AOS: one shot only

Hi, AOS out of San Juan will be first cruise for both of us. My wife is not easily entertained, thus the port intensive itinerary.

Question: Has anyone tried the "Murder Mystery Night" in Portofino? It sounds like great fun. Please let me know. If the wife doesn't love this cruise, I'll never get her on another. Thanks

My DH didn't want to go on a cruise, never, ever, stop mentioning it!!! Finally got him on one after five years of refusing, AOS out of San Juan. The first day home he had picked out the next one and started counting the days. I'm planning a trip to Beijing for next year but suddenly two weeks ago he decided he had to have another cruise first. So don't worry too much, there is so much going on that your wife is bound to find something that she loves.

em

Hi, AOS out of San Juan will be first cruise for both of us. My wife is not easily entertained, thus the port intensive itinerary.

Question: Has anyone tried the "Murder Mystery Night" in Portofino? It sounds like great fun. Please let me know. If the wife doesn't love this cruise, I'll never get her on another. Thanks

What type of entertainment (shows, bars, outdoorsy stuff, shopping?) does she like on shore? Let us know and we'll point you towards the ship-board equivalent.

We've done the Murder Mystery Night in Portofino on AOS several times. My husband doesn't usually care to go to the shows, but he absolutely loves going to the muder mystery dinners. It begins in one of the other lounges, with champagne and appetizers, and the crime takes place. Then you proceed to Portofino's where the play continues, and the "characters" take turns sitting at each table while you ask them questions, to try to determine who the murderer is. More scenes between courses. It's really good fun. I would be very surprised if you and your wife didn't enjoy it and also the islands on the AOS itinerary. There is lots to do on this ship as well.

Suzanne

I don't know about AOS but everyone says that the ice shows on Explorer are not to be missed.

You may also want to check here or on the web to see if anyone has sample Compasses from your cruise. It will allow you to see how many different things are offered during a typical cruise. The Compass changes for each cruise, but it still gives you a general idea of how much is going on at all times.

Also, about your original question, I have read a couple of reviews and the general opinion is that it is cheesy, but fun. People also agree that the food at Portifinos is better at other times, but still good for this dinner show.

Be SURE to check your Compass (daily on board activities list and daily info) when you first arrive for activities that day and evening, and every evening thereafter for the next day and evening's activities. In fact for first cruisers I can recommend the first timers guided ship tour boarding day afternoon. There are so many things to do. Don't miss the ice show. Tickets are free, but you do need to pick them up. There are usually 3 different ice show days and times to chose from.

DH was the same way. Our first cruise was on AOS and he is now addicted! We are taking our 4th in 3 years this fall. :)

When we were on AOS, they didnt have that murder dinner. But some other great options DH and I loved:

The Duck and Dog, the pub on Promenade. Every night they had Irish singalongs, we had the BEST time there! We closed the place down almost every evening!

The Quest game, its a must do!

The Ice Show - amazing!

Love and Marriage Show, she will laugh her bum off!

AOS is a great ship! Im sure she will just love it.

The Duck and Dog, the pub on Promenade. Every night they had Irish singalongs, we had the BEST time there! We closed the place down almost every evening!

The Quest game, its a must do!

The Ice Show - amazing!

Love and Marriage Show, she will laugh her bum off!

AOS is a great ship! Im sure she will just love it.

We are thinking about booking the AOS...will be the first time on RCCL.

Can someone tell me what the Quest game is?

My advice....turn on the romance. Before the cruise give her cash for a new formal dress and to have her hair and nails done. Have Champagne and strawberries ordered for the day you arrive with a lovely card for her. They sell flowers on the Promenade for formal night. They even have a towel swan and rose petal arrangement to be left on your bed one night. Wouldn't hurt to the do the couples massage in the spa. If she sees that being on a cruise makes you feel like you are on your honeymoon all over again....she will be as addicted to wanting that as she will be for the cruise itself.

We sailed AOS in April 08, I Highly recommend the luggage program. Made things a whole lot easier and less stresses at airport.

Details on AOS--using the Airline and

Express Luggage Valet service.

1.)Received flyer to fill out inside a nightly compass on the bed- I think Tues night?

2.)Requirements on using on Adventure of Seas San Juan:

Flight must be with:

1.)American,Continental,United,Delta,US Airways,Jet Blue,Air Tran and Northwest.

2.)Your initial flight and connecting must be with SAME airline.

3.)Your flight must be within United States (including Puerto Rico, Alaska,Virgin Islands and Hawaii included)

4.)Your flight must depart after 11:00 am and before 11:00 pm on the day ship arrives in San Juan.

5.)The maximum number of checked luggage pieces per person is two (2).

How it worked- fill out the form with names as appear on reservation and flight number, and record locator (the confirmation number). Submit to guest relations by Friday at 6pm.

(We were in a grand suite so submitted to concierge)

The cost is $20 per person (we were in suite and said it was no longer free service, but found no charge on our bill) and on the last night of cruise we found envelope on bed containing the printed boarding passes for leaving San Juan and our connecting flight for each person. Also barcoded luggage tag to put on each bag before putting in hallway before midnight.

Departure day- listen for color to be called. Once off ship, locate luggage by color- proceed with luggage in tow thru customs- give them one paper per family. Then the "express" counters will be straight ahead to take luggage. (Yes they do weigh it.) From there just get a cab and proceed directly to airport security with your pre-printed boarding passes (no loading luggage, or lines at airport to deal with.)

* I also suggest arriving day before and stay in hotel much more relaxing- and your feet are in location ship leaves from; way less stress- try priceline for great hotel deals- FYI: AOS is not old San Juan Pier, but Pan American.

I have a day by day lengthy review posted if you are doing the Aruba,Curacao route. Do a search for posts under name buffetfan.

We sailed AOS in April 08, I Highly recommend the luggage program. Made things a whole lot easier and less stresses at airport.

Details on AOS--using the Airline and

Express Luggage Valet service.

1.)Received flyer to fill out inside a nightly compass on the bed- I think Tues night?

2.)Requirements on using on Adventure of Seas San Juan:

Flight must be with:

1.)American,Continental,United,Delta,US Airways,Jet Blue,Air Tran and Northwest.

2.)Your initial flight and connecting must be with SAME airline.

3.)Your flight must be within United States (including Puerto Rico, Alaska,Virgin Islands and Hawaii included)

4.)Your flight must depart after 11:00 am and before 11:00 pm on the day ship arrives in San Juan.

5.)The maximum number of checked luggage pieces per person is two (2).

How it worked- fill out the form with names as appear on reservation and flight number, and record locator (the confirmation number). Submit to guest relations by Friday at 6pm.

(We were in a grand suite so submitted to concierge)

The cost is $20 per person (we were in suite and said it was no longer free service, but found no charge on our bill) and on the last night of cruise we found envelope on bed containing the printed boarding passes for leaving San Juan and our connecting flight for each person. Also barcoded luggage tag to put on each bag before putting in hallway before midnight.

Departure day- listen for color to be called. Once off ship, locate luggage by color- proceed with luggage in tow thru customs- give them one paper per family. Then the "express" counters will be straight ahead to take luggage. (Yes they do weigh it.) From there just get a cab and proceed directly to airport security with your pre-printed boarding passes (no loading luggage, or lines at airport to deal with.)

* I also suggest arriving day before and stay in hotel much more relaxing- and you are in location ship leaves from, not relying on airline day ship leaves; way less stress- try priceline for great hotel deals- FYI: AOS is not old San Juan Pier, but Pan American.

I have a day by day lengthy review posted if you are doing the Aruba,Curacao route. Do a search for posts under name buffetfan.

Actually, imo there are more things to do on sea days, more activities, than on port days.

Just look up the days activities the night before when you get the hand out and circle the ones you want to do.

One more thing, is on port days they often have spa specials, does you wife enjoy pampering? She can work out in the exercise room or go to trivia contests, or watch the almost newly wed show at night. etc

We are thinking about booking the AOS...will be the first time on RCCL.

Can someone tell me what the Quest game is?

Its an adult scavenger hunt. It starts off easy, like the first person on a team to get their shoelaces up to the person within the allowed time period, the team gets a point, ending up with swapping around some clothes. I got to see the guy next to use change out of his boxers 3 times.

Its an adult scavenger hunt. It starts off easy, like the first person on a team to get their shoelaces up to the person within the allowed time period, the team gets a point, ending up with swapping around some clothes. I got to see the guy next to use change out of his boxers 3 times.

Hmmm...sounds interesting.

When and where is this game played and how do they make up teams? And when you say you got to "see" the guy change out of his boxers 3 times...exactly what did you see?? :eek:

Expect to hear all the announcements in English and Spanish if not more languages too. DH and I did this cruise a few months ago. After a while, I was tired of all the Spanish spoken around me but I've been told I am very intolerant of of other cultures. My bad!!!

My DW and I went on AOS back in May and had the time of our lives. We loved it soooo much that we booked on her again for next Sept. There is so much to do you will forget you are on a ship!! The only downside is there are so many ports of call that I almost wished we had more at sea days!!! When are you going and what itinerary are you sailing? We did the Barbados route. We did the Malibu beach break in Barbados and the See Antigua by the Sea tour in Antigua. We enjoyed them very much. The See antigua b the sea tour is on a catamaran and includes lunch and takes you around the entire island. You will pass by Oprah's house as well as Eric Clapton's house and rehab facility. They make a beach stop or two for snorkling and swimming. Oh and did I mention all the rum punch you can drink, and boy is that stuff strong! :eek:

As another poster mentioned, the Ice show, love and marriage and Quest are not to be missed. We also thoroughly enjoyed the comedian.

Whatever you decide to do, there is no way she can be bored.

happy sailing!! :)

Archived