Concierge Service - enforced restrictions

We never read the coupons very closely. DH would love a Jack and Coke for free or on the rocks and buy his own coke - foofoo glass or not. But Oh No unless something really gets us to book a last minute cruise (the Dm stock market) - we are not scheduled until Apr 09 on the Mariner. I hope this is still available then.

Do you think I could order a Ketel One Martini for free? Its a big glass for a martini but for free I would make do.

The coupons in the diamond book are for any drink. Just tell em what you want.

The coupons in the diamond book are for any drink. Just tell em what you want.

On our 9/27 cruise in the pub on the Liberty promenade, the bartender refused to take our free drink coupon for a draft beer; he said the coupons were for free cocktails and they did not include beer. We were on our second leg of a b2b. Odd. On our previous week we got a draft beer in the same pub using that week's free coupon. At this time, we simply walked to to the Schooner and were served a draft beer with the same coupon. I made note of it in our survey but wondered if anyone else experienced this same treatment with the free drink coupon in the diamond/+ book.

At the time, I have to admit we were perturbed, but he was right, it did not state beer on the coupon.

This will be our first Diamond cruise on Voyager next week. We are with other couples who are not diamond. We plan on going to the CL on our own. I wouldn't even think that our friends are entitled to join us, nor would I ask the Concierge to make an exception! I hope that the Concierge plays by the rules or it may affect his tip!

As a couple on the "other side" of this (that is not entitled to use the CL or DL), we applaud you. First, there is no reason on earth why you should not enjoy the perk you are entitled to have. Second, no true friends would resent it or pout over it or try to make you feel bad or want you to "sneak" them in (or even ask the concierge to break the rules for them). Third, having a break from traveling companions, no matter how much you enjoy being together, is a must IMO.

I will admit to being the tiniest bit envious about it, but that's not a "You shouldn't have it or enjoy it if I can't have it too." That's a "Boy, I wish we could afford it or were entitled to it too, but we're not (yet). Hope they have a nice time."

beachchick

I hope not!! I heard that there is over 300 Diamond/D+ members on the Mariner. I have Clients doing B2B and said that they are opening the Dragon's Lair for the overflow!!

Now that would be cool!! :)

We were on Mariner three weeks ago and the overflow was in Dragon's Lair. Hated it, as did everyone else we talked to. Went there one night only. It is dark, (even though they said they turned the lights up), no windows, (unlike the other possible venues), we had to enter on fourth floor and walk down steps to third floor (third floor door locked) so many Diamond/Suite pax couldn't even use it if they wanted too. Just a lousy atmosphere for socializing.

As a couple on the "other side" of this (that is not entitled to use the CL or DL), we applaud you. First, there is no reason on earth why you should not enjoy the perk you are entitled to have. Second, no true friends would resent it or pout over it or try to make you feel bad or want you to "sneak" them in (or even ask the concierge to break the rules for them). Third, having a break from traveling companions, no matter how much you enjoy being together, is a must IMO.

I will admit to being the tiniest bit envious about it, but that's not a "You shouldn't have it or enjoy it if I can't have it too." That's a "Boy, I wish we could afford it or were entitled to it too, but we're not (yet). Hope they have a nice time."

beachchick

You are completely right on when it comes to traveling with others. you need your own space at times. There really is no need to be envious, as you really are not missing a lot IMO, mainly as far as cocktail hour goes. We have been D on our last 3 cruises. Our first one after becoming D the CL was ok, we met some nice people, and had some good cocktail hour times. The second one was just nothing, a bunch of stuffy people into themselves. After the second day, we didn't go until the last night, and kind of to give the Concierge something, as she was very nice, and treated us well when in there. Our last cruise we met some folks , who from the first day, when we talked with them, the conversation always led to how bad RC is and how bad we are being taken, etc., kind of like here on CC at times. It seemed that each time we went in there for a cocktail before dinner, there they were, and we were the magnet. By the 4th day we would open the door, and if they were there, we left. Turns out they had the table right next to us at dinner, too, but this was one time I was glad to have a table for 4 with only our friends. It is a nice perk, but I wonder how many really take full advantage. One nice thing is having the concierge to help with excursions, or any thing you may really want while on the ship. It is nice having the ice show tickets right there on the first day, and they are there all week, and for every show if you wish. The morning coffee and food is great too.

pumkinsmom: That's true too. We've never felt the CL was such a big deal that we care overly much about it. Yes, it's a nice perk and yes, we will be happy someday (down the road for sure) when we are C&A D. Until then, as long as we have our balcony cabin (cat D1 please), we consider ourselves happy and fortunate.

beachchick

I think the CL is great and agree that you need to be carefull with whom you chum up to in there if you plan on going frequently. Last MOS cruise there two separate groups that wanted to turn the conversation into what's wrong with the cruise. I was hopeing that they would combine forces and comiserate together and leave others alone. Never happened found out that they knew each other and were mad over some transgression done on the 1st night. The CL is a great rendezvous location and it's nice for the drinks, especially beer.

Last MOS cruise there two separate groups that wanted to turn the conversation into what's wrong with the cruise. I was hopeing that they would combine forces and comiserate together and leave others alone.

Likewise the dinner table. We were seated with complainers not too long ago and had to ask for a table change which required going from main to late dining. No way we were going to let them spoil our vacation.

Harder to do in the CL if there is no overflow lounge. On the MOTS last year, a large group was loud and obnoxious in the CL the first two nights so we were able to go the the overflow lounge the rest of the cruise to escape them. Found out later the consierge had to kick them out on the third night.

Mostly we meet wonderful people in the CL and have a great time making new friends. However, I can never forget once being told " every cruise has one or two Jerry Springer kind of people on it and if you look around the ship all week and don't see them, then maybe they are you".

Thank you for letting me complain about complainers.

On our Jewel Transatlantic last month, there were approximately 700 Diamond and Diamond plus members onboard and they had to use both the Hollywood Odyssey and the Vortex in the evening for cocktails. Imagine if even one half of those 700 chose to bring one friend with them. Access to the CL is a perk that has been earned by loyalty to RCI. It would be a shame to abuse it and cause them to discontinue it, and if you only have to know a Diamond member to gain access to the lounge where is the incentive to accrue enough cruise credits to be able to access it legitimately?

totally agree -- well written as usual, Bill.

Just off the NOTS..........CL was always packed at night, but few in the a.m...Javier Ortiz.....was great, he did allow us to take drinks out because of the over crowding...6 D+ 89 D and 34 suites made about 200..only seating for about 40 in existing chairs/couches and about 20 stackables.

We were on Mariner three weeks ago and the overflow was in Dragon's Lair. Hated it, as did everyone else we talked to. Went there one night only. It is dark, (even though they said they turned the lights up), no windows, (unlike the other possible venues), we had to enter on fourth floor and walk down steps to third floor (third floor door locked) so many Diamond/Suite pax couldn't even use it if they wanted too. Just a lousy atmosphere for socializing.

:eek: Oh you poor thing! What a horrid place for for the overflow lounge. That place positively reeks of smoke, too, as well as being dark and dreary. No way would I even bother.

On our 9/27 cruise in the pub on the Liberty promenade, the bartender refused to take our free drink coupon for a draft beer; he said the coupons were for free cocktails and they did not include beer. We were on our second leg of a b2b. Odd. On our previous week we got a draft beer in the same pub using that week's free coupon. At this time, we simply walked to to the Schooner and were served a draft beer with the same coupon. I made note of it in our survey but wondered if anyone else experienced this same treatment with the free drink coupon in the diamond/+ book.

At the time, I have to admit we were perturbed, but he was right, it did not state beer on the coupon.

We had the same experience a few weeks ago on the Navigator in the Dining Room. We tried to use the coupon for a wine........the asst. waiter took it but returned saying it was not allowed, we had the head waiter come over for a clarification and he said it was not allowed......they were rude about the usage of it. We went to the show and they took it for wine, no questions asked. We received a call from the head bar manager and he said it should have been accepted.

We had the same experience a few weeks ago on the Navigator in the Dining Room. We tried to use the coupon for a wine........the asst. waiter took it but returned saying it was not allowed, we had the head waiter come over for a clarification and he said it was not allowed......they were rude about the usage of it. We went to the show and they took it for wine, no questions asked. We received a call from the head bar manager and he said it should have been accepted.

It's nice he took the time to respond to you about the coupon. I thought of making a fuss but made a comment on the survey card instead. Next time, I'll try the beverage manager. ;) Still, the servers/bar tenders must be getting this instruction from somewhere. If they keep this up, I'll just stop getting my free drink.....:p :D ;)

I personally think that this "perk" should be enforced. If EVERYONE brought cabin mates & family members, the CL would be even more overcrowded than it already is! I don't ask to bring extra guests....I consider it something that I earned & they didn't!

Just another example of some people ruining it for the rest of us!:mad:

Well said, you've hit the nail on the head with your comments.;)

Two Comments

** Jewel of the Seas last week - the Concierge didnt get approval for Diamond members access until an hour before sailing .

** Bartender was rude when we cashed in our free drinks.

Congratulations on your first post on Cruise Critic. :)

It's nice he took the time to respond to you about the coupon. I thought of making a fuss but made a comment on the survey card instead. Next time, I'll try the beverage manager. ;) Still, the servers/bar tenders must be getting this instruction from somewhere. If they keep this up, I'll just stop getting my free drink.....:p :D ;)

You realize that if you do that, the terrorists will have won. ;)

No sympathy here! If your not a Diamond/Diamond Plus or paid for a suite too bad! I have cruised with a lot of friends and never tried to sneak them in. All these issues come up because someone is always trying to do something they know is not right. In fact I think they should spot check all guests that are in the concierge, many times I have gone to an overcrowded concierge and have seen guests that I know don’t have access but a friend brought them in there leaving no room for me. I remember back in the day before I earned access traveling with friends who were Diamond and I couldn’t go in, rules are there for a reason. Everyone has the same opportunity to earn or pay for a suite to access the concierge lounge and that’s the way in should remain.

We agree! We just returned from the Voyager of the Seas 10/18 cruise. The CL was overgrowded and several people were knocking on the door and gaining entrance or waiting for others to use cards and piggybacking on their entry. The concierge was not enforcing card entry.The issue was overcrowding and no places to sit, let alone get a drink or a "nibble". There was one large group of pxs who continually abused the system. One of the reasons for booking a suite is to have the availability of the CL lounge. We did leave a comment and suggesting that card entry should be enforced. It was very obvious that this was not happening on our trip.:(

Archived