HAL in Curacao

Oceanwench

Curacao isn't a tender port. The ship docks a short distance from town. It's walkable for most people. If there were fireworks, I don't remember them! I much preferred Curacao over Aruba.

Roz

We have been to Cruacao quite a few times the last couple of years on different ships.

We docked at the International Pier which is not near town. It is quite a walk to town. There are taxis out in front of the pier to take to town -- but you will have to go the long way as taxis are not permitted on the Queen's floating bridge.

Also we haven't had any fireworks in about 3 years.

Hi Ocean :)

LTNS

I've been to Curacao a few years ago on Statendam, and the town put on a fireworks show. (We sailed at 10pm)

From what I understand, it's only done for HAL vessels that are sailing late at night.

Enjoy the island ... it's beautiful!

The ship docks and it varies where.

We docked at the downtown in December as Lloyds came to inspect the hull of Maasdam. Quite an operation to watch, by the way.

No more fireworks. Budget cutting. A real pity as they were such fun and so beautiful. Made for a fun sailaway and the locals loved to stand on the shore, enjoy the fireworks and wave the Dutch ship away from their Dutch island.

A big disappointment to no longer provide them. It was a lovely tradition we all enjoyed immensely.

:D we've been there twice--the second time (in Feb) we docked near the bridge, right in the middle of town--it was great! I think docking at the end of town would be a challenge for anyone with a mobility issue

sadly, no fireworks....but it was really cool watching the pilot back that huge ship out of the channel:D

DH and I are looking at cruising possibilities. It's been a while!!!

Is Curacao a tender port?

If not, does the ship dock right in town?

Is this the port where there are fireworks as the ship leaves?

As Roz wrote, Cuarcao is not a tender port. There are two docking areas, one near downtown and one a bit further out. I was there in Feb and we had the "downtown" docking area where another cruise ship had the one further out. I definitely prefer the downtown dock, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on, the walk to the main shopping area is reasonable and watching and crossing the pontoon bridge is a unique experience, as is the passenger ferry when the bridge is open due to traffic. There's a freight port and a refinery just up the inlet from the downtown dock, so there's lots of ship traffic. There are a good number of vendor stands on the way from the dock to the bridge and just after crossing the bridge. Some have unique offerings, but many have the normal tourista stuff. The market area just after crossing is interesting, a pedestrian shopping area that is filled with tourists and locals. The town itself is most interesting, reflecting its Caribbean heratage with interesting buildings and architecture. I tend to enjoy cruising the port after wandering around for a while in the morning, and Curacao is one of my favorite places to do this (the other being Honolulu). The island is a coral island, and it's interesting to see the various coral strata in the hills.

I'm on a cruise in Dec. and will revisit Curacao. If you're wondering, I'm looking forward to it.

The mega pier is like a 10-15 minutes walk to downtown Willemstad, so no big deal at all.And you will go thru the riffort village which is an old fort and now it's a shopping mall with a lot of shops and different bars and restaurants and one of the best restaurant here on the island which is a member of the chaine de les rottiseurs.

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information!

I sounds wonderful. I am sorry to hear they don't have fireworks anymore. I knew I had read it about some island, thought it was Curacao, but that was a few years ago.

Docking in the harbor sounds like it is much better than outside of town.

How far out is the out-of-town dock? More than a mile?

Desdemona, DH won't be getting off in port anyway. But thanks for pointing that out to me!

So, is it the luck of the draw, which ships get to dock in the harbor and which don't?

We love Aruba as well. To sail late from either port is fun. Great to be able to have dinner ashore in either of those lovely islands and return to the ship all lit up and looking beautiful!!

But, yes.......we miss the fireworks in Curacao.

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information!

I sounds wonderful. I am sorry to hear they don't have fireworks anymore. I knew I had read it about some island, thought it was Curacao, but that was a few years ago.

Docking in the harbor sounds like it is much better than outside of town.

How far out is the out-of-town dock? More than a mile?

Desdemona, DH won't be getting off in port anyway. But thanks for pointing that out to me!

So, is it the luck of the draw, which ships get to dock in the harbor and which don't?

Yes....it is quite a walk and can be warm. We're walkers and enjoy it but know that not every one can or wants to walk that distance.

It is about a mile -- you do have to go through the fort -- lots of shops there -- and we have eaten there as well.

I used to love it when they had the fireworks -- we haven't seen them since 2004.

Is it really four years already or were you not there in 2005/2006?

When will you be in Curacao?

We are still looking ...

Have not booked.

I am intrigued by the 7-day cruises that call on Aruba and Curacao.

DH thinks maybe January or February. We want to avoid spring breakers, so we won't go into March or April.

If we can't get one of the cabins we want, then we'll set our sights on November 2009.

It is about a mile -- you do have to go through the fort -- lots of shops there -- and we have eaten there as well.

I used to love it when they had the fireworks -- we haven't seen them since 2004.

A mile? Piece o' cake!!!

And lots of shops are good.

Not like St. Thomas though?!!:eek:

I think I am all shopped out from there and I'm looking for new ports to visit.

A mile? Piece o' cake!!!

And lots of shops are good.

Not like St. Thomas though?!!:eek:

I think I am all shopped out from there and I'm looking for new ports to visit.

The majority of them are small boutique shops. And inside the fort there are benches for you sit on while you cool off.

Walking across the Pontoon Bridge is fun!!

We usually have a drink and/or an appetizer after we return from at a restaurant on the top level of the fort -- they have elevators to get there -- rest rooms -- and great view of the town and channel and the ocean.

No it is not like St Thomas. Once you get to town there are not a lot of people hassling you to see their shop. We have spent many times walking all the back streets.

Archived