What are The Jewels of Seas secrets-shhh we won't tell

We'll be sailing the Jewel Apr. '09 & I was already excited about the Canal but now...Wow! I had no idea the ship was so beautiful. These are the first pictures I've seen of her. Now I really can hardly wait. Thanks for sharing! Because of the time of night I came across this I only skimmed the ports until I saw Brussels. Our oldest son traveled there long ago w/the musical/good will group "Up With People". Now where are his pictures? Hmmm? No wonder you took so many pics & beautiful they are!

Great pictures. I have a question concerning formal wear. On another thread someone wrote a review of their cruse on the Freedom stating there was little to no formal dress. Was this true onboard the Jewel?

Hi, we've been on the Jewel twice. First time was the Caribbean. The profile photo attached here was taken on the 2nd formal night (21st December 2007- my 40th birthday, so it was extra special). We found it was probably about 75% in formal attire to 25% not on this cruise. However, the second time we were on the Jewel (June 2008) we cruised Scandinavia/Russia out of Harwich, England and I can honestly say I cannot recall anyone who was not in formal attire on the suggested evenings.

Hope this helps, Judi

Photos from the April Trans/atl crossing

http://public.fotki.com/SpringTx/jewel-of-the-seas/

Hi there!

I love your photos!

This is great because we booked this cabin before we noted on the deck plan that this had an 'obstructed view', so we changed it to 9250.

Have we done the right thing I wonder.

Would love your comments on this.

Thank you so much

I must admit...I have not read through all four pages of posts, but I believe the Solarium aboard the Jewel is absolutely georgous! It's a wonderful place to kick back and relax.

(After seeing the JOS's solarium, I was excited to see the solarium aboard the Enchantment last September. What a huge, ugly dissappointment! When I first saw it, I thought surely RCCL was in the process of remodelling it, because the setting is devoid of ornamentation that it looks like an ordinary YMCA swimming pool. EEEEE-yuk!)

Late in the evening, we discovered the Crown and Anchor Lounge - where you would go to book another cruise. Not a soul was around, and the lounge is "suspended" over the center of the Centrum. Look down through the center glass table if you dare! :D Then go down to the floor of the Centrum and look up, to see the lounge. ;)

Also, has anyone ever seen them change the signs in the elevator?? We got on at 12:15 AM after the Halloween Party, and they were already changed. :)

Late in the evening, we discovered the Crown and Anchor Lounge - where you would go to book another cruise. Not a soul was around, and the lounge is "suspended" over the center of the Centrum. Look down through the center glass table if you dare! :D Then go down to the floor of the Centrum and look up, to see the lounge. ;)

Also, has anyone ever seen them change the signs in the elevator?? We got on at 12:15 AM after the Halloween Party, and they were already changed. :)

The Crown and Anchor Lounge sounds wonderful! Thanks for the tip!

Who does change those rugs, it's magic! LOL

Jan

You will love the passing through the locks. It is fascinating. We attended the lecture in the Theater and learned alot before we went through the canal. We then took the ferry ride through the canal, two locks. The ship only goes through one lock. The ferry ride was great and you get some more information and history of the building of the canal. We had to take a long bus ride but for us it was worth it.

There is alot of information on the Panama Canal board that addresses many of the excursions.

The Radiance class ships are wonderful and you will have an amazing cruise to remember.

You will love the passing through the locks. It is fascinating. We attended the lecture in the Theater and learned alot before we went through the canal. We then took the ferry ride through the canal, two locks. The ship only goes through one lock. The ferry ride was great and you get some more information and history of the building of the canal. We had to take a long bus ride but for us it was worth it.

There is alot of information on the Panama Canal board that addresses many of the excursions.

The Radiance class ships are wonderful and you will have an amazing cruise to remember.

We can hardly wait! Thanks for reminding us how special this cruise will be!!!!!

There is a secret passageway.........either on deck 6 or 7 forward, that will lead you to the bow of the ship and the helipad. From there you can be just one deck above where all of the lines are connected to the "mules" that help guide the ship, so that the sides never touch the walls of the canal.

It's an incredible view from the bow!!

Rick

Please tell me more information about this secret passage. Deck 6 has the Coral Theater in the bow. Where is the passage?

Please tell me more information about this secret passage. Deck 6 has the Coral Theater in the bow. Where is the passage?

While you are out on deck 5, just keep going forward. There is a gate that was always open when we were there, and it leads to the passage that will take you up one flight of steps to the helipad. You can go down the other side, and deck 5 goes all the way around the ship. You can get right to the back of the ship also. As we sat in deck chairs, we watched many a walker/jogger go around and around. :p

• 2 months later...

We were on the Jewel in January - partial transit of the Panama Canal. It was amazing and we enjoyed every moment of it. Go to the Seaview Cafe...say Hi to Pilar who is the day manager, she is wonderful as well as the milkshakes and all the food is quite tasty.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Have been on 6 different RCCL ships and Jewel is BY FAR the prettiest of all, with BEST service too. I think having same Captain since it's first sailing helps. His management style is reflected in the crew, they are happy(at least it sure seems that way), and do their jobs well. I would sail only on Jewel if I could!!

Have been on 6 different RCCL ships and Jewel is BY FAR the prettiest of all, with BEST service too. I think having same Captain since it's first sailing helps. His management style is reflected in the crew, they are happy(at least it sure seems that way), and do their jobs well. I would sail only on Jewel if I could!!

Not sure whether you are talking about Captain Thore or Captain James. We have sailed with both and have always been impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the crew. We sailed with Captain Lis on last year's transatlantic and found that she was equally impressive and apparently quite popular with the crew.:) We have three cruises scheduled onboard her later this year and looking forward to all of them.

:confused: Has anyone taken a Lee Miles tour in Columbia, or Charlie Soto's tour in Costa Rica? What did you do in Panama? Has anyone done the fishing for Peacock Bass, or seen the native Indians? Please let me know, can't find out much about these excursions on the "Port" boards. :confused:

Thanks so Much

We did this trip in December and as always had a great time. It was our fourth time to the canal. We are sure you'll love this cruise.

We used Euvangie Tours in Costa Rica. We took a nice boat ride up the Torturgero Canals and saw a lot of wildlife, visited an animal rescue center, banana plantation, had lunch at a local restaurant and went to a local super market to load up on Costa Rican coffee at bargain basement prices. We've heard good things about Charlie Soto but we've Euvangie Tours several times and know they are a winner.

We had several people on our cruise critic board interested so we arrange a private tour with them. It was a lot of fun as we all knew each other!

You all seem like you have cruised on the 'Jewel' many times so hope you know the answer to this one.

Why would her cruise on March 2, 2010 already be "Sold Out"? And there aren't any cruises listed for Feb, 2010 so I figured she must be in dry dock in Feb., 2010 in Vancouver. The end of January she ends up in Vancouver which is a very peculiar time of year to sail to Vancouver and then she sails from Vancouver to San Diego on March 2. I booked what looked like the last cabin left on her today. Cause after I booked no more cabins were showing available and then I talked to my travel agent (I had booked on their web site) and she said it looked "Sold out" to her. And she even wondered why so far ahead unless it is because the Jewel is on the West Coast for the first time.

Anyone know anything?

We were booked on the Jewel in Feb 2010. RCCL has leased the ship (supposedly) to the RCMP for the Winter Olympics housing in Vancouver. I know we moved our cruise to Nov of this year as ours was also "sold out" for many weeks before RCL started moving the passengers already booked on those cruises. I do not remember all of the dates of the effected cruises but do know that some of Feb and March 2010 cruises were part of the cruises that were changed. There was a couple of threads that were discussing this and the events happening in Vancouver with the RCMP and the company they leased with.

I will let you know, that I called my TA several times with the information before RCCL actually confirmed the changes. I actually told him what the offers were to move the cruise and which dates. It took him about a week to actually get the information from RCCL, that was already posted here on Cruise Critic.

Bette & Bill: Thank you so much for your post. That explains things. Wonder if they are also planning on using my sailing 3/2/2010 and that is why it is "sold out". Maybe to transfer some people down to San Diego. Who knows? Oh, well, guess we will wait and see. I sent this info. to my travel agent.

Do you know if any of the March sailings were affected?

We are going to be on JOS very soon! :D As part of our Meet & Mingle we've decided to do a Cabin/Ship crawl and check out the different cabins and restaurants/bars along the way. Are there any MUST SEES for our group?

The ship sponsored M&M is at 11:30am and we are going to head out for the Crawl afterwards... should we plan a little stop for lunch or will there be enough food provided at the M&M (not that any of us will ever go hungry on the ship). Are the lounges/bars only open at certain times or can we get in at any time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We are going to be on JOS very soon! :D As part of our Meet & Mingle we've decided to do a Cabin/Ship crawl and check out the different cabins and restaurants/bars along the way. Are there any MUST SEES for our group?

The ship sponsored M&M is at 11:30am and we are going to head out for the Crawl afterwards... should we plan a little stop for lunch or will there be enough food provided at the M&M (not that any of us will ever go hungry on the ship). Are the lounges/bars only open at certain times or can we get in at any time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We did a slot pull at 9:30 AM, went to the M & M, broke for lunch and then did the cabin crawl at 1:15 PM.

There are a few snacks at the M & M but nothing substancial. We think a lunch break is definately a good idea.

Archived