What kind of food can I bring from home on a plane ?

Sue (mom of 3 boys!)

Hi

In the past I have purchased food for my kids to eat on the plane. Items usually consist of life-savers, gum, goldfish, doritoes, candy of some sort, etc. (all prepackaged). I know we can't bring water from home, and will get some after security checkpoint, but I can't find info. on the airline web site on what food is allowed. I'd rather not purchase it past security because I don't know what will be available, and know the cost will high.

We are flying AirTran if that makes a difference.

Thanks

You can bring anything for on-board consumption except alcohol. Fellow passengers might object to a Limburger garlic sandwich, of course. :)

Seriously, don't bring glass on-board -- the powers that be might/should object to that.

Hi

In the past I have purchased food for my kids to eat on the plane. Items usually consist of life-savers, gum, goldfish, doritoes, candy of some sort, etc. (all prepackaged). I know we can't bring water from home, and will get some after security checkpoint, but I can't find info. on the airline web site on what food is allowed. I'd rather not purchase it past security because I don't know what will be available, and know the cost will high.

We are flying AirTran if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Airline you are flying makes no difference. You will find the rules regarding bringing on food at:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

You can bring on most food items; exceptions would be things such as pudding and containers of substances such as peanut butter, which are too much like liquids or gels. We always carryon food when flying with children, and have never had a problem with any of it.

Anything prepackaged and dry. No puddings, jellos and I've heard a jar of peanut butter was confiscated. They MIGHT present a problem. But doritos, cookies, crackers and the like are fine. Make sure they are in clear bags if you are bringing them in made from home packets for each child.

Sue, DH & I have taken Subway sandwiches onboard airplanes with no problems. We normally fly out very early in the morning and buy our Subways the night before to pack in our carryons. Have had no problems in the past few years.

I also pack some pkgs of Lance or other brand cheese & crackers or a can of peanuts, pretzels, etc.

As said before, as long as the item is prepackaged at the plant where the product was packaged and can not be construed as a jel or liquid, you should be good.

Even most Little Debbie snack cakes can get through security.

Dianne

We had to give up a slice of Key Lime pie bought in the key West airport - it was considered gel/liquid.
One of the rules of thumb I always apply is the advice given by Australian security screeners when the liquids rule was first applied there.

If you can pour it, spray it or smear it, it's a liquid.

At Christmas, I was a bit concerned by a near-industrial quantity of mince pies I was bringing through security and all ready with a Plan B if they were not allowed through the checkpoint. But fortunately, it was all OK.

Okay, as a Flight Att and a mom,,,here are some suggestions: 1-Jif actually makes individual creamy peanut butters, each container has 2.25 oz, so this does meet the TSA guideline (it would have to go in your clear plastic bag; 2-sandwiches made at home with cold cuts, but leave off the condiments and pick up the individual fast food style little mayo's and mustard which can go in cpg; 3-trail mix, raisins and nuts of any kind; 4-fruit, especially apples, oranges or tangerines travel very well, bananas not so well. You can buy the bags of apple slices at most grocery stores and there are also ind containers of caramel dip (which is one my pers faves). You can also bring the smaller juice boxes, as you can find some that are less than 3 ounces, and freeze them. If your children will not drink plain water, you can find powdered drink mixes in little straw like containers, there are also many sugar-free mixes available. Bagels are also good, again you can find the take out type small containers of cream cheese or other spread. Laughing Cow makes great cheese spread that comes in little triangles, which you could split into your little baggies. It can be very tempting to bring goldfish and small candies, such as M&M's, but remember that they tend to get all over the seats and floors.

Feel free to post any questions you may have about flying with children and have a great flight.

PS - Most major airports now have "Family Friendly" security checkpoints - I know Orlando and Atlanta both have them and that should help you some.

Okay, as a Flight Att and a mom,,,here are some suggestions: 1-Jif actually makes individual creamy peanut butters, each container has 2.25 oz, so this does meet the TSA guideline (it would have to go in your clear plastic bag; 2-sandwiches made at home with cold cuts, but leave off the condiments and pick up the individual fast food style little mayo's and mustard which can go in cpg; 3-trail mix, raisins and nuts of any kind; 4-fruit, especially apples, oranges or tangerines travel very well, bananas not so well. You can buy the bags of apple slices at most grocery stores and there are also ind containers of caramel dip (which is one my pers faves). You can also bring the smaller juice boxes, as you can find some that are less than 3 ounces, and freeze them. If your children will not drink plain water, you can find powdered drink mixes in little straw like containers, there are also many sugar-free mixes available. Bagels are also good, again you can find the take out type small containers of cream cheese or other spread. Laughing Cow makes great cheese spread that comes in little triangles, which you could split into your little baggies. It can be very tempting to bring goldfish and small candies, such as M&M's, but remember that they tend to get all over the seats and floors.

Feel free to post any questions you may have about flying with children and have a great flight.

PS - Most major airports now have "Family Friendly" security checkpoints - I know Orlando and Atlanta both have them and that should help you some.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Are there certain restrictions for the family security checkpoints? My kids range from 12-17 years old.

Anyone can use the family checkpoints, it's not limited by age. The purpose of them is if you think you will need some extra time you can choose that line, without feeling like you are holding up the people behind you. All US airports should have them by now as they were supposed to be in place by the Christmas holidays.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Are there certain restrictions for the family security checkpoints? My kids range from 12-17 years old.

This is great to hear! We'll be at ATL in about 14 hours and I was concerned about the time it would take my kids to get through the checkpoint. They're new to flying and well...they're kids! I didn't want everyone in line behind us getting mad.

• 1 month later...

Hey,,,how did your flight on AirTran go? And how did the snack work out for you? Hopefully, you weren't flying in the middle of the tornadoes that just hit ATL this past week,,,I have coworkers who didn't get to their layovers until 3 and 4 AM,,they probably wish they were with you and all your snacks.

You know, I just don't get TSA. I was pass riding once, out of uniform, and I had left a crosswork puzzle book in the front pocket of my security friendly laptop bag (which I've used quite a bit with no problems whatsover). Well, this big, halfback-wannbe,just went off on me,,,,even though I explained to him that I've flown with it for months, there were no cables,etc and the puzzle book was just an oversight. He just kept running this mouth to anyone who would listen, and of course, I can't say anything back or I would risk a fine,etc. This is my base airport and they are the rudest folks I've ever encountered. The saddest thing is that we should have the technology to do away with at least half of their jobs,,and do a better job at keeping us safe!

• 3 weeks later...

All the TSA people I've met recently have been super-nice. The woman at LAS shook my hand because we have the same birthday.

Last year one took away our toothpaste & shave cream because we had put them in the carryon, but didn't make a big deal about it.

One should not have to be a screamer to get the job done, but if his boss is like that, he stands a real chance of being the same way.

Steve

We always take packaged peanut butter and crackers. I know peanut butter can be spread, but there has never been a problem. (My last flight was in December 08.) We also take individual serving-sized peanuts, cookies and granola bars. I noticed yesterday that True North has individual serving bags available at Sam's. Love True North. Raisins and Craisins also come in serving-sized bags. Keep those boys happy!

Don't take pudding. I got my pudding confiscated. But, the lady said she'd probably eat it because they were allowed to, so that made me feel better. It was S'mores, my favorite!

That's surprising ... I have been told by TSA supervisors that anything confiscated at the checkpoint becomes property of the U.S. Government, and TSA agents can be disciplined and/or fired for digging into and takiing from the "tub of stuff surrendered".

We always take packaged peanut butter and crackers. I know peanut butter can be spread, but there has never been a problem. (My last flight was in December 08.) We also take individual serving-sized peanuts, cookies and granola bars. I noticed yesterday that True North has individual serving bags available at Sam's. Love True North. Raisins and Craisins also come in serving-sized bags. Keep those boys happy!

I thought that peanuts of any type were not allowed in an airplane. Has this been changed.. again???

Airplanes were made "peanut free" a few years back.. didn't they???

I thought that peanuts of any type were not allowed in an airplane. Has this been changed.. again???

Airplanes were made "peanut free" a few years back.. didn't they???

NO.

At one point, some individual airlines voluntarily became "peanut free". However, that is changing, even on the ones that became PFZ.

Archived