If HAL is your first choice, who would be your second?

Barek

We're considering our next cruise; but some of the places we're considering don't have HAL ships (at least, not on the dates that would fit our schedules). We loved our HAL cruise; so thought that the best ones to give suggestions on an alternate cruise line would be those who also enjoy HAL (and who, theoretically, would have similar preferences in cruise styles).

Rather than listing the other cruise lines at the ports/dates we're considering, we decided to leave this open ended to allow for all possibilities.

So, for those of you who enjoy HAL above all other cruise lines (at least, in its price range), what would be your second choice for cruise line if you had to take a different one - and why that one?

HAL is definitely our first choice for a number of reasons; Crew first and foremost, itinerary [we do "grand" cruises because we now have the time; we're retired] and classy ships. However if I choose another cruiseline it would probably be Cunard. We have done 2 Cunard crossings; one on the old Caronia [we LOVED it] and one 6 day on the QM2[ what an amazing ship!]

Anne

Celebrity has always been my first choice. I'm trying HAL for the first time to see what everyone has been raving about - and to try something different. Maybe HAL will become my new numero uno. :D

Cindy

HAL is definitely our first choice for a number of reasons; Crew first and foremost, itinerary [we do "grand" cruises because we now have the time; we're retired] and classy ships. However if I choose another cruiseline it would probably be Cunard. We have done 2 Cunard crossings; one on the old Caronia [we LOVED it] and one 6 day on the QM2[ what an amazing ship!]

Anne

We are relative beginners, still trying to work our way through the HAL fleet. We thought we'd try Princess or Celebrity one day, but will probably do repeats on HAL instead. It's just the perfect fit for us, so there's no reason to mess around.

This Sept will be my first time on HAL so unsure if my first choice yet ;)

But Celebrity is my first/second choice now RCCL third and distant 4th is NLC- Ask me again in Sept after I return from the Amsterdam and I will let you know if HAL jumped to #1

If you like HAL as your first choice you will not be disappointed in Celebrity. I have clients that book HAL when they can but if they want a port that is not supplied by HAL we go with Celebrity. Another great like is Regent Seven Seas...very deluxe but we have heard great things about them as well.

Princess for the small R class ships. And the fares associated with them (ie we'd like to sail the same ship on Oceania or Azamara too, but the Princess fares are cheaper. And we had great service too) The smaller ships on Princess seem to have fewer families with small children, as well (just not as much to do as on the larger ships, I guess) And there's no open seating--with only one dining room, it's all traditional, all the time:D (not to worry--there's a buffet, and extra $$ restaurants too)

HAL covers more ports, more countries, more itineraries than about anyone of the mass market cruise lines.

:confused: Where is that you want to go that HAL is not sailing to? I'm really curious. :confused:

How about the World Cruise? You can see the world!!! :D

Celebrity was just OK (nothing unique or special), while we find HAL great. However, we are looking into Princess for the variety of ports on shorter cruises not offered by HAL (such as Israel & Egypt in the summer and Amazon River and not to mention South American itineraries less than HAL 16 nights.)

HAL covers more ports, more countries, more itineraries than about anyone of the mass market cruise lines.

:confused: Where is that you want to go that HAL is not sailing to? I'm really curious. :confused:

How about the World Cruise? You can see the world!!! :D

BUT, not if you are still working or can't take a vacation over two weeks. Although not HAL, we are considering Princess in the future for their diversity of ports. We know a couple that takes both Princess and HAL cruises on a yearly basis (received a 100 day HAL medallion) and their favorite line is Princess. They like the Elite status past passenger program and feel the shows are better on Princess with more options.

We want to stick with HAL, but lots of places we have not been that would require a World Cruise on HAL.

We would put Cunard (QM2) about HAL, but we did have a Queens Grill Suite, so were spoilt rotten. Celebrity were great, obviously love HAL, but not very keen on RCL. I think any cruise is great, just some better than others, and it all depends on your attitude. If you go onboard comparing everything, you will probably be let down. Enjoy every ship for what they are!

Although we have more cruises on Princess than HAL, we have found we now prefer HAL because of service, friendliness, and size of ship - smaller. However, since our favorite ship on Princess had been the old Royal Pincess, which was transferred to P & O Britain in May 2005 (we were on her last voyage) and Princess has brought on a few smaller ships, if the itinerary was right, we would go on the smaller ships. Having said all that, we have been doing Princess' fall Coastal Vancouver to LA cruise for 5 years now on their 2600 passenger ships. Great way to visit Vancouver, Victoria and San Francisco. Let's just say we'll cruise whenever possible with HAL being first choice. Enough blabbering.

Barbara

Anne

The QE2 is my favorite non-HAL ship ... but then, that one is leaving the Cunard fleet soon.

But I would say Cunard would be my second favorite line too. I just wish they'd "dumb down" their dress code a bit. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived