I need help!! Plane travel for cruise

cmalibu1

Alright so here is my dilemna. I want to book the nov.10-20 cruise to the southern caribbean on the emerald. But I just got my work schedule and I ONLY have the 10th -20th off.

I have never flown out the same day our cruise departs!? I think the earliest flight gets to Fort Lauderdale at 1:05. I know the cruise departs at 5:00 is that too close? Or we could spend like $50 more and land at 12:41.

Since I work odd hours, I though abt flying out the eve. of the 9th, but I dont think we would be able to make any of those flights.

Since we wont be booking this cruise through the cruise line, and we will do air seperate is this too much of a risk? Has anyone ever flown out the same day the cruise left.

I am so bummed if we cant take this cruise, I was really looking forward to it, but I am just glad that I havent booked it yet!?!..lol

If playing the odds, you are probably going to be fine. We are taking the cruise right before this one and will fly the day before. I have flown the day of the cruise and it has always worked out but I admit, I am a nervous wreck until I am actually on the ship.

You should be fine getting in by 1. It only takes about 15 min from the airport by cab to the pier. And not too much snow in MN to delay the plane in early november so no worries.

I'm on the Emerald November 10 and we are headed to FLL Sunday as we usually fly the day before we sail.

My family usually flies to the port the day of the cruise though, and they haven't missed a sailing yet. FLL airport is close to the pier--you can see the ship from the airport. Grab a taxi and you'll be there in 15 mins. max.

Not much of a difference between 12:40 and 1:05 arrival time in my opinion!

ENJOY!!

It's a risk, but you should be fine. We've flown in the day of the cruise for all but our last two cruises, and never had a problem. But I was nervous until we landed, and I was thoroughly exhausted once we got onboard (I actually had to take a nap during sailaway once). Get cruise insurance = we like AccessAmerican's policies.

You will probably be okay but not necessarily so. If you are not flying nonstop, you need to factor in a possible delay in transferring between flights. If your plane is on time, you still have to consider the time to get off the plane, wait for baggage, and get a taxi. Yes, it is a short ride to the port but, if your flight is delayed, you could miss the ship. :)

If all goes well, you should not have a problem. In fact, most of the time when sailing from Ft. Lauderdale, we used to fly in the same day. It only took one close call for us to change our mind. The problem is that there can be weather related delays or mechanical problems.

This May we were to sail on a TransAtlantic from Miami & were scheduled to arrive in FL before noon. Well American had mechanical problems & we wound up boarding 25 minutes before sailing despite being told by Celebrity that if we were not at the pier one hour before scheduled sailing we wolud be denied boarding due to security reasons.Let me tell you it was one stressful day & thankfully we did make it. We were the last to board & even missed the lifeboat drill!

IMO, if you can find a way to arrive a day early, do it!

BTW, we're on the cruise with you!

Have a great cruise!!

Just one other thing to consider (sorry, not trying to scare you or anything), but I've been in the situation in FLL where there were so many cruise ships in port on a particular day, that it took ONE HOUR to get through the security gate in a taxi (from the airport). Sure, it may only be a 15 min drive, but that queue can do serious things to your blood pressure!

Thanks for all the info. I do know the risks, and being that this is our Honeymoon, will be nervous until we get on the ship!!

I have thought about the red eye which COULD be a possibility, but I work nights and day shifts, so there is a chance that I might have to pull the 11-7 shift the day before the 10th? However this would be a slim possibility.

I think my other question is that this flight is NOT non stop. I tried to find one, but couldn't. So there would be layovers no matter what time we land.

I was using the pricing and booking from smartcruiser.com but I didnt know if there was any kind of travel insurance for this kind of thing? And if so what does it all cover?!

Thanks everyone!! I hope we make it..lol~

O.K. I looked at the cruise too and wouldn't consider it unless I came in the day before. Consider that if you miss the trip you'll miss two days of the cruise and have to catch up with it in Aruba. Good luck with that. We've know of people who have missed because of mechanical problems and just all sorts of delays, and that was before the current airline situation. You might see if some airline schedules allow you to leave late at night from your airport with an overnight connection someplace close - like Atlanta - that you can take the first earliest flight out the next day. Look at someplace that has lots of non-stops. Another is trying to get into Miami instead. Sometimes Miami has more non-stops. I know it's a harder land transfer, but Princess can transfer you from MIA.

If you are flying out of Minneapolis, AA has a non-stop that arrives into MIA at 10:40. Even with the additional transfer time to Port Everglades over FLL, that would get you to the pier much earlier than either the 12:40 or 1:05 1 stop. Also as a non-stop instead of a connection you have much less of a chance of misconnecting, losing your baggage, etc.

And yes it is worth the money to pay extra to get there earlier.

So how far is the drive from Miami to Fort Lauderdale? I would consider that!

Do we set something like that up with the cruise line or just pay a cab?!

If we landed on a roundtrip in Miami in the early am (before 12) think we would be ok to make the cruise?

Thanks again everyone!..

MIA is about 45 minutes away from Port Everglades. Many people use MIA and FLL interchangeably for cruises out of either Port Everglades or Port of Miami.

You can set up transfers with the cruiseline, grab a cab, or go to the East Coast departures, Florida Departures board, and ask for recommendations for a shuttle/car service which most likely will be less expensive than either option.

And yes, I think landing at MIA before 11am, especially if it's a non-stop, would be a much better option than landing at FLL at 1pm. Even if it took an hour to transfer from MIA to Port Everglades, you would still have an additional hour leeway over the flights into FLL.

If you are flying out of Minneapolis, AA has a non-stop that arrives into MIA at 10:40. Even with the additional transfer time to Port Everglades over FLL, that would get you to the pier much earlier than either the 12:40 or 1:05 1 stop. Also as a non-stop instead of a connection you have much less of a chance of misconnecting, losing your baggage, etc.

And yes it is worth the money to pay extra to get there earlier.

I have to agree with this post. Try flying non-stop to Miami - often there are more flights to that airport. You might even find a later evening flight to Miami and then you can come in the night before. By all means - AVOID connecting flights. With todays' airline issues you could be stuck somewhere for days. A missed connection does not guarantee you a seat on the next flight out. It is probably already full.

Do you have travel insurance?

I know we plan on getting some, but I also know that each place you book thorugh has slightly different insurance options. (What it covers and doesnt.) I was going to book through smartcruiser.com, but have never sed them before, and while they offer the cheapest price, I am a little hesitant because they seem to have some hidden fees (like $20 to call in to look up your reservation, ect..) but htey are about $250 cheaper than travelocity, and princess..!?

I would get some quotes from the people who advertise here on cruise critic. (I cannot make specific suggestions as that is against the rules here on cruise critic.) I want quotes from agencies that include all the taxes and fees and do not charge cancellation fees. Since you are not buying cruise air you need an individual policy for your travel insurance. With an individual policy you can get coverage for your flight and cruise.

(Edited) Thanks for all the info. I do know the risks, and being that this is our Honeymoon, will be nervous until we get on the ship!!

Just the nervousness and the thrill that it is your honeymoon cruise will be stressful enough. (It still stresses us and we have been married 55 years.) Flying in the same day is always a crap shoot. We have flight reservations for an August cruise booked for 9 months. The airline has changed our schedule five times already. With the present uncertainties in the airline industry now, who knows? Call in sick, or whatever. Please try to arrange at least a red eye flight. You will have the whole cruise to rest and recreate.

There is absolutely no way that I would chance flying in that close.

Even though the ship leaves at 5, don't you have to be on board by 3:30?

It used to be one hour ahead, but I think that's changed recently, if my

memory serves me correctly.

Too much can go wrong. We once flew on the same day that the cruise

departed and had a stopover, and on the second leg of the flight we

were airborne and then we had to turn around and go back because the

pilot couldn't pressurize the cabin. we were in a prop plane.

anyway, lucky us, they did have another plane for us right away. However,

that put us behind another hour. Then when we were set to land in

Vancouver, B.C., the pilot had an issue with the light panel, so we circled

the airport and were in a holding pattern for an extra 45 minutes.

We landed at 2:00 and our ship left at 5:00, but it took a whole hour and

a half more to get through customs [not a problem in this OP's case, however] and then another 45 minute ride from airport to ship terminal.

On our last cruise, we had an unexpected 4.5 hour layover in

DFW, so I think the OP is just really taking a huge chance.

Things are way too iffy these days.

Sorry to sound like doom's day, but i'd hate for the OP to miss the

boat.

Do you have travel insurance?

There is absolutely no way that I would chance flying in that close.

Even though the ship leaves at 5, don't you have to be on board by 3:30?

It used to be one hour ahead, but I think that's changed recently, if my

memory serves me correctly.

Too much can go wrong. We once flew on the same day that the cruise

departed and had a stopover, and on the second leg of the flight we

were airborne and then we had to turn around and go back because the

pilot couldn't pressurize the cabin. we were in a prop plane.

anyway, lucky us, they did have another plane for us right away. However,

that put us behind another hour. Then when we were set to land in

Vancouver, B.C., the pilot had an issue with the light panel, so we circled

the airport and were in a holding pattern for an extra 45 minutes.

We landed at 2:00 and our ship left at 5:00, but it took a whole hour and

a half more to get through customs [not a problem in this OP's case, however] and then another 45 minute ride from airport to ship terminal.

On our last cruise, we had an unexpected 4.5 hour layover in

DFW, so I think the OP is just really taking a huge chance.

Things are way too iffy these days.

Sorry to sound like doom's day, but i'd hate for the OP to miss the

boat.

Ahh!! See, now I don't know what to do. We CANT do this cruise unless we fly out the same day. I just got this job, and they were nice enough to give me the 10th - 20th off, now if I ask forone day seeing as how competitive it is, I just dont want to jeapordize anything. I also know that unless we do this cruise, because the dates I have off are kind of odd, we couldnt cruise at all. I am bumed, but glad I got honest answers.

Both ways. Looks like we will either have some risk taking to do, or a whole new honeymoon to plan..

I should start another post for that..lol. Any suggestions..

I know we plan on getting some, but I also know that each place you book thorugh has slightly different insurance options. (What it covers and doesnt.) I was going to book through smartcruiser.com, but have never sed them before, and while they offer the cheapest price, I am a little hesitant because they seem to have some hidden fees (like $20 to call in to look up your reservation, ect..) but htey are about $250 cheaper than travelocity, and princess..!?

Consider Princess Travel Care. The basic cancellation clause offers 75% credit and Gold ($50 more) 90% for any reason.

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/travel_cancellation_coverage.jsp

Good luck with the weather!

I would do whatever I could to arrange my work schedule to be off early enough the day before the cruise to fly out that night before. I know as a supervisor, for someone's honeymoon, I would do what I could to accomodate the employee so they could get to their destination. You've already told them you had this planned. The time to talk to your boss is now - you may find you are worried for nothing and they will accomodate you.

It is imperative you buy travel insurance. If the flights you have cause you to miss the ship, you may need insurance to help reimburse you for the expenses of flying to the first port to join the ship.

Go to this website and look at various policies:

www.insuremytrip.com

Make sure you buy enough to cover the plane fare and the cruise.

The suggestion of the Crown is another great one. Perhaps your company would be happy if you asked for 8 days off instead of 10 and would allow you to simply change your dates so you could have the day before off to fly.

Archived