jeans

New KAJO

Hi there,

We are leaving on the Azamara Quest soon.

I saw on the site that jeans are not allowed in the dining room and the specialty restaurants. Is this correct ?

I am used to wear jeans and a nice shirt at night. I've had no problems with it on other cruises before. Is this really not done on azamara ?

Do you see lots of people wearing suits on a Azamara cruise ? Do you see any ? If someone could give some additional info about the dresscode on board, it should be more than welcome !

thanks in advance !

Kajo

If you just can't bring yourself to take off the jeans and wear khakis for a few hours while in the dining room, I'd suggest you find another cruise line or eat at the buffet. The dress code is casual, no jeans in the dining rooms. AZ is not like other cruiselines. They are a tad classier.

Hi there,

We are leaving on the Azamara Quest soon.

I saw on the site that jeans are not allowed in the dining room and the specialty restaurants. Is this correct ?

I am used to wear jeans and a nice shirt at night. I've had no problems with it on other cruises before. Is this really not done on azamara ?

Do you see lots of people wearing suits on a Azamara cruise ? Do you see any ? If someone could give some additional info about the dresscode on board, it should be more than welcome !

thanks in advance !

Kajo

Country club causal is the dress attire and like is stated in the main dining room, no jeans.

Would anyone out there like to clarify what is country club casual. I understand the jeans ban in the dining rooms and it would be my guess is that khaki or twill pants would be acceptable with a nice top (and for men, khakies and a polo). My confusion lies in the fact that as a former New Yorker and now a Coloradan, country club casual has two different meanings. Many thanks!

Appropriate attire onboard Azamara Cruises is always resort casual; there aren't any scheduled formal nights. However, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. No bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, shorts, or jeans are allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Additionally, due to the recommended attire for Azamara, no tuxedo rentals will be available onboard.

Example of Resort Casual Attire:

Women:

• Sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants.

• Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Men:

• Sportswear, golf shirts, pants, sportcoat (if desired, but not required)

• Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Seems pretty much self-explanatory.

smooth sailing...

thanks in advance !

Kajo

On our cruise (Quest/Med) some men wore suits or sports jackets but the majority wore buttoned long & short sleeve shirts with dress pants or khaki's in the dining rooms. A few men wore polo shirts.

People tended to be more 'dressed up' than 'casual' in the evenings...much along the lines of what people would wear on 'informal' or 'semi-formal' evenings on other lines (or whatever the dress code is between 'casual' and 'formal'?)

Thanks everyone. I now can direct myself to begin gathering some nice dual purpose slacks. Being the cruise is in April, I figure the weather will be cool, so long sleeves would be more appropriate? Also, is the pool heated? After some research, it sounds like it will be tool cool to be basking outside in the sun with just a bathing suit.

Thanks everyone. I now can direct myself to begin gathering some nice dual purpose slacks. Being the cruise is in April, I figure the weather will be cool, so long sleeves would be more appropriate? Also, is the pool heated? After some research, it sounds like it will be tool cool to be basking outside in the sun with just a bathing suit.

After 30 cruise I have never seen one with a heated pool. Enjoy your cruise...We do....:)

I found that the women tended to dress up and the men didn't. We saw very few suits on the Journey Panama Canal trip, although there were quite a few sportcoats on the cooler nights (there were a few). And on Christmas and New Year's Eve, almost everybody stepped it up a notch.

Would anyone out there like to clarify what is country club casual. I understand the jeans ban in the dining rooms and it would be my guess is that khaki or twill pants would be acceptable with a nice top (and for men, khakies and a polo). My confusion lies in the fact that as a former New Yorker and now a Coloradan, country club casual has two different meanings. Many thanks!

If different US states have different definitions, it is understandable that it is even more confusing for folk from other countries and cultures. Definitions such as "Sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants" are really no more help. [if I wanted to be really difficult, "pants" are items of male underwear in the UK and "sportswear" is what I would wear to play tennis.]

From experience, the itinery and time of year also have a bearing on what people actually wear - Transatlantic in December "informal" can mean dressy cocktail-wear. So I think that it is understandable that people ask for clarification.

Sue

Sue's point is a good one. My father used to wear kahkis when he was in the army. This just reminds me of a thread I started last year about language differences. Here it is - might be fun to hear other peoples experiences.

'I have enjoyed reading all of the posts on the CC board, but it has bought home to me that the US and the UK are 'two nations divided by a common language'. I have had to ask for clarifaction on a couple of thing such as what are Capris and are pumps high heeled shoes. I'm sure that this works both ways and Americans will fail to understand the UK English meaning of some words.

I read an article recently where an American marketing executive working in London was at great pains to make clear the dress code for an important function. It was stated that ladies were not allowed to wear pants. This caused great hilarity as in the UK pants mean underwear not trousers.

Has anyone got any examples of the differences?'

Lynda

A jumper here is a dress. Your jumpers are sweaters, aren't they?

Yes, jumpers are sweaters in the UK.

Lynda, had the same experience when working in the UK for Perot Systems. When Ross Perot returned to the helm, he ordered that no female employee should wear pants. We, therefore, felt at liberty to continue to wear trousers to work but mutually agreed that noone had the right to dictate about our underwear.

With so much US TV and films on UK screens, my husband and I always considered ourselves to be bilingual until one trip to Boston, MA where he developed blisters on his heels. A trip to the shop for "plasters" turned into a farce of [unsuccessful] mime until "bandaid" finally came to mind.

It is always the simplest of things that cause problems. When really stuck, turn to a Canadian. They make great translators!

Sue

If you just can't bring yourself to take off the jeans and wear khakis for a few hours while in the dining room, I'd suggest you find another cruise line or eat at the buffet. The dress code is casual, no jeans in the dining rooms. AZ is not like other cruiselines. They are a tad classier.

It is hilarious and quite stupid that a pair of $19 Dockers khakis is considered 'classy' and a $300 pair of Armani jeans is not. What a strange world we live in.

It is hilarious and quite stupid that a pair of $19 Dockers khakis is considered 'classy' and a $300 pair of Armani jeans is not. What a strange world we live in.

Floris, normally I agree with you, but I saw a photo in the newspaper yesterday of $1500 designer jeans with a big frayed hole over the right knee and some smaller rips on the left thigh. A big price tag doesn't always equal class! :)

Lisa

Floris, normally I agree with you, but I saw a photo in the newspaper yesterday of $1500 designer jeans with a big frayed hole over the right knee and some smaller rips on the left thigh. A big price tag doesn't always equal class! :)

Lisa

Hi Lisa !

$ 1,500 designer jeans with holes in them ? Wow, those people must have money to burn ! In this economy, I didnt think there were too many of them left !

I can sell them a couple of pair for a LOT less. Heck, I will even buy new ones, and PUT holes in them myself :)

The following photo is from a SeaDream cruise and shows appropriate resort casual wear. Note that the man on the right is wearing a fully buttoned shirt, tucked in, not a T-shirt.

http://gallery.me.com/cruisingisyoga#100054/P1040631&bgcolor=black

Take a look of the whole gallery.

http://gallery.me.com/cruisingisyoga#100054&sel=300

Hi Lisa !

$ 1,500 designer jeans with holes in them ? Wow, those people must have money to burn ! In this economy, I didnt think there were too many of them left !

I can sell them a couple of pair for a LOT less. Heck, I will even buy new ones, and PUT holes in them myself :)

You could be on to a real money-maker there, Andy! Should we go into partnership? :D

Lisa

The following photo is from a SeaDream cruise and shows appropriate resort casual wear. Note that the man on the right is wearing a fully buttoned shirt, tucked in, not a T-shirt.

http://gallery.me.com/cruisingisyoga#100054/P1040631&bgcolor=black

Take a look of the whole gallery.

http://gallery.me.com/cruisingisyoga#100054&sel=300

Great photos of everything else. Very educating and explanatory.

Well it all depends. Who would have ever thought jeans would be something someone would be prepared to spend $300 on.:eek:

Buy the way, where can I pick-up a pair of those $19 Dockers?;)

Well it all depends. Who would have ever thought jeans would be something someone would be prepared to spend $300 on.:eek:

Buy the way, where can I pick-up a pair of those $19 Dockers?;)

Yes, really. Mine cost almost $90.00.

Lisa

If these be the new standards, I have a 15 year old tweed jacket with frayed elbows...I wonder?;):):eek:

My husband and I cruise all the time..in fact we will have 3 cruises booked on A for 2009 (cant beat the prices) if anyone wants to go with us (May 1, August 9 and we are deciding on December) ..and he never brings a jacket on board..if its cool he will take sweaters..I have found people look very nice and the stories I see about underdressing in the dining room at night is nothing I have ever seen myself!

Jancruz1

• 2 weeks later...

...I am used to wear jeans and a nice shirt at night. I've had no problems with it on other cruises before. Is this really not done on azamara ?

thanks in advance !

Kajo

I am with you on this jeans in the dining room thing.

I think the problem may be a generational one. Those on Azamara who are over 60 may be less tolerant of jeans in a dining room than those of us who are younger. (btw, I'm almost 50, so I'm no spring chicken)

I see no problem with wearing a nice button shirt and dark, tear-free, jeans to the dining room for men, and dark trouser type jeans and a blouse for women. I saw many folks wearing colored denim on our AZ Journey Panama sailing (Jan. 3) in the dining room. Why would white, or red or brown denim be more acceptable than dark blue? (I saw one man wearing shorts at dinner in Aqualina. It made me jealous that he was comfortable enough to ignore convention and it had no bearing on my enjoyment if dinner.)

This is your vacation. The dress code is stated as country club casual. Well, in Colorado we allow nice jeans in our country clubs! Wear what you feel is appropriate.

I DO draw the line at pajama bottoms, sweat pants, short shorts, torn old jeans, and micro-mini dresses. Am I being a dining room snob for this? Maybe to some, but what one wears to dinner is less important than how one comports oneself.

Have a great cruise. I'm bringing my trouser jeans on our next cruise. Feel free to mock me behind my back, or to my face if you've got the cojones! ;)

Archived