What are The Jewels of Seas secrets-shhh we won't tell

Thanks to all who have submitted secrets about the Jewel and excursions. Can't believe that's all the secrets about the Jewel!:rolleyes: I'm sure there are more excursions to hear about in Columbia, Panama and Costa Rica, Aruba and the Caymans!

Thanks for the information it's very much appreciated!:D

White Water Rafting.

We try to book on our own, but this one I recommend you do through the ship. Infratstructure is not great in Costa Rica, a broken down bus might mean a problem getting back to the ship if you are not on a ship sponsored tour.

The White Water Rafting is a rush! Not to be missed!!!!

And you get back in time to meander around the stalls set up off the pier for any last minute shopping (COFFEE!!!!!).

I know on the Grand Class Princess ships there is one deck that has the largest balconies. Is there one deck on the Jewel that is better than another for a balcony?

Anne

It depends on what category you are thinking of booking but yes, there are differences by deck and where on each deck; e.g. D1 aft balconcies on the Radiance class are terrific especially corner afts. Lots of photos in the link below.

Kathy

Photos from the April Trans/atl crossing

http://public.fotki.com/SpringTx/jewel-of-the-seas/

Great pictures. I have a question concerning formal wear. On another thread someone wrote a review of their cruse on the Freedom stating there was little to no formal dress. Was this true onboard the Jewel?

I am so bummed. We are booked on the Jewel for Nov. '09. I just found out last night that beginning in the Fall of '09 the Jewel will no longer be entering the Canal but will dock for the day in Colon. RCCL has changed the name from 11 day Ultimate Panama Canal to 11 day Ultimate Carribean. We can't travel any earlier then Fall '09 because my wife is a teacher and we can't take off during the winter. We are both retiring this Spring and were really looking forward to finally being able to do this cruise. We will probably wind up canceling.

I am so bummed. We are booked on the Jewel for Nov. '09. I just found out last night that beginning in the Fall of '09 the Jewel will no longer be entering the Canal but will dock for the day in Colon. RCCL has changed the name from 11 day Ultimate Panama Canal to 11 day Ultimate Carribean. We can't travel any earlier then Fall '09 because my wife is a teacher and we can't take off during the winter. We are both retiring this Spring and were really looking forward to finally being able to do this cruise. We will probably wind up canceling.

Ouch! That is really too bad. Hope you are somehow going to end up going before then. There seems to be alot of itinerary changes lately; our 7 night on the Liberty for Jan 2010 originally included Grand Cayman and now it has been dropped.

Kathy

Hey everyone:

I'm scheduled on the Jewel for the repo cruise Oct 28 from Boston to Miami. I just couldn't resist reading this thread. I've cruised on Radiance before, I know this ship is very similar (but newer).

We'll try to leave the ship in working order for those of you who are on the 11/7 cruise. After the Halloween party that we'll have on board, there are no guarantees however.

Take care and cruise boldly everyone.

Hey everyone:

I'm scheduled on the Jewel for the repo cruise Oct 28 from Boston to Miami. I just couldn't resist reading this thread. I've cruised on Radiance before, I know this ship is very similar (but newer).

We'll try to leave the ship in working order for those of you who are on the 11/7 cruise. After the Halloween party that we'll have on board, there are no guarantees however.

Take care and cruise boldly everyone.

Thanks Larry, but go ahead and party hardy! We aren't cruising until April 13:) That'll give them plenty of time to get her back in great shape! LOL

We were on the Jewel in '06 and going again in 53 days! Make sure you have at least one lunch at the Seaview Cafe. It really is a great place - good food, beautiful view(especially if you're cruising). We ate there a few times even foregoing having dinner in the dining room. Have a great time - I know we will!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sue

maybe move to 12/21/09 rci hasn't changed the intin. still going partially through

:confused: Has anyone taken a Lee Miles tour in Columbia, or Charlie Soto's tour in Costa Rica? What did you do in Panama? Has anyone done the fishing for Peacock Bass, or seen the native Indians? Please let me know, can't find out much about these excursions on the "Port" boards. :confused:

Thanks so Much

• 1 month later...
Photos from the April Trans/atl crossing

http://public.fotki.com/SpringTx/jewel-of-the-seas/

Thank you for those pictures they are really well done.... This is coming from another photographer great job..

That Ship is really beautiful, I mean stunning i hadn't realized how beautiful it is maybe my next cruise will be on that ship

We are thinking of taking this cruise on November the 9, 2008. We were wondering about the ship. We have only been on the Mariner and AOS.

The one thing my husband liked was the Promanade cafe that was open 24hours so he could get a snack before he went up at night. Do they have a cafe open 24 hours. The pictures are great. Thanks.

Does the ship actually go thru the canal.

Archived