Rants and Raves...

footzz

My biggest pet peeve is when people come on the boards and take things so personal-they over react to what is being said. They take it like it is a personal attack against them or their family. For example, saying anything about the people in Jamaica...and the drug pushers or pushy salespeople. Some people have a fit if you mention anything negative about this. I call this being informed and aware of what might/might not occur.

But for the most part, these boards are fabulous! I am so indebted to almost every single member of these boards for making me feel like a pro cruiser before my first cruise.

All people need to realize we all have our own opinions....and we should be able to agree to disagree.

They are my opinions, not yours.

Great opinion and response, simply stated.:D

• 4 months later...

One just came to me and I could not stand it.

Almost everyone rates the food on the cruise in their review which I really appreciate. And if there are negative comments, always some will come along and say - Any food that I don't have to shop for, cook or clean up after is great! Well, duuuuhhh, Taco Bell and McDonalds meet those requirements. On a cruise most of us are looking for a bit more.

OK, I feel better now.

"Convince me to sail *** " "Tell me everything about *** "

I'm not going to try to convince anyone to sail any particular line, especially if it's one that I really prefer. First of all, they might end up booking my "favorite" cabin, and second if things don't go well on their cruise, guess who's to blame?

As far as the "Tell me everything about" - that's what the "search" function is for, so that people can search out a topic and read all about it. Most topics get re-hashed a number of times, so there are lots of posts the OP can look at.

Sigh, I feel much better now.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

In defense of CC members, most people are very nice. When I first came to use the internet for travel information, I was quite upset to see how posters on some other boards were rude or very incredibly rude. At some point I realized that digging through all of the garbage was not worth it. That is when I decided to stick with CC.

In another area I find that people who cruise often usually find a cruiseline or ship whose style fits their lifestyle. Now that my favourite ship is no longer available, I am looking for that fit elsewhere but many people give me a hard time because it doesn't include their favorite.

Fran

I can answer for myself why I wouldnt review any cruise, the flamers on CC. If you are not raving over the cruise, and pointing out anything you didn't like you are attacked. Your opinion is not valid. I have also seen folks who will pull a link to a review, just to attack it when it is in the review section, like hahahahha, this person was so awful not liking this and that, they need to change their attitude.

Been there, done that, and agree I would not post a full review!;) Our first cruise after I discovered CC was too soon after to learn much about the site. I posted a review without calling the fire dept. first and was severely burned.:( I mentioned that the ship not only charged a lot more for beer than the ship (different line) the year before but also had a higher added "tip". You would have thought I was a 'robber baron' from a prior century before I was advised to "choose a ddifferent type vacation":eek:

Our last cruise I read the cruiseline thread regularly and almost cancelled! I never met any of the type people I almost cancelled for, and had a great time.

The posts that irritate me the most are the ones regarding travel agents. They usually starts with the "what should I expect my Ta to give me, how much do they make, I want some of their pay etc

Or the famous, " I used a TA once and they sucked. Now I think they are useless"

Its nobody's business what they make. No one should expect them to give some of their pay and if they give you a gift thats wonderful but shouldnt be expected!

As for the people who used a TA that was terrible, I feel for them but they shouldnt paint all TA's with the same brush. You would wish you had one to work for you in the event something very bad happens.

I was stuck in Europe when September 11 happened.I was at Heathrow for my flight home. My TA had me paged at the airport and she took care of all the necessary arrangements to get a room for me for extra days, my flight home and kept me posted about everything. Some people may love to sit on hold calling the airlines etc but not me.

People like those described above make me wonder do they ask their doctor, lawyer, mechanic etc etc to give them a deal or buy them a gift? Do they give some of their paycheck back to people they come across in their line of work? What would they say if the TA asked them what they make?

[ Misquoted :D ] ..Some people ... come on these boards and say something retarded like .......TROLLS![ misquoted ;) ]

I am going to tell you what it is I dislike on Cruise Critics...;)

I do NOT like it when cute sweet lovable trolls are likened to some of the ruder posters who post on these boards, its VERY unfair to Trolls.

%C2%A9Silke_Janas_Schloesser_Trolls_with_a_faery%C2%A9.jpg They do not behave in the same way to us bloggers on here.

blog_troll.jpg

The "how-do-I get-away-with" threads just kill me.

-smuggling booze (sad, just sad)

-getting free upgrades or price reductions

-can I wear "nice" shorts or "fancy" flip-flops (never have I seen a dress code distinguish between "fancy" and "not fancy" anything)

-avoid paying gratuities

What irritates me is that a few people here simply can't tolerate any opinion, given by anybody at anytime that doesn't agree with their own opinion on any given subject. For pete's sake! An opinion is an opinion. Just because it doesn't match yours doesn't give you license to say that it's a stupid opinion.

But the irritations on the boards here, as far as I'm concerned, are few and far between. :)

OP asked what we love as well as hate. I'll opt for the former.

As a green, wet behind the ears, newbie - and still not overly experienced - I asked a lot of those questions that I now know get asked over and over and over. And what I loved was the helpfulness of people on CC.

Whether it has had to do with ports of call or what to pack or ideas about traveling with my much older and disabled husband I have been given a wealth of information which has been invaluable.

I can answer for myself why I wouldnt review any cruise, the flamers on CC. If you are not raving over the cruise, and pointing out anything you didn't like you are attacked. Your opinion is not valid. I have also seen folks who will pull a link to a review, just to attack it when it is in the review section, like hahahahha, this person was so awful not liking this and that, they need to change their attitude.

My opinions are my own, and they should be valid but they aren't on this forum who thinks popcorn threads and laughing at others is good entertainment. There is a thread going now on RCL laughing at a review. Why subject yourself to this? I wasnt too thrilled with my last cruise, but if I say a word, folks say get a life and other personal attacks. When you already know this place lots are not nice and think attacking is fun?? Why would I post a review...

That really is too bad....as I would have been more than happy to read your review.

When my husband and I decided a year or so ago to spend our 10th wedding anniversary on a cruise....I have beeen on CC everyday reading reviews. Not knowing which line to choose...reading the reviews helped us make up our minds.

Even the bad reviews didn't bother me...as I have never experienced a land based complaint free vacation!

I always take the reviews with a grain of salt...but still appreciate the time and effort the poster takes in writing about their experiences.

Maybe a poster really did have a terrible time...and maybe another had nothing but praise. I usually don't comment either way...unless it's to ask a question.

There used to be many more reviews in the board sections...but now they are few and far between. Now I spend even more time in the Member Review section...as I still love reading all the experiences.

Maybe a solution to someone hesitant to post their review here on the boards...may be to ask the moderators to lock the thread...so that no comments can be made.

If that would make it easier for someone to share their cruise...knowing that they won't get flamed..maybe more would do it.

NCL Gem 2011!

When someone posts that they just got off so & so cruise ship & here is the review....since I love to read reviews...I'm disappointed a lot when it's just a few paragraphs...with a 'to be continued' disclaimer.

Sometimes it's a long time in between posts and I lose track..and miss most of it.

My wish would be that the thread wouldn't be started...unless the entire review was ready to go.

This of course doesn't apply to the posters on live threads...just the ones who are already home.

Please don't make us wait for the entire review! :)

NCL Gem 2011!

The "how-do-I get-away-with" threads just kill me.

-smuggling booze (sad, just sad)

-getting free upgrades or price reductions

-can I wear "nice" shorts or "fancy" flip-flops (never have I seen a dress code distinguish between "fancy" and "not fancy" anything)

-avoid paying gratuities

cruzeluver; I'm not sure why getting a price reduction falls into the category of "how-do-I-get-away-with" something?! :confused: It's being a smart consumer IMHO. ;)

More people need to use the search feature. I get annoyed when I see the same questions asked over and over again... passports, how early can I can I get on the ship, rum runner, salt water pool, smoking allowed, etc......

All have been asked and answered a million times. It would take longer to post it and waite for an answer than to spend a minute doing a search. I think some people just feel the need to add to thier post count... as if a prize is given. It just crowds this useful site with unnecessary traffic.

This is my little irritation....

When someone begins a thread saying....

I'm too lazy to look this up!

not just one person has done this, but way too many.

Let me get this straight....

you want me to spend MY time giving you the answer that YOU are too lazy to find regarding your cruise???

I just ignore those posts.

I love helping others ....but not those who are capable of helping themselves but refuse to!

Yeaahh but Search functions are sooo difficult to use

-if you can't even figure out what key words to submit.

Key Words?

What the heck is that?

Do I have to do a locksmith course?

Oh don't tell me! :cool:

More people need to use the search feature. I get annoyed when I see the same questions asked over and over again... passports, how early can I can I get on the ship, rum runner, salt water pool, smoking allowed, etc......

All have been asked and answered a million times. It would take longer to post it and waite for an answer than to spend a minute doing a search. I think some people just feel the need to add to thier post count... as if a prize is given. It just crowds this useful site with unnecessary traffic.

And the site receives new members every day and there are people cruising for the first time every day. If you don't want to help them (maybe they don't know how to use the search function. Maybe they did and still didn't get the answer they were looking for) then............

move right along and ignore them. Others love to help newbies figure it out and direct them to more resources. I don't know of anyone who wants to increase their post count for no reason. There is no reward here for doing that.

I wholeheartedly agree, but sometimes the search feature isn't working or is too convoluted to use. I know, because I've tried and gotten nowhere at times even though I consider myself pretty savvy about such things.

Posted by I'm On Holiday:"cruzeluver; I'm not sure why getting a price reduction falls into the category of "how-do-I-get-away-with" something?! :confused: It's being a smart consumer IMHO. ;)"

Sorry, and I agree. Should have been more specific. It bugs me when folks are well aware that they are past the cut-off for price reductions, or that a lower price is for new bookings only, but expect an exception to the policy to be made for them.

While many of the things posted annoy me, a PET peeve would be AFT. People who talk about booking a cabin on the AFT or how they sailed in a suite on the AFT, there is no THE AFT there is THE STERN. Aft is a direction. It would be like saying I had a cabin on the Left or the Right in [this case Port and Starboard] You notice they don't say I had one of the sought after Starboard cabins.

That and Stewart in place of steward.

Small irritating things. Like nails on a blackboard.

ILoveScotland,

I do agree that it is not allways as simple as it should be to use the search feature. I get frustrated when I think my question is straight foward and my search results are a convoluted mess. I have also searched for the same thing more than once and gotten different responses. I had a question about a specific room. I could not find my ans. with a search so I asked in a post. I got conflicting responses. I searched the same q. about a month later and got other posts that were several months old and should have appeared in my 1st search. After all that I still have conflicting info....lol.

It just seems that some people never use the feature and thier are same posts repeated over and over.

"Convince me to sail *** " "Tell me everything about *** "

I'm not going to try to convince anyone to sail any particular line, especially if it's one that I really prefer. First of all, they might end up booking my "favorite" cabin, and second if things don't go well on their cruise, guess who's to blame?

As far as the "Tell me everything about" - that's what the "search" function is for, so that people can search out a topic and read all about it. Most topics get re-hashed a number of times, so there are lots of posts the OP can look at.

Sigh, I feel much better now.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Yep, I agree. I do defend their right to ask those questions but I do feel the same.

Oh yeah, how about

Anyone ever sailed on XXXX Cruise line or XXXX ship? Tell me all about it.

Well, duuuhhhh, I betcha someone has sailed on that line or ship or it would not longer be in business.:)

Also concerning the search function, I usually mention that I tried search and what I found if possible so that folks know what information I already have and can provide further incite. I did a search to find this thread.;)

And the site receives new members every day and there are people cruising for the first time every day. If you don't want to help them (maybe they don't know how to use the search function. Maybe they did and still didn't get the answer they were looking for) then............

move right along and ignore them. Others love to help newbies figure it out and direct them to more resources. I don't know of anyone who wants to increase their post count for no reason. There is no reward here for doing that.

I wholeheartedly agree. Move along if the repeat question irritates you. I have tried the search function and you don't always get what you want. What is the harm in posting your question, even if it's been asked before--let's face it, probably every question has been asked and answered before at one time or another.

Archived