Water banned on Carnival Cruise ships!

Cinderose

Funny, the Carnival website says the following:

Excerpted from:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

I don't recall this as any different than it's been. I do wish the fellow at travel.gocurious.com had cited the source of his info.

I find it interesting that there is no DATE on the article....no way to know when this was put up or when the "new" policy went into effect.

Until Carnival changes their policy on their website, I'll consider the information unsubstantiated and untrue.

I can not drink purified, or distilled water. I use SPRING water only... and yes, there is a difference in taste, and how it affects the stomach.

I usually take about 6 bottles with me for meds and port days. We also take Pepsi which you can not get on the ship. However, i pack these things in a suitcase and send it with the porters.

I always pack a large, empty, water bottle that I keep filled from the Lido deck. The water there is great!!!! Sorry, but I'd never purchase water on the ship. More money for DOD's!:D

I refill a bottle too...but instead of carrying an empty one onboard, I do buy the one in the room and refill it. I figure it is one less thing to pack. I just make sure to tell the cabin steward to not throw it away. I drink at least 3 liters a day...that would get very expensive to buy each bottle. I don't carry my own water on though, I just get refills where ever I am on the ship.

Why would you people drink tap water on the ship??? They have perfectly fine water that is desalinated and tastes better than the bottled water you can buy that is from municipal water sources (tap water... Aquafina :p) I would never drink the tap water though... I stick to the water on the lido deck or in the dining rooms. I fill a huge jug and have no problems, it is very good... I don't bother buying bottles on the ship, or lugging it onto the ship...

Not sure where you checked things out, but I suspect the water in your cabin comes directly from the same tank as the water on the Lido deck. The ships don't have two separate water systems. Both sources (cabin & Lido) have water that tastes just fine.

If they ban all soda being brought on board, they had better start using more than one vendor. Some people do not like coke products. I can make do, but prefer pepsi. I usually bring 6 pepsis and 6 club sodas. I still buy more club soda, as one a night is not enough. I actually prefer wine. I will be bringing some in my checked luggage. If they confiscate it at least I will get it back after the cruise.

Candi

If they ban all soda being brought on board, they had better start using more than one vendor. Some people do not like coke products. I can make do, but prefer pepsi. I usually bring 6 pepsis and 6 club sodas. I still buy more club soda, as one a night is not enough. I actually prefer wine. I will be bringing some in my checked luggage. If they confiscate it at least I will get it back after the cruise.

Candi

Uh, nope, I don't think you get it back all that easily, unless they have paperwork to fill out and if you are willing to spend a fair amount of time over that issue rather than exploring the ship then I guess we're just different kinds of people.

I like Coke Zero, but I'm willing to bend my policy and drink other things. NO way am I going to drag stuff like that in my carry-on or risk having it crushed in my suitcase just to satisfy my peculiar tastes.

I had heard that if it is in your carryon, they confiscate it you don't get it back. If it is in your checked luggage and they catch it, they will tag it like the liquor from the stores on board and give it back to you the last night.

I may be wrong, but that is what I read on another thread.

Candi

Uh, nope, I don't think you get it back all that easily, unless they have paperwork to fill out and if you are willing to spend a fair amount of time over that issue rather than exploring the ship then I guess we're just different kinds of people.

I like Coke Zero, but I'm willing to bend my policy and drink other things. NO way am I going to drag stuff like that in my carry-on or risk having it crushed in my suitcase just to satisfy my peculiar tastes.

Well then good for you! Don't bring it on. But don't condescend to those who choose to do so.

I take my water because I drink water all day and night. I don't like their tap water, especially when it comes out brown at times. So now I have to pay all week for the water I drink?

They need to make a water card like the soda ones then.

Please don't give them any ideas with the water card. Maybe they are planning to expand business line to pay for fuel...confiscate enough water and resell. I'm seeing warehouses of the stuff. Good luck trying to enforce this one!

Hasnt the one bottle of wine been in place since spring of 2007, more than a year ago. This isnt exactly news, why state it like this is news??

I think cruise ships like airplanes, might be responding to all the extra weight of folks who think 24 bottles of water is a reasonable amount.

I can not drink purified, or distilled water. I use SPRING water only... and yes, there is a difference in taste, and how it affects the stomach.

I usually take about 6 bottles with me for meds and port days. We also take Pepsi which you can not get on the ship. However, i pack these things in a suitcase and send it with the porters.

What is the difference between the purified water in pepsi and just purified water? I'm truly just curious...

Marktac, I have no idea... but the tap water definitely taste different, to me.. perhaps it is just the temperature, but I know there have been times that the water from the tap has been discolored, and the water they serve for drinking hasn't been. I just don't trust it.

Hasnt the one bottle of wine been in place since spring of 2007, more than a year ago. This isnt exactly news, why state it like this is news??

I think cruise ships like airplanes, might be responding to all the extra weight of folks who think 24 bottles of water is a reasonable amount.

Yes, that has been in place for a while now... I think this is the old article from when they tried this.

Have no idea if this is true or not, but a last year they did come up with the idea of banning soft drinks, the idea was dropped almost before it was put into action. I wouldn't be surprised if they will carry though this time or soon. i have ezpected all cruise lines to do something like this for years. I think we have all seen, waiting to be delivered cases of soft drinks and water on embarkation day. Think of the $$s that are lost by the cruiselines when we bring cases of anything on for consumption.

I am sure I will get blasted for my approach to this, but I think, if the policy is changed, not allowing water, soda, etc we have asked for it. There is nothing wrong with bringing a couple of bottles of wine, a 6 pack of beer, a few cans of soda or water on board in my opinion, but when people start bring cases on, the cruise lines lose money. I think most of us are in business to make it, not loose it.

Nita

Honestly I am surprised they ever allowed it.. I have enough to carry - no way am I carrying my own soda... I will buy the card ! ;)

Honestly I am surprised they ever allowed it.. I have enough to carry - no way am I carrying my own soda... I will buy the card ! ;)

No kidding!! I'm not eating up shoe room with anything but shoes :p LOL!!!

I actually think it is a good idea as a standpoint of your pocketbook and for the environment. Most bottled water is tap water folks and paying 1.30 for 16oz is so silly. The lido deck water is very good, same water used for cooking, ice etc. It amazes me how much of a status symbol people put onto bottled water. Not to mention the native people who cant get clean water because of the major distributors coming and taking over.

Ok off my soapbox now :)

It all comes down to taste. You think the lido deck water is very good. Not everyone has your taste buds. Is there anything you have eaten or drank that you do not like the taste:confused:

Just read this...

Water banned on Carnival Cruise ships!

What are they thinking? Just this week Carnival Cruise Lines has revised their bring on beverage policy. Now even water for personal use is banned. Previously passengers were permitted to carry on a reasonable amount of beverages for personal use. This may present a problem for those cruisers who are loyal to one brand of soft drink or water.

Carnival has also revised their alcoholic beverage policy limiting carry on alcohol to one bottle of wine per passenger. These measures should cut down on public drunkenness or will it? I understand that smuggling of alcohol has become something of an art with people trading their secrets for contraband all over the internet. It is a well known secret that many folks empty out mouthwash containers and shampoo bottles for the purpose of refilling them with alcohol. Water bottle and soda bottles were also familiar vehicles to carry on the contraband alcohol. Restricting water will eliminate than avenue of smuggling on your favorite treat.

These policies have been in effect on Royal Caribbean for some time and caused nary a peep out of Royal Caribbean cruisers. It seems carnival passengers are a loyal and vocal bunch.

There really is no logical reason to carry on your own water (unless you require distilled water for a medical device such as a CPAP machine-that will be allowed with a doctor’s note). All of the modern mega liners have their own desalination plants on board which produce excellent quality water for drinking and soda, albeit only certain brands, are available for purchase 24 hours a day.

Quote: http://travel.gocurious.com/latest/water-banned-on-carnival-cruise-ships.html

My guess would be to avoid people smuggling vodka or gin or any other clear liquor on board. Maybe even to push the sales of water on board too.

Big bummer. :( I would think that since un-opened bottles of water clearly show if the cap has been broken or not they could see it had been un-opened ----- indicating someone had not put vodka inside.

I'm one of those who just doesn't like the taste of tap water and always have a bottle water in my hand. It's also what I use if making formula for my child -- not tap water -- so she might have to start getting used to it soon I guess.

Big bummer. :( I would think that since un-opened bottles of water clearly show if the cap has been broken or not they could see it had been un-opened ----- indicating someone had not put vodka inside.

I'm one of those who just doesn't like the taste of tap water and always have a bottle water in my hand. It's also what I use if making formula for my child -- not tap water -- so she might have to start getting used to it soon I guess.

From everything we can see, this is NOT true... so don't worry too much yet. I'm the same way as you are, I despise tap water and I don't drink it (gag), but I like the ships water (not the tap, only from the lido and dining rooms). I do buy a bottle on the ship, so I can fill it up...

But this looks to be old, outdated info... they tried this before and they withdrew it quickly, so without a date or any type of reference, there is no telling.

:)

I actually think it is a good idea as a standpoint of your pocketbook and for the environment. Most bottled water is tap water folks and paying 1.30 for 16oz is so silly. The lido deck water is very good, same water used for cooking, ice etc. It amazes me how much of a status symbol people put onto bottled water. Not to mention the native people who cant get clean water because of the major distributors coming and taking over.

Ok off my soapbox now :)

You are right many brands of bottled water are tap.

There is also no set standard for bottled water.

That being said I would never drink tap water or most filtered water

You might as waell drink poison than drink unfilted tap water.

My water system at home filters down to .03 microns same as a dialysis machain. Not being able to bring this on ship i have a water bottle with a filter that also does this.

Thats what I'll be useing.

Given many, many people have posted the need for distilled water for their sleeping/apnea machines, I cant imagine this policy going into effect without an exception for them

While it is true, bottle water has no standards, the term "spring water" does have a restriction that bans tap water. See - http://www.bottledwater.org/public/faqs.htm#2

I grew up too close to Poland Spring, not to know this ;)

Given many, many people have posted the need for distilled water for their sleeping/apnea machines, I cant imagine this policy going into effect without an exception for them

While it is true, bottle water has no standards, the term "spring water" does have a restriction that bans tap water. See - http://www.bottledwater.org/public/faqs.htm#2

I grew up too close to Poland Spring, not to know this ;)

The article states that there is an exception for CPAP's...

Archived