Airlines & cost of Baggage

well i think that all airlines except for southwest are charging for second bags. i am flying with delta and it is 50 dollars for the second bag. also bags cannot exceed 62 inches linear (length, width, height combined) and cannot go over 50lbs otherwise will be charge an additional bag fee. this is lame because i purchased my tickets before any of these new restrictions and yet i still have to pay 25 dollars for my second bag but they say it will be refunded to me in form of rebate. i dont know what airline but i have read that some are actually chraging for first bag now so i guess i can consider myself "lucky". lol. Southwest would be the best route to go due to the fact they havent jumped on the whole charging for second bags, yet. however they do have a slightly limited flying schedule.

I am not familiar with all of the airlines and the choices that you have. If you can pack one bag and take a carry-on, Continental, and Delta do not charge for the first bag checked. However, most will charge you if the bag exceeds 50 lbs. Here are the list of airlines that do not charge for the 1st bag:

Delta

Continental

Airtran

Alaska

Frontier

Jetblue

Southwest

Midwest

However; airlines vary for the second bag.

I am changing my philosophy and taking one large suitcase and one carry on bag. You might want to check Southwest's website as they may allow two bags free. Bottom line is pack less or pay more.

I believe American is the only airline charging for the first as well as second bag so far! When shopping for a cheaper flight, take into account the cost of your bags as it could be cheaper to pay the bag cost than go with another airline who charges more. It is the bottom line that counts.

I'm looking at purchasing our airline tickets for our upcoming cruise.

With the high cost of airfare, I'm trying to keep cost down and booking on a airline that doesn't charge for baggage would help some.

Anyone have the lastes info?

Thanks

Southwest gives you 2 free bags per person....

Gotta love that airline.

If you are a Kayak user, there is an option on their site that list all airlines, what they charge for baggage, meals, extra legroom, preferred seats etc. It is updated regularly. As others have mentioned, check we are looking at booking our next cruise and finding it may be better to book with an airline that does charge for bags as the fares seem to be lower. You need to take all of this into account to get to the bottom line price!

Just flew American over the weekend...UGH! Not only did they charge $15 per checked bag, it was EACH WAY! I thought it was $15 per round trip.:eek:

Is this part of the ridiculous fees that is part of your ticket price, or is this additional once you get to the airport???

Is this part of the ridiculous fees that is part of your ticket price, or is this additional once you get to the airport???

This is in addition to the ticket price....and yes you pay it at the airport when you check the bag. :mad:

I'm looking at purchasing our airline tickets for our upcoming cruise.

With the high cost of airfare, I'm trying to keep cost down and booking on a airline that doesn't charge for baggage would help some.

Anyone have the lastes info?

Thanks

For our family cruise in December the cheapest air we found 1st was Airtran (they do not charge for the 1st bag..) and second cheapest is JetBlue (they do not charge for 1st bag either). i think southwest is cheap too but they do not fly to ALL ports or locations if going outside the US. Have a blessed time!

Archived