Royal Caribbean vs. Princess for solos

ommboz

Hi. I was wondering what anyone thought of going solo on Royal Caribbean vs. a Princess cruise? Any plusses and/or minuses for either line as a solo? Thanks.:)

I have sailed Royal and loved it. But they did not do anything to help me, as a solo, and I did not expect them to. Carnival makes an effort to seat solos with other solos for the main dinner dining.

I have not sailed Princess. I think Princess tends to have an older average age than Royal, from what I've read. I don't know if that matters to you.

Royal has great ships, but it's not known for solos; especially since it's harder to get a good price for solo on RCI, than on Carnival for instance. But Royal is a much better product than Carnival (in my opinion). I'm sailing solo Dec. 13th out of San Juan on RCI.

Personally, my most important considerations for choosing a cruise are not about the sailing solo dynamics, but rather the itinerary, the price, the ship's amenities and layout, and whether or not it has traditional dining (my preference).

I have sailed Royal and loved it. But they did not do anything to help me, as a solo, and I did not expect them to. Carnival makes an effort to seat solos with other solos for the main dinner dining.

I have not sailed Princess. I think Princess tends to have an older average age than Royal, from what I've read. I don't know if that matters to you.

Royal has great ships, but it's not known for solos; especially since it's harder to get a good price for solo on RCI, than on Carnival for instance. But Royal is a much better product than Carnival (in my opinion). I'm sailing solo Dec. 13th out of San Juan on RCI.

Personally, my most important considerations for choosing a cruise are not about the sailing solo dynamics, but rather the itinerary, the price, the ship's amenities and layout, and whether or not it has traditional dining (my preference).

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just thinking about cost for me as a solo, and whether the ship is "solo" friendly, and which ship won't make me feel uncomfortable as a solo. I have liked Royal Caribbean, and was considering a solo cruise on Princess to try them out.

Unless you can snag some sort of special pricing, RCI pretty much charges double for solos, wheras you can generally get an inside or outside cabin for about 150% on Princess. Also, RCI's cabins are TINY.

Roz

I've been on over 20 cruises and have had some cruises where I had cabins to myself, but in one week I will be going on my first SOLO cruise on Princess. I prefer Princess over RCI which is mainly why I chose Princess. I did get my cruise at about 135% of single occupancy which seemed like a pretty good deal to me. I've always wanted to try a solo cruise someday and I couldn't find a cruise buddy to go, so this is it. I hope all goes well. I'm not a person who likes to eat in the dining room much, so I'm probably going to do the buffet most nights. I'm mainly going to relax, so I think I'll do well.

Thanks for the replies. I have found (mostly) that RCI does charge 175% to 200% for traveling solo. I have found a couple of good deals on Princess for solos, so I think I may give it a try. I do like the activities on RCI, but many people have spoken highly of Princess, so I think it's worth a try as a solo...

Thanks for the replies. I have found (mostly) that RCI does charge 175% to 200% for traveling solo. I have found a couple of good deals on Princess for solos, so I think I may give it a try. I do like the activities on RCI, but many people have spoken highly of Princess, so I think it's worth a try as a solo...

I haven't been on RCCL, but I liked my Princess cruise last year. Will be doing Princess again next month. Was more sophisticated than Carnival, although I had fun on Carnival. I doubt if I could have a bad time on a cruise!! :D

Problem with RCCL and Princess for solos is that they don't have decent single supplements. I've checked them both and haven't found anything below 200%. HAL always has about 143% on their Oceanview cabins and a bit better on insides; 200% on balconies and above. Carnival gave me 135% on my 1A with the 2 big windows and a sofa! Not bad. Keep checking - especially on any last minute deals.

thanks for the replies. I have found that single supplement on both is close to 200%. I have found some better deals with Carnival, but haven't checked with HAL yet, so I may do that. Thanks again.

Have sailed on both although only Princess as a solo. Loved RCI! Princess was another story. I was treated horribly as a solo from almost the moment I boarded. The attitiude by the staff was very much a "oh it's just one of you". The dining room experience was by far the worst. Depite repeated requests to the Maitre D to not seat me in front of the service area slop bucket, that was the only table I got 6 out of 7 nights. The complete lack of a response/action on issues while on the ship and afterward was appalling. It was the worst trip I have ever been on. Letters afterward resulted in basically a form letter and one to the CEO finally netted a very piddly future cruise credit. Like I would subject myself to being treated like that again.

Have sailed on both although only Princess as a solo. Loved RCI! Princess was another story. I was treated horribly as a solo from almost the moment I boarded. The attitiude by the staff was very much a "oh it's just one of you". The dining room experience was by far the worst. Depite repeated requests to the Maitre D to not seat me in front of the service area slop bucket, that was the only table I got 6 out of 7 nights. The complete lack of a response/action on issues while on the ship and afterward was appalling. It was the worst trip I have ever been on. Letters afterward resulted in basically a form letter and one to the CEO finally netted a very piddly future cruise credit. Like I would subject myself to being treated like that again.[/quote

Thanks for the info on your cruises. I have nevered sailed Princess, and was thinking about it for solo, but I am now leaning toward Royal Caribbean or maybe Celebrity. I am just looking for a good experience as a solo, and am trying to find the best line where I won't be treated differently for being by myself.

Have sailed on both although only Princess as a solo. Loved RCI! Princess was another story. I was treated horribly as a solo from almost the moment I boarded. The attitiude by the staff was very much a "oh it's just one of you". The dining room experience was by far the worst. Depite repeated requests to the Maitre D to not seat me in front of the service area slop bucket, that was the only table I got 6 out of 7 nights. The complete lack of a response/action on issues while on the ship and afterward was appalling. It was the worst trip I have ever been on. Letters afterward resulted in basically a form letter and one to the CEO finally netted a very piddly future cruise credit. Like I would subject myself to being treated like that again.[/quote

Thanks for the info on your cruises. I have nevered sailed Princess, and was thinking about it for solo, but I am now leaning toward Royal Caribbean or maybe Celebrity. I am just looking for a good experience as a solo, and am trying to find the best line where I won't be treated differently for being by myself.

Hello fellow Solo!!

I have cruised solo with RCI, no problem. Am cruising for the first time with Princess 5/24/09 out of NY, can not wait. I think much of the fun you have or do not have is attitude. I will let you know after my 5/24/09 cruise with Princess!!!

Feel free to email me with any questions:o:): mem775416@aol.com

Enjoy yourself!!!

NewJersey222

Marie

Hello fellow Solo!!

I have cruised solo with RCI, no problem. Am cruising for the first time with Princess 5/24/09 out of NY, can not wait. I think much of the fun you have or do not have is attitude. I will let you know after my 5/24/09 cruise with Princess!!!

Feel free to email me with any questions:o:): mem775416@aol.com

Enjoy yourself!!!

NewJersey222

Marie

Thanks! Let me know what you think about going solo on your Princess cruise! As I said, I've really enjoyed RCI too but was considering another line to give them a try. Just want to make sure I'm treated OK as a solo!

Thanks! Let me know what you think about going solo on your Princess cruise! As I said, I've really enjoyed RCI too but was considering another line to give them a try. Just want to make sure I'm treated OK as a solo!

I recently returned from a solo cruise on Island Princess through the Panama Canal. Because I booked this rather last minute, I had open seating. I was never treated badly because I was traveling solo. I had a great time and made two new friends while on board.

Unless you can snag some sort of special pricing, RCI pretty much charges double for solos, wheras you can generally get an inside or outside cabin for about 150% on Princess. Also, RCI's cabins are TINY.

Roz

I have to disagree with both these assertions.

I find lots of good prices on RCI whenever I search their site (there are always fares for much less than 200%).

Also, I've sailed RCI, Celebrity, NCL, and Carnival and the cabins have all been about the same size (NCL was the smallest, but still fine, especially for a solo).

What cabin on RCI did you have that was TINY?? One of their old ships?

I don't think I've ever been treated poorly because I was a solo (which has been all my cruises).

I like Princess at least what I experienced on the one cruise I've sailed with that line. However, I didn't go solo. The one thing that keeps me away from Princess as a solo is that there isn't any guarantee that I would get traditional dining. I've sailed Royal Caribbean solo. It was okay. I definitely like the ships and the cruiseline itself but it seemed with my experience anyway, that the other passengers aren't receptive to solo cruisers, especially in the dining room. One of the reasons I've stuck with Carnival is that at least Carnival will try to seat you with other passengers in the dining room.

I like Princess at least what I experienced on the one cruise I've sailed with that line. However, I didn't go solo. The one thing that keeps me away from Princess as a solo is that there isn't any guarantee that I would get traditional dining. I've sailed Royal Caribbean solo. It was okay. I definitely like the ships and the cruiseline itself but it seemed with my experience anyway, that the other passengers aren't receptive to solo cruisers, especially in the dining room. One of the reasons I've stuck with Carnival is that at least Carnival will try to seat you with other passengers in the dining room.

Thanks for the feedback! I have cruised solo on Royal Caribbean and have enjoyed it without a problem. I've also cruised solo on Carnival and felt very comfortable as a solo. I was wanting to try a different line, and many people suggested Princess line, so that's why I'm asking about solo on Princess. I've also heard some good prices on Holland America as a solo, so I may look into that also! I don't want to get into the luxury lines (yet), so I'm trying to stick to some of the mainstream lines!

If anyone else has some experiences as a solo on the other lines, feel free to share your experiences!!! Thanks. Happy Cruising!

I just completed my second solo cruise on HAL's Eurodam. It was a lovely trip on a beautiful new ship. I truly believe that attitude and expectations make up 99% of how much you enjoy your trip. The crew and passengers were all delightful and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. If you're friendly and have a smile on your face, you will surely meet and talk to people who treat you the same.

I took my first solo cruise on NCL in April. However, I kept to myself most of the time because that was where I was at that time. Personal problems were a constant nag and I simply wasn't my usual jovial self. However, the cruise was very freeing and relaxing for me... just what I needed at the time.

HAL had a much older clientele than NCL, but I expected that. Truthfully, I enjoyed the refined atmosphere on HAL more than the super casual NCL crowd. Older folks have just had more years to practice the art of partying. :)

Your cruise is your own and should be chosen based on your own needs and desires. Go and enjoy no matter what line you choose... you won't regret it!

Diane

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that I keep hearing regarding single dining is that traditional is probably the best. However, now that there are so many alternative dining options, it seems that the traditional dining tables are often not fully occupied. As a single, I would rather have anytime dining than sit at a half empty table for the whole cruise. I usually sail on Princess and the only question asked is how many and will you share a table. If you agree to share it is first come first served until the table is full.

I will be going on my first solo cruise in Feburary. It is a b2b and my friend will be with me on the first leg and I will be solo on the second. I am really looking forward to it.

Just got back from the Caribbean Princess. I had traditional late dining and was assigned a table for eight. There were 2 couples and four single ladies at the table. We had a delighful time, and even ended up passing around shared desserts towards the end of the week.

I also ate in the dining room for breakfast and lunch and was always seated at a large table with others, as I requested. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Seems that those who prefer to sit without strangers, simply ask for a smaller table.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've sailed three times solo on RCL - I do ask for a large table - and have always been treated well - although on my next to last cruise , even though I had asked for a large table I was seated at a table for 4 with another single lady and a couple. The couple were a lot of fun - the other single lady disappeared after one night :p - and I stayed -- they were pleasant dinner companions...

but on my next RCL cruise, solo again, when I saw that they had placed me at a table for four again - I went to the maitre'd and requested a large table - they did place me at a table of all ladies traveling solo - and we did have lively dinners ! As a matter of fact, that evening the head waiter asked if everything was alright and would I like to change to yet another table.

So, I can't complain about solo treatment on RCL except to say that the 200% supplement is pretty heavy - of course now that the ships are sailing way below full, and there are heavy reductions in price - I can take two cruises p/year instead of one annual !

Haven't tried Princess or any of those mentioned that charge lower supplement , but you all have got me interested in checking those cruiselines out.

I've sailed three times solo on RCL - I do ask for a large table - and have always been treated well - although on my next to last cruise , even though I had asked for a large table I was seated at a table for 4 with another single lady and a couple. The couple were a lot of fun - the other single lady disappeared after one night :p - and I stayed -- they were pleasant dinner companions...

but on my next RCL cruise, solo again, when I saw that they had placed me at a table for four again - I went to the maitre'd and requested a large table - they did place me at a table of all ladies traveling solo - and we did have lively dinners ! As a matter of fact, that evening the head waiter asked if everything was alright and would I like to change to yet another table.

So, I can't complain about solo treatment on RCL except to say that the 200% supplement is pretty heavy - of course now that the ships are sailing way below full, and there are heavy reductions in price - I can take two cruises p/year instead of one annual !

Haven't tried Princess or any of those mentioned that charge lower supplement , but you all have got me interested in checking those cruiselines out.

Hello Mahya,

I have taken 10 cruises with RCL, however am trying Princess in May '09 out of Brooklyn, NY mainly because of the Itinerary and time of year price. Also a fellow worker has cruised with Princess and has had good experiences. I generally cruise 2 times a year. RCl has a good price on a Canada/New England cruise Sept. '09 which I will also be on. I would suggest to check it out. I have been on Explorer of the Seas twice, and Sept. '09 will be my third time on this ship. I live in NJ, next to Phila. and do not have airfare on these cruises as I take the train. Airfare has gone bonkers!!!! I have seen the price double in the past year!!!

Regards,

Good Luck,

NewJersey222:):o

Marie

mem775416@aol.com

Thanks Marie in New Jersey.

Do you know what Princess's single supplement charge is?

Although I'm a Diamond on RCL and shareholder. they recently have decided to not let you take both discounts !*(^()&)_&)_%)^ Bad Marketing decisions - which frees loyal RCL'ers to begin looking at other cruiselines,

Thanks Marie in New Jersey.

Do you know what Princess's single supplement charge is?

Although I'm a Diamond on RCL and shareholder. they recently have decided to not let you take both discounts !*(^()&)_&)_%)^ Bad Marketing decisions - which frees loyal RCL'ers to begin looking at other cruiselines,

Mahya,

I do not know specifically what Princess' single supplement is. I am paying a little less than 200% on my May 24, 2009 cruise. When I decide to do a particular cruise, I know what I am willing to pay along with the Itinerary, and that being the case, I go!!

I agree with what you say in regards to RCL, I have decided on May 24, 2009 with Princess for 3 reasons: 1. Price 2. Itinerary 3. Date (I wanted to go no later than May and in May RCL, Explorer of the Seas was too much $$). And I have always cruised with RCL except my first cruise which was Celebrity (same difference). I pretty much can not take advantage of the RCL coupons anymore unless I go to Europe, or another Itinerary that I am not interested in. I started to look into other cruiselines locally, New York, and Cape Liberty, NJ (RCL: Explorer of the Seas) because of airfares. I figured why pay so much for air when I can add a few more days, pay less and no air.

I am also going 9/17/09, Cape Liberty, NJ, with RCL Explorer of the Seas which is a great ship!!

I cruise twice a year.

Let me know if you have anymore questions,

Regards,

NewJersey222:):(

Marie

mem775416@aol.com

>>Do you know what Princess's single supplement charge is?

Not to butt in, but I think the supplement varies. However, I've booked 2 with Princess, both on the Crown and paid approx 150% on each. Next one just one week from tomorrow! The other was this past October.

Archived