Little Things to Help the Stewards......

sail7seas

I too tidy up. Question: What do you do with the towel animals? Last cruise our room steward never took them away so by the end of the week we had a zoo!!! I love them but the cabins really aren't big enought to house all the critters.

I agree that they can take up a good bit of space. We generally partially disassemble the towel animals and leave the towels neatly near the laundry bag on the floor ... the cabin steward has always taken them away when we do that...

I too tidy up. Question: What do you do with the towel animals? Last cruise our room steward never took them away so by the end of the week we had a zoo!!! I love them but the cabins really aren't big enought to house all the critters.

On some ships the our towel animals were always cleaned up the next morning -- on others -- we had quite a collection -- especially on our 23 day cruise.

Fortunately we book Delux suites and there is an area where I can put a lot of them.

But even after while in the larger cabin it can become a zoo.

So I just take apart the ones I am tired of and fold the towels so that our cabin steward knows to take that pile away.

We do the same - nothing left out - never leave things in the bathroom, we take containers for toiletries and store them in the closets when not needed.

I dust if the steward doesn't - and some have not - found dust bunnies behind the pop cans one time.

We feel that it is just good manners to pick up after ourselves and make things easier for the stewards.

Please though - don't suggest clean towels every three days or rooms done every other day - that might lead to loss of jobs as they will think they can make do with half the number of room stewards :rolleyes:

I'm fine with being waited on hand and foot, but I always put my things away. "A place for everything, and everything in it's place" is a way of life for me. Helping out the cabin steward is just a fringe benefit, I guess.

I want to be able to find my things without looking for them. I don't want to trip over my shoes, or have something go flying if the ship should take a bad wave. So, it all gets put away---that's for my benefit.

Besides, a neat cabin just looks cooler and more peaceful. And that's part of the reason for taking the cruise. :D

Please though - don't suggest clean towels every three days or rooms done every other day - that might lead to loss of jobs as they will think they can make do with half the number of room stewards

I agree......... We like the frequent supply of fresh towels. We're on vacation and I'm not doing the laundry. ;)

I love to find fluffy fresh towels hanging in the bathroom.

Ditto on everyone's comments about leaving only bedmaking and vacuuming for our hardworking stewards. On our recent B2B cruise we convinced our steward that he truly, truly didn't need to do anything but replace towels in our room on changeover day; that I'd make up the bed so it would look ok and we'd be fine until the evening turndown--need those chocolates! He went along with it; I wasn't sure he would but really, there's so much for them to do that day. Those of us staying on don't need much.

I like to line them up along the back of the sofa where I can admire them :p (don't use the sofa much for anything else). The stewards always seem pleased.

On a 7-day cruise there's usually plenty of room -- anything longer though, I only keep the best ones for the duration.

I agree......... We like the frequent supply of fresh towels. We're on vacation and I'm not doing the laundry. ;)

I love to find fluffy fresh towels hanging in the bathroom.

For me having clean towels twice a day ( and not having to launder them myself) is the luxury of the cruise. I wouldn't mind keeping them for a day, if there was a heated rail to dry them off, but re- using damp towels is a no-no in my book ;) .

In an ideal world white egyptian cotton sheets fresh every day would be the icing on the cake :)

We always tidy up the cabin...otherwise we would be tripping all over our own stuff, temporarily losing things, and getting into family feuds. Several times our steward came and didn't expect anyone in the cabin. He quickly apologized and said he'd come back. We told him to go right ahead and work on the room, we even moved around to stay out of his way. We could tell he wasn't used to it.

I've always felt that the stewards should not have to pick up our mess! I always make sure clothes are put away, the vanity counters are arranged or cleaned off and the covers pulled up on the bed. It only takes a few minutes!

I remember walking down the hall one cruise and glancing in the open door as we passed another cabin. We could see the steward inside, cleaning. OMG!!! :eek: There were clothes and stuff all over! I wondered how he could clean around the mess. I felt sorry that he had such pigs in his assignment.

We probably couldn't imagine the stories these hardworking stewards could tell.:(

I agree with Ruth C a tidy cabin is indeed a" cooler more peaceful"space.

I believe if your surroundings are in order,your thinking benefits.

My challenge has been to convince my children of this principle,I think I have succeeded ,they both now know the color of their bedroom carpeting ( just kidding):D

I don't do it for the stewards but I do it. On any cruise I have been on they only come in twice a day and to sit in the middle of my own mess just because they will clean up would ruin my trip. I too am a neat freak. In fact I put things away as I use them. The first time I hired a housekeeper it didn't work for me because I was killing myself by thoroughly cleaning before she got there. :eek:

Do you find yourself doing little things that might make it a tiny bit easier for your cabin steward?

I book smaller inside cabins, so I always keep things neat. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to find anything. I always put my clothes away, extra shoes in the closet, papers in folders neatly stacked on the desk ... that sort of thing.

Aside from helping the steward, I think I am helping myself. You can't have everything all slopped up when you have only about 175 square feet of living space for the duration of a 35 day cruise. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

My steward wasn't leaving them every night. The problem I had was that he would put them on the bed. Well, naturally I've gotta move them to get in. When I would move them, half the time they would fall apart.

I talked to him one morning and apologized for "destroying" his art work. I said that I felt bad about it. I asked him to make me another hanging monkey that I could leave up for the rest of the cruise. After that, he made me the monkey and then would leave another animal on the couch that he would occasionally add to ... making more elaborate.

It was cute ... I had this monkey hanging from the desk, and a rather elaborate dog on the couch. I stuck a cigarette in each of their mouths and declared them smokers! The cabin steward loved it. He even offered to bring me another ashtray for them. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have always kept my cabin and any hotel rooms neat and orderly. I do not necessarily do it for the people that clean the rooms/cabins, I just do it for myself but I am sure it does help the cleaners out. I am totally amazed when I have walked past a room/cabin and the door is open and it shows a room that is just a total mess. Yuck!

I helped out a friend who was running a hotel one weekend. She & I cleaned rooms, as all her staff had quit. We got to one room, opened the door, and backed right out. There was not a single square foot of floor space visible. Half full bottles of beer, cans on the floor, food and snacks on the carpet, dirty clothes and towels and bedding and suitcases and sports equipment and and and.... Posted a sign on the door -- "No service from housekeeping. Clean it up yourself" Too bad the cabin stewards can't do that!

Who are those peolpe? You know the ones I mean. We have all walked by cabins, in the process of being cleaned, and observe that it looks like a cyclone came through.

I think they may be my teens!:eek: It took a couple days to notice how they were leaving the room on our first cruise! Turns out I have to go sit on them twice a day to get the room presentable enough for a rat! I think we have fixed the problem with reminders...:o

We always make sure that things are picked up for the room steward. If it is a sea day and we don't want to leave the balcony we just ask for a few extra towels and have them not worry about the morning service. After reading these posts I must be the only one who does not leave and come home to a spotless and perfect house. Cherie

I wonder if the overwhelming positive response to Sail's thread is due to CC posters' being experienced cruisers for the most part ... ?

No, it's because we're all perfect on CC. You know, we all have polite kids, dress properly on formal nights, and pick up our rooms.:D

As I think Kryos says, with a small cabin, or two or three people in a cabin, you have to pick up or there would be no room to move in there.

Please though - don't suggest clean towels every three days or rooms done every other day - that might lead to loss of jobs as they will think they can make do with half the number of room stewards :rolleyes:

I don't need clean towels everyday; I don't think they would see it as a reason to cut the number of stewards but acknowledgment that the passenger wants to do something for the environment.

acknowledgment that the passenger wants to do something for the environment.

I'd like to see way less advertising for art auctions....gold by the inch....sales in their stores. That would help with the amount of useless paper wasted:rolleyes: :eek: .

Archived