A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hi DBA,

we are sailing on the Zuiderdam on April 10. Can you tell me who the captain and hotel manager are scheduled to be on this one please (any any other key officers if available). didn't see this before so I hope I am not repeating a question or is there a spot on the HAL site where I can find the information? thank you. Jacqui

On formal nights the Pinnacle will also be formal.

You only non-formal dinner place would be the Lido or in your stateroom.

Ray

Ray, Let's re-visit the Formal Night dress. Formal Night means Tux OR Suit for men (CAN also include a Nice Sports coat and Dress Slacks), Prom style dress (no idea how else to describe it), Cocktail style dress or outfit, dress slacks and possibly a dressy top for women.

The clothing Pokeynose has described as what they are wearing to the Pinnacle Grill is WELL within the FORMAL night attire to eat anywhere on the ship on Formal night!!

Joanie

Hello again, apparently my post, first in this list of questions, was missed when you posted answers. Can you help me out? Thanks again.......

Originally Posted by Cruising-along viewpost.gif

Hello Dutch, and Happy New Year. I have a question I'm hoping you can answer :) We're booked on the April 6 Hawaii cruise on the Zaandam. Some of us on the roll call have noticed that ours is the only Hawaii cruise that has never gone on sale, and PCCs and TAs don't see it going on sale anytime soon. (final payment is the 21st of this month)

Also for the past couple weeks all categories of staterooms except the bottom 5 categories have been marked "closed". TAs and PCCs are saying this cruise is far from sold out......do you have an idea of what might be going on?? At first I hoped it meant they were working on a sale for this cruise, but now it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks!

Sorry about that Carolyn! I always try to go through here really systematically and did miss yours by mistake. Happy New Year to you as well!

Unfortunately I'm not able to access many parts of the system that would possibly give me more information. I can assure you however, that each sailing has dozens of promotions, and if most categories are "closed" that does typically mean a sailing is getting pretty full (closed categories can also indicate that certain categories can't hold more than 2 people, so on the chance you're checking availability for a room of 3 or 4 this may be your answer)

Hope that helps some, and sorry for the delay in replying!

Hi DBA,

we are sailing on the Zuiderdam on April 10. Can you tell me who the captain and hotel manager are scheduled to be on this one please (any any other key officers if available). didn't see this before so I hope I am not repeating a question or is there a spot on the HAL site where I can find the information? thank you. Jacqui

With it being the weekend and I being away from my computer at work, I suspect you may be able to get a faster answer from Copper (John) on here. Maybe start a new thread with his name in it and see if he has an answer.

Sorry about that Carolyn! I always try to go through here really systematically and did miss yours by mistake. Happy New Year to you as well!

Unfortunately I'm not able to access many parts of the system that would possibly give me more information. I can assure you however, that each sailing has dozens of promotions, and if most categories are "closed" that does typically mean a sailing is getting pretty full (closed categories can also indicate that certain categories can't hold more than 2 people, so on the chance you're checking availability for a room of 3 or 4 this may be your answer)

Hope that helps some, and sorry for the delay in replying!

Thank you Dutch, I appreciate your honest response! We'll just hang tight and see what happens. :)

With it being the weekend and I being away from my computer at work, I suspect you may be able to get a faster answer from Copper (John) on here. Maybe start a new thread with his name in it and see if he has an answer.

thanks again for all of your help. Very much appreciated as always. Where would all the HAL fans be without you. Jacqui

Dutch,

Just curious if you know anything beyond what has already been posted about the Veendam not being able to get into St. George and having to tender in? I'm specifically interested to know if maybe they are considering just going into Hamilton and staying there the whole time instead of trying to tender in to St. George...Are they at least looking into alternatives to a 45 minute tender process one way?

Also, is it true that we HAVE to be back onboard to reposition from St. George to Hamilton? It's the same island....

Thanks in advance!!

Dutch,

Just curious if you know anything beyond what has already been posted about the Veendam not being able to get into St. George and having to tender in? I'm specifically interested to know if maybe they are considering just going into Hamilton and staying there the whole time instead of trying to tender in to St. George...Are they at least looking into alternatives to a 45 minute tender process one way?

Also, is it true that we HAVE to be back onboard to reposition from St. George to Hamilton? It's the same island....

Thanks in advance!!

Reservations staff has been given additional information and would be happy to assist you with questions you may have. Unfortunately, this is not something that I can go into on a public forum, however Reservations staff has more information and can help.

Hi! I would like to know if there is duplicate bridge and lessons on transatlantic crossings. Thanks.

I believe this is typical for transatlantic sailings, but would recommend you speak with Ship Services as they can solidly confirm if that will be the case for your specific sailing or not. 800-541-1576

(I know that bridge players take it very seriously so I don't want to give a solid answer I can't be 100% certain on)

Reservations staff has been given additional information and would be happy to assist you with questions you may have. Unfortunately, this is not something that I can go into on a public forum, however Reservations staff has more information and can help.

Dutch,

I hope that HAL considers putting something "official" out there other than just the "tender required" note on the HAL website itinerary page for the Bermuda cruises on the Veendam. As of last night, the Cruise Critic forum discussing this issue was more than 18 pages long. Many of the posters had previously visited Bermuda, some on numerous occasions. I obsessively read the entire string last night and many people have voiced concerns and questions as well as the recommendation that HAL just give up on docking near St. George and dock for the entire time in Hamilton and perhaps comp some land travel (bus voucher?) over to St. George. I hope someone in a position of authority at HAL pays attention to this issue and considers reading some of the Cruise Critic postings.

By the way, I did email HAL twice for more information and got very polite but clueless answers (comparing it to tendering in Sitka, Alaska). It is clear that not everyone at HAL is giving the same answer regarding this situation.

I love HAL and have been on three HAL cruises already and was planning on signing up my family of four for this cruise, until I saw the CC pages regarding the tendering situation. Not that I have anything against tendering per se, but a 40-45 minute tender, if there is only one ferry doing the tendering, could mean that you would spend most of the day waiting to be tendered, if you are not in a "priority" cabin. Plus there is the issue of whether or not you have to be back onboard during the ship's move between the two ports. Until these issues are more fully addressed, I won't be booking this cruise.

In any event, I understand that you cannot answer these questions in a public forum as per your prior response to the other poster, but please considering passing along the information to the higher-ups in Seattle that if that many people are commenting on Cruise Critic about these particular issues, then perhaps HAL should take a more proactive public relations stance and communicate more clearly to those who already have tickets, as well as putting something more explanatory on the website and responding to folks who email or phone with informed, complete information.

Thank you very much and I loved the pictures of the birthday presents for your dog!

Very truly,

CCMP

Dutch,

As you are in Seattle I hope you can help me. I was just on the "Wonderful" Westerdam, 11/15/09 - 11/29/09 and got to know some of the crew and officers rather well. Is there a way I can find I way to get in touch with them, or at least find out if they are still assigned to the Westerdam.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

dutch,

i hope that hal considers putting something "official" out there other than just the "tender required" note on the hal website itinerary page for the bermuda cruises on the veendam. As of last night, the cruise critic forum discussing this issue was more than 18 pages long. Many of the posters had previously visited bermuda, some on numerous occasions. I obsessively read the entire string last night and many people have voiced concerns and questions as well as the recommendation that hal just give up on docking near st. George and dock for the entire time in hamilton and perhaps comp some land travel (bus voucher?) over to st. George. I hope someone in a position of authority at hal pays attention to this issue and considers reading some of the cruise critic postings.

By the way, i did email hal twice for more information and got very polite but clueless answers (comparing it to tendering in sitka, alaska). It is clear that not everyone at hal is giving the same answer regarding this situation.

I love hal and have been on three hal cruises already and was planning on signing up my family of four for this cruise, until i saw the cc pages regarding the tendering situation. Not that i have anything against tendering per se, but a 40-45 minute tender, if there is only one ferry doing the tendering, could mean that you would spend most of the day waiting to be tendered, if you are not in a "priority" cabin. Plus there is the issue of whether or not you have to be back onboard during the ship's move between the two ports. Until these issues are more fully addressed, i won't be booking this cruise.

In any event, i understand that you cannot answer these questions in a public forum as per your prior response to the other poster, but please considering passing along the information to the higher-ups in seattle that if that many people are commenting on cruise critic about these particular issues, then perhaps hal should take a more proactive public relations stance and communicate more clearly to those who already have tickets, as well as putting something more explanatory on the website and responding to folks who email or phone with informed, complete information.

Thank you very much and i loved the pictures of the birthday presents for your dog!

Very truly,

ccmp

ditto!! I will call Reservations and see what they have to say....

My husband and I will be on Ms. Eurodam for the 3/20/10 sailing. I am curious to know whether they offer a chef's table where a very limited number of guests can pay a fee and get to tour the galley, etc. and then dine with the chef. I'm not sure I'm calling it by the proper name, but you probably know what I mean. I'd also like to know, if they do do this, can this be reserved in advance.

First, let me say thank you and to tell you how much I've enjoyed your blog. Terrific!:)

Thanks for the Prinsendam pictures of the new aft area being lifted into place. Hopefully there'll be more pictures to follow. Since that's our next cruise we're really interested in what they're doing to her. Thanks again!

Glad you're enjoying it. Stay tuned. There will be more to follow :)

Dutch,

As you are in Seattle I hope you can help me. I was just on the "Wonderful" Westerdam, 11/15/09 - 11/29/09 and got to know some of the crew and officers rather well. Is there a way I can find I way to get in touch with them, or at least find out if they are still assigned to the Westerdam.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Best thing to do if you'd like to get in touch with them is to write to them and send it in a letter addressed as follows:

Holland America Line

Attn: Seagoing Human Relations

300 Elliott Ave W

Seattle, WA 98119

Of course, be sure to provide your contact info so that they would have a way to reply if they would like to.

Seagoing HR can make sure it goes to the right place by checking their current assignment, etc.

My husband and I will be on Ms. Eurodam for the 3/20/10 sailing. I am curious to know whether they offer a chef's table where a very limited number of guests can pay a fee and get to tour the galley, etc. and then dine with the chef. I'm not sure I'm calling it by the proper name, but you probably know what I mean. I'd also like to know, if they do do this, can this be reserved in advance.

First, let me say thank you and to tell you how much I've enjoyed your blog. Terrific!:)

There is a similar event onboard and the ship will have the information. It takes place in the Queen's Lounge/Culinary Arts Center and is prepared by some of the senior-most chefs onboard. Ship Services may also have a little more information.

Archived