How many days in Code Red? (Just off Volendam)

Robin7

What is the longest you have ever been in Code Red on a ship?

Prior to this cruise, it was two days on the Zaandam for us.

We just got off the Volendam on Friday and got home this afternoon. (It's been the loooooooongest day of my life. We arrived at LAX hours before we left Sydney. Someone needs to explain that to me when I'm over the jet lag. :D)

We boarded in Auckland on Friday, October 24th. On Sunday, October 26th, we discovered we were in Code Red when we went to breakfast. When the Captain (Peter Bos and just FABULOUS) gave his afternoon update, he said we had a virus that came aboard with passengers from Qantas flight #26 on Friday. 37 (maybe 34) passengers were ill. (I don't think he specifically said it was Noro but he did say the CDC was involved.)

We never got out of Code Red. We had a great cruise, but we spent 12 of the 14 days in Code Red. That's a looooooooong time. I don't know how the crew even managed to still on their feet by the end, and many seemed just as cheerful as usual. The 'corporate partners' were all helping in the Lido--photogs, shop persons, etc. Even spouses of crew were helping!

We nearly got out of Code Red, the Captain said, but in spite of repeated (and I mean REPEATED) instructions to please report in as soon as you think you might be ill, two passengers who were sick STILL went on a shore excursion in Melbourne and didn't report until afterwards. (Stupid, selfish idiots, if you ask me.)

The Volendam had over 100 people with it before we got off. (I can't remember the exact number.) We were among the last to leave because of independent travel plans in Sydney. We ate pretty late and passed a photog sitting and looking glum in the Lido, eating his breakfast. We started talking to him, and he said everyone had to remain aboard to help disinfect, starting at 9am, so he was going to miss his time off to see Sydney, and they wouldn't be back for four weeks. Poor guy! Poor crew! (It was the Volendam's first call there.)

So I was just wondering if anyone has been on a ship in Code Red longer than 12 days.

We had a VERY unusual cruise. I'm working on a review.

Robin

I found this from our stop in Picton:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4743092a6008.html

And this from Dunedin:

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/29913/norovirus-hits-60-cruise-ship

Interesting that they were following our progress. I can see how it could impact Picton, the loveliest little town you've ever seen, population about 4500, but Dunedin is quite large. I wonder if it had been a larger outbreak if they would have uninivited us to stop there???? Hmmmmm.

Robin

So I was just wondering if anyone has been on a ship in Code Red longer than 12 days.

Right from the start, a 14 day cruise on Veendam in January 2005. The ship was actually sick 3 14-night cruises in a row... it was late boarding when we arrived, returned early to Tampa because Caymans would not allow us to disembark. After we got off, the ship still reported nearly 6 % as being ill for the following voyage.

I do hope it didn't carry over to the new cruise. I can't imagine how the crew can continue to work as hard as Code Red requires them to day after day after day.

It didn't really bother us much. We had family with us so had our own 'social events' so didn't miss any of the things that were canceled. It was not a bathing suit cruise so didn't miss the hot tubs, and the pool was closed most of the trip anyway. (Not sure what that was about and didn't care enough to find out.) We got to where we picked up some extra packets of salt and pepper at the Lido and used them in the dining room, as waiting for the steward to have time to bring the S&P was the only true inconvenience for us.

It was interesting to see the special team cleaning quarantined rooms. They all seemed to be 'officers', wearing blue coats. They were all also weaing gloves and masks. (A couple of the rooms were in our hall so we saw them several times.)

C2C, that is very interesting that the Caymans wouldn't allow you to disembark there. I never thought about that while we were on the ship. (Glad I didn't or I would have worried.)

KK, that is A LOT of days, but it also means you get to cruise a lot too, so I guess it's a trade off. :D

Robin

I

KK, that is A LOT of days, but it also means you get to cruise a lot too, so I guess it's a trade off. :D

Robin

We are cruising while we can -- each year -- more health issues.

The first Amsterdam cruise in 2002 -- the sickness stayed on for 3 more cruises -- they just couldn't get it under control. So the next cruise was cancelled to thoroughly clean down the ship.

We were on the second cruise and third after Amsterdam went back into service. We sailed her back-to-back for Christmas and New Year's cruises. The day we disembarked, they embarked World Cruise. That was the first year Amsterdam did World Cruise.

We did not have Code Red while aboard but it was obvious the crew was on the 'lookout' and very cautious lest it return.

:) It didn't.

Statendam 2006 Hong Kong to Osaka about 11 of 14 days. Even though we were delayed 4 or 5 hours boarding for cleaning as the previous cruise had been "sick," we were still infected. About 350 passengers and crew were sick during our voyage. They told us the crew was definitely the culprit that time. Those who were well worked very hard, took good care of us, and the trip was still a wonderful experience.

Robin - Have you posted your cruise review? I can't wait to read it, especially about all of the ports that you visited.

I'm working on it. Jet-lag has been a killer, plus I got the nasty cold that was going around the ship. I hope to have the review done by the end of the weekend. We LOVED this trip, even with all the days in Code Red. Amazing, incredible scenery and people.

I wanted to add that this cold-thing was so much worse than the Norovirus! And it was EVERYWHERE. We were on a bus from the ship to Christchurch (the ship docks at the commercial port in Lyttleton and it's about 25 minutes to the city), and the lady behind me was just hacking and sniffing and loudly blowing her nose and sounded TERRIBLE. I heard her say to her husband, "Well, I'm finally feeling better." EEK. She also mentioned she'd been sick since the Volendam's stop in Fiji the week before. My mother-in-law was sitting ahead of us, but I told my husband, "Your mom is gonna get this garbage because of that lady and her hacking and coughing." Sure enough. Three days later, my MIL (whose immune system stinks) got it, and even though we were careful, WE came home with it.

On every tour or shuttle, there were people coughing and coughing and coughing. I bet half the ship had this bronchial stuff, but of course they don't track that.

Robin

Prior to this cruise, it was two days on the Zaandam for us.

We just got off the Volendam on Friday and got home this afternoon. (It's been the loooooooongest day of my life. We arrived at LAX hours before we left Sydney. Someone needs to explain that to me when I'm over the jet lag. :D)

We boarded in Auckland on Friday, October 24th. On Sunday, October 26th, we discovered we were in Code Red when we went to breakfast. When the Captain (Peter Bos and just FABULOUS) gave his afternoon update, he said we had a virus that came aboard with passengers from Qantas flight #26 on Friday. 37 (maybe 34) passengers were ill. (I don't think he specifically said it was Noro but he did say the CDC was involved.)

We never got out of Code Red. We had a great cruise, but we spent 12 of the 14 days in Code Red. That's a looooooooong time. I don't know how the crew even managed to still on their feet by the end, and many seemed just as cheerful as usual. The 'corporate partners' were all helping in the Lido--photogs, shop persons, etc. Even spouses of crew were helping!

We nearly got out of Code Red, the Captain said, but in spite of repeated (and I mean REPEATED) instructions to please report in as soon as you think you might be ill, two passengers who were sick STILL went on a shore excursion in Melbourne and didn't report until afterwards. (Stupid, selfish idiots, if you ask me.)

The Volendam had over 100 people with it before we got off. (I can't remember the exact number.) We were among the last to leave because of independent travel plans in Sydney. We ate pretty late and passed a photog sitting and looking glum in the Lido, eating his breakfast. We started talking to him, and he said everyone had to remain aboard to help disinfect, starting at 9am, so he was going to miss his time off to see Sydney, and they wouldn't be back for four weeks. Poor guy! Poor crew! (It was the Volendam's first call there.)

We had a VERY unusual cruise. I'm working on a review.

Robin

That really is too bad.

We were on the Volendam from L.A. to Auckland and got off there on the 24th, we never had one problem, everybody in great shape and gorgeous weather, and the Capt. Pieter Bos was indeed fabulous...

I'm working on it. Jet-lag has been a killer, plus I got the nasty cold that was going around the ship. I hope to have the review done by the end of the weekend. We LOVED this trip, even with all the days in Code Red. Amazing, incredible scenery and people.

I wanted to add that this cold-thing was so much worse than the Norovirus! And it was EVERYWHERE. We were on a bus from the ship to Christchurch (the ship docks at the commercial port in Lyttleton and it's about 25 minutes to the city), and the lady behind me was just hacking and sniffing and loudly blowing her nose and sounded TERRIBLE. I heard her say to her husband, "Well, I'm finally feeling better." EEK. She also mentioned she'd been sick since the Volendam's stop in Fiji the week before. My mother-in-law was sitting ahead of us, but I told my husband, "Your mom is gonna get this garbage because of that lady and her hacking and coughing." Sure enough. Three days later, my MIL (whose immune system stinks) got it, and even though we were careful, WE came home with it.

On every tour or shuttle, there were people coughing and coughing and coughing. I bet half the ship had this bronchial stuff, but of course they don't track that.

Robin

Do take care of yourself!!! This stuff is nasty and once bronchitis sets in you risk Pneumonia!:eek: My DD had it start with a sore throat which became a sinus infection. Not too bad and they put her on a Z-pack. 2 days later and we are dealing with at least bronchitis and possibly worse - terrible chest pain and gunky cough. She is only 15 with a good immune system. My mom is still getting over something similar after a month!!!:eek: Don't put off a Dr. trip as we were told to be in Monday for x-rays if it hasn't improved! You don't want to be dealing with this and possible hospitalization because your system didn't fight well.

clip ....

Robin

Ah, the perfect straight line for one of the few limericks that I can use in polite company.

There was a young lady named Bright

Who traveled much faster than light.

She left one day

In an Einsteinan way

And arrived the preceding night.

So, you see, it's all very simple if you understand the General Theory of Relativity, or maybe it's the Special Theory of Relativity.

Anyway, glad you made it home, and we all sympathize with the Code Red issues you had to deal with.

Is there anyway to find out if the ship you will be sailing on has Code Red issues?

A ship could be sailing under Code Red today, and be off tomorrow. Conversely, a ship could be sailing along nicely, then BANG! Code Red.

There's no way to tell in advance if a ship will, or won't, be sailing under Code Red when you board.

Whether or not it's sailing under Code Red at any given time is widely reported on this board. You can check here for reliable info. ;)

Seavoyage,

Thank You for the kind words about our Boston. Meggie is almost 14. She is totally deaf, has poor vision but there is nothing wrong with her nose and appetite.

Our travel agent never told us it was the Zenith’s last voyage when we booked.

The airplane trip started uneventfully in Newark and ended uneventfully in Tampa. The troubles started with our arrival at the cruise terminal. The prior sailing ended in Code Red. Our sailing began in Code Red. Many passengers and crew quarantined on prior sailing. CDC and Dept of Health were present and boarding was delayed until the ship could be cleaned. The terminal filled up with passengers quickly. The decision was made to board by group number and those group numbers were issued based on your arrival time at the terminal. Sounds fair, doesn’t it?

Passengers started complaining about missing lunch, so they brought out old lunch meat between two pieces of bread. More unrest. We are still in the terminal one hour past our departure time and it is getting hostile. We were knees to knees in the terminal when some executive genius decided to ignore the group numbers and board by proximity to the gate first. You can just imagine how the passengers that were there since morning (DW and I and friends included) felt about that. More unrest.

Passengers 20 years my senior (I’m 54) are standing nose to nose with CEL staff screaming that this cluster flub has to stop.

So we board.

Elevators, stairs and isles were jammed up and packed tight. Crew members wearing full face mask with filters and a pressurized back tank (the kind you spray your fruit trees with) are spraying ALL hard surfaces and NOT wiping them down. This lasted 14 days. This solution bleached clothing materials that it came in contact with. Other crew members have spray bottles with microbial disinfectant and are hitting all the soft surfaces. When you sat down, you got wet. This lasted 14 days.

For 14 days you could not:

• Get your own coffee, tea, OJ, ice tea.
  • Handle any sugar packets, salt and pepper shakers.
  • Pour milk on cereal, crew had to
  • Have bread basket on your table or butter

As I said before, part of the crew was quarantined and not available for customer service. Eating took a terrible amount of crew involvement and it took time. Retail outlets and most lounges were closed because of lack of crew. Passengers started to get sick at an alarming rate and many were quarantined. There was a group of 23 people from Vancouver who had 21 sick.

The stop at the Caymen Islands was cancelled.

Other things happened on this cruise unrelated to the code red.

The cruise line ran out of many items because it was the last sailing. There were broken water pipes that flooded cabins and halls. The carpet was replaced during the cruise. During Harbour Nights there was the runaway horse and carriage in Hamilton that resulted in many injuries to cruise line passengers. There were three ships in Bermuda at the time.

I believe they ended Code Red on the 14th day because it was pretty much over at this time and the incubation period from this day would end after passengers departed.

We have two credits that are in our travel (scrap) book that we never used.

DW, our friends and I remained healthy during the entire cruise.

Our cruise on the Amsterdam started in Code Red but Code Red ended after 3 days though. This Zenith cruise will never be forgotten.

Hi GR - Meggie is beautiful! Our little fur-girl Annie is 13 and is an adopted rescue not sure how to post pictures yet but will try - I understand how you feel about Meggie - Annie is our heart! Her grandparents are flying in from NY to babysit while we are on our next cruise - she has the entire family trained very well:p!

Regarding the Zenith - oh my goodness I cannot imagine going through that - what a nightmare! DH and I only get to travel once a year (if we can) - I cannot imagine anticipating all year to end up in such a drastic situation - plus I am a complete germ-a-phobic!:eek: That certainly is an experience of a lifetime to say the least! Trust you never have to go through that again! Wow!

Seavoyage,

This Zenith cruise of ours was a learning experience of a lifetime. If this was our first cruise, we would never cruise again. Period!

We could not find future itineraries on the Zenith and when we asked our travel agent about this, he said they were not published yet. We accepted his word on this. We will not make that mistake again.

As I said, it was the last sailing of the Zenith. CEL was selling the ship and they did not want to put anything into it. They did not want to take anything off it either. They ran out of drinks, wine and common food stuffs.

Nobody within CEL, even white coats, on that ship gave a dam about anything. The general cleanliness on that ship was deplorable. Rust bleeding thru white paint was common. Dirty unmopped areas were common. The decision was made to NOT vacuum individual rooms, but to vacuum public hallways. Do you know what the carpet looked like after 15 days in our room? CEL housekeeping said that vacuuming would stir the dust.

I think that decision to not vacuum rooms was made after Mr and Mrs Blattaria were found on board. Some passengers got large credits.

DW and I love Holland.

Archived