$14.95 for STEAK???

Gracie115

Just back from Freedom of the Seas today! What a great cruise! Anyhow, I am happy to update you all on the above questions!

1. Yes, the $14.95 Chops steak is on the menu in the Dining Room EVERY night. It is highlighted on the menu with a box around it in the center of the menu, presumably to draw attention to it. You cannot miss it!

2. Yes, on some nights there is a regular steak on the menu, but not on all nights. I believe it was on 2 nights. When those non upcharge steaks were on the menu, the Chops steak was still there on the menu as well.

3. Yes, the head waiter brought a slip to sign (just as if one was ordering wine with dinner).

4. The steak itself cost $13.00 + the automatic 15% gratuity which makes it $14.95. So, there is no additional charge on top of the $14.95 unless you wanted to add additional gratuity. It is advertised on the menu as $14.95 though, not $13.00.

5. Neither my husband nor I ordered it because someone else at our table ordered it. We were off the hook, so to speak. Our tablemate did not like the steak at all. His words were, "This is very bland, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone." He ordered it on Dinner #3. Others at the table made comments like, "I wouldn't spend additional money on a steak unless I was dining in Chops." Or, "I spent $3,000 on this cruise and I'm not going to spend more money on steak that should be included with my meal."

I took a picture of his steak, attached as a thumbnail here so you can see the presentation of it. He had already taken a bite by the time I took the photo. :)

Was the prime rib offered on the nights that the regular steak wasn't offered? Did you get chocolates on your pillow?

I don't understand why there is an additional 15% gratuity added to the steak? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I was thinking that exact same thing. 15% for the waitier who you are already tipping in the first place. Perhaps he/she somehow works harder carrying the premium steak out of the kitchen than he does the regular one??

I don't understand why there is an additional 15% gratuity added to the steak? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Must be akin to the automatic gratutity for bar service; but nowhere on the menus we had on FOS last month was there any indication that the $14.95 charge included a separate charge for a gratuity. Now that's REALLY tacky...and a bit sneaky, too!

I was thinking that exact same thing. 15% for the waitier who you are already tipping in the first place. Perhaps he/she somehow works harder carrying the premium steak out of the kitchen than he does the regular one??

I'm sure it's an incentive for the waiters to push the steak. They probably have to upsell 15 steaks per voyage or they lose a table on the next cruise.

I'm sure it's an incentive for the waiters to push the steak. They probably have to upsell 15 steaks per voyage or they lose a table on the next cruise.

Marci22 -- I believe MeriomMom reported that on the Majesty, the waiters (at least in her section of the MDR) weren't hard-selling the $14.95 steak.

But you are absolutely onto something new here, and it's an angle that hadn't occurred to me. Over time, you're 100% right ... the natural next step will be to push the upsell item. Perhaps the Food and Beverage execs will demand it of the waiters, but perhaps it will just take over as human nature.

Picture yourself as one of the wildly overworked MDR waiters (overworked even more since the cutback in assistant waiters). Suddely, RCL leaves an option for you to get more money ... maybe you ignore it, but you certainly see other waiters ending the week with an extra $20 or $40 or $100 just from the steak upsell. The pressure is going to get pretty heavy to start pushing it to your own customers ... even if you're doing it subconsciously. And if more upsell items hit the menu next year, it will be viciously tough for a waiter to say "Hey, tonight's vegetarian curry is great ... and it's the only item that doesn't carry an upcharge. I recommend it highly."

ANOTHER reason to keep prices off the MDR menu. :cool:

RCL is gradually going to put it waiters in this position, and don't believe that Fain & Friends don't know it. :eek:

Thanks for pointing out another element of their upsell steak strategy, Marci22! ;)

End the RCL pay-per-entree scam

Say NO to Fain

I'm sure this has already been discussed but, my problem with this whole concept is What's Next?!

First the midnight buffet goes bye bye. Then there's an extra charge for ice cream. Then there's specialty resturaunts. And now a "extra charge" item in the MDR. What's next an extra charge for room service?

How about an extra charge for pizza? Think of the money they'd make there off all the teenagers! And then what happens if this steak is permanently added to the menu? One of the ways to reduce food costs is to cut items from the menu so the next logial step is to remove one of the "free" menu items. And then maybe they introduce a special "organic" chicken pasta dish, or fish dish and there's a "charge" for that too.

I see this as another step towards having to pay for your food AND activities on cruises. (after all, why not make you buy tickets for the shows or charge an extra $10 for the flow rider, maybe $2 for a little putt putt?

This may not be entirely bad since I know some (me included) would probably eat less on a cruise. But, there it is!

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I freely admit to not reading all 40+ pages.

I would imagine that the 15% gratuity is the waiter's "cut" or commission, so to speak, for the upsell... I wouldn't say s/he necessarily "works harder" to deliver that steak, but it does add an extra step to his service routine... that being, that now he has to stop at the grill station to place the order (and back to retreive it when ready) instead of just picking up the pre-plated entrees for delivery...

So let me see if I'm up to speed...

1. Freedom and Majesty are now offering a steak up-sell.

2. You CAN still get the alternative steak, as it is offered on the menu at least a few nights of the cruise in addition to the up-sell...

3. You CAN request the alternative steak and will more than likely get it.

So at this point, the argument centers around the tackiness of the up-sell on the menu?

And this is different from pushing wine and shooters, how? Aside from the fact that it is listed on the menu...

Up-selling and suggestive selling is such a huge part of the business model for land-based establishments that it was only a matter of time before someone in the cruise business caught on to the lucrativeness of this business model...

I sincerely doubt that MDR waiters were being asked for Chops food in the MDR and I doubt that this is in response to that alleged request... however, I don't think it's outside the realm to suspect that this is a marketing tool to promote more reservations at Chops...

As in, diner orders the up-sell steak and enjoys it so much (presumably) that they are then enticed to book Chops for the full experience... I am sure they have a number of reservations to hit per cruise and if they weren't hitting that number, this would be some Marketing Execs' idea of a way to push those ressie numbers up... Probably some young dude fresh out of an over-priced East Coast university's business program...

It's like a reverse sampling strategy... except you pay for the sample before deciding to purchase the full experience...

As as interesting side note... my recent C&A magazine has a very-telling statement right on the front cover:

"See how we're challenging the notion of what a cruise vacation can be"

What this tells me is that they are evolving their business, changing their business model, if you will...

The way I see it... you either like the new model and continue to book with them... or you don't, and move on to something else... seems pretty simple... I for one, am not someone who expects a business to stay the same.. I expect them to evolve and I expect that evolution to include changes which I may not like... there's far too much competition out there for me to worry about one cruiseline that can't meet my needs... there are plenty of ships to sail and plenty of cruiselines who can and will meet my needs in the future... and who will be more than happy to do business with me...

The way I see it... you either like the new model and continue to book with them... or you don't, and move on to something else... seems pretty simple... I for one, am not someone who expects a business to stay the same.. I expect them to evolve and I expect that evolution to include changes which I may not like... there's far too much competition out there for me to worry about one cruiseline that can't meet my needs... there are plenty of ships to sail and plenty of cruiselines who can and will meet my needs in the future... and who will be more than happy to do business with me...

Very true. But I believe that if enough loyal cruisers from RCL let the Company know upfront during the trial period that we do indeed think this is tacky and we do not want to see food items "Advertised" for sale on the Menus in the MDR, they just might listen. They do focus groups, I have received 10 minute long surveys directly from RCL regarding my cruising experience. They DO listen to their customers. So if enough of us say "No, don't go this way", they just might listen. And if enough say, "fine with me" or say nothing AT ALL, then it will succeed and eventually we will be paying to eat in the MDR with the only "Choice" left for dining without an additional charge being the Windjammer. If that is what people want, than so be it.

Straight from Cruise Critic article "Members Have Cow Over Steak Surcharge" -

"Here's where things get even more confusing: The menu refers to the newly available test cut as a "Chops" steak -- Chops Grille being the line's signature alternative steakhouse eatery which levies a $25 per person surcharge. However, this particular cut or type of steak is not actually served in any of the fleet's Chops restaurants, according to Liu, nor is it prepared by Chops chefs or in Chops galleys. In fact, the beef in Chops is not even necessarily organic, as this steak is.

So why even mention Chops -- and why not simply test out the organic special in Chops, which specializes in quality meats for a premium price? "We wanted to test this in a venue that will garner us the most feedback," Liu says. "We also wanted to [accommodate] guests who would not necessarily go for the full Chops experience but are interested in an organic strip steak or a very choice piece of meat.'"

So the Chops steak alternative available for an up-charge of $14.95 in the MDR on FOS isn't even a Chops steak - but they call it a Chops steak because they "wanted to test this in a venue that will garner...the most feedback?" Huh? Hmmm...sounds like a lot of marketing doubletalk to me. Can't wait to hear from EscapeFromConnecticut after he reads the article appearing on the home page!

And...I stand by my word that on five of the five nights we ate in the MDR on our FOS cruise, the ONLY steak appearing on the menu was the steak which from this point forward shall be known as the Not-so-Chops steak. The only always available alternatives on those five menus were chicken, salmon and pasta. Perhaps the former always available steak alternative was available upon request, as noted in the article; but if one never knew it used to be there and now is gone, how would one know to request it?

lysolq,

I posted on the other thread (Picture of New Menu....) after reading the Cruise Critic article Laura S. posted today AND seeing the photo on that thread (posted by Merion Mom) of the new menu featuring the "Advertisement" for the Not-so-Chops steak for $14.95. Look at her photo of the menu and you will see that the "Ad" has "CHOPS GRILLE" (with a circle around it) prominently displayed, even though we all know for sure now that this steak is NOT from Chops, NOT prepared by a Chops Chef, etc As I noted in that post, looks like false advertising to me.

Look at her photo of the menu and you will see that the "Ad" has "CHOPS GRILLE" (with a circle around it) prominently displayed, even though we all know for sure now that this steak is NOT from Chops, NOT prepared by a Chops Chef, etc As I noted in that post, looks like false advertising to me.

Marketing, marketing, marketing...

Straight from Cruise Critic article "Members Have Cow Over Steak Surcharge" -

"Here's where things get even more confusing: The menu refers to the newly available test cut as a "Chops" steak -- Chops Grille being the line's signature alternative steakhouse eatery which levies a $25 per person surcharge. However, this particular cut or type of steak is not actually served in any of the fleet's Chops restaurants, according to Liu, nor is it prepared by Chops chefs or in Chops galleys. In fact, the beef in Chops is not even necessarily organic, as this steak is.

So why even mention Chops -- and why not simply test out the organic special in Chops, which specializes in quality meats for a premium price? "We wanted to test this in a venue that will garner us the most feedback," Liu says. "We also wanted to [accommodate] guests who would not necessarily go for the full Chops experience but are interested in an organic strip steak or a very choice piece of meat.'"

So the Chops steak alternative available for an up-charge of $14.95 in the MDR on FOS isn't even a Chops steak - but they call it a Chops steak because they "wanted to test this in a venue that will garner...the most feedback?" Huh? Hmmm...sounds like a lot of marketing doubletalk to me. Can't wait to hear from EscapeFromConnecticut after he reads the article appearing on the home page!

And...I stand by my word that on five of the five nights we ate in the MDR on our FOS cruise, the ONLY steak appearing on the menu was the steak which from this point forward shall be known as the Not-so-Chops steak. The only always available alternatives on those five menus were chicken, salmon and pasta. Perhaps the former always available steak alternative was available upon request, as noted in the article; but if one never knew it used to be there and now is gone, how would one know to request it?

I am so confused.

The Chops steak, isn't really a Chops steak. It's not available in Chops, nor prepared in Chops.

They "want to test this in a venue that will garner the most feedback"

However, everyone who has posted has said that there's no "hard sell" and I don't believe anyone has been asked to provide "feedback" on the not-Chops steak.

Then they state they want to accomodate those guests who might want to try the Chops steak in the dining room....why? So they could go to Chops to find out that the supposed Chops steak they had in the DR isn't available in Chops.

They are trying to make this sound like it's a wonderful idea. Then why wasn't there a "TA DA!!!!! Guess what we have for you" announcement.

I feel like they're trying to tell us the sky is Pink. How many people do you think will believe it?

I'm sure this has already been discussed but, my problem with this whole concept is What's Next?!

First the midnight buffet goes bye bye. Then there's an extra charge for ice cream. Then there's specialty resturaunts. And now a "extra charge" item in the MDR. What's next an extra charge for room service?

How about an extra charge for pizza? Think of the money they'd make there off all the teenagers! And then what happens if this steak is permanently added to the menu? One of the ways to reduce food costs is to cut items from the menu so the next logial step is to remove one of the "free" menu items. And then maybe they introduce a special "organic" chicken pasta dish, or fish dish and there's a "charge" for that too.

I see this as another step towards having to pay for your food AND activities on cruises. (after all, why not make you buy tickets for the shows or charge an extra $10 for the flow rider, maybe $2 for a little putt putt?

This may not be entirely bad since I know some (me included) would probably eat less on a cruise. But, there it is!

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I freely admit to not reading all 40+ pages.

I totally agree with this post. Folks....it's has a very slippery slope with onboard sales since I started cruise back in 1980. The reality is that the cruise line executive whom answer to the stock holders are trying to find any way to up the bottom line by add extra pay activities and turning the dining room from an expense center to a profit center. However, they don't want to upset the feathers of their "loyal" customer base with too much nickling and diming....at least they are trying not to make you believe this is what they are doing. This $14.95 steak is just a test to see how the response (both financially and emotional) it would be. You can see what the emotional response has been and I can assure you the marketing folks are reading all our postings!! For me personally this is really crossing the line. I believe the cruise line executives have been moving their produce from an "all-inclusive" vacation to a pay as you go which in my opinion really cheapness the experience. On NCL they promote this as "free style dining" but in reality it's just a way to get you to pay for really good food. I think if the executive could get away with it, you could really see two dining menus in the MDR - one for free with mediocre to average food and an extra fee menu with outstanding food. I just got off the Vision of the Sea and although the food was good I was not overly impressed to want to take another RCCL cruise again. It will really be interesting to see where all this end.

I think if the executive could get away with it, you could really see two dining menus in the MDR - one for free with mediocre to average food and an extra fee menu with outstanding food.

Gee, I remember the days when the MDR was the spot for "outstanding" food - free of charge!

Things have been changing in the MDR for awhile now.

Pax want to be able to wear what they want and most pax say it doesn't bother them.

Pax want to be able to be seated late and many pax say that doesn't bother them.

I've seen polls on here that state that RCI pax don't let what others do "ruin their vacation". So why not have upscale meals for sale in the MDR? Pax pay extra now for drinks and soda and those after dinner drinks. Why not be able to order a whole lobster and pay for it? Why not be able to order better steaks? Why should pax have to miss the MDR experience and have to go to a specialty to get what they are willing to pay for?

Many pax are annoyed that they should have to go and eat in the Windjammer just because they want to dress down. If that is the case those pax that want to order better meals and pay for them should be able to utilize the MDR.

RCI has gotten lax with all of their rules and most people don't care as long as it doesn't affect them. Now RCI is taking it a step further and offering pax an opportunity to purchase upscale meals and enjoy them in the MDR.

Good for RCI!!!

I would imagine that the 15% gratuity is the waiter's "cut" or commission, so to speak, for the upsell... I wouldn't say s/he necessarily "works harder" to deliver that steak, but it does add an extra step to his service routine... that being, that now he has to stop at the grill station to place the order (and back to retreive it when ready) instead of just picking up the pre-plated entrees for delivery...

2. You CAN still get the alternative steak, as it is offered on the menu at least a few nights of the cruise in addition to the up-sell...

So at this point, the argument centers around the tackiness of the up-sell on the menu?

And this is different from pushing wine and shooters, how? Aside from the fact that it is listed on the menu...

Up-selling and suggestive selling is such a huge part of the business model for land-based establishments that it was only a matter of time before someone in the cruise business caught on to the lucrativeness of this business model...

I sincerely doubt that MDR waiters were being asked for Chops food in the MDR and I doubt that this is in response to that alleged request... however, I don't think it's outside the realm to suspect that this is a marketing tool to promote more reservations at Chops...

As in, diner orders the up-sell steak and enjoys it so much (presumably) that they are then enticed to book Chops for the full experience... I am sure they have a number of reservations to hit per cruise and if they weren't hitting that number, this would be some Marketing Execs' idea of a way to push those ressie numbers up... Probably some young dude fresh out of an over-priced East Coast university's business program...

It's like a reverse sampling strategy... except you pay for the sample before deciding to purchase the full experience...

As as interesting side note... my recent C&A magazine has a very-telling statement right on the front cover:

"See how we're challenging the notion of what a cruise vacation can be"

What this tells me is that they are evolving their business, changing their business model, if you will...

After being away for a week and a half I find it amusing that this is still going on.

Very well thought out, and well said.

Very good point. And even if they are not hawking the upcharge items now during the "test" period I wouldn't doubt that it will come to that. I'm sure the crew would not work half as hard up on deck selling drinks if it wasn't for the fact that they get a cut on every one that they sell.

For how long CAN people get the alternative steak if it isn't on the menu?

How will the first time cruisers KNOW they can get the steak if it is not adverstised? If this is a success, do you think this will be the only charge on the menu? If they put all their efforts in the upgraded meal, why would they strive to make a meal that does not have an additional charge edible? For pride maybe? People have been complaining forever it seems about the sunken food quality. If this works on this line, other lines are sure to follow. Everyone complains about the airline surcharges. If people refused to fly with the first carrier to implement the first charges, they would not have added more, they would have stopped the surcharges to stay in business. This is the same thing. This is all about the erosion of customer service. Take for example Bed Bath and Beyond, & Linens N Things. Bed Bath and Beyond stresses customer service, while Linens N Things stresses keep the cost low mentality. Not surprisingly, Linens N Things recently filed for Chapter 11 protection. I've said it in prior posts, that I just want to be taken care of, not taken advantage of.

Very good point. And even if they are not hawking the upcharge items now during the "test" period I wouldn't doubt that it will come to that. I'm sure the crew would not work half as hard up on deck selling drinks if it wasn't for the fact that they get a cut on every one that they sell.

I don't mean to state the obvious... but...

when you work for tips, that is quite an incentive... so yes, the bartenders on deck have something at stake to serve you quickly and to get as many orders in as possible...

take your land-based restaurants for instance... the higher your check, the more tip a server should receive - provided the service is to your satisfaction...

And yes, if this experiment works, you should expect the servers to start trying to upsell you... sad but true...

NOT THAT I THINK THIS IS A GOOD WAY TO GO BUT....

If you think about it, it's a logical business model to adopt... If the servers get a cut for the items that they "sell" you - it sure does help out on that issue of those who do not tip...

If you have to pay for your food as you go, you sure aren't going to waste it are you? No more ordering 4 entrees just to "try them" and then having that food go to waste...

It's a business model that fits the size of the ships they are building and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see cruise fares looking more like a trip to WDW... Choose your accommodation, choose your meal plan - that's the price you pay... and honestly, it's not a bad idea... they could keep things traditional on the older, smaller ships... but with their ships becoming the "destination" (their words, not mine)... a business model like this seems to fit right in...

It's not the way I choose to cruise... but there is probably a market for it...

For how long CAN people get the alternative steak if it isn't on the menu? Who knows dude! It's a trial on certain ships, remember??

How will the first time cruisers KNOW they can get the steak if it is not adverstised? They won't... just like they won't know how cruising used to be... will they feel cheated??? Probably not, they don't know what they're missing...If this is a success, do you think this will be the only charge on the menu? If it succeeds, then it tells them they have a market for this style of cruising and they go forth... that's how businesses work... If it fails, they'll try something different... evolution is a constant process... and if businesses aren't evolving then they go the way of the dinosaur... If they put all their efforts in the upgraded meal, why would they strive to make a meal that does not have an additional charge edible? For pride maybe? People have been complaining forever it seems about the sunken food quality. If this works on this line, other lines are sure to follow. Look at Freestyle Dining on NCL... now the other lines are trying it... obviously it's working for some people... Everyone complains about the airline surcharges. I personally, do not, because I don't fly airlines that charge me for baggage or choosing or seat or what have you... I am fortunate enough to be able to stick with Southwest or Airtran - both are reasonably priced for my needs... If people refused to fly with the first carrier to implement the first charges, they would not have added more, they would have stopped the surcharges to stay in business.but they didn't 'cause the demand is great enough that people are paying it... This is the same thing. This is all about the erosion of customer service. Welcome to the business world of the future! Sucks doesn't it!Take for example Bed Bath and Beyond, & Linens N Things. Bed Bath and Beyond stresses customer service, while Linens N Things stresses keep the cost low mentality. Same thing with bookstores, I work part-time for one that stresses customer service, the other is in bankruptcy... Evolution of business... Not surprisingly, Linens N Things recently filed for Chapter 11 protection. I've said it in prior posts, that I just want to be taken care of, not taken advantage of.Then take care of the businesses that take care of you... and let the others fall off... and when they do, someone else will come along to compete with the ones that are making money (presumably because they offer great customer service) and they too will offer a product to compete for your business...

Really good post... insightful and hits the nail on the head with regards to customer service... You're absolutely right... and quite frankly, what I've said above is exactly why we patronize local businesses as much as possible... Nobody treats you better or honors your loyalty more than a local business....

Really good post... insightful and hits the nail on the head with regards to customer service... You're absolutely right... and quite frankly, what I've said above is exactly why we patronize local businesses as much as possible... Nobody treats you better or honors your loyalty more than a local business....

amybear, don't start making too much sense. There are plenty here who cannot understand it, as well as some who just plain will not accept it, but instead of choosing some other venue, seem to think whining and complaining, ranting and raving and is the better way to go. The best way to show one's satisfaction, or dis-satisfaction with a business is with ones wallet.

Archived