Stock Obc Not Combinable Anymore

jmezmom

yes... why not? 2 separate transactions both of which are perfectly legal.

However, doing this will incur two brokerage fees, and you will still own the same stock... I don't see any benefit other than to offset some other capital gain. (I am not a CPA nor do I play one a cruise critic) Seriously, that makes no sense to me.

jc

But we bought the original RCI stock at $42 a share. Then we recouped over $3500 in OBC's. I figure it's almost a $22 a share loss at a 33% tax bracket = $726 write off. Need to consult our accountant.

Do not mention the OBCs if you ever have an IRS interview!:D ;) If you are lucky enough to have a capital gain in this market, by all means write it off, the brokerage fee should more than be made up by the write off. Again, I am not a CPA nor do I play one at CC, I am an economist, but we really don't focus much on specific tax code, and when we do it is always in comparison to taxes which don't distort individual behavior, the holy grail of the perfect tax system, which obviously our current tax code fails at.;)

jc

Just recieved word that my OBC for Nov 09 has been applied along with my Future Booking Credit, also recieved the following Statement.

**Please note** For new bookings made on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

In the event that two onboard credits are available on any one reservation, you may choose which onboard credit you prefer. Unless you specify otherwise, Royal Caribbean will issue the onboard credit with the higher value. This applies to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Hope this helps to clear things up.

And the wording in the confirmation letter has changed again....just got this confirmation this morning....see the highlighted word.

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #xxxxxxx, #xxxxxxx, #xxxxxxx and #xxxxxxx.

**Please note** For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

In the event that two offers or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose which onboard credit you prefer. Unless you specify otherwise, Royal Caribbean will issue the onboard credit with the higher value. This applies to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Please feel free to visit our Investor Relations website: http://www.rclinvestor.com for further details.

Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just spoke with the D+ desk today and they said :

You can have an onboard credit from booking onboard OR a stockholder onboard credit OR a C&A coupon from any source published such as the Crown And Anchor booklet...... any one of these can be used with a plat- D balcony discount and RCCL credit card onboard credit and a travel agent onboard credit. She said that the Next Cruise Certificate after 14 Oct will apply as any other booking meaning the the credit that is the largest will apply.

EXCELLENT EXPLANATION

So I guess that would mean if you are holding a Next Cruise you should go ahead and book something before October 15th if you want to get your shareholders credit.

I think you have it exactly right. The whole Next cruise thing has always confused me, because they seem to pay more with it than they take in.

If you own stock, buying a Next Cruise certificate doesn't make much sense.

jc

So I guess that would mean if you are holding a Next Cruise you should go ahead and book something before October 15th if you want to get your shareholders credit.

And be sure that's the cruise you want to take since they won't allow it to be converted to another cruise. :(

I have bought my last cruise on board. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Poor LAs.

Gina

I think you are correct. That is what I have just done with my one remaining "nextcruise".

I am not quite sure what they mean by "converted". I assume that means converting a nextcruise into an actual booking. However, what happens if I transfer a booking to a different date, is that a "converted booking"?

When I recently changed a booking to a different cruise, the new fuel surcharge applied to the revised booking.

andrew

yes... why not? 2 separate transactions both of which are perfectly legal.

However, doing this will incur two brokerage fees, and you will still own the same stock... I don't see any benefit other than to offset some other capital gain. (I am not a CPA nor do I play one a cruise critic) Seriously, that makes no sense to me.

jc

Cannot do this - I'm a CPA but I don't preparre taxes, however this is considered a wash sale and is not allowed. Buys and sells of the same issue within a certain time period cannot be used.

Thank you for posting this info.

So what combinations would be allowed if any...

Shareholder with Platinum/Diamond Discount...yes or no?

I understand that savings certificates, NC Booking or just onboard booking S/B credits are NOT with shareholder with this new 'rule'

My issue with this new rule is that there needs to be consistency. I don't want to come back here 1 year from now and have someone say " I was able to combine" If they are going to impliment it then be consistent with this rule and the others that are out there.

Example of inconsistencies... 3 people in my family booked a cruise this last month all using next Cruise bookings... 2 were before the Nov 16 fuel surcharge date...1 had no fuel surcharge added, 1 had the full $10. added and the other had only $8. per day added since she did hers when it was $8. per day.

I just hope that when and if this rule goes into effect they are consistent in enforcing it.

Emmy,

I agree with you about consistency. I bought 2 certificates when I cruised 11/11/07. I used one in Dec to book a cruise and no surcharge then. The other one I used in May to book a 5 nighter and they charged me $5/day surcharge. I had to move that booking to Dec 08 and now they raised the surcharge to $10. This is all the same booking number. A lot of cruisers are telling me that they aren't paying any surcharge because their certificates were originally bought before the surcharge went into effect. More than a few people have told me that, but when I called and asked, they said you get charged the surcharge amount that is in effect the day you book your cruise and they consider that date to be Dec since I moved it to Dec. Don't get me wrong, if they're charging a surcharge I'll pay it but I'd like it to be consistent.

The other thing people told me is they bought their certificate before they changed the amount of OBC for a 9 night cruise so they are getting $200 for a 9 or more night cruise. Well, I bought mine before they changed the rules and they only gave me $100 for a 9 nighter. Again.......no consistency!! I hate to even call them because I never know if what they're telling me is true or not.

Patty

Cannot do this - I'm a CPA but I don't preparre taxes, however this is considered a wash sale and is not allowed. Buys and sells of the same issue within a certain time period cannot be used.

Interesting, never heard of that. Thanks

jc

I sent the following in to RCCL and am waiting on a reply.

"I have been informed that shareholder OBC benefits ARE combinable with Future Cruise Certificates - but then told that the OBC for a Future Cruise, issued by the on-board Future Cruise Consultant, after the Compass urged me to make an appointment with the Future Cruise Consultant are NOT COMBINABLE. Why do you have a Future Cruise Consultant if they are not issuing Future Cruise Certificates for Cruises booked for the Future? Clarity is needed!"

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

However, what happens if I transfer a booking to a different date, is that a "converted booking"?

When I recently changed a booking to a different cruise, the new fuel surcharge applied to the revised booking.

andrew

You cannot apply an NCC to a sailing before Oct. 15th, then later change to a different sailing and still keep the combined OBCs.

Usually, with fuel surcharges, if you weren't paying them when you made the originally booking, then you change that sailing to a different one, still keeping the same booking number, then you don't pay fuel surcharges. Some reps. at RCI don't know this and some TAs don't either.

[quote name='Lady Jag']You cannot apply an NCC to a sailing before Oct. 15th, then later change to a different sailing and still keep the [B]combined[/B] OBCs.

Usually, with fuel surcharges, if you weren't paying them when you made the originally booking, then you change that sailing to a different one, still keeping the same booking number, then you don't pay fuel surcharges. Some reps. at RCI don't know this and some TAs don't either.[/QUOTE]

They obviously don't know this because my original booking (which I consider the open booking certificate as my original booking since I gave them $100 deposit) was charged a $5.00 surcharge for a cruise I had put it on but recently I had to change that cruise because of surgery issues and now they are charging me $10 surcharge. I asked about it and was told that's the way it is because I changed the sailing date. However, they had my $100 since last Nov and then had my $500 deposit since May and now I moved the date and they upped my surcharge. They are doing different things for different people - not right!!!

Patty

[quote name='beachbuddy'] They are doing different things for different people - not right!!! Patty[/QUOTE]

This is when it pays to have a TA that knows the ropes who will remind the RCI rep. of their policy. If you've kept the same booking number, you should keep the original fuel surcharges, if there were any. If there wasn't any, then you shouldn't have any at all.

I have two NCs to use, but can't book anything as we are all filled up for '09 and now have an Oasis booking in '10. Since it can't be converted, I am out of luck for those ones. Oh well, it only represents $100, as I have the stock in my name, and one of the NCs is in DH's name.

Hello - I came into this discussion very late and wondered if all you experienced cruisers could tell me if I am at all understanding what is going on this OBCs:

Am I understanding correctly that AFTER Oct. 15 08, you cannot combine TAs/other OBC offers along with stock holder OBCs; that in fact you must choose between the best offering? i.e. My TA offers an OBC of $150 for a 10 day cruise and I am a stockholder that is entitled (? wrong word?) to a $200 OBC. I must choose between one or the other but not both?

For cruises booked BEFORE Oct 15 08, am I able to combine my TA OBC AND the stock holder OBC?

Also, what are pre-paid gratuities by a TA considered to be, and will they too be forfeited after Oct 15 08? Must I select my stock holder $200 credit OR the TA gratuity offering?

Your kindness to replying is appreciated. The faltering economy has everyone on edge with the media adding fuel to the fire.

Thank you all!

[quote name='lovely12no']Hello - I came into this discussion very late and wondered if all you experienced cruisers could tell me if I am at all understanding what is going on this OBCs:

Am I understanding correctly that AFTER Oct. 15 08, you cannot combine TAs/other OBC offers along with stock holder OBCs; that in fact you must choose between the best offering? i.e. My TA offers an OBC of $150 for a 10 day cruise and I am a stockholder that is entitled (? wrong word?) to a $200 OBC. I must choose between one or the other but not both?
[/quote]

My understanding is that you can still receive OBC from TA's after October 15th in addition to the Shareholder OBC.

[quote name='lovely12no']Hello - I came into this discussion very late and wondered if all you experienced cruisers could tell me if I am at all understanding what is going on this OBCs:

For cruises booked BEFORE Oct 15 08, am I able to combine my TA OBC AND the stock holder OBC?

Also, what are pre-paid gratuities by a TA considered to be, and will they too be forfeited after Oct 15 08? Must I select my stock holder $200 credit OR the TA gratuity offering?

Your kindness to replying is appreciated. The faltering economy has everyone on edge with the media adding fuel to the fire.

Thank you all![/quote]Like everything RCI subject to future change, but seems that Travel Agent OBCs, RCI Credit Card OBCs and Future Cruise Credits [read compensation for a problem on an earlier cruise] ARE ALL combinable with ONE and ONLY ONE of the following:
Shareholder OBC
On-Board Booking OBC
Next Cruise Certificate OBC
C&A coupon

Effective ON 15 Oct [ie 15 Oct is too late to use existing program]

[quote name='tocanada']I think you are correct. That is what I have just done with my one remaining "nextcruise".
I am not quite sure what they mean by "converted". I assume that means converting a nextcruise into an actual booking. However, what happens if I transfer a booking to a different date, is that a "converted booking"?
andrew[/quote]

[quote name='Lady Jag']This is when it pays to have a TA that knows the ropes who will remind the RCI rep. of their policy. If you've kept the same booking number, you should keep the original fuel surcharges, if there were any. If there wasn't any, then you shouldn't have any at all.[/quote]

I talked to a C&A rep today & asked her to define converted. It is when you actually attach a ship & sailing date to a Next Cruise Cert. I asked if I booked a NCC before the 15th & then changed it in the future, but still keeping the same confirmation number if I could still keep the OBC. she said NO, that it was the same as fuel surcharge--it is considered a change to the reservation asnd the new rules would apply, SOOOOO since the rest of 2010 is nt out yet, we are only going to book 1 of our 3 NC before the 15th. $UCK$ doesn't it

ChevyCruiser---great e-mail, can't wait to see what answer you get!!!

Archived