Diamond, Sapphire or Coral?

shipitsyna

My fiance and I are considering Princess for our honeymoon Alaska cruise. The Diamond, Sapphire and Coral all offer basically the same itinerary but either slightly different date or sailing northbound or southbound.

My question is which of these ships would be best for a couple on their honeymoon? I'm 26, he's 31. We're hoping to get a balcony or mini-suite if we can get a good enough deal. The online prices for all three look to be exactly the same.

How on earth do we choose? Is there really any difference?

And don't forget the Island Princess. It really comes down to when you need to go and which ship fits that timetable. All four ships are fantastic, but I think you'll find that most folks around here will vote for the Coral/Island Princesses. They're smaller, have less passengers... While I love the Sapphire, I'd sail on the Coral/Island anytime!

Like some of those before, if cost, ports, timetables are similar, then you're left with amenities and size. We haven't sailed Coral/Island, but we have sailed on the Dawn and Diamond. For us, it'd be a toss up. Do you have a coin handy? :)

I used to say the Coral/Island Class ships were my favorite, but after a recent second cruise on the Coral, I've decided I like the size & lay-out of the Diamond/Sapphire much better. Just seems like they are easier to figure out than the smaller ones. For a first time cruiser, I'd chose the larger Diamond/Sapphire ships, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.

I know I'm the only one with this viewpoint, but figured you should read both sides. ;)

A wonderfully appointed ship and after having been on the larger ships, our new found favorite. Plus, the gym is open 24/7. The menus were superb, but to be fair the dining room service was a bit off. Overall, we would take her over any other on the same itinerary.

Being younger, I prefer the bigger newer ships. FOr a honeymoon, I feel it provides the most impact.

I like the smaller ones for when you're more experienced as a cruiser and feel the big ships just get in the way.

That's what I think it is too - that's one of the reasons why I like the Diamond/Sapphire - it just feels younger onboard and maybe that's partly due to my age (being on the younger side of many CCers).

...We're hoping to get a balcony or mini-suite if we can get a good enough deal. The online prices for all three look to be exactly the same.

quote]

Can you take advantage of their terrific 2 for 1 offers for Alaska? That would make your upgrades much more affordable.

Can you take advantage of their terrific 2 for 1 offers for Alaska? That would make your upgrades much more affordable.

I've seen people talking about this for days. How on earth do you take advantage of this?? I'm guessing there's some special information or code or something that like 10 people received. :-)

I've been on the Diamond and the Island and preferred the Diamond. I'm on the more "mature" side (chronologically, anyway), but still like to have some late night options, which I thought the Island lacked a bit. I thought the food and service were better on Diamond, too.:)

I've seen people talking about this for days. How on earth do you take advantage of this?? I'm guessing there's some special information or code or something that like 10 people received. :-)

From what I've seen and heard it ended 12/31 and was a special e-mail that went out to past passengers. It even applied to 3rd/4th passenger rates.

I have a slight fear of crowds. When too many people are in one place it stresses me out a little, so a smaller ship is probably better for me.

Anyway, the 2 for 1 thing is for past princess cruisers. I believe it is still going on, but it doesn't apply for us.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, my husband and I are between your ages, and we would choose the Island/Coral with all else being equal. (I should caveat that I am comfortable dancing in the nightclub areas with nobody else on the dancefloor and a few scattered people watching us).

Also, if it's warm enough to be outside, I would think the sanctuary would be a romantic environment for the honeymoon.

Congratulations!!

I enjoy the larger ships for certain cruies but in Alaska I prefer the smaller ships. They can get closer to the glaciers!!! When in Alaska, for me, it's about the itinerary and scenery, not the ship.

I know we will enjoy your honeymoon cruise no matter which ship you choose. Alaska is beautiful!!!!

The Sapphire is my inlaws favorite ship. They have probably cruised all the mentioned ones and they love the Sapphire and always pick it when they go to Alaska, which is pretty much every year for the last at least 8 years. We have been on it once and are going on Sapphire again this year and are looking forward to it.

Archived