Hopefully the ultimate Aft thread with Pictures (vent, and beams)

flvol77

Adding my 2 cents about the value of this thread! Thank you flvol77 and others for the great work. We used this valuable information to book our cruise in October 2010 in the B749 aft cabin! Based on the pix and comments - can't wait!

We are going to take our first Princess cruise on board the Ruby on October also and thanks to your valuable help we decided for our first AFT on the baja deck 748. We had herd a lot of good comments about Princess and hope to love her and hope to adore our cabin. Cheers.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but with the newer ships (Emerald, Ruby) are the PS suites near the vents still getting those odor issues? We're looking at 2011 for our big anniversary and would like to reserve something really special for our cabin. We've only had balconies before, but bonine works for us so the motion shouldn't be a problem but I'm concerned with the smell issues.

Many thanks!!

We just got off the Emerald 2 wks ago and had our first aft balcony B-752. The view was beautiful, the balcony was big (room enough for 4 chairs and a small table) BUT the smell made us sick!!!

It smelled just like a landfill and we kept hoping that the wind would change or maybe when the ship turned another direction it would go away or get better, but and it didn't.......the smell was there 24/7.

I'm not trying to keep anyone from getting an aft that really wants one, but for us it was not a good experience. We paid more $$$ for a balcony we could not use.

We just got off the Emerald 2 wks ago and had our first aft balcony B-752. The view was beautiful, the balcony was big (room enough for 4 chairs and a small table) BUT the smell made us sick!!!

It smelled just like a landfill and we kept hoping that the wind would change or maybe when the ship turned another direction it would go away or get better, but and it didn't.......the smell was there 24/7.

I'm not trying to keep anyone from getting an aft that really wants one, but for us it was not a good experience. We paid more $$$ for a balcony we could not use.

Thank you for the advice, im choosing a corner far away from the vents and hope to scape to the odor, but im going to seriously about this matter

We are going to take our first Princess cruise on board the Ruby on October also and thanks to your valuable help we decided for our first AFT on the baja deck 748. We had herd a lot of good comments about Princess and hope to love her and hope to adore our cabin. Cheers.

Excellent staterrom 268 sq. ft. including balcony. But don't get confussed with BEAMS. Some do have Columns. Beams are horizontal and overhead; columns verticle, therefore can block your view. The misuse of the word BEAM has been going on for over two years.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok Riveria 750 is currently avil. on our next cruise, We are in B749 right now. I am wondering if that cabin is any better as it would be nice to be a few decks higher. does anyone have pics ?? Thanks

On the deck plan it looks like B749 has a larger balcony. Why would you want to be higher?

If you really want to know I would pose this question as the title of a new thread. Not everyone reads posts at the bottom of old threads.

Ok Riveria 750 is currently avil. on our next cruise, We are in B749 right now. I am wondering if that cabin is any better as it would be nice to be a few decks higher. does anyone have pics ?? Thanks

Moving Pro: Much closer to Terrace Pool, bar and buffet.

Moving Con: Much less privacy on a smaller balcony.

I think you have to decide what is most important to you.

I have R751 booked currently and the reviews coming in are not too good, but most of them have been from the innermost two cabins. I'm not sure how the outer two cabins will be. I'm just hoping for the best!

Beware of this cabin, there is a review on it that came up in the last day or 2 and it says NO privacy from the aft pool above.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102496

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Beware of this cabin, there is a review on it that came up in the last day or 2 and it says NO privacy from the aft pool above.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102496

Just had a look at the photos. No wonder they are still vacant. I would never book them.

• 3 weeks later...

wow GREAT THREAD!!! I just booked on the Caribbean Princess the caribe level aft balcony C752. Good choice? I htink you had a pic posted. I read alot on here about caribe level in general has great balconies. WHat will the difference be between a balcony on either side of the ship on the caribe level vs the aft???

I hate to saythis but I have only ever crusied RCCL and their D1 category (balcony cat) aft balconies seem much bigger then the pics I am seeing here. True?

wow GREAT THREAD!!! I just booked on the Caribbean Princess the caribe level aft balcony C752. Good choice? I htink you had a pic posted. I read alot on here about caribe level in general has great balconies. WHat will the difference be between a balcony on either side of the ship on the caribe level vs the aft???

Balconies on the side on Caribe are 9x9. On the aft they are larger. I've never measured but maybe 9x11 or 11x11. HUGE

I hate to saythis but I have only ever crusied RCCL and their D1 category (balcony cat) aft balconies seem much bigger then the pics I am seeing here. True?

Never been on RCCL. Someone else please answer this one.

We've booked C753 on the Emerald for Apr. 2011...Our first cabin on Caribe deck...

We have had C752 or C753 on our last 7 cruises and never had any foul smells. Spent many

hours on our balcony. These are the best balcony's on the ship in my opinion. You cannot get a better balcony on the ship.

Very true.....the D1 aft on Royal are wider and much deeper...now they are REALLY huge compared to Princess' aft cabins. One good thing is that on Princess' aft cabins....when standing by the railing, you have a straight view down into the water where as on Royal their ships have the superstructure in front of you.

The difference between the side balconies on the Caribe deck vs. the aft is maybe a tiny bit larger on aft however they are totally enclosed where the side Caribe balconies are half open and half closed.

You made a great choice, do not worry......these cabins are very desirable and you got pretty lucky getting it so close to your cruise.

Just found this thread but the timing is perfect. We are booking the Saphire for January 2011 and thanks to this thread we will be booking C748. This will be our first balcony as we always book inside rooms.

Thanks for all of the photos and comments.

Darlene & Bob

We're just off the Sapphire Princess, D-738 (VS portside). The cabin was great, and the balcony was the best we've ever had - I just loved the teak furniture and the near-total privacy - the only people who could have seen us were the next door neighbors, and since they were busy watching football we hardly saw them.

The column was no problem for us at all. The two loungers were all the way on the side and the dining room table was tucked behind the column. We did the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and rearranged the table so we would both have a good view (although it was just a night wake view, it was spectacular). If you're inclined to lie on the sofa and look out, you would see the column, but if I'm lying down it's either in bed or a deck chair.:D

The wake noise was so loud that I couldn't have heard a vent, and we smelled nothing but the occasional whiff of diesel from the exhaust.

I will say that the cabin rocked, though - it's almost as if there's a hinge on the stern that makes it wobble back & forth in rough water! It wasn't enough to make me sick (that happens sometimes) but it was very nocticeable, as were some vibrations whenever we docked. Neither of those would deter me from booking either Dolphin Deck VS again, in fact we've booked the starboard side for next December. Loved it!

In my opinion B748 is the best aft cabin on that deck. We were in it on Crown (same layout) in October and it is a great balcony. We had the one that our friends seemed to congregate on because of the size, no obstructions and right on the corner so great views.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cabin b757 on hold on the Ruby Princess. I'm concerned about the vents. Has anyone had a cabin next to any of the vents at the rear of this class of ships? How noisy is it? Can a person have a conversation without having to shout?

Thanks for you opinions.