New U.S. Immigrations Procedures?

BEAV

Yesterday we disembarked from NCL in San Francisco. We sailed a cruise round trip from SF to the Mexican Riviera. All of our port stops were in Mexico -- none in the U.S. (such as Catalina, San Diego, etc), so San Francisco was our first port of entry back into the U.S. To my surprise, U.S. citizens did not meet with any Immigration officers whatsoever. We turned in our customs declaration forms aboard the ship, NCL swiped our key cards as we disembarked and that was it. None of the usual "visual" inspection (flash your passports, etc) by INS to U.S. citizens. INS was definitely on property, though, as non-U.S. citizens were required to be interviewed/inspected.

After 35+ cruises, this was a first for me. Has the policy been changed for U.S. citizens or was yesterday an exception to the rule?

I guess TSA felt they had screened passengers before the boarded and that was enough??

I had the same thought, but it's only a guess on my part. We've all been supplying passport numbers electronically via the guest registration program for quite a few years now, but were still subject to INS/TSA inspections upon arrival back into the U.S. Until yesterday in San Francisco, that is!

Anyone who's sailed from other U.S. ports experienced this?

We have sailed from other US Ports in recent months -- Tampa, Seattle, Ft Lauderdale and San Diego -- had to go through immigration as we left the ships in all those ports!!

Then maybe San Francisco has seceded from the United States? :eek: :D :eek:

Perhaps it's hit or miss. We sailed round trip from San Diego in Oct 07 visiting only Mexican ports. We turned in a customs declaration form after picking up our luggage and that was it. There were immigration people in the terminal, but no passport or ID check for U.S. citizens. That said, in Los Angeles and Ft Lauderdale we have always been checked.

On my last cruise out of Seattle, immigration consisted of walking swiftly past the immigration officer with our passport open to the picture page. We didn't even have to slow down walking past. This was for US citizens only. They had a table to the side with 3 officers sitting there and they were doing a much more thorough check of non-US citizens.

On my last three, it consisted of handing the declaration form and no other ID. It was simply walk by and hand the form. The only time they were a bit of a pain was when we were stopping in St. Thomas VI. Primary reason for the delay there was the ignorance of people not to understand to follow instructions. Not real hard to open your passport to picture page for the officer......

I'm speculating but as all the lists are submitted, everything is checked pretty thoroughly even before we think about getting off the ship.

Sorry, old habits die hard. Help us out here.....what's their official title now? I know "border protection" is part of it......

They combined both Immigration and Customs enforcement and they are now called CBP (Customs and Border Protection). www.cbp.gov

There are other Agencies within CBP that work at the ports of entries. I am not sure which ones. For sure agriculture inspections (not sure of the proper title).

Archived