Question about PG

katiebeth

I am knew to the Regent boards and am considering a cruise next summer on the Paul Gauguin. We would love to see and experience French Polynesia. We are considering one of the 7 day itineraries with a pre or post cruise stay for 4 or 5 days.

We have cruised numerous times mostly Europe and Alaska on Celebrity, and most recently Azamara. We had a wonderful experience on the Azamara Quest this summer on a 14 night Greek Isles and Turkey cruise (also ports in Italy). The Quest was breathtakingly beautiful and the service was fantastic. The cabins were immaculate with all new furnishings, carpet, bedding, bathroom, etc. I do think that we have been spoiled!!

I have been doing a little research on the PG and it seems that most everyone has positive reviews of their experience. However, I have also read several reviews that indicate that the PG is in need of some major refurbishment and some feel that the overall experience does not compare favorably with other ships in the Regent fleet.

It is not an inexpensive cruise and I would hope that the service, cabins, and food would be in keeping with the luxury pricing.

Does anyone know if and when the PG is scheduled for a "face-lift."? I am not sure how Regent handles dry-dock, but the cruise lines I am familiar with normally use it for more mechanical than cosmetic type overalls.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Perhaps some recent cruisers can comment. I won't be on here again until December, and haven't since 2005, but I'll certainly comment on my return.

The ship is not as luxurious as the rest of the Regent fleet. But it is a lovely little ship. The staff are very gracioius and friendly, and the food is usually to a high standard.

I wouldn't worry too much, here the destination is the thing, and you will be treated very well.

Thanks Wendy for your response.

I forgot to ask whether or not the PG has any cabins that are connecting? It doesn't look like it from their deck plan on the Regent website, but I know that deck plans are not always accurate.

We are a family of 4, my husband, myself, and our two children ages 12 and 14. They will be 13 and 15 at the time of the cruise. We either need a stateroom/suite large enough to accomodate the 4 of us, or preferably two separate cabins. However, if we book separate cabins, we would prefer that connect.

Thanks again,

Nancy

If you iked the Quest, you will LOVE PG. We were on the Quest and really did not like it- it's supposed to be an upgrade of Celebrity- no way. Even the food was below Celeb... The PG is TOTALLY a different, much better experience. If I were you, I'd opt for a longer cruise. It's worth it...Enjoy...

Dear Drpad,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am sorry about your experience on

Azamara. I know many had some bad experiences during the inaugural phase, but things seem to have gotten much better. We sailed at the end of June this year and could not have been happy. I am rather particular and felt that on all levels Azamara was better than Celebrity. Although, we have always enjoyed Celebrity as well.

I am glad you mentioned the idea of a longer itinerary. We are use to the 14 day cruises in Europe, so 7 does seem short to us. However, I don't believe the PG offers anything other than the 7 day itinerary in June. (which is when we were looking at sailing). I think that in July they offer an 11 and 10 day sailing.

I am wondering if we should consider it. I was just hoping to stay 4 or 5 days in either Bora Bora or Moorea pre-cruise. I know the Four Seasons is opening up a new resort on Bora Bora sometime this month. We would love to stay there.

Anyway, the longer cruise is definitely something to consider.

Nancy

The 7-day itinerary is perfect for the first time. It's very port-intensive, and can be married very nicely with a pre-cruise or post-cruise visit to one or more of the islands.

I'm not sure about the adjoining cabin thing--perhaps not, but you can arrange to be next door at least.

Hello...

I think you'll be very satisfied with the PG. We sailed on the Quest in February of this year and the PG in May, so I can comment on recent experiences.

We found the food, cabin and service on the PG to be excellent. Someone previously commented that the PG is not luxurious, but a very lovely little ship. I completely agree with that and we were extremely pleased with our cruise. The PG is a perfect size for cruising around French Polynesia. My only negative comment would be that there is a lack of much shade on the deck on the PG. However, I asked for a lounge chair to be brought to my cabin and enjoyed the shade of the deck, so no problem.

I would say that we were equally pleased with each ship. We did miss a couple of the amenities of the Quest...those lovely luxurious double shaded chaise lounges and the outside dining buffet on the back of the ship in the evening....but it's a larger ship, so it makes sense that it would have a few more amenities. The Quest did feel a bit more updated, but that's understandable as it's just been refurbished. I didn't see anything on the Paul Gauguin that drastically needed refurbishing.

We had only VERY positive experiences on the Quest...none of the problems that seemed present with the early sailings.

We also stayed on Bora Bora for five days pre-sailing. We loved the Hotel Bora Bora, but it's closing on October 1 for refurbishing (actually, I hate to see it changed at all). The new Four Seasons does seem like a great choice if you decide to stay on Bora Bora.

Enjoy your trip.

murphysmum;)

The PG is wonderful for French Polynesia, and it doesn't look like Regent will be sailing it past next year. (They only lease the ship.) We have been on it for 24 nights. The first time in 2003, we did the 7-day cruise b2b, which was terrific. We preferred to stay on the ship rather than spending time at a land resort. At the time, I was confident that the food and service were hard to beat on land, and personally I think I was right. The second time we did a 10-day cruise after it was refurbished at the beginning of 2006. (I have a review of our second cruise if you would like a copy :dreps@comcast.net.)

I did see that there is an 11-day cruise to the Marquesas beginning 5/26, and I have seen attractive rates for it. (Frankly, I'd suggest a b2b instead over that for a first timer.) Silversea will be sailing it's recently acquired Prince Albert II in French Polynesia for the first time next summer, and it is very luxurious (and even more expensive). I just looked at the Regent site, and I don't think they have either joined cabins or one large enough for 4 on the PG. I'd suggest at least one cabin with a balcony, because as others mentioned, there is not a lot of shade on the ship, and it is wonderful to sit on the balcony while cruising in that area.

Even if the PG is not at its peak, I have no doubt that it will surpass Amazara or Celebrity in terms of food and service. While we haven't been on Amazara yet, we have sailed Celebrity several times in the past. After the PG, were were spoiled and stuck to Regent for most of our subsequent cruises.

Katiebeth asked about what kind of things refurbished when the PG goes to drydock. I think that I read somewhere on another thread that the PG was to go to drydock in Brisbane sometime in either January or February. Does anyone know what types of updating, replacing, etc. is rutinely done during a quick drydock? My husband and I will be on the July 29,2009 sailing. I've been reading most of the posts about the PG and they sounds wonderful, but many have mentioned that there are some small "issues" that Regent could address to "freshen up" its appearence.

Linda :-)

• 2 weeks later...

My Husband and I won our trip on the PG in Aug 2005 and it was the BEST cruise we have ever been on. We still talk reagulary of our experience and hope that someday we can go back..... You will not regret for a moment when you deceide to sail on the PG! The staff are wonderful.:)

it was getting "everything" in Brisbane. We are going in late June of 2009. I hope it is fixed a little, although I have only heard good things. Texed really travels and he wouldn't lead anyone astray. We are looking forward to the cruise and hope that it is getting updated some and that Regent is buying it. We have done Tahiti three other times on Windstar and it was wonderful. Great cruise.

We will also be on the PG 7/29/09 cruise. It will be our first on PG but second to Tahiti. Since our last cruise my husband has become an advanced scuba diver and is so excited to make this cruise. We have cruised 20+ times Oceania being the "highest end" we have taken. So we are really looking forward to this cruise, and being spoiled. Also on 8/5 my husband turns 50 (the moto day), I think that could be outstanding. Looking forward to meeting all of you, and when should we start a roll call on this cruise,

Sharon & Robert

Archived