Carribean itineraries-which is better leaving from fort lauderdale or san juan?

californiacruiser

It's typically less expensive to fly into and out of Ft. Lauderdale over San Juan. But the advantage of sailing out of San Juan is that you are much further south. So it depends whether you want to save some money, or when you are sailing to get better weather (Ft. Lauderdale can be chilly in Jan or early Feb). Many factors apply.

If all things are equal, I'd much rather sail out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Unlike Host Anne we prefer sailing out of SJU. We have sailed out of both FLL/MIA and SJU many times. We enjoy the lower Caribbean port intensive itineraries. My DH is a shopaholic...he's on a first name basis with merchants from Aruba to Freeport. I love the old forts and the varied vegetation which makes each island unique. Most cruises leaving Florida have a short stop in Puerto Rico and it is a wonderful island to visit. The rain forest is fantastic, and so is the Bacardi rum tour. Dominica is a terribly poor island but it is beautiful and we jumped a puddle from the Atlantic to the Caribbean seas. The time spent in port is what we cruise for, not the sea days. We always have to rest up a day anyway so we might as well do it from a cruise that pleases both of us. If I were travelling from California to the Caribbean I would certainly tack on a few days to play land tourist before and after my cruise. When we meet cruisers from the West Coast on board they all say they wish that they had travelled a day or two early to our port of embarcation. Happy planning!

I was trying to decide which itinerary. The constellation out of san juan or the millenium out of fort lauderdale. Has anyone done either of them? If so what did you like about it or not.

Hi Californiacruiser !

Typically, airfare costs much less to fly into Ft. Lauderdale, than it does to San Juan. Host Anne made some very good points, so I wont go there again.

I am probably not the best person to ask. I live about 20 minutes from the Ft. Lauderdale Pier. So, I typically sail out of South Florida.

I have sailed out of San Juan a few times, and both times, I felt the embarcation and disembarcation was not as good as Florida. Also, the San Juan Airport is much further away from the Pier. In Ft. Lauderdale, the Airport is 10 minutes away from the pier. You just cant do much better than that !

Anyway, I am sure this comes as no surprise, but, Ft. Lauderdale gets my vote.

Regards,

Andy

Hi,

We had a great experience going out of San Juan on the Constellation. We used a taxi -van just 2 of us, $17.plus tip each way. We arrived early 11:20 and the buses had not arrived yet. The terminal was empty and we were on the ship in 10 minutes(ship was ready and they let us on but told us to go up to the buffet lunch. Cabins not ready yet . For us the toughest part was staying awake for the muster drill(10pm and we are only 46) . We were up since 4am and after a great and very filling dinner at Ocean Liners, I had that same feeling as after Thanksgiving dinner, lay down. We also liked going out of pan american pier. We liked the open area as opposed to old san juan. It was our 10th cruise but 1st with Celebrity(7RCI-1 PRINCESS-1 CARNIVAL-1 CELEBRITY) and we loved it! It is a beautiful ship and great food and service. We are going out of Ft Lauderdale Jan 7th(9 night) on the Summit. Finally a cruise over 7 nights. We are going to use a taxi again(we liked not waiting for the bus and it was easy. Has anyone used a van or taxi in Ft Lauderdale and know the cost? Thanks, Bill

I agree with all the above posters, but for me it is ONLY the ininerary that I am looking for along with the accomodations available on the ship I am looking at! To save a few $$ on air but go to ports I don't really care that much about doesn't make any sense, so I pick the inin first! JMHO!!!

It is easier and cheaper to cruise in and out of Florida vs. San Juan. Although, the ports are a lot neater the further south you go in the Eastern Carribean. The nice thing about the Century is that next summer you can cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on a 9 day cruise and go all the way south to more exotic islands like St.Lucia, Antigua, and Barbados.

If you enjoy sea days, then I would pick Port Everglades. The cruises out of San Juan generally have very few sea days. They are port intensive cruises. We enjoy sea days. Will have 10 of them coming up in Dec. on a RT from San Diego to Hawaii. We are really looking forward to them. Will have port intensive time while in the islands. Will really need the time to relax afterwards.

Hancock

I had a friend last year (January 03) who did a San Juan itenary. She said that the airport was an awful mess to get through on the way back-over crowed, long lines, and uncomfortable! That may not matter to you, but it pretty much made me think that I will never cruise from San Juan!

I lived Upstate NY before moving to Fl. My all-time choice would be a cruise from San Juan. I say that, but I still want to go to San Juan a day before the cruise. I have been on cruises from Ft. Lauderdale. The ones from San Juan have better cruise weather, better ports and are far more fun than the ones from Ft. Lauderdale. I agree that the San Juan airport is the pits, but the cruise makes up for it. I think the biggest problem with the airport is trying to get early flights. If you have patience, and grab a van doing a city tour before your flight, you won't have all that much trouble at the airport. (Still a problem, but not to worry.) I would vote for a cruise from San Juan anytime. You can't get to Aruba on a 7 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale, and it's a great port. JMHO.

Use your frequent flyer miles if you have them and leave out of san juan. The money you save on the flights can be used towards a hotel and stay a couple days after the cruise. No overly crowded airport(btw i dont know too many airports that are empty of PAX and long lines)/2 extra vacation days and much nicer weather than ft lauderdale in winter.

If i had a choice(since i have done ft laud and san juan)...san juan would be it! Yes the cruises that leave from sju are port heavy however you aren't forced to leave the ship. I just relax by the pool while all the other lemmings have left the ship(far better than dealing with an overcrowded pool during sea days)

Most florida cruises go either eastern or western carib. If you have to choose from florida I preferred the western carib.(grand cayman,cozumel,jamaica) over the eastern itinerary(san juan,st maartin,st thomas) The eastern itinerary gives you islands that you will repeat on a southern carib cruise out of san juan.

Also compare ship prices...the florida cruise may cost you more than 1 out of san juan which defrays the cost of additional airfares.

have fun deciding!

*sweet*

Archived