Join us, Bill and Mary Ann, on our 128 day epic journey around the world in 2009

WCB

Thanks for the safe information although it really wasn't what I wanted to hear. Sounds like your off to a good start. Great description of unpacking. I laughed so hard I almost cried. Maybe I almost cried because I knew we would be going through the same thing before long. See you soon.

Leslie and Handler

Mary Ann and Bill,

I have just seen a lovely photo of you with Jeff on his Blog. Now I can imagine you both as you cruise around the world. I am enjoying your wonderful posts and wish that one day we would be on a RTW trip but unfortunately, I don't think my DH could be at sea for so many days. We have done 35 days and I think we could stretch it to 60 but after that he would be "climbing up the walls' so to speak.

Still I am lucky that I am able to enjoy it through your eyes.

Jennie

Could someone help me out please?

And still chuckling over all the luggage -- but in a jealous way...

You should have seen me whimpering as I packed for my 15 days in Egypt, with ONE 45 pound suitcase, and ONE 15 pound carry on!

Blasphemy! Cretins! Clods! :eek: With those restrictions, you'd think they wanted us to be nekkid!! :rolleyes:

Loved the pic of the two of you with Jeff which is proudly displayed on the Day 3 page of his blog. You both look so pale standing next to him. However knowing you both I'm sure you will be working hard to remedy that over the next few days and months!

Hi Bill and Mary Ann,

It's been fun following the blog so far. You know we'll be checking it daily. We wanted to let "Charleston Lady" know that we plan to meet her daily in the gym in 2010 - can't wait!

BTW, would you ask Barbie if she'd like a visit from us in Los Angeles? We were thinking about driving down (it's only about 3 hours) to see all the folks we'll miss this year.

Keep that blog a-comin'. I think you'd better explain cork-forking before people get the wrong idea. We hope that you guys and Barbie get at the same table. We're looking forward to 309 next year!

John and Diane

Bill and Mary Ann - I will look for your posts every morning with my first cup of coffee. A voyage like this is a dream for us when all three kids have graduated college. I loved John and Diane's voyage last year and can't wait to live vicariously through you!!! If you get to L.A. and need anything delivered to the port just let me know, I'm 25 minutes away. Thank you again for letting me join you on this voyage!!!! Cherie

Report # 5 1-06-09 Tuesday Day at Sea

Today is our first wonderful day at sea. The weather is balmy with slight seas. Perfect time to finish the unpacking.

Breakfast in the dining room was excellent after our early morning walk. The promenade deck appears quite well maintained compared to the Amsterdam. A large crew of painters have been working slowly but surely sprucing up the outerwalls of the ship. Actually, it appears that all of the carpeting has been replaced throughout the vessel. We noticed that the work is ongoing late at night as we sail towards South America.

Back to the room. We made a lot of progress and emptied all of the bags. There was enough space under the bed to leave three rolled duffels, our little red bag, and a few other large totes. We stashed all of the extra toiletries and warm weather clothes in them....out of sight. Great. The rest of the baggage was taken away to be stored until May, according to Bagus. In other words, if you want them back, you can't get them!

It wasn't until 3:30 pm that we finally finished the job. Bill got out the extra plug strips, and re-routed everything on the desk to accommodate our computer, speakers, and printer. Extra plugs will be needed for camera batteries and recharging toothbrushes. We even brought an electric fan on a pedestal, which will work wonderfully on humid days.

A problem with the description of this cruise has popped up with the full world cruisers. In his first attempt at initiating his prepaid internet package, Jeff was told that it would not apply to this voyage of 14 days. He'd have to buy another plan. Wait a minute. Isn't this supposed to be the start of the 128 day and 131 day world cruise?? That is how we booked it. Now we are being told , no, this is a precruise. The real one starts in Los Angeles. Well, before we left home, we called HAL to verify with ship services that our packages (water, internet, Pinnacle dinners, and laundry) would start the day we boarded. Their answer was YES. Hope we don't have to go to battle to get these amenities we bought!

As it turned out, Jeff beat us to the punch, speaking to the guest relations manager. Her reply concerning this voyage was that no one had informed them that so many world cruisers would be onboard. Duh? The booklet advertising this trip has only been out for a year and a half. Guess we will just have to make it perfectly clear, and soon.

By the time we checked our our internet package, the manager happily said we could log on immediately. Guess she got "the word"! We have started getting our liter of water, and sending out our laundry, so that's OK. But so far we have not received the welcome onboard champagne or the four bottles of complimentary liquor. Will check on this tomorrow.

The day was gone before we had a chance to do anything else except eat a quick lunch.

Dinner was good again this first formal evening. Bill ordered blackened swordfish and I had yummy rack of lamb. Barbara and Orlin, we have to thank you for your thorough description of the habit of counter-clockwise walking of the promenade deck. It was the perfect subject to get our tablemates thinking and laughing.

After dinner at 10 pm, Captain Olav van der Waard introduced his senior staff with complimentary champagne for all. And the Rotterdam singers and dancers performed a show of Moments to Remember.

Upon returning to our room, we found ONE, just one HAL bag, and no chocolate truffles! What's that about? We always get formal truffles and two HAL bags. Maybe that will be on the REAL world cruise out of LA?

Oh yes, our welcome onboard champagne arrived as well as our bottles of liquor. We're making progress!

Bill & Mary Ann

Report # 6 1-07-09 Wednesday Day at Sea

Things are looking good as far as our settling in and the beautiful weather that's waiting for us outside.

However, we had to tackle a few problems first. We 've discovered that our room's refrigerator was constantly defrosting, causing the water to lake up on the bottom shelf. We did find a hand towel there, completely soaked, when we arrived. That was the first clue.

After reporting this to the front desk, three technicians arrived quickly to assess the situation. Their reply was to send someone else to look at it. So another fellow stopped by, and said our room steward would have to wipe it out twice a day. Oh yeah, that's not the way to win his heart! He has enough to do. Guess we will start this over tomorrow, and see if they have a replacement refrig in storage.

Then, we were notified that our Catagena boat and beach tour was cancelled due to low participation. Since we were just here last spring, we decided not to book another tour. Maybe we will just take a walk to the gate.

Many activities were happening all day, such as the exploration speakers, bridge, fitness class, golf chipping and putting, dance class, wine tasting, trivia, teatime, blackjack, and BINGO, of course! The announcement of some of these were announced in the rooms. We hope that stops on the world cruise.

We enjoyed a little relaxation time at the back pool with Jeff. The condition of the pool area is way better than on the Amsterdam. We did not see any problems with the teak decking, such as lifting or leaking. Our only disappointment was with the ugly plastic and breaking lounge chairs. Sure would be nice if these got replaced with the nicer lounges they have in the lido pool area. The sun was pretty intense, so we had to limit our time. We already see people that are toasted. Not a good way to start a vacation.

Dinner was excellent again tonight. We both had braised lamb shank. Our dinner friends had pepper-crusted New York steaks, and raved about them. The dessert of apple strudel melted in our mouths. On our way out of the dining room, we spoke to the dining room manager, Tom Grindlay, who we knew from previous trips. We complimented him on the quality of the meat, fish, and vegetables. Tom informed us that the food has been upgraded from 2008. They DO listen to the comments we leave behind afer all. In our opinion, the food has had a 100% improvement over last year's world cruise. Hope it continues.

Bill & Mary Ann

Hello Bill and Mary Ann,

We are so pleased that you are pleased with the state of the Rotterdam and the food aboard the ship. Your comments make us really itchy to be on our way to join you.

Our first world cruise meet and greet is on January 20th from 10 AM to 11:30 AM in the corner of the Crow's Nest (Tuesday). If it is not too much trouble, would you check with the Beverage Manager to confirm that Cruise Critic is on his schedule for that time and place? His office on Amsterdam was on deck 3 in the atrium. Probably it is in the same area on Rotterdam. The reservation may be in my name, Dorothy, 6192. That way we will be sure we have our spot.

Thanks so much. D

Hi Dorothy and George,

We are very jealous of you, since you get to join the WC in Los Angeles. We have to wait until NEXT January to do another one. Will you be joining us then? We did have such a good time in Cambodia, visiting Angkor Wat and helping to build another deep water well.

Have a wonderful time, all of you lucky ducks. Say hi to all the CC folks that we know, and we shall hope to see them all next year.

John and Diane

I'm enjoying travelling along with you once again - thank you for your time online. You brought along a clock and hung it on the wall, what a great idea! We always bring along a travel alarm clock, but I never thought of bringing along a regular clock for longer journeys. I learn something almost every time I log into the CC boards! We loved our experience on the Rotterdam and look forward to our next journey on her in October. Stay well!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Hi Dorothy and George,

We are very jealous of you, since you get to join the WC in Los Angeles. We have to wait until NEXT January to do another one. Will you be joining us then? We did have such a good time in Cambodia, visiting Angkor Wat and helping to build another deep water well.

Have a wonderful time, all of you lucky ducks. Say hi to all the CC folks that we know, and we shall hope to see them all next year.

John and Diane

It's cool to see you posting as I enjoyed your blog so much last year. Hopefully we will meet up on next year's Amsterdam GWV which I understand you are intending to book. There is a thread already open for this cruise. Bill and Mary Ann spoke highly of you both but said your after dinner table manners were awful!!!

Paul

Honest, Paul, it wasn't our fault! Blame Bill Fox! Just because we liked cork-forking and Baba Ganoush, it doesn't mean we're bad people. Of course, Emily Post wouldn't have joined our table. (However, it was fun having people ask to sit at our table and crew members greeting us with "Baba Ganoush" when we got off and returned to the ship at ports.)

Looking forward to meeting you in 2010 - and to having Bill and Mary Ann join us for the first segment.

When will they replace those awful loungers around the aft pools! They are dreadful and getting worse! We've experienced them on all of the ships except the Prinsendam.

We are enjoying your trip.

Archived