LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

Ok, I've been reading these posts from the start...lurking and enjoying every minute. Carol I have a question for you. The RFS, have you all been comfortable with 4? We have thought of getting it with our cruising buddies in the past (us and another couple) but have worried that it might be too close for comfort. What are you thoughts?

Thanks and keep having a great time and sharing it with us!

Linda

Hi Rick! I was looking for our thread (Radiance 2/1 from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires) when I came across this thread on the Mariner tonight. The reports and pictures have been wonderful---although I have had to skip a large portion of it (too much to read in one sitting).

I'm sorry to hear about Bobbie's dad. Thanks for letting us know that he is doing a lot better now. Say hi to Bobbie for me.

Rafael and I enjoyed meeting the two of you on the Panama Canal cruise on the Monarch. Wasn't that the best ever? Actually, if I were on this cruise, I'd probably say the same about it.

I was looking at my iPhone world clock and when it is midnight here in California, it is 5 am in Santiago. I guess that would confirm what others are saying about the time difference.

We'll be in the same country on February 1. But, while you are touring/watching the game in Santiago, we will be leaving our Vina del Mar hotel and boarding the Radiance---heading for Buenos Aires.

We're also preparing for a November cruise on the Legend, leaving Dubai and heading to Singapore. That should be interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing Mumbai, Cochin and Goa since I have been reading historical fiction set in India. The pirates in that region have me a little concerned. We cruised Asia a few years back on the Oceania ship that was chased recently!!! I must say that RCI has some fantastic itineraries---who would have thought Dubai??!!

Say hello to Doris if she is still onboard when you join the third leg.

Sincerely,

Your Antigua, Guatemala "tour coordinator"

And congratulations to everyone on this cruise and those of you who are reading this thread. It is wonderful to live vicariously at times. In a week, we will be doing leg 3 in reverse on the Radiance so I anxiously await each day's postings to hear about the weather, the sights, where to dine on shore, what to buy, etc.

I'd also like to weigh in on the discussion of the cameras and lens. While off thread, they were interesting---especially since the camera/lens produced such high quality photos. Makes my Cybershot photos look insignificant.

Ok, I've been reading these posts from the start...lurking and enjoying every minute. Carol I have a question for you. The RFS, have you all been comfortable with 4? We have thought of getting it with our cruising buddies in the past (us and another couple) but have worried that it might be too close for comfort. What are you thoughts?

Thanks and keep having a great time and sharing it with us!

Linda

Linda, we have three, but if you mean that you would be four adults in two pairs, NO PROBLEM. You will be very comfortable and will LOVE the RFS. Yes, the two bedrooms are not equivalent, but you can perhaps figure out the most equitable way to split the cost. If these are good friends, you will enjoy sharing this suite with them.

Any information about the restaurant "Jade" on the ship? What kind of food? Is there Sushi? Haven't seen much posted about it, so thought I would ask. Thank you.

I had it last night, as a matter of fact. The sushi was very good, and there were other interesting looking dishes.

What a fantastic and beautiful city!~ We just loved our tour - the city lies on the end of a peninsula, and everywhere are beaches and ocean views.

After a driving tour of the city, with several stops for photographs, we drove out into the country to the Juanico area to a vineyard. There we toured, learned, and ended up in their beautiful "barn" for lunch, brief tango show, and wine tasting. The wine tasting ended up being unlimited wine. It was delicious. Exellent wines.

The bus ride back featured Carol and Cindy, direct from Vegas. We led singalongs and did solos/duets/trios (with a fun gal in front of us, Karen) the whole way back. Ok, we were looped.

So we certainly didn't feel like dinner.

We drank some more in the Concierge Lounge/Lotus Lounge, then got something to eat in the WJ, then went to the FABULOUS Tango Buenos Aires show, which Cindy mostly slept through. Then I went to bed.

Yes, folks, I was in bed before 11. I was running on 3 1/2 hours of sleep from the night before plus gallons of wine. I needed my rest!

So now *I* am bright-eyed and bushy tailed, and ready for Buenos Aires.

We are delayed in docking and being cleared - that's why I'm talking to all of you.

Captain Johnny's update about an hour ago said that there were THREE FEET of water under our keel at that moment!!!!! :eek:

I hope that you are now docked and some of the tours are off of the ship.

Today is the Iguazu Falls tour for Susan, Bobbie and her mom, and many others as well. I know that this is a full day.....with a flight out of Buenos Aires to Iguazo........and then being bussed to different parts of the falls. Actually..........Bobbie's Mom says that this is the main reason that they came on the cruise!!:eek::rolleyes:

Thanks for the update Carol!! Bobbie said that I would not hear from her again till the next day at Sea........on Monday!!

Rick

Hi Rick! I was looking for our thread (Radiance 2/1 from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires) when I came across this thread on the Mariner tonight. The reports and pictures have been wonderful---although I have had to skip a large portion of it (too much to read in one sitting).

I'm sorry to hear about Bobbie's dad. Thanks for letting us know that he is doing a lot better now. Say hi to Bobbie for me.

Rafael and I enjoyed meeting the two of you on the Panama Canal cruise on the Monarch. Wasn't that the best ever? Actually, if I were on this cruise, I'd probably say the same about it.

I was looking at my iPhone world clock and when it is midnight here in California, it is 5 am in Santiago. I guess that would confirm what others are saying about the time difference.

We'll be in the same country on February 1. But, while you are touring/watching the game in Santiago, we will be leaving our Vina del Mar hotel and boarding the Radiance---heading for Buenos Aires.

We're also preparing for a November cruise on the Legend, leaving Dubai and heading to Singapore. That should be interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing Mumbai, Cochin and Goa since I have been reading historical fiction set in India. The pirates in that region have me a little concerned. We cruised Asia a few years back on the Oceania ship that was chased recently!!! I must say that RCI has some fantastic itineraries---who would have thought Dubai??!!

Say hello to Doris if she is still onboard when you join the third leg.

Sincerely,

Your Antigua, Guatemala "tour coordinator"

And congratulations to everyone on this cruise and those of you who are reading this thread. It is wonderful to live vicariously at times. In a week, we will be doing leg 3 in reverse on the Radiance so I anxiously await each day's postings to hear about the weather, the sights, where to dine on shore, what to buy, etc.

I'd also like to weigh in on the discussion of the cameras and lens. While off thread, they were interesting---especially since the camera/lens produced such high quality photos. Makes my Cybershot photos look insignificant.

Hi Frances...........great to hear from you!! If I recall, you did an outstanding job of finding Elizabeth Bell for our Antigua tour!

Wow........we will not be far away from each other in Chile! The trip around the horn is the one that I would have preferred to do......but right now I could not take 30 days away from work.

Bobbie and I were scheduled on the Legend of the Seas for the spring trip between Singapore and Rome. We cancelled because of the unrest in that part of the world. It's something on our todo list.

Today Bobbie and a small group are headed off for Iguazu Falls. It should be one of the highlights of this trip.

Give my best to Rafeal and wonderful hearing from you!! When you return we would love to hear about your cruise!

Rick

Any information about the restaurant "Jade" on the ship? What kind of food? Is there Sushi? Haven't seen much posted about it, so thought I would ask. Thank you.

Jade is actually just a separate line in the Windjammer with Asian style food. I'm glad Carol mentioned the sushi since I can't provide info on that. They seemed to be open whenever the WJ was. I remember loving the fact that I could get fried rice for breakfast! :p

OMG...is that even possible???? 3 feet of water-vs- 140 ton ship....where are all our physic posters???

Ha ha, well I don't know if I qualify, but... all you need is a half an inch below the deepest part of the propeller... but of course that depends on what you are measuring. As the ship sits or moves, it does slightly rock and pitch, even if it's not noticeable. Just the act of tying up causes it to roll slightly to one side with the pull of the ropes. Three feet is not so much that you would want to sail in that kind of water, but if the measurement is sure and you are confident that the tide is rising from there, rather than falling, and you are careful and smooth with your thrusters, I'm sure it won't be a problem. I don't know what clearances are in other major ports, but they aren't going to be significantly deeper for many of them.

I was thinking earlier, for some of these South American ports, Mariner may very well be the largest ship to ever dock there!

ETA: By the way, the "weight", especially since it's actually a volume, and not a real "weight" for cruise ships, has very little to do with it. The only number that matters is the draft, and that depends entirely on how the ship is designed. There are smaller and lighter ships with a deeper draft than the Voyager class ships. Most notable was the old SS Norway. IIRC, she was longer, but smaller and lighter, but designed for trans-ocean voyages. She drew in excess of 30 feet, and most of the time had to anchor out and tender in her passengers.

Theron

Carol-

Have been reading all along and enjoying your trip report thoroughly. Just to note-the Nelson boys are on AOS at the moment, with my friend Bill (BuyReallyLow). He said they enjoyed their show immensely, I know you are missing those cuties (so would I!!).

Hope you and the Divas continue to have good times. Sounds like a blast!!

..<<snip>>..We drank some more in the Concierge Lounge/Lotus Lounge, then got something to eat in the WJ, then went to the FABULOUS Tango Buenos Aires show, which Cindy mostly slept through. .<<snip>>.

We saw this great act on a prior cruise and going on the idea that MM was too happy to take pictures, here are a couple.

2215110940096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

and....

2801995060096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

This is a great act and should not be missed.

OT?

Ha ha, well I don't know if I qualify, but... all you need is a half an inch below the deepest part of the propeller... but of course that depends on what you are measuring. As the ship sits or moves, it does slightly rock and pitch, even if it's not noticeable. Just the act of tying up causes it to roll slightly to one side with the pull of the ropes. Three feet is not so much that you would want to sail in that kind of water, but if the measurement is sure and you are confident that the tide is rising from there, rather than falling, and you are careful and smooth with your thrusters, I'm sure it won't be a problem. I don't know what clearances are in other major ports, but they aren't going to be significantly deeper for many of them.

I was thinking earlier, for some of these South American ports, Mariner may very well be the largest ship to ever dock there!

ETA: By the way, the "weight", especially since it's actually a volume, and not a real "weight" for cruise ships, has very little to do with it. The only number that matters is the draft, and that depends entirely on how the ship is designed. There are smaller and lighter ships with a deeper draft than the Voyager class ships. Most notable was the old SS Norway. IIRC, she was longer, but smaller and lighter, but designed for trans-ocean voyages. She drew in excess of 30 feet, and most of the time had to anchor out and tender in her passengers.

Theron

Theron, you never cease to amaze me. I can't argue the facts posted....I have no clue!!!! :D :eek:

Thanks for a great explanation!

Jade is actually just a separate line in the Windjammer with Asian style food. I'm glad Carol mentioned the sushi since I can't provide info on that. They seemed to be open whenever the WJ was. I remember loving the fact that I could get fried rice for breakfast! :p

Thank you ... appreciate the information. Hubby will be thrilled about the sushi, especially if it is good sushi. He can eat rice at any time, definitely is a big fan of it too.

Thank you ... appreciate the information. Hubby will be thrilled about the sushi, especially if it is good sushi. He can eat rice at any time, definitely is a big fan of it too.

Mary, when you enter the Windjammer turn to the left side...that is where you will find Jade...by the windows. It's right past the specialty restaurant. :D

Hey Rick, Congrats on your 6000th post:p

Thanks Jill!!

It will be great to finally cruise with Carol again. I will be aboard one week from Monday. We have cruised together twice before.........and have always had fun together!!:D

I wish that Royal Caribbean was making the pre inaugural a "Royal Champion" get together...........so that we could finally meet!!;)

Rick

Thanks Jill!!

It will be great to finally cruise with Carol again. I will be aboard one week from Monday. We have cruised together twice before.........and have always had fun together!!:D

I wish that Royal Caribbean was making the pre inaugural a "Royal Champion" get together...........so that we could finally meet!!;)

Rick

We will meet one of these days!!! Please say hi to Paul, Judy, Carol, Cindy & Jeanine for me & Dave...

What a fantastic and beautiful city!~ We just loved our tour - the city lies on the end of a peninsula, and everywhere are beaches and ocean views.

After a driving tour of the city, with several stops for photographs, we drove out into the country to the Juanico area to a vineyard. There we toured, learned, and ended up in their beautiful "barn" for lunch, brief tango show, and wine tasting. The wine tasting ended up being unlimited wine. It was delicious. Exellent wines.

The bus ride back featured Carol and Cindy, direct from Vegas. We led singalongs and did solos/duets/trios (with a fun gal in front of us, Karen) the whole way back. Ok, we were looped.

So we certainly didn't feel like dinner.

We drank some more in the Concierge Lounge/Lotus Lounge, then got something to eat in the WJ, then went to the FABULOUS Tango Buenos Aires show, which Cindy mostly slept through. Then I went to bed.

Yes, folks, I was in bed before 11. I was running on 3 1/2 hours of sleep from the night before plus gallons of wine. I needed my rest!

So now *I* am bright-eyed and bushy tailed, and ready for Buenos Aires.

We are delayed in docking and being cleared - that's why I'm talking to all of you.

Captain Johnny's update about an hour ago said that there were THREE FEET of water under our keel at that moment!!!!! :eek:[/

QUOTE]

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

My wife and I did the Jade on the Navigator TATL a couple of months ago. The sushi is passable but dont expect anything that will knock your socks off

Archived