Carnival to eliminate fuel charge under certain conditions.

Hypo

Desperate attempt by Carnival to "look good" with such a down market. The way the market is right now, oil could be at $40 for a month and then in one day spike to $80 and then the next day return to $40 and Carnival would not have to waive the fee.

I think that is a little harsh. Carnival Corp. stated when they first began the fuel surcharge that if oil dropped below $70 for 30 straight days that they would rescind the fuel surcharge. Now that oil is at the point where this might actually occur sometime in the not too distant future they are simply providing details. I applaud them for this.

I think that if Carnival actually reduced or eliminated the surcharge RCI and the other lines would have to follow suit, but even a brief look at the terms and conditions that Carnival has set out, makes it fairly obvious that they have set a pretty high bar that has to me met before they need take any action. Even in this economic downturn I wouldn't be spending that surcharge refund too soon.:rolleyes: I suppose the good news is that at least they have raised the subject but in the final analysis it will depend on what they do that will make the difference.:) It should be remembered that it took Carnival quite a while to capitulate to the Florida AG and follow the lead of the other cruiselines in cancelling the surcharge for those who were booked prior to the effective date of the original surcharge. It would be nice to see them in the forefront on this issue for a change. :)

I think that if Carnival actually reduced or eliminated the surcharge RCI and the other lines would have to follow suit, but even a brief look at the terms and conditions that Carnival has set out, makes it fairly obvious that they have set a pretty high bar that has to me met before they need take any action. :)

Starting Oct 31st, 08, Carnival is eliminating all add on fuel surcharges for 2010 bookings.

I personally hope RCL follows suit. Im paying $10 for my Voyager booking this next april. Might be a chance it could go away if RCL follows suit, or at least for 2010, it will be added into the fare, so the fare will again be what you see and easier to compare.

Carnival can play with #'s all day long to appease the consumers, but in the end, you will still be paying for the fuel supplement, it just won't be visible or seperated out, instead, added to the cruise fare which is what everyone wanted to begin with ! Look for other cruiselines to follow this approach soon. :rolleyes:

What I want to know is why is gasoline still running around $3.80 for a gallon of regular unleaded in Chicago?!? :confused:

Doesn't make sense to me. :mad:

Your right, doesn't make sense! I am from Orange County Cal. and I just paid about an hour ago, $3.38 for regular unleaded. Hmmm......

because when you see the price of oil...that is the futures price....ie, now you are seeing the pricing for late November deliveries.

We get clobbered when it goes up immediately, but not when it go down.

Go figure....

Want it down more??

Drill here, Drill Now!!!!

What I want to know is why is gasoline still running around $3.80 for a gallon of regular unleaded in Chicago?!? :confused:

It's under $3.00 a gallon here in NJ. It's safe to say the difference in price is the gas taxes being much higher in Illinois verses NJ.

It's under $3.00 a gallon here in NJ. It's safe to say the difference in price is the gas taxes being much higher in Illinois verses NJ.

I think that's a good part of it (Chicago is home to 10.25% sales tax).

I also think that for whatever reason gas stations in Chicago are reudcing their prices more gradually than most other places in the U.S. I am not sure if there is a valid reason for this or not.

Some areas place demands on refineries for "special" gas which increases the cost to the consumer at all times. Is Chicago one of these "needy" cities? Not to mention it costs more to transport fuel to distant parts of the country. You could be getting a double whammy.

Gina

At that same time, a price increase on 2010 sailings will become effective

Its all semantics......

When has anyone paid the list price on a cruise? When has a surcharge ever been discounted?

Even if Carnival never eliminated the surcharge, it is still less than what the RCCL bandidos charge.

Carnival can play with #'s all day long to appease the consumers, but in the end, you will still be paying for the fuel supplement, it just won't be visible or seperated out, instead, added to the cruise fare which is what everyone wanted to begin with ! Look for other cruiselines to follow this approach soon. :rolleyes:

Carnival will get you with the surcharge or raise the price as they have stated. As you posted, they will get their money one way or the other. Not a surprise here.

It takes time for the prices to reflect the drop in oil. The price your paying at the pump today is for the oil price of last month or earlier.

Carnival will get you with the surcharge or raise the price as they have stated. As you posted, they will get their money one way or the other. Not a surprise here.

Raising prices in this economy might not be so easy. Now we will have the old all inclusive, except for taxes price showing.

I personally hope RCL follows suit. I dont get why no one seems to care if RCL eliminates the fuel surcharge?? Im paying $10 my next RCL cruise, so Im hoping RCL follows suit. It will be harder to tack and extra $70 onto my fare without me noticing.

RCL I for one hope to hear from you too what you are putting in place to eliminate or reduce fuel surcharges.

It takes time for the prices to reflect the drop in oil. The price your paying at the pump today is for the oil price of last month or earlier.

I know that, what I am confused about is why it is coming down so much more slowly in Chicago than most other places in the U.S. From what people have said higher taxes are partially to blame as well as Chicago being far away from the U.S. supplies and possibly having stricter refining standards.

Well, Chicago is a big city with lots of gas stations. Therefore lots of competition. I live in a much smaller city and our gas is $2.75 a gallon.

Here is a shocking answer for you. You have high taxes on fuel!:D

jc

Archived