Opinions please!!!

Hello-Kitty

I have 2 bookings on hold, 1 is with an agen i have used in the past and 1 with a new agent that was recommended too me.

Crap i want to use the new agent better rate, great cabin!!

How do i say to the other to take off hold? She can check to see that i booked with someone else, i know its common to look around and get the best deal but i still feel bad.

Can you help we with a few words of wisdom, i dont like to upset anyone, Grrrr this stinks

TIA

Why not ask he/she if they can match your cheaper price. If they can great. If they can't, just explain your choice. IMHO if they are worth their salt, they will understand.

Bob

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

I'm not a TA, so I don't know how it is that one can check that you booked with someone else. And if they are that nosey, tell them why you booked with someone else. And if they catch you at a good moment, you can also expand on that and say you don't appreciate being checked on.

As for your feelings of guilt, what can you do? You are the one that allowed 2 bookings to be held for you. Short of booking 2 cruises, one with each agent, then one is going to feel screwed. You'll just have to swallow that one yourself.

Go with the one that got the better price and spent the time to get you a better cabin location. There's nothing wrong with that.

If the other TA is any good, I honestly think they probably have better things to do than to start plowing through reservation systems to look for another booking for you to see if you 'cheated' on them.

This has happened to me many times and I never hesitate to ask any of them to meet the lower price. I work with three different agents. Allegiance is wonderful, but not when you overpay. When there's a minimal amount involved I don't bother. But at times the difference is quite substantial. I have always been honest with my agents and they know I'll be back.

Consider this a learning experience. In the future, let everyone you speak with know that you would like the cabin held for 24 hours, but you still plan to shop around. This will give everyone heads up to do their best by you or lose out. There is nothing wrong with shopping around and watching your pocketbook, especially in this economy.

BTW, I think I'd go with the 2nd TA that went the extra mile for you -- and I would start considering this TA "my" TA.

Unfortunately, that's the price of doing business. I have a TA whom I really, really like. She goes the extra mile, and is extremely responsive to the needs of her clients. But, and that's the catch word, she understands that if I find a better price that she can't meet, than I will go with another agent I also use. I hate like heck telling her that, but in order for me to cruise, I need to do what's best for me. And, what's best for me, is a lower price, or more obc, etc. It's the bottom line that counts. I do my homework before deciding on a cruise, so I like to think I'm not high maintenance.

These are really all great replies,and i have to say i feel a bit better, i was feeling quilty and your right, business is business and my old agent does NOT go the extra mile at all for me but she does have great prices.

This new guy really went above over and beyond!!

Unfortunately, that's the price of doing business. I have a TA whom I really, really like. She goes the extra mile, and is extremely responsive to the needs of her clients. But, and that's the catch word, she understands that if I find a better price that she can't meet, than I will go with another agent I also use. I hate like heck telling her that, but in order for me to cruise, I need to do what's best for me. And, what's best for me, is a lower price, or more obc, etc. It's the bottom line that counts. I do my homework before deciding on a cruise, so I like to think I'm not high maintenance.

Well said........

Bob

Consider this a learning experience. In the future, let everyone you speak with know that you would like the cabin held for 24 hours, but you still plan to shop around. This will give everyone heads up to do their best by you or lose out. There is nothing wrong with shopping around and watching your pocketbook, especially in this economy.

BTW, I think I'd go with the 2nd TA that went the extra mile for you -- and I would start considering this TA "my" TA.

I echo the idea of a 24 hour hold - even a direct call to Princess will get you a 24 hour hold on a cabin with no committment at all on your part (no credit card info needed). As long as you have not made a firm committment, it should be considered as comparison shopping by the TA.

We have used many agencies, agents, and direct calls over our cruising career and if we start by asking for a quote for the cruise then we quickly see the bottom line costs, and who is going the extra mile.

Our current TA will then, without our asking, actually put in a reservation for the cabin of our preference even before we have committed to anything beyond getting a quote. The first time I logged on to My Princess and saw I was scheduled for a cruise it freaked me out, but then I discovered it was our TA going above and beyond to make sure we had what we were looking for. And then when we either changed our mind, or the temporary hold expired, that booking went away. If we wanted to proceed with the booking it was there!

The key message here is that the hold the TA puts on is Temporary, and is the normal course of business. Most people do some comparison shopping, even if it is to determine whether we can afford this particular vacation.

If you do have a preferred TA then asking him/her for his/her best price is just good business and keeps good faith. If they decide they cannot give you a certain price, that is their decision. We are willing to pay a little extra for the TA who provides excellent service in learning and satisfying our particular needs, and even who is friendly in our conversations and we can relate with on a personal basis, even though we have not met face to face. We also keep in mind they need to make some profit as well, and that keeps them around for the next time we need their services.

if it were me I'd trust the old one until next time. New ones have a knack of going bust

Fortunately here in the U.S. we don't quite book the same way you do and we can cancel our reservations w/o penalty up until final payment. As for new TA's going bust...no worries. Once you are booked with the cruise line, your reservation is fine. Of course you have to paid your deposits with a credit card. Anyone in today's world who doesn't, well...............:eek:

I would tell Agent that You were offered a better rate. If Agent can do better, You will go with that agent. Its a competitive business, don't worry about hurting feellings. You the passenger, should only consider the lowest rate when booking. My opinion.

I found a better price on the internet which how I normally book but this time I was using a TA. I told her the price, she checked it and asked her supervisor. They agreed to drop the price to match the internet price. Save me $600 overall.

if it were me I'd trust the old one until next time. New ones have a knack of going bust

I assume "new" here refers to being an agent being used for the first time by the poster, not being an agent who just started in the business.

I would tell Agent that You were offered a better rate. If Agent can do better, You will go with that agent. Its a competitive business, don't worry about hurting feellings. You the passenger, should only consider the lowest rate when booking. My opinion.

I'm sorry, but that's a little simplistic. One should "only" consider the lowest price? The boards are littered with horror stories about people who bought solely on price.

Well i did it! i booked with the new guy and NOT just for the great cabin D743 (the aft:)) and the great price!! He really took time with me and did what he could and bargained back and forth!! I loved him fun and easy to talk with...and was highly recommended.

I emailed my agent and told her to take my cabin off hold:rolleyes:

You made the right decision. You can always go back to your original T/A.....Have a great cruise.

Bob

i love it here! you all made me feel alot better, i know i didnt do anything wrong but i always am looking not to hurt someones feelings!

Going to love discounted price and my aft balcony!;)

This site is the best out there. So much info from the site itself as well as the tons of members and all their combined knowledge. It can be adicting though. I joined in Sep 2007, started actively posting in Mar 2008 and am already fast approcahing 2k posts.

Bob

Archived