Seattle airport

IDKaren

Asked this on another board- only one answer. SO-- is anyone familiar with SEATAC- do they have the motorized carts that go between gates for people? We come in on ALASKA- go out on KLM- hubby having surgery prior to flight for cruise and the long hump might be difficult for him- looks like it is a ways between them. However- does not look like we have to go thru security again? Thanks

Alaska arrives at the C & D concourse, with some flights in B and North Satellite. KLM departs from the South Satellite.

Wheelchairs are available, and I have on rare occasions spotted an electric cart (but it is a rare occurrence). Also, the cart can't go on the train to the South Satellite, so you would need the wheelchair for that.

Here is a link to the subway map at SEA, with some text description. Look this over and see if you have other questions. Unfortunately, AS doesn't pre-post arrival gates on their website, so you could be coming in at many different spots.

Is Sea-Tac open 24/7? Can you wait at the airport?

You might be able to wait all night but I can tell you from experience that absolutely nothing is open at Sea-Tac from late at night until early morning and that the seats (and the floor) there are terrible to sleep on. And the only reason I know this is I came in on a flight at midnight that was supposed to continue onto DFW but went mechanical. They didn't know when our flight would leave, but they basically locked us into the terminal area. There wasn't even anything available in the vending machines.

Asked this on another board- only one answer. SO-- is anyone familiar with SEATAC- do they have the motorized carts that go between gates for people? We come in on ALASKA- go out on KLM- hubby having surgery prior to flight for cruise and the long hump might be difficult for him- looks like it is a ways between them. However- does not look like we have to go thru security again? Thanks

Flyertalker beat me to it, and he's quite right in saying AS in in C, KLM will be in South Sat. However, the (underground) shuttle trains at Seattle are excellent, and all behind security. Although there's three shuttle trains involved, it's pretty simple.

Take the elevator down to the train shuttle get on at C, Ride to main terminal.

Cross to the other train, ride to south main

Cross to the other train, ride to south sattellite

If you're in a wheelchair, it'll be simple. I did it pushing my dad many years ago, and it was pretty straight forward.

Is Sea-Tac open 24/7? Can you wait at the airport?

Yes, it is open and you can wait but...........

there are quite a few hotels at the airport though and many

have complimentary shuttles.

Maybe get a room? At least then you have a bathroom,

your own space, etc..... before leaving.

If you are coming in on Alaska Airlines- advise them both before you travel- then again at the gate when you check in- you need a wheelchair in Seattle to go to your next gate- they will 'order one up" and there will be one waiting for you at your gate, along with an attendant that will do the "driving". The attendants know the quickest easiest way to the gates- and are very attentive and helpful. We normally tip them, depending on the length- (to gate across the terminal, to baggage claim and then to car) between $5- 25.00. We use that service many times for our elderly relatives. It works well. Ruth

just flew Alaska and connected to SAS at SeaTac. I did not find it that easy to navigate. I hope you have sufficient time in between your flights. You do not have to go out of security. Even studying the map ahead of time was only a partial help. read the signs once you get there and call ahead if you need assistance with a wheelchair.

Uh oh--- that sounds ominous--actually we have 1.5 hrs to re-connect from Alaska to KLM. Since Spokane is a wee little airport should have no problem (knock on wood) getting out on time so hopefully that 1.5 hrs is enough! Thinking about asking Alaska to go standby earlier-camping out early in the airport just in case!

Another question:) Are Alaska and KLM in any way associated so that they can check us in at ALaksa or do we have to wait till Seattle to check in on KLM/Northwest??

AS and KLM are airline partners. Do you have two separate tickets, or just one?

By the way, I find Seatac extremely easy to navigate; don't worry about it.

:o I have two separate tickets--an electronic for Alaska and a paper for KLM. Unfortunately GULP :eek: I bought them through a CONSOLIDATOR before I knew exactly how they work so I am VERY nervous about the whole thing. Thought I would start getting some questions answered WAY early!

Uh oh--- that sounds ominous--actually we have 1.5 hrs to re-connect from Alaska to KLM. Since Spokane is a wee little airport should have no problem (knock on wood) getting out on time so hopefully that 1.5 hrs is enough! Thinking about asking Alaska to go standby earlier-camping out early in the airport just in case!

This is a real short connection time in my opinion. Here is my estimate given that nothing goes really wrong and everything is moving relatively quickly:

Arrive at gate, deplane and walk to baggage claim: 10 min

Wait for bags: 20 min

Walk to Northwest with bags: 5 min

Wait for check-in: 15 min

Walk to and clear security: 15 min

Wait for train, Ride train and walk to gate: 10 min

Total: 75 min

This only leaves 15 minutes to spare which doesn't sound like a lot. You are also likely to be under NWA's minimum check-in window by the time you actually check in with the gate agent (1 hour)

I would suggest that you fly standby or book another earlier flight. The good news is that flights between Spokane and Seattle run at least hourly and aren't all that expensive compared to missing your flight and likely being delayed by a day.

This is a real short connection time in my opinion. Here is my estimate given that nothing goes really wrong and everything is moving relatively quickly:

Arrive at gate, deplane and walk to baggage claim: 10 min

Wait for bags: 20 min

Walk to Northwest with bags: 5 min

Wait for check-in: 15 min

Walk to and clear security: 15 min

Wait for train, Ride train and walk to gate: 10 min

Total: 75 min

This only leaves 15 minutes to spare which doesn't sound like a lot. You are also likely to be under NWA's minimum check-in window by the time you actually check in with the gate agent (1 hour)

I would suggest that you fly standby or book another earlier flight. The good news is that flights between Spokane and Seattle run at least hourly and aren't all that expensive compared to missing your flight and likely being delayed by a day.

yeah--that is what we are thinking of doing- getting to Spokane earlier and trying standby for three Horizon and Alaska flight. QUESTION- why would we have to go out to baggage claim and back in through security again? IF SO then I guess it is a wonderful thing that I am a very TIGHT packer and will have only carry ons:D

Archived