Why do some people hate cruises?

AtSea08

It seems like when it comes to cruises, people love them or hate them. I've read on the board why people are head over heels over cruises, but why do you think that some people hate cruises and refuse to go?

Because they are lame.

No really, some people just complain about everything and if you don't have a positive, adventurous attitude I could see where some things about cruising could be annoying. Like tiny pools, overcrowding (fighting over deck chairs), dinner scheduling, etc...

Some people hate them without ever having been on them; their opinion is based on rumors, preconceptions, and accumulated bits of negative feedback from others.

But just as one type of land vacation does not suit all people, a cruise vacation will not suit all people. So it's not surprising that there are people who have tried cruising and did not like it for a variety of reasons; those of strong opinion do not hesitate to share their views.

Some reasons I can think of for disliking cruises: small cabins; assigned dinner time and seating (for those who have had only had the traditional dining); too many things that they thought were included in the price were actually pay-to-play.

It seems like when it comes to cruises, people love them or hate them. I've read on the board why people are head over heels over cruises, but why do you think that some people hate cruises and refuse to go?

Why do some people hate staying on hotels?

Why do some people hate camping?

Why do some people hate (insert anything)?

We're not all alike. Not everything likes the same things. Some people find cruises too confining. Others like to have their feet on terra firma. Some like to travel without an itinerary. There are a million reasons!

We don't all have to like the same things ... You probably think it's strange that I don't like pizza or movies!

• Thanks 1

My husband has a take-it-or-leave-it attitude about cruising. We've been on 2 so far & are going on another in April. He thinks sea days are boring. He's not into the activities they have going on & doesn't like sitting around relaxing! So our next cruise wil have 4 port days instead of 3. I, on the other hand, love sea days as much as I do port days. I enjoy looking into the ocean, watching the crests, & listening to the waves. While I'm not really into the activities either, I like walking around the ship just to see what's going on ... what are people doing how are OTHER people having fun ... finding a comfy spot to sit & people watch, etc. And I love port days too! I'm addicted!

My friend was given a cruise, and she hated it. She is a control freak and didn't like the fact that she HAD to be back on the ship at a certain time. She has been offered more free cruises, but has declined them. She has been a friend for sooooooo long, that I decided to still keep her as a friend, even though she obviously has BIG issues!! ;) Can you imagine passing up a free cruise? :eek:

Edited by Sheffie

My sister-in-law didn't like the one and only cruise she went on. She didn't like having to dress up for formal night and felt uncomfortable being waited on hand and foot. Personally, I don't understand it...I love being treated like that!

My friend was given a cruise, and she hated it. She is a control freak and didn't like the fact that she HAD to be back on the ship at a certain time. She has been offered more free cruises, but has declined them.

That's JUST NOT FAIR....to be offered more free cruises when she hates them. :p

How come the people who love cruising don't get those offers?;):D:(

I have had a similar discussion with a friend of mine who has never been on a cruise and doesn't ever want to go on one. His reasoning is that he felt that he would feel "trapped" on the ship and that the inability to walk any farther than the confines of the decks (rather than on open land) would bother him.

I'm in the take it or leave it category. I view cruising as an efficient way of seeing a lot of ports in a short time. Assigned dinner times (now I only go on cruises with freestyle dining), formal nights and the occasional rough waves are not for me. We do participate in some of the activities and take in some of the shows. Those things are fun but after a few days I'm ready to do something else.

I wouldn't probably cruise just for the sake of cruising but it is a great way to visit places that would be more difficult to travel on your own. Alaska, Russia, Mediterranean, places like that. Of course, the down side is you aren't in one place for very long.

We are going to the Baltic Sea this summer (Denmark, Germany, Russia, Helsinki, Sweden). I doubt that I would travel to all those place on my own. I'm very happy doing these via cruise - no need to pack and repack and keep hopping on planes.

I also imagine it would be a great way to do a family reunion or some other big group type vacation.

Some people don't like the short time in port. They prefer to spend days/weeks in one place and really get to know it vs a quick overview, hurry up tour.

That's the situation with my closest friends. They want to get to know the area, not just sample the "tourist things" for part of a day. In the past few years, they've spent two weeks in Chile/Argentina, a week in Costa Rica, 11 days in Peru, and a week at Hudson Bay (in addition to visiting friends/family across the US).

I've been trying to get them on a cruise, but they won't even consider it. However ... he slipped on some ice on their Hudson Bay trip, and broke the top of his femur. Maybe he'll be ready for a less adventurous trip in the future.:)

I think that the excuses we hear are masks for the real reasons, which could be...."We cannot afford it!" or "We are afraid of water" (Titanic syndrome) or "We couldn't take being out of sight of land, with water all around." (fear of the unknown or fear of water)

I have even heard "I cannot swim" as an excuse to avoid a cruise.

Why does everyone have to like them?

I, for one, would never go on a ski vacation. Or go camping. The great outdoors is not my thing. Doesn't mean these aren't great vacations for those who like to do these things.

But I love a cruise -- whether it's a nice relaxing Caribbean cruise, or a European cruise with a lot of great history and being on-the-go every day.

I think that the excuses we hear are masks for the real reasons, which could be...."We cannot afford it!" or "We are afraid of water" (Titanic syndrome) or "We couldn't take being out of sight of land, with water all around." (fear of the unknown or fear of water)

I have even heard "I cannot swim" as an excuse to avoid a cruise.

I beg to differ. I enjoyed my cruise but see it as a vacation- not travel. A few hours in a port city with 5-10,000 other cruisers does not give you any more than the smallest taste of a country. I can afford it- we are booked on our second. I adore the water, lived on a tiny island for 4 years, and have spent hours and hours on a tiny boat out of sight of land. I have no fear of the unknown- my motto when traveling is that it is impossible to be lost if you aren't trying to go someplace. My opinion is still out on cruising- I love the convenience, I love the chance to sit by a window, or this time on my balcony and read while my kids have the opportunity to be active, I am sure we will enjoy our outings on land. But...I am still not sure that cruising is the way to go for me. And I'm sure when I was younger I would not have enjoyed it since I really like wandering around in strange places without an itinerary and without being surround by thousands of other people.

I love cruises, but I would never give up other types of vacations and exclusively cruise.

Ski weeks in the western US or Canada are fabulous for us, and we've leaving on one a week from today.

Last year we took a wonderful trip through the Copper Canyon in Mexico, which we could not have reached cruising. And there are lots of other places I want to visit that aren't cruisable.

I can think of manyunderstandable reasons (not excuses) that people don't want to cruise:

Seasickness

Wanting to stay longer in one place and really get the feel of it.

Liking to find different restaurants that serve the food of the place they're visiting

Wanting to see places a cruise doesn't go

My father used to say that if we all liked the same things, everyone would ba driving a black Model T Ford! I guess the same thing applies to travel.

My SIL and BIL both in their early 50's went on their first cruise to Alaska in July. They said they liked it at the time, but on Christmas Eve when my DH asked his sister where they were going on their next cruise they both got a funny look on their faces. It turns out they didn't like it at all. He got seasick, and she didn't have enough time in ports. In addition she kept pushing the limits on shore time, and he's a worrier so there was constant conflict between them with her wanting more time and him worrying about missing the ship. Cruising is just not for them.

I don't think everyone has to like cruising. The reason why I asked why some people don't like cruises is that it seems like cruise enthusiasts kind of put down people who don't like cruises, or answer honestly that they did not like the cruise they went on. Its almost like when someone gets back from a cruise they are expected to gush over how wonderful it was just because that is the norm. It seems like people who like cruises like to put down the cruise dislike group for whatever reason they give for not liking a cruise. For example, they are called complainers, or picky, or can't afford the trip when in fact maybe they honestly didn't like the experience and are not making up excuses. Its almost like its not okay to tell someone you didn't like your cruise vacation.

• Like 1

There's some good truth in there.

Also, as much as there are people in this forum who have had terrific experiences, it is certain that there have been some people who have had bad food, creepy porters, injuries caused by negligence, lost luggage--- all in one nice little bundle.

And that's one way someone can get pretty soured on a cruise. Almost any other vacation other than a cruise, if you don't like the service you can pack your stuff and walk across the street to their competitor. On a cruise if things go bad and you have trouble getting it fixed, you have almost no recourse.