Fantasy NEEDS work in more ways than ...

nanny4sure

We just returned from the August 9th cruise on the Fantasy and I must say I was more than disappointed with the entire process. We just drove on to Mobile - that was not the worst. We were with a wedding and that seemed to be just fine. The reception food was the best thing happening and we don't drink, so we never ordered 3 and 4 of the same drinks at the same time! The ship needs a LOT of refurbishing! THe elevators worked some of the time - but not once did they all work. Not that I don't need the exercise, but there were others who needed the help of an elevator for lots of reasons. The food was repetitive every morning and every lunch - an not very good even though they fixed the same box of pancakes every other morning. There was not much happening during the day of the "fun days at sea". I saw and heard kids running up and down the halls with no adult supervision - and I mean kids under 10. Of course the big kids were doing their own noise making - but I expected that. We have cruised several times, but I dont think I will do another Carnival if this is the norm. I do like exursions, but not for the main reason of just leaving the ship. There is not much to do in Progresso - they could have stayed overnight in Cozumel and made it much more enjoyable. Between rude and inconsiderate guests, terrible food, broken equipment - I don't know - is it worth it?? It wasn't a bargain cruise, yet somehow I felt like I was in a bargain atmosphere. I would definately not recommend this ship or itenirary. You would just have to be bored and want to waste money in my opinion - and I know we all have them. Not a "fun" trip at all. :(

I had kids under 10 running up and down my hallway on one of my RCL 7 day cruises. You have to expect things like that on a cruise imo. How is it you feel the Fantasy needs to work on this?

I think cruise help is reluctant to dive in and stop folks from doing certain behaviors in general, and not necessarily just on Carnival. Disney is the only cruiseline that is strict about enforcing adults only areas for instance.

Well maybe Carnival can't do anything about that area with the kids - i just don't need to cruise when kids are out of school. I don't know how to alter my user profile to list my cruises - and it's only 3 before this one, so I'm not a world traveler. I am not accustomed to rude people I guess - and you would think I am because of where I live. When I pay money, just like everyone else on the ship, I figure I am entitled to the same courtesy as others. Maybe that's not a good enough attitude. Perhaps I just haven't cruised with a ship full of kids and I don't intend to. Disney is not where I want to be. But at all hours of the night, kids running up and down the halls - maybe the doors need to be more insulated. It was just a comment and you are right - it's not an area that Carnival can improve in. But I can choose not to cruise where the kids are and apparently they like Carnival! LOL

We just returned from the August 9th cruise on the Fantasy and I must say I was more than disappointed with the entire process. We just drove on to Mobile - that was not the worst. We were with a wedding and that seemed to be just fine. The reception food was the best thing happening and we don't drink, so we never ordered 3 and 4 of the same drinks at the same time! The ship needs a LOT of refurbishing! THe elevators worked some of the time - but not once did they all work. Not that I don't need the exercise, but there were others who needed the help of an elevator for lots of reasons. The food was repetitive every morning and every lunch - an not very good even though they fixed the same box of pancakes every other morning. There was not much happening during the day of the "fun days at sea". I saw and heard kids running up and down the halls with no adult supervision - and I mean kids under 10. Of course the big kids were doing their own noise making - but I expected that. We have cruised several times, but I dont think I will do another Carnival if this is the norm. I do like exursions, but not for the main reason of just leaving the ship. There is not much to do in Progresso - they could have stayed overnight in Cozumel and made it much more enjoyable. Between rude and inconsiderate guests, terrible food, broken equipment - I don't know - is it worth it?? It wasn't a bargain cruise, yet somehow I felt like I was in a bargain atmosphere. I would definately not recommend this ship or itenirary. You would just have to be bored and want to waste money in my opinion - and I know we all have them. Not a "fun" trip at all. :(

It seems that cruising is not for you, try not to go on any future cruises, or maybe it was a real bad ship, but for what you said it seems cruising is not for you , maybe try an all inclusive next time , they have very good ones.

Good luck

Sorry you did not have a good cruise. Hopefully forums like this can help you in the future.

The Fantasy is due to go into dry dock in a few short weeks. (just one helpful tidbit these forums provide)

The last time we sailed her was in August and yes, she is in dire need of a dry dock. Sadly she takes a lot of abuse from the people who sail her from this port. On our cruise alone some morons thought it was "cute" to jump up and break out the plastic information panels in the elevators. The good news is that one of the morons got a pretty good cut considering the amount of blood they left in the elevator.

Food is completely subjective. We had talked with a friend who got off that cruise and loved the food. They had a fabulous time.

As for rude people and unruly children....sadly that is the world we live in today. You can find them on any cruise lines.

Hopefully, Cruise Critic can assist you in making your next cruise (on whichever cruise line it is) a better one.

PS: If you do try another Carnival ship...I would suggest a Spirit Class ship. Their cabin doors go all the way to the floor.

(they don't have that "open space" under the door like the Fantasy class ships that can add to the noise coming into your cabin at night)

As firefly mentioned, when kids are out of school, the majority of cruiselines will have lots of kids on board. The Fantasy is one of the oldest ships and usually is priced lower than other ships. I'm sorry you did not enjoy yourself, but maybe crusing at different times of the year on a newer ship would be better.

im going on my first cruise in a week and my question is this.... do the doors on the cabins open inward or outward..... if they open outward, you could always time your opening of the door to when the kids are running by. I'm sure a good wack in the face with the door will stop them from running.:D

But I can choose not to cruise where the kids are and apparently they like Carnival! LOL

Like Im saying RCL kids are very similar in number. Its also a family cruiseline without much supervisor. (I love the children so they dont bother me)

Actually I would love to cruise Disney, they have higher rated ships and service than some of these cheaper lines. You dont get extra stars for nothing. Or you might try Hal or Princess. I had fewer children on princess.

I cruises 4 times on RCL, two were Easter week, so I expected more children. I was thinking I prefered the food on Carnival and Princess than on RCL who had some dishes I ordered I was dissapointed in, but that could change. I think cruiselines have probably cut back too. I will be on the Conquest in 3 weeks to compare again. My feelings about which food I prefered might have changed.

I agree, you probably didnt have a bargain on the fare either, since you cruised during summer, when fares are the highest.

Id just try another cruiseline, but not NCL either, one not geared so much toward families.

You might be right, maybe it isn't my cup of tea. We love Alaska and the food was always awesome. The Lido offered variety -which this ship did not. Perhaps it was just the location of the cruise and the clientel it attracts. We went only due to the wedding. I had never wanted to do the W Carribean - only the eastern. So, I guess I will stick to the places that interest me. I was just really disappointed in the smelly ship, and broken elevators - and no one seemed to care when we pointed out that the elevator had been stuck on our floor for over an hour. I'm really not a prima donna or anything - I was just not impressed AT ALL - if you didn't know that already!

I'm sorry you had a disappointing cruise.

You did cruise a ship that is due for a 'touch-up' in a few weeks, so I am sure you weren't exaggerating about it needing work. Your timing was just poor, unfortunately.

Your timing was also poor in the week you chose to sail. Summer sailings are typically FULL of kids, especially on shorter cruises.

If you find it in your heart to ever try Carnival again, you'd have a much different experience on a longer sailing, OFF SEASON. :) Do your homework before you book...if an older ship ruins your experience, then book a newer one.

Well, and that's why you guys are so great to chat with. I have had some great tips on here. I just felt I owed it to all the greats on here to be honest - just in case someone might be wanting to cruise her before the big facelift and tummy tuck! DON"T DO IT - wait till Oct of 2008!! I didn't pick it though - I just joined the wedding party and this was their first cruise. If you have never cruised, why pick it for a wedding?? hmmmm:eek:

Summer time equals a lot of kids on the ship. Breakfast will always be the same each day in the buffet and the same for lunch at the outside grill. But I think you are stretching it to say the same for lunch inside the buffet as it is different each day. As it is also different on each side of the buffet for lunch.

They also serve breakfast and lunch in one of the main dining rooms each day.

I find the adults to be louder going down the hallway than the kids. It also depends where your cabin is located. I find the cabins past the forward elevators are the quietest because there is less traffic.

People either hate Progreso or love. Unfortunetely people expect it to be built up and commercialized like Cozumel. Expecting crystal clear waters is not one of them. Luckily it is not, it is a "true" Mexican village. There are plenty of things to do if you had researched the port.

This will be the closest port to Chitzen Itza so there is less travel time on a bus. There are great trips you can take on your own to Merida or through the cruiseline.

The ship is scheduled for drydock after its Sept 1st run so most of the mechanical issues should be addressed. It will also get its 300' waterslide at that time.

Dave

Well maybe Carnival can't do anything about that area with the kids - i just don't need to cruise when kids are out of school. I don't know how to alter my user profile to list my cruises - and it's only 3 before this one, so I'm not a world traveler. I am not accustomed to rude people I guess - and you would think I am because of where I live. When I pay money, just like everyone else on the ship, I figure I am entitled to the same courtesy as others. Maybe that's not a good enough attitude. Perhaps I just haven't cruised with a ship full of kids and I don't intend to. Disney is not where I want to be. But at all hours of the night, kids running up and down the halls - maybe the doors need to be more insulated. It was just a comment and you are right - it's not an area that Carnival can improve in. But I can choose not to cruise where the kids are and apparently they like Carnival! LOL

Try cruising sometime other than summer - I have two kids of my own, and NONE of of have any interest in going on a cruise, or going to Disney, or even going to the beach, in the middle of summer when there are kids everywhere. We wait until September and enjoy the quiet!

You might be right, maybe it isn't my cup of tea. We love Alaska and the food was always awesome. The Lido offered variety -which this ship did not. Perhaps it was just the location of the cruise and the clientel it attracts.

We've been on the Fantasy many times, and the Lido Deck buffet has a completely different menu each day - not only that, but each side of the buffet has different selections - the regular offerings on one side and the taste of nations on the other side. We eat at the Lido buffet every single day and never have the same thing twice, other than things like the potato salad which they will offer each day.

im going on my first cruise in a week and my question is this.... do the doors on the cabins open inward or outward..... if they open outward, you could always time your opening of the door to when the kids are running by. I'm sure a good wack in the face with the door will stop them from running.:D

I would love to do that...too bad they open inwards:(

LOL

We've been on the Fantasy many times, and the Lido Deck buffet has a completely different menu each day - not only that, but each side of the buffet has different selections - the regular offerings on one side and the taste of nations on the other side. We eat at the Lido buffet every single day and never have the same thing twice, other than things like the potato salad which they will offer each day.

.... unlike RCL who has the same menu daily. After Carnival and Princess I was also surprised to go to the Dining Room for lunch and they have the same menu there every day too.

The food was fine, but it never changes on RCL except the dinner menu at night.

I can't address the food or activity issues because I haven't been on this ship since the pre-inaugural...but, I can address the "kid" problem.

Nothing is more annoying than untrained, unsupervised brats on a cruise ship. That being said, many of us who find these little tyrants annoying simply avoid cruising anytime school is out. Many of us cruise in the fall after school is back in session. This doesn't guarantee there won't be kids on the ship but is sure guarantees there won't be herds of them.

I cruise 2/3 times a year - mostly Carnival because I like the company, love their ships and the prices are lower than others for a solo cruiser. I can't tell you the number of times I've had to handle misbehaving children. I simply will not be terrorized by these kids. I've "shooed" them off elevators when they are playing their favorite game of "pushing all the buttons". When they are raising heck in the hallways, I simply step out in the hallway and stand in front of them....tell them to either go to their cabin or I'll call security...then stand there until they move off. If they are in adult areas, I'll tell them to leave - and stand there until they do.

These impolite and untrained ones are CHILDREN. We are the adults and can certainly handle the situation in an adult manner. Smart mouths? Doesn't faze me; I've raised 4 of my own. Obscene gestures? Same thing. I don't care what they say or do...as long as they get going....and I'll follow them if needed - close enough so they know I'm still there.

No need to address the parents...they don't give a darn anyway else they'd be keeping an eye on their brood. If push comes to shove, I'll call security or take the problem to the Purser's desk. I find, however, that a stern voice, steady gaze and modulated voice can work wonders.

I'd agree with those who say avoid cruising during the summer or holiday times to avoid kids.

Too many parents do let them run amuck and unsupervised.

I disagree with those who jump to the conclusion that cruising is not for everyone just because someone has a bad experience. It does happen.

Next month, for about a month, Fantasy will be undergoing extensive renovation.

.... unlike RCL who has the same menu daily. After Carnival and Princess I was also surprised to go to the Dining Room for lunch and they have the same menu there every day too.

The food was fine, but it never changes on RCL except the dinner menu at night.

Sure it does. The buffet has a different theme each day. My favorite day is when they have the pork chops. Wish they did have them every day. The dining room does have the same menu each day, but the feature entree changes daily. They also have the fresh cook to order pasta a few days, but not every day. So it does change in the dining room as well.

It seems that cruising is not for you, try not to go on any future cruises, or maybe it was a real bad ship, but for what you said it seems cruising is not for you , maybe try an all inclusive next time , they have very good ones.

Good luck

I would say that "cruising on a family friendly cruise line on a short cruise during the summer time filled with kids is not for the OP"

I never cruise during the summer time (or any other time when kids are out of school) for the same reason (in addition to rates being considerably higher).

For the OP, keep cruising! I know that you probably didn't have a lot of choice on when to sail this time, but try to avoid certain times of the year. Also, although Carnival offers a great product in my opinion, if you don't want to deal with kids or want a more refined cruising experience, try one of the more upscale cruise lines. No hairy chest contests though :)

I'm getting a little nervous reading this bc i leave on the fantasy in a week! But the holiday is supposed to be the "Worst" ship right? I had no complaints about it at all. I guess i'm just easy to please as long as i have a drink and the sun i don't care. As for kids the ought to be in school by now right? They really don't bother me as long as I am not responsible for them they can be as loud as they want. It's not my problem thats why my kids don't cruise yet!!!

I'm getting a little nervous reading this bc i leave on the fantasy in a week! But the holiday is supposed to be the "Worst" ship right? quote]

Iv never read Holiday is the worst ship (unless you count Ky Transplant). It is the oldest and smallest ship, but their crew has won lots of best service awards.

Fantasy will be slightly larger and have a atium.

Sure it does. The buffet has a different theme each day. My favorite day is when they have the pork chops. Wish they did have them every day. The dining room does have the same menu each day, but the feature entree changes daily. They also have the fresh cook to order pasta a few days, but not every day. So it does change in the dining room as well.

Thats true about the daily pasta. Unfortunately, I really dislike any kind of pasta, so I didnt count that as a change. The menu items stayed the same.

I loved the salads on the buffet on RCL, so thats what I mostly had and was happy .... and then the 3rd day discovered the cafe in the promenade to snitch cookies and pizza. I loved that.

I did say food is subjective. Both items I read posts on that people raved over like the valdalia onion tart appetiser, and something else, I took one bite and couldnt even eat more, and Im one to feel guilty about ordering something and not eating it. It just wasnt my taste, but I enjoyed the cafe the last cruise a lot.

Food is so subjective, hard to say, no one is right or wrong with how they react.

You might be right, maybe it isn't my cup of tea. We love Alaska and the food was always awesome. The Lido offered variety -which this ship did not. Perhaps it was just the location of the cruise and the clientel it attracts. We went only due to the wedding. I had never wanted to do the W Carribean - only the eastern. So, I guess I will stick to the places that interest me. I was just really disappointed in the smelly ship, and broken elevators - and no one seemed to care when we pointed out that the elevator had been stuck on our floor for over an hour. I'm really not a prima donna or anything - I was just not impressed AT ALL - if you didn't know that already!

what do you mean by the "clientel it attracts"??? just curious....

Archived