to guess what to pack for my upcoming 25 day cruise.

to bad about the children that are misbehaving. hopefully the majority of the children on board are being little angels. Jane

Rev. Neal: John (jtl513)and I loved Warnamunde. We chose to not go to Berlin and take it easy but walked along the port and ate at one of the restaurants near the fishing boats. At that time everything was in German and not many people knew Eng. due to the fact that they were E. Germans. I just pointed at a fish dinner and hoped it wasn't raw. It was very good! Whatever it was! Many of the crew also were walking around. Maybe they could give you some hints on where to go. Enjoy! Carol

We departed Helsinki about an hour ago and are heading for Stockholm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

RevNeal-

Be sure you all get to bed early tonight so you are up and out on deck with your coffee and croissants in the wee small hours of the morning as you travel the archipelago coming into Stockholm. It is one of the highlights of that whole Baltic cruise.

It sounds as though you are enjoying the sights, if not the children, on this leg of the journey. We are really enjoying all of your posts. Thank you!

The children are still running. Last night, at dinner, a pack of four came running through the Main Dining Room. Adele, Emily, and Ruth all stated (sternly) and in Unison (unplanned!): "Stop running!" They did, but stared at them as they passed by our table and then out. The returned less than a minute later, entering the dining room on the opposite side and going all the way around to get their table without having to pass by our's. As they went, they stared at our table. Adele waved at them as the went. Although I wasn't there, I was told that today the same pack of kids were running around the Lido deck, and one of them kept sticking his tongue out at Adele.

Several nights ago, after midnight, the same pack of kids were playing "elevator races" with the outside midship elevators. And, reports are that there has been a lot of crying and yelling going on in the Main Deck hallways. One family was having trouble with their children throwing a temper tantrum in the hall, so they just closed the door on her, leaving her lying on the floor in the middle of the corridor, screaming her head off.

edam106.jpg

I have one word....BABYWISE

I wish I could pass them out when people leave the hospital. Its a great book that teaches parents how to love their kids without making them the center of the family and rule the household. Some think I am a little crazy because my children are "scheduled". But you know what? I have 2 hours to myself in the afternoon while my girls are napping, and my 9 mont old has been sleeping through the night since she was 10 weeks. My children are not perfect, know they are loved, but do not scream and throw fits in public! Anyway, I digress...back to cruise talk.

Oh my ... I'm SO tired I could barely keep my eyes open for my shore excursion in Helsinki this afternoon. Ugh! But ... it's been wonderful! :D

I have a LONG report partly written about St. Petersburg and the condition of the ship. I plan on posting tomorrow (I hope). If not, I will post it during our stop in Germany (where I'm doing NOTHING ... for a change).

We departed Helsinki about an hour ago and are heading for Stockholm. It promises to be a nice night. There's a captains reception for 100+ day passengers tonight, followed by a Casual Night dinner.

In short ... it's not gotten any better.

I've got to get up and shower and get ready for the captain's reception. So, I'll leave you with one photo taken yesterday in St. Petersburg.

edam106.jpg

The Church of Our Savior on the Spilled Blood

Thanks SO MUCH Rev....with you in spirit.

Cheers

Mark

at the next stop you as a group should find the nearest pet supply store and purchase cheap leashes to pass out to the parents of the running animals saying, "I believe you need this to leash your running animal" then duck and run.

By this time i would have found their cabins and slipped notes under doors on HAL paper Sealed in HAL envelopes, it would have looked official enough for the kids to leave alone.

I never put up with my children doing this nor should anyone put up with it. Hal would get an ear full...I'm still laughing at the kid who got tummy blasted by RevNeal...too bad he didn't add a little extra UMPH.

I have one word....BABYWISE

I wish I could pass them out when people leave the hospital. Its a great book that teaches parents how to love their kids without making them the center of the family and rule the household. Some think I am a little crazy because my children are "scheduled". But you know what? I have 2 hours to myself in the afternoon while my girls are napping, and my 9 mont old has been sleeping through the night since she was 10 weeks. My children are not perfect, know they are loved, but do not scream and throw fits in public! Anyway, I digress...back to cruise talk.

AMEN! It sounds like what I call the "spoiled parent syndrome".

We have three kids, our youngest being 16 now. They were never allowed to conduct themselves in that manner and did not. Of course, the children only become a reflection of the parents that are raising them.

RevNeal, the picture of St. Petersburg was beautiful.

I'm sorry to hear about those unruly children. Why isn't HAL doing something about it?

Is there anything in the contract that would cover taking some type of disciplinary action to stop this from reoccurring over and over again?

I'm glad you continue posting.

The hardest thing is to say "no" to a child, mean it and make them mind, and do what you say....that requires the parents timem again and again and again. Those of us who have raised well behaved children know this to be true. its work to raise a child correctly. But if done right, it brings amazing rewards which i think the "wild childrens parents" will not see

its easy to say "yes", easy to look the other way...i have a feeling that the parents of these wild children never heard "no" either and were allowed to do just as they pleased. I am sure their house is never blissful and orderly.

This could easily ruin my cruise and God bless you if you can look the other way,,,but HAL would hear about it.

We have a little discussion going on about the present CD on the Eurodam and were wondering if you could find out some info for us...like how long he will be onboard and where his next contract might be taking him. Thanks Greg! :)

Sounds to me like the waiter was very, very overwhelmed. Did he have a lot of tables in his station?

Blue skies ...

--rita

The Eastern European waiters we had in Canaletto were the best we had on the Eurodam, much better than in the main dinning room (IMO). We were actually able to get a bottle of wine before our main course arrived. The menu also changed every two days which I thought was a nice touch.

The Eastern European waiters we had in Canaletto were the best we had on the Eurodam, much better than in the main dinning room (IMO). We were actually able to get a bottle of wine before our main course arrived. The menu also changed every two days which I thought was a nice touch.

Do you know if anyone has a sample menu from Canaletto?

Do you know if anyone has a sample menu from Canaletto?

I tried to hunt it down on the "Blog" -- couldn't find it.

Then somewhere way back in Greg's thread here he mentioned that one evening he noticed several items that he would have liked to have had for dinner. But when they went there the next night, the menu was different.

Archived