Changes coming to Captain Alberts blog

Colakid

As usual I read Captain Alberts blog on a daily basis as I do this HAL thread for CC'ers. This morning he announces changes coming when he returns off leave from the Veendam and moves to the Prinsendam. I know I enjoy reading his blog daily as DW and I have sailed with him in the past and look forward to sailing with him in the future. Just wondering how others feel the same as I do about his blog. He says that on some days he gets up to 2000 hits. That is great. http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/?p=1024#more-1024

Colakid

I try and read his blog every day and find it informative, interesting very worthwhile reading. His emphasis is most often on navigation and weather issues, but he also writes about happenings, some behind the scenes, on board Veendam.

I'll surely follow his blog on Prinsendam.

As usual I read Captain Alberts blog on a daily basis as I do this HAL thread for CC'ers. This morning he announces changes coming when he returns off leave from the Veendam and moves to the Prinsendam. I know I enjoy reading his blog daily as DW and I have sailed with him in the past and look forward to sailing with him in the future. Just wondering how others feel the same as I do about his blog. He says that on some days he gets up to 2000 hits. That is great. http://www.avidcruiser.com/albert/?p=1024#more-1024

Colakid

Captain Albert's blog iis very informative. It provides a glimpse of all the things that go on "behind the scenes" and contribute to the entire cruise experience. As passengers, we take these things for granted most of the time and don't realize the complexities of a cruise ship.

Seeing this concept go fleet-wide will be great.

I try to read his blog daily and have always enjoyed it. I have always been impressed that he takes the time to write each day. The longer cruises should provide him with some good material. I wonder how the transfer of his blog over to HAL will work ? Anyone know ?

A blog is only as good as the blogger. I am glad that he will be keeping his blog even if it is under the HAL umbrella. Even if all the other ships have blogs it remains to be seen how good they are and how active they are.

His blog is already on the HAL blog website. I think there is a link to it on this or another thread nearby today.

I attempted to register on the new HAL blog site. It accepted the registration and promised a password would be sent to my email. Thus far, no password has arrived. Perhaps it will come in a day or so.

The new site looks good. I think it's is a great idea that has grown out of Cpt. Albert's blog and Cpt. Mercer's blog over on the Eurodam site.

I'm looking forward to reading it.

Do other HAL captains have a blog? What about CD's? Do any have blogs? Thanks.

Capt. Jonathan Mercer started a blog from Eurodam

Captain’s Log: Dec. 31, Willemstad, Curacao

Captain Mercer | December 31, 2008 at 2:11 pm | In Captain's Log, Latest News | 3 Comments

mercer.jpgCaptain Jonathan Mercer

We are in Willemstad, Curacao, today and a beautiful day it is, too. I, like many of my associates, find entering this narrow ‘cut’ of a harbour to be one that concentrates the mind, one can almost feel the tension on the bridge when taking this ship, (or any other for that matter), into what amounts to a very narrow channel while being influenced by an extremely strong current outside the entrance, not to mention the wind.

It is a matter of heading towards the land on the eastern side of the cut and letting the current work you north; if one gets it correct, the ship should be in the centre of the fairway and pointing in the right direction. Once inside, it is a matter of slamming on the brakes, enough to stop her continuing past the berth one is intended for.

This evening we will back out, azipods being perfect for such a manoeuvre and then swing outside before heading northwest towards Fort Lauderdale for Saturday.

I have my trunks in the cabin, for it is almost time to leave the lovely ‘E’ and head home, Jeroen (and Pam) rejoin on Saturday until March, when I return.

I have thoroughly enjoyed posting on the blog and although I am not commanding the ‘E’, should I catch that elusive 20-pound trout, or break an 80 on the golf course, rest assured you will read about it. I am going to Europe, too, to see my family and spend some time over there.

I apologise for not writing more often recently, as I mentioned, paperwork and ship-matters have occupied a great deal of my time these past weeks, however, that is all but finished now. Perhaps one of my New Year resolutions should be to write more here?

I wish all of you a very happy New Year and may 2009 bring you all you wish for and more. Let us all hope that that it will be a better year and that we remain optimistic.

We will be in the Atrium at midnight, ringing in the new year with the ‘E’s’ polished bell and all of us, guests, officers and crew alike, will be thinking of friends and family while we do so.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

I wonder how the other ships' personnel feel about "having" to write a blog. Captain Albert, Mercer, and van Doenselar seemed to enjoy doing it.

Does anyone know if the other blogs will be written by the vessel's Master or by someone else?

I wonder how the other ships' personnel feel about "having" to write a blog. Captain Albert, Mercer, and van Doenselar seemed to enjoy doing it.

Does anyone know if the other blogs will be written by the vessel's Master or by someone else?

Don't know but I don't think they're going to 'make' someone do it who is not interested and there will more than likely be HAL captains who fit in the latter category!;) Got a feeling they'look for volunteers

As someone said, the Holland America blog now exists. A couple of Captain Albert's recent reports are posted. They just happen to be ones where he says the weather is glorious/ wonderful. If you've been reading him daily, you will agree he's had many postings of rough weather or wet days. He tells it like it is. I sincerely hope Holland America won't just post "look good, sound good" stuff. sorry to be cynical!

Archived