Should I book Millennium for Alaska?

caribgirl40

I'm fairly new to the boards, so I would appreciate gaining some perspective.

I'm planning an Alaska cruise for late August, and the Millennium Southbound sounds great, but the reviews of this ship and Celebrity experience seem inconsistent these days. Four years ago, I took my first and only cruise on the Mercury and really enjoyed it...

Should I ignore the complaints? Or try a Princess cruise with a similar itinerary?

Thanks for any and all advice!:)

I think it comes down to an indvidual's background and some reviewers have very exacting requirements. If you do some reading of the forum to get a feel for Celebrity's approach and are comfortable with it, and can accept that it's very hard to find perfection in everything, then I don't think you'll have any concerns. I'd say it's a great choice!

We have been on the Millinium several times and just love it. We have sailed Princess & Celebrity and much prefer Celebrity. We went to Alaska on Infinity (Mille's sister ship) last year and it was our favorite cruise. I'd definitely go with Celebrity.

I did princess the first time and now looking at Celebrity in 2010. One reason is I want to do an add on in Seward. hiking etc. The other i s more timein Juneau and seeing Icey Straight Point-which I have read mixed reviews.

I think you will have better service on Celebrity. Plus it will be in drydock this spring.

It comes down to personal choice and cost.

I'm fairly new to the boards, so I would appreciate gaining some perspective.

I'm planning an Alaska cruise for late August, and the Millennium Southbound sounds great, but the reviews of this ship and Celebrity experience seem inconsistent these days. Four years ago, I took my first and only cruise on the Mercury and really enjoyed it...

Should I ignore the complaints? Or try a Princess cruise with a similar itinerary?

Thanks for any and all advice!:)

I have just returned from a 14 night cruise on Millenium and the only word to descibe it is disappointing, it is sold as 5* but struggles to be 3*. The food was the worst I have had on a cruise, so take my advice and try the Princess cruise.

Hope this helps

I don't agree. Have been on Millie fairly recently and just loved it. I think overall Celebrity is experiencing some small amount of downturn on things like food (especially) and some service, but overall I think it still beats Princess hands down. So much depends on your expectations and what 'style' of cruising you prefer. Celebrity is a bit more sedate than Princess, some would call it more 'classy' without being stuffy (although others get offended when you call it that). It is not known for its nightlife or partying, but is known for service, food, and elegance at a mid-range price. The Millie is no longer brand new, so some get turned off when everything is not perfect. But overall Celebrity takes good care of its ships and they are very clean and polished. I would sail on her again in a minute.

Yes I have my Mom and her friends going on the Mille to Alaska this summer..

She has done over 40 or so cruises and of the large big ships Celebrity is here favorite...

The pods have no stopped working on over a year now they fixed them

All the negative people...are LOSERS......LOL kidding...some passengers are just not worthy of sailing Celebirty

Princess does not compare in anyway...wanna pay for a quite pool??? or ice cream?..and be on a ship that looks like an episode of the "Golden Girls" go for it

Celebrity is overall most consistent. Princess has lost more repeat passengers over the past few years then Celebrity!

My family has cruised more then me but I have cruised many times...

Ok I have included a List of why we prefer Celebrity service over any other cruiseline. We have Sky Suite 6132 on our cruise coming up its the same as 6131 So I will post pics. Sky Suites are the best!

Happy Sailing.

After all of our cruises we have never found a line striving hard on ship to please....

1.I had a sunburn on the constellation our waiter noticed at breakfast and sent plain yogurt to my room with a note to apply.

2. They way our room stewards put away our close after a long day and rushing to dinner.

3. They way the carried my wife's tray to our room from the buffet.

4. They way they try 100% with effort to get what you want specifically to eat for dinner, one time on the infinity the waiter had the kitchen cook indian food special for a lady at our table every night. ( on no other ship does this happen....RCL says so not tonight can't do! NCL LOL is a joke rude service.

5. room steward in CC class or the butlers in Suites I have never had anyone work so hard...Ice you ask its yours!!! not waiting for a tip or anything..a anxtra pool lounger on your sky suite balcony...they personally arrange it.

6. Hotel directors that remember you....and keep in touch to make everything amazing all the time. even email you to ask about future sailings

7.Taking my mothers dinner she ordered in the MDR but left early because she was a bit sea sick. This has happened on 2 sailings with different waiters without asking.

8. On our second Cruise on the Constellation, Our friends joining us had red wine in there luggage, it broke all over there luggage. The ship took all there clothes and cleaned them for free, then vacuumed there luggage for any galss for free no questions asked.

9. my wife and I read the wrong time on a shore exchursion, we missed it by a few minutes in St Thomas. I went on board and without any arguments they gave us our money back and tried to help us find something else.

10. On the Summit this past summer...they had a europe buffet up on deck one evening. the had removed all loungers and put chairs and tables out. We could not find one, we found the maitre d and he went way up brought us our own table for 2 and put it up on the shower platform.

11. On the summit back in Alaska, My mother wa son her aft, wake facing Concierge room. SHe was having coffee in her room robe and they were hosing down the awnings. Water came down on her, she laughed...but they came to our room right away gave her a free spa package, a take home robe, and strawberries in the room.( we had things go missing from our room on NCL and they said my wife must have left her cashmere sweater by the pool???? ummm cashmere on the pool deck LOL, I realize things happen but blame us?

12. One night on the Century I wanted peanut butter and bannana Sandwich....I called down they sent one up! so nice, I love RCL but they always mess it up. or say NO

13. On our honeymoon in the Galapagos....they made special dinner for us with hotel director and Captin up under the stars all by ourselves! they planned it we had no idea.

these are just some of the reasons we love Celebrity most,

We will still cruise, RCL, and others...but overall they TRY to do things even if not everything is perfect. Sometimes I believe the way some people react to situations reflects in the final outcome.

I have read all the comments and I appreciate everyone has different expectations but 5* should be better than good and Millenium wasn't. I sailed on Cunard QM2 last year and it was fantastic, probably I am spoilt by their excellent service. Cunard get things right where as Celebrity struggle on many issues e.g. dress code,standard of meals and entertainment, to mention a few.

Try Cunard I promise you will not be disappointed.:)

Caribgirl40, Note you as a newcomer to the boards have more posts than Granparent (2) who flames Milllenium. Experience counts, listen to those who have been there, done that. I did Alaska last August on the Millenium and the ship and food was great. Many others on these boards have said the same.:)

"Granparent"

LOL Cunard gets it right??? everyone ...I mean everyone I have had sail it HATED it every minute. You are crazy, I have read some Millie reviews on here from the past few month and with the exception of 2 or 3 the other 12 have been excellent. My Aunt was just on it in December and is going on her again in July to Alaska. She said Mille was worn in places but is going to dry dock soon. But overall it was fantastic, and just as a comparison, Her Princess cruise in November on the Caribbean Princess was worse Princess cruise ever...now will she sail Princess again???? YES but Always Celebrity First.

Cheers!

I think it is totally unnecessary to call someone crazy for expressing their opinion. I thought this web site was exactly for that. Obviously the Brits expect good manners and style, this is probably why our expectations differ. :rolleyes:

I think it is totally unnecessary to call someone crazy for expressing their opinion. I thought this web site was exactly for that. Obviously the Brits expect good manners and style, this is probably why our expectations differ. :rolleyes:

Hi grandparent:

You are correct that this board is, or should I say should be, for expressing ALL opinions. I did read down the board of postings and found a review of a Millennium cruise that was even worse than you described. Unfortunately it has been locked by someone here, so no one will probably ever see it now.

I know on a very troubled cruise on Celebrity with over 1,200 signing a petition to protest conditions on board, the Brits were our strongest supporters. My opinion is that the Brits are more inclined not to just accept any conditions on a ship and then say well it still beats working. As an American, I whole hearted agree with you that the Brits have it all over us in good manners and style. Which is clearly demonstrated here. As long as you report a positive experience, everything is fine but report any problems about Celebrity and boom, the hammer comes down!

Cheers, from across the pond

I was booked on Princess, (my favorite line), for September, but switched to the Millennium for several reasons:

Price - I could get an unobstructed outside for $100 more pp than my obstructed outside on Princess. Outsides on Princess were $300 more pp.

Cabin - Outsides on the Millennium have the sofa next to the window and on Princess, the bed is under it - better viewing on Cleb for Alaska.

Airfare - I'm using FF points and the Friday departure worked better for me than the Sat Princess departure.

Something different - I haven't been on Celebrity for a long time and I occasionally enjoy a change of pace with a different line.

Since the ship is going into dry dock before the Alaska season begins, I expect it will be in great shape for my cruise. As for the food, I really won't know about that until I sail.

Hello Wave Rider,

Thanks for your commonsense reply. I appreciate this web site is mainly for the American market but you people out there should known the Brits are seasoned cruises.

Like many of you I have been on lots of cruises and probably started cruising before many of you when cruising was very much for the wealthy

Millenium was definitely a bad experience and one I would not repeat. Many passengers onboard of all nationalities were displeased and we Brits were very much in a minority. Some Australians on the cruise were so displeased that when we docked in Melbourne our last port of call before leaving the ship in Sydney they cancelled their credit cards so gratuities could not be stopped.

I don't enjoy complaining and expect cruising to be a wonderful experience but Millenium was a total disappointment, sorry to upset you folks out there but it was not the standard it was advertised.

We cruised the Millenium and have no complaints. We have no complaints with any of the Celebrity ships. Food, Room, Crew, Passengers - all pleased with.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise. Try another one of Celebrity's ships. We love the Constellation and their Canada/New England cruise is great. We did it 3 times.

Don't give up on Celebrity.

Archived