currency/wine

On the med cruise we will be in turkey and croatia each for one day in one port. Can we get by with using credit cards there or will we have to have local currency.

We have pre-paid for our trip to ephesus--could we tip the guide in euros or will we have to get local money?? In Dubrovnik, can we use credit cards to pay for the Wall Walk or will they only take local currency.

I imagine restaurants and stores will take credit cards, but I am not sure where I have to have local money. It is hard to know how much to get for such a short stay and converting leftover money back to euros is a double whammy on conversion fees.

Wine issue--Folks have talked about taking your own wine on board--Is there a place in Civi that we pass on the way from the train to the port that sells wine? Should we pick up some in Rome before heading to the port?

On the med cruise we will be in turkey and croatia each for one day in one port. Can we get by with using credit cards there or will we have to have local currency.

We have pre-paid for our trip to ephesus--could we tip the guide in euros or will we have to get local money?? In Dubrovnik, can we use credit cards to pay for the Wall Walk or will they only take local currency.

I imagine restaurants and stores will take credit cards, but I am not sure where I have to have local money. It is hard to know how much to get for such a short stay and converting leftover money back to euros is a double whammy on conversion fees.

Wine issue--Folks have talked about taking your own wine on board--Is there a place in Civi that we pass on the way from the train to the port that sells wine? Should we pick up some in Rome before heading to the port?

The city wall walk is 50 kuna, 10 USD or 8 Euros payable in cash only. However you may have a problem trying to use large demonations as you might get your change back in Kunas. They do not accept credit cards on the city walls, nor do many of the museums. There are several ATM's located on the Stradun, our main promenade and you can obtain small amounts of local currency.

Ephesus is in Turkey, and Turkey has it's own currency--not Euros. But I think it would be ok to tip your guide in Euros if you want. They are easy to exchange.

We got some Turkish lira as we were in Turkey a couple of days prior to the cruise and definitely needed it for taxis and shopping. A lot of the smaller shops and restaurants don't take credit cards there. If you know that you aren't going to buy anything there, I think you could get buy without exchanging money though.

The city wall walk is 50 kuna, 10 USD or 8 Euros payable in cash only. However you may have a problem trying to use large demonations as you might get your change back in Kunas. They do not accept credit cards on the city walls, nor do many of the museums. There are several ATM's located on the Stradun, our main promenade and you can obtain small amounts of local currency.

Can we walk from the ship to the Wall Walk, or will we need to take a taxi /bus/shuttle?? Would we need local currency before we get off the ship for that?

None of the publicly-owned museums in Turkey accept anything except Lira.

In both Croatia and Turkey, the shops catering to tourists will almost always accept euros and dollars. And, you will almost always pay for the privilege with a less than stellar exchange rate.

Each cruise line has its own rules on bringing wine on-board. Please make sure you know the rules for whatever line you are sailing with (or, if you are a 19th century grammarian .... with which you are sailing <grin>). Can't help with wine stores by the port, sorry.

You won't pass anywhere between the train and the port, but there are places in Civitavecchia to pick up wine. You'd need to board the ship and leave your luggage, then catch the shuttle to the port gates and walk into Civitavecchia. I don't have my notes with me now, but there was a supermarket selling a reasonable selection of wine that wasn't hard to locate. I've also heard of a wine co-op nearby that some (including my sister) have been lucky enough to locate.

If you don't think you'll have time to do this, then bringing wine from Rome is your best bet.

The real issue concerning wine is whether or not your cruise line will allow you to bring it on-board. RCCL will not. If they find it, they'll take it and keep it for you until the last night of the cruise.

There are several stores where wine can be purchased but they are several blocks from the port entrance.

Can we walk from the ship to the Wall Walk, or will we need to take a taxi /bus/shuttle?? Would we need local currency before we get off the ship for that?

Your cruise line will offer a shuttle bus to the old town from the port of Gruz. They do charge a minimal fee and you should check with your cruise line. The walk is uphill and is a waste of your short period of time in Dubrovnik.

You have not mentioned anything about your date of arrival. You need to be prepared for the weather and walking the walls. The walls are 2 kilometers long and there are a grand total of 650 steps. These steps are spread out along the way, some up and some down. It will take the better part of 2 hours, if you stop to take photos. The views are breathtaking....

For Ephesus, you can tip your tour guide in USA dollars so no need to get local currency.

In Dubrovnik, you can use credit card, Euros or British Pounds for entrance to the wall. When we were there last, we used Euros.

Keith

Keith: My husband works on the city walls, has done so for past 10 years. None of the 4 entrance gates have the ability to accept credit cards. They will accept Euros, Pounds, Dollars and Kuna, but may not be able to give change back in the same currency as their foreign change is limited.

Like others have said, don't waste you time walking from Gruz to the Gate of the old town. You can take a bus, a cab (in the same spot just outside the cruise gate) or the ship shuttle. I think the bus was 1E(get a ticket at the newagent across the way) and the taxi was about 8E. There can be lines ups for the bus and the taxis so it might be faster to take the ship shuttle IF it is going when you want to go.

Keith: My husband works on the city walls, has done so for past 10 years. None of the 4 entrance gates have the ability to accept credit cards. They will accept Euros, Pounds, Dollars and Kuna, but may not be able to give change back in the same currency as their foreign change is limited.

I would like your opinion on being able to use Euros for bus/taxi from port of gruz to Wall Gate. I want to make sure I do not need kunas before I get in town to the ATM. With the small amount of cost for the Wall Walk, I may just use Euros or USD and maybe I won't have to do any currency exchange. Worrying about leftover money and switching it back is not worth it , if it can be avoided.

You had also asked the date we would be there in a previous post regarding weather. We will be there in mid-May so it should not be so hot. WE have heard so much about your beautiful city so we do not want to rush the Wall Walk and its lovely views. It looks breathtaking!

If you have left over Kuna from Dubrovnik, does anybody know if you can use them in Kotor?

As a retired travel consultant, for more than 30 years, my advise to any client who was concerned about money left over. Buy something at the local junk store - postcard - candy - gum or even a post card. Most of the time when leaving a country we end up with the coins in our pockets, and that might add up to some extra cash. Stop at the green market on the plaza and buy some lavender or an orange. You can spend the money, it's easy.

Archived