What cut backs?

stacyeb

I will be going on a cruise in April with my in laws. It has taken us a few years to get them aboard. We are always gushing over Royal's cruises. But while reading this forum I am seeing that their have been cut backs. Can someone list them out so I don't brag about something Royal offers to my inlaws that is no longer offered. I look like an idiot enough with them, I don't want to give it anymore fuel.

You should be telling them they will have a wonderful time, with excellent staff and service. They can look forward to great production shows, and lots of activities for all ages.

I'm not sure "cut backs" would even affect their cruising experience if this is their first time with you on RCI.

Go and enjoy every minute!

Good Morning stacyeb:)

I think melbur gave an excellent way to handle your situation. For those of us who cruise often... sometimes we are surprised by changes... and sometimes things are added :D If you stick with the "basics" that RCCL is know for... like their excellent staff, service, great shows, beautiful ships... think you will not have "over-sold" and yet there will be lots left for a new cruiser to say "wow" about.

Enjoy... it is always fun to see a ship through someones eyes who hasn't cruised before.

Dont brag to them about the pillow chocolates at night. I've read that it's not 100% every ship but only the larger suites are getting them. I know it's a small thing but I know I've often mentioned getting them to other non cruisers. Turn down service is still pretty neat though. :) If they happen to get the chocolates then all the better! :D

I've read here on CC that as of Jan.1st RC no longer has the Vitality (used to be the ship shape with SS$) program where you would get reward disks for participating in activities which could be used to get cruise wear and items at redemption time.

Dont brag to them about the pillow chocolates at night. I've read that it's not 100% every ship but only the larger suites are getting them. I know it's a small thing but I know I've often mentioned getting them to other non cruisers. Turn down service is still pretty neat though. :) If they happen to get the chocolates then all the better! :D

I've read here on CC that as of Jan.1st RC no longer has the Vitality (used to be the ship shape with SS$) program where you would get reward disks for participating in activities which could be used to get cruise wear and items at redemption time.

Just returned yesterday from the Jewel and there were no chocolates on the pillow which really didn't affect us at all. We really don't need the extra calories anyway!!

They have indeed stopped giving Vitality dollars but again that is such a small price to pay for the wonderdful service we receive.

The overall quality product of RCCL is IMHO unbeatable!! I think I would stick to the basics and not gush too much then they will be able to see for themselves what a fabulous treat they are experiencing while on their cruise!!

Good luck and happy sailing!!

You should be telling them they will have a wonderful time, with excellent staff and service. They can look forward to great production shows, and lots of activities for all ages.

I'm not sure "cut backs" would even affect their cruising experience if this is their first time with you on RCI.

Go and enjoy every minute!

I agree. Nothing you would miss if you've never had it. Some examples:

Buffet has gone from cafeteria trays handed to you by a person to giant plates to regular large plates.

Johnny Rockets used to be free.

Midnight buffets

Less lunch options in the main dining room, not even open on port days

Having to keep track of your pool towels

Buffet has gone from cafeteria trays handed to you by a person to giant plates to regular large plates.

Midnight buffets

Sorry to change direction here........ but why should we care if there are trays in the Windjammer???? I see alot of whinning about things AND some of them have some merit (not much IMHO)...... but trays????????????????? some people must just need to complain!!

I just returned from VOS on the 11th (it seems like years ago now...LOL). I found the service in the Windjammer as well as the dining room to be exceptional. It might be just that we got lucky, but I doubt it. Our cabin attendant was phenomenal as well.

There are no more chocolates on the pillows, but who needs them? There is no more midnight buffet, but once again, did anyone really need to an additional meal at midnight??? There was no gift for returning cruisers, but who needs another photo frame of tote bag?

There WERE wonderful moments on board, great weather, several beautiful Caribbean sunsets, and interesting table mates.

Enjoy your cruise!

Barb

Since this is their 1st cruise, don't tell them ANYTHING! Let them discover the joys of cruising on their own--that's 1/2 the fun!

Yes, there have been "cut-backs", but THEY won't notice, since they've never experienced the past luxuries of a cruise!

They won't get 4-5 star dining. But, they've never had that on a ship, so they won't miss it.

That's about the only major change!

You should warn them rather than not saying anything. They should not be deceived. Just dont wait and let them find out for themselves. You would want to know.

The cutbacks are going to be very noticeable. They get to pay $15 for steaks on some of their ships, late room service is also $4, JR price has been increased to $5, the burgers used to be included. No lunch in the mdr on port days, on sea days, same menu each time. Juices are not extra except for breakfast. The towel policy is really annoying.

Hopefully they are not hungry late at night. Most options have been eliminated especially the buffets and gourmet bites.

RCI is adding nothing, they are providing as little as they can get away with.

RCI's product has been brought down to an almost unaccectable level and they continue to cut every chance they get.

Did they really eliminate the gift for returning passengers? No more vitality tokens, are the ones I have left over from last month now just a souvenir? I just booked an Alaskan cruise for May and if RCl really has cut out all the things mentioned in this thread I'll be more then annoyed, I'll look elsewhere to spend my cruising dollars.

Did they really eliminate the gift for returning passengers?

They were still giving out the baseball caps as of our 11/30/08 cruise. I have quite an impressive collection. Although I never wear them. Maybe I'll put them on ebay. :)

I will be going on a cruise in April with my in laws. It has taken us a few years to get them aboard. We are always gushing over Royal's cruises. But while reading this forum I am seeing that their have been cut backs. Can someone list them out so I don't brag about something Royal offers to my inlaws that is no longer offered. I look like an idiot enough with them, I don't want to give it anymore fuel.

I was going to ask "What ship" but see from your post on another thread it is the Navigator OTS. You will love this ship! We sailed her last April and can't wait to return again this April. The NOTS is simply beautiful and we actually prefer it somewhat over the Independence OTS which we sailed in November.

We had chocolates on our pillows on both cruises and we did get the baseball caps as C&A gifts on the IOTS.

The towel policy on the NOTS is different than that of the IOTS and other freedom class ships. On the NOTS, the pool towels are merely pool towels - there for you to use. You just pick up however many you need poolside. On the IOTS, the pool towels are the Royal Caribbean logo towels. While these towels were slightly larger, we found it somewhat of a nuisance that you had to stand in line poolside and use your Sea Pass to get them (and make sure you checked them back in when you were done to avoid being charged for the towels).

On the NOTS, tickets were NOT distributed to the Ice Shows - you just showed up at the performance and got seats on a first come basis. On the IOTS, the tickets for all shows were given out the morning of our 2nd day until they ran out of tickets. Many families took more tickets than they needed and for multiple shows. We only got to see a show because one of our tablemates gave us tickets for an afternoon show his family decided to skip. I couldn't help but notice empty seats scattered around the venue. It was clear that many others with tickets didn't show and I wondered how many other people would have loved the opportunity to fill those seats.

If the NOTS changes to where you need tickets, it will be posted in the Compass. Do try to get to see the ice show - I think all of you will really enjoy it.

While still for the most part good, we found the food and the service better on the NOTS than on the IOTS. In all fairness, it was IOTS first 6 night cruise since arriving from Europe so that may have played a part in some service issues. But if the food on the IOTS is indicative of the offerings fleet wide, I am afraid the food is on the decline.

No midnight buffet but I believe both of them had a pool party buffet one night. We didn't attend so can't tell you how it was. But you will have the Cafe Promenade - it's open 24 hours and offers a nice selection of cookies, pizza, cookies, sandwiches, cookies, wraps, cookies, pastries, etc. - and it's free. Oh, did I mention cookies?

The $15 steak was not on the IOTS menu, just the regular free steak.

Hopefully, we will still get the C&A coupon books come April. The ones we got on IOTS had coupons for free Johnny Rockets, 2 for 1 drinks, free Bingo jackpot card, and more.

Now, if there is one thing you can possibly swing to make this cruise truly special, I recommend the Grand Romance package. You get a whole lot for $200 (or 15,000 Royal Points :D). We splurged for this on IOTS and it was well worth it! Two new RC robes (ours to keep) and fresh flowers in our stateroom upon arrival. When we returned after the Muster Drill, a chilled bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were there for us to enjoy during sailaway. A tray of elegant canapés (including pate, cavier, salmon) and a tray of fancy dessert samplings was delivered to our room on two formal evenings. The special "Breakfast in Bed" was fancier and offered a more extended menu than the regular room service - including our choice of Mimosas or Bloody Marys. I discovered cavier really went well with my scrambled eggs! Oh, and it included a silver-framed, (your choice) 8" x 10" keepsake portrait.

What is the towel policy? We are on the VOS 2/15 cruise.
It used to be that you picked up towels by the pool and no one really kept track of how many you had. Now, you get one per person in your room, and they keep track of how many you have and you could get charged for missing ones.

Sorry to change direction here........ but why should we care if there are trays in the Windjammer???? I see alot of whinning about things AND some of them have some merit (not much IMHO)...... but trays????????????????? some people must just need to complain!!
I'm not sure anyone ever really complained much, it was just an example of a cut back that you wouldn't notice if you never experienced it. It did make it easier to deal with your meal, though. Especially since you got a separate salad plate and had a place to put a soup bowl.

They were still giving out the baseball caps as of our 11/30/08 cruise. I have quite an impressive collection. Although I never wear them. Maybe I'll put them on ebay. :)
If you read all the posts in this thread it states as of Jan 1 2009................

If they never cruised RCCL before, they shouldn't be disappointed!! I took a cruise last week and the only thing I noticed was no chocolates in the evening and an extra charge for late night room service

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Past Cruises

1/09 Majesty of the Seas

11/08 Destiny

6/08 Westerdam

4/08 Victory

1/08 Fascination

11/07 Valor

6/07 Imagination

6/06 Imagination

Midnight buffets

Someone that needs a tray in the dinning room should just bring their own shovel and wheelbarrel.

We received the hats on our January 9-19 cruise on Jewel.

Archived