My Opinion Regarding Upgrades

cruisePRN

cruisePRN, you said that you were entitled to this in the very first post.

I don't really care about cabin upgrades, all three cruises I've been on were totally sold out so I doubt anyone was upgraded. However, I am a frequent flyer and at the highest tier for two airlines. I understand upgrades in that context. You get upgrades. I think you should be happy when you do. Upgrades are not yours, you aren't entitled to them.

On sold out cruises it would stand to reason there are no upgrades. You miss the entire point of a rewards/loyalty program. As I D+ member I am entitled to this perk but that's not to say I feel Entitled as a passenger to anything but what my perk entails. I hear some resentment from folks who want this perk to be random so they can equally receive this perk but that's not how loyalty programs work.

As an example let's say you're a platinum member booking a balcony. You get $50 off per person for being Platinum. Diamond members get $100 off pp. Should Platinum people look forward to this perk up the ladder or say heck no it's not fair, I want that $100 Diamond members get it should be equal to all. As a platinum member you don't get the CL, it's something to reward Diamond members so where's the outcry it's not fair and equal to all. Maybe now you understand a little better what a loyalty program has and does to encourage you to move up the ranks.

I personally don't mind loyal customers reaping the stated rewards, but I think there should maybe be some caveats. For instance, if I (not yet D+) pay for a JS and a D+ books an oceanview or regular balcony stateroom and gets upgraded to a GS or OS over me, then I'm the one who feels a little bitter. Certainly any D+ who booked a JS (regardless of the price pais) should have preference over me for upgrades, but I think they should generally stick to the one-class upgrade. If you're D+ and really want a GS, then book a JS and cross your fingers.

Also, I think that once a D+ receives an upgrade, they should go to the end of the D+ line as far as upgrade eligibility. Before anyone screams about the inequity and that they earned their place in line, here's a different explanation: You're D+ w/ 30 cruises. Let's say I'm D+ w/ 24 cruises. If we both continue to cruise with the same frequency, you'd always get an upgrade before me (and possibly take the last one). Assuming the "few hundred" D+ number to be true and with many D+ receiving upgrades on each cruise, it wouldn't take long to reclaim your place in line... I'm just saying that all D+ should probably have a shot at an upgrade at some point, not necessarily always the top cruiser regardless of whether they got an upgrade two weeks ago and I haven't had one for years (for example). Hopefully that makes sense. There just, at times, seems to be an overriding sense that people generally want things to be restricted so that newbies can't get as much (or as often) as long as the old-timers are grandfathered in.

Supposedly you only get a one catagory upgrade. So someone with

more credits than you would get the call first but shouldn't jump over

you if you are booked in a higher stateroom than they were. Supposedly.

Where does it say that D+ will receive a one cat upgrade depending on availability? Never heard of that before other than in this thread! Is that an exclusive North American customer benefit? It sure is not listed under D+ benefits anywhere on the websites.

Anyway, getting an upgrade from a JS to a higher category suite should become less likely for anybody booked with MTD, due to the prepaid gratuities, which in that case simply would not match. So, if you think you might be "entitled" for a suite upgrade, don´t book MTD!

;-)

Where does it say that D+ will receive a one cat upgrade depending on availability? Never heard of that before other than in this thread! Is that an exclusive North American customer benefit? It sure is not listed under D+ benefits anywhere on the websites.

Anyway, getting an upgrade from a JS to a higher category suite should become less likely for anybody booked with MTD, due to the prepaid gratuities, which in that case simply would not match. So, if you think you might be "entitled" for a suite upgrade, don´t book MTD!

;-)

Mike- I don't know if it's a N. American thing only. Don't see how

it would be. It is stated in the welcome kit that you receive when

you turn DP. Please see my previous post where I copied it word for

word from my letter. You're right, the higher cat you book, the less

likely you'll be upgraded as they have a certain requirement as to

how many rooms have to be available before they'll upgrade.

I sent an email to corporate with the question about upgrades for their Diamond Plus members and essentially what I started this thread with.

THEY CALLED ME

They said they would like to explain to me how D+ upgrades are given.

Those with the most cruises are given upgrades first and they go down the list. It is from Balcony to Jr. Suite and there must be 2 available 21 days before sailing. For ocean view to balcony it's done 14 days before sailing and no number was given to me.

They said random upgrades do not come from C and A they come from marketing and she offered to reason for that. I told her I felt that was not equitable to see marketing give upgrades before Crown and Anchor gave out theirs for their most loyal customers.

One other reason given which we all have heard about is if they need a specific cabin (quad or adjoining) and will upgrade the occupant to get them to move which is certainly a valid reason.

KUDOS to corporate for contacting me.

I agree with you, the D+ with the highest cruise credits should get the upgrade and then go down the line. My husband travels a lot for business and only flies United. He is a United 1K, flew more than 100,000 miles with United last year, which allows him to be upgraded to first class frequently. There is no way he should take one upgrade and then go to the back of the line to let someone with only 25k miles get the upgrade.

I see your point, but we're discussing different things. The difference is that someone w/ 25k miles in the airline program is the lowest level of frequent flyer, where your husband is at one of the higher levels (i.e. the 25k member is like C&A platinum and your DH is diamond plus). What I was discussing was if your husband w/ 100k miles frequently went on business trips w/ his boss who happens to have 200k miles. They're both in the top tier of the program, but the boss has more miles. Every time they book their coach tickets and hope to get the auto upgrade, there's only one unsold first class ticket... which would go to the boss every time if you used the "most points always goes first" system. What I suggested about going to the back of the line would only be within that tier (i.e. on the next flight the boss would be behind probably only your DH, not behind the people w/ 25k, 50k, or 75k miles).

Anyway, like you said, it's most likely that there would be little if any practical effect. It just seems like in the future there will be a situation where there will be a bunch of people making it to D+ and they'll effectively never get to receive this benefit because there will be more D+ with more credits out there... I'm sure that's just fine w/ the current D+ folks, but just as they sometimes have to have overflow diamond clubs, there will be people unhappy about not receiving a periodic upgrade, and especially if they find out other folks at the same level of the program get them on a comparatively consistent basis.

All rewards programs I have encountered only consider the seniority factor. As someone else pointed you would be sailing on one of several ships so the same D+ plus members wouldn't be on all the same sailings. Right now RCL has a reward program and I want to see them administer it.

CruisePRN,

I am with you on this following of their upgrade poliy! IF they state a policy, then they need to abide to it.

I hope that you are at least offered the upgrade on your Rhapsody sailing in May.

Ok, I will ask again. How do you know Rccl is NOT giving upgrades to D+ if their is an open cabin? Has anybody poled all the D+ cruisers to find out? Don't think so. Just because someone on here did not get an upgrade does not mean anything.

I'm a C&A member, with only a few cruises under my belt so far, but I guess the reason I keep coming back to RCI is that I've always been happy with them, and even w/o upgrades or valuable free perks, their prices beat out all the other cruise lines. I keep getting emails about others (esp Princess) having drastic price cuts and 2 for 1 deals, but they haven't been able to beat the prices I've gotten on my RCI cruises.

CruisePRN,

I am with you on this following of their upgrade poliy! IF they state a policy, then they need to abide to it.

I hope that you are at least offered the upgrade on your Rhapsody sailing in May.

getting the upgrade is not as important as RCL just honoring their policy which would put their D+ members first in line for any available upgrades.

Ok, I will ask again. How do you know Rccl is NOT giving upgrades to D+ if their is an open cabin? Has anybody poled all the D+ cruisers to find out? Don't think so. Just because someone on here did not get an upgrade does not mean anything.

I know by looking at the web site and making a ghost reservations. If 21 days prior to the sailing there are more then 2 cabins in a category they are supposed to upgrade their D+ from a Balcony to a Jr. Suite. When I see 10 Jr. Suites available 5 days before sailing I know they didn't go through the list and give these Jr. Suites as upgrades.

I'm a C&A member, with only a few cruises under my belt so far, but I guess the reason I keep coming back to RCI is that I've always been happy with them, and even w/o upgrades or valuable free perks, their prices beat out all the other cruise lines. I keep getting emails about others (esp Princess) having drastic price cuts and 2 for 1 deals, but they haven't been able to beat the prices I've gotten on my RCI cruises.

When you become eligible for perks and benefits we'll see how you feel, it's easy to say when you haven't worked your way up the ladder. If your local restaurant gave you a punch card and the 10th meal was free would you say when you got to your 9th meal you'll come back because you like the price and product if they tell you they randomly honor their promotion.

D+ benefits (which is listed on the back of the most recent C&A magazine) includes the personalized amenity that you can select from their list 2-3 weeks prior to your cruise. D+ amenity is the crystal ship that you receive after you have reached 30 cruise credits which continues when you reach 40, 50, etc.

I had 30 cruise credits with my last cruise, and I never received the crystal ship as an amenity. Just my bottle of wine, which was in the room.

By the way, I only received one upgrade since become a D+, which was from a balcony to JS. It was nice, but it hasn't happened since.

getting the upgrade is not as important as RCL just honoring their policy which would put their D+ members first in line for any available upgrades.

I know by looking at the web site and making a ghost reservations. If 21 days prior to the sailing there are more then 2 cabins in a category they are supposed to upgrade their D+ from a Balcony to a Jr. Suite. When I see 10 Jr. Suites available 5 days before sailing I know they didn't go through the list and give these Jr. Suites as upgrades.

I would think a D+ would have a better understanding of things. Did you poll all D+ on the ship? NOT, Its just laughable, I have made list of open cabins from the RCCL WEBSITE right before a cruise hoping for an upgrade at the pier or on the ship and guess what,NADA. Most of the time they are not there. Maybe you should consult the hotel director on each ship you sail on and get a blow by blow of all D+ and who's in what cabin before saying they don't honor the policy. I just want to see the facts and so far they are awol. Other pax get upgraded all the time for reasons other than D+ and you wouldn't expect them to give you the bingo give away suite now would you?

I want to share my opinion on this topic which comes up quite often.

My loyalty to RCL is close to nil. I read about new cruisers and gold members getting upgrades and it annoys me for this reason.........RCL says it upgrades their Diamond Plus members one category 21 days prior to sailing if there are more then 3 cabins available. In Dec I called C and A I asked for the perk I'm ENTITLED to from a Balcony to Jr. Suite, since there were lots of Jr suites available. They didn't give it to me, I guess they were trying to sell it. I wrote to someone in corporate and stated my disappointment that they give a worthless perk to a frequent cruiser and low and behold a few days before sailing i got the upgrade. Loyalty has to be two ways and it's not. Last year I sailed on Princess to get to their elite level, and have found they honor their loyalty program. They can have a loyalty program but unless they actually follow it what good is it. Those of us who have dozens of cruises with RCL are their bread and butter customers so it behooves them to treat them well by following their own policy for upgrades. I'm sailing on the Rhapsody to Alaska May 8 and will be watching what happens 21 days prior to sailing regarding upgrades. If their web site shows multiple cabins available and they choose not to upgrade my cabin as Diamond Plus member I will absolutely give attention to Princess although they do not upgrade but have wonderful perks for their elite members.

When we cruised on our very first Princess Ship we were upgraded to a suite. that was a very sweet cabin, my DH still talks about that deal, the Bathroom was great, whirlpool tub. but I have never received an upgrade from RC and we are Diamond. But we sailed RC because of the Ships, our DS wants to do the Rock Wall and so on and the Kids Program was always great. But now he is 20, no more kids program. So we can sail other lines to check them out. We will see what will happen on this trip in June.

I see your point. I am very hopefull on this trip we are taken and hope RC will notice us. We had brought in friends to cruise with them. Will shall see.

When you become eligible for perks and benefits we'll see how you feel, it's easy to say when you haven't worked your way up the ladder. If your local restaurant gave you a punch card and the 10th meal was free would you say when you got to your 9th meal you'll come back because you like the price and product if they tell you they randomly honor their promotion.

Honestly, I lose those punch cards :p 2fers can drive me crazy, if eating at a fast food place, I don't need 2 whoopers for the price of 1 :eek: just charge me a fair price for 1! I tend to enjoy bargain hunting, and have found I tend to do better just bargain hunting and booking what I want, meets my needs and can afford vs relying on incentives and "special" club prices ... I just want to pay a fair price and get what I pay for.

However, when I see things that I believe are truly unfair, I do follow up and do something about it. In fact, I've been highly recommending a certain excursion, but when someone asked me for more details, I got to doing a little research and found something very unfair ... what I've heard is that cruiselines and certain tour operators are going into contracts w/ eachother, due to contracts cruiseline passengers are not being allowed to book certain excursions directly, but instead paying up to 37% more for the exact same excursion ... just doesn't seem fair, so I wrote a letter to the approprate organization regarding the situation.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I do believe we need to stand up for what we believe in, not just talk about it here, but follow through.

Here's what I emailed tonight, hopefully if any of you have had this type of situation, you too will take further steps w/ the appropriate people :):

Dear Vallarta Adventures,

We cruised with Royal Caribbean early Dec 08, and your Outdoor Adventure was one of the excursions we did. We loved it, it was the most memorable part of our trip, and as a cruise critic member, I have been highly recommending the Outdoor Adventure on numerous boards, to many cruise critic members.

However, another cruise critic member just asked me for more details and had also asked what I knew about booking directly, rather than through the ship. That got me curious about what your current cost was for someone booking direct online vs through the cruise line.

Are you aware that while someone can book direct, online w/ you at a cost of $88.20pp, Carnival cruise line is charging $139pp, and Royal Caribbean is charging $129pp?

That's crazy since cruise line passengers are being told they cannot book directly and must book through the cruise line at an increased cost of approx 37% per person! Especially in today's economy, that may make your Outdoor Adventure out of reach for many families.

Please feel free to forward my email to the cruise lines if you would like. It's just not right for people to have to pay that much higher a cost because they are traveling via cruise ship. I hope this practice of excessive overcharging to cruiseline passengers comes to an end. If there is any further info I can provide to help you in working w/ the cruise lines, please let me know.

Sincerely,

D Fitz

Honestly, I lose those punch cards :p 2fers can drive me crazy, if eating at a fast food place, I don't need 2 whoopers for the price of 1 :eek: just charge me a fair price for 1! I tend to enjoy bargain hunting, and have found I tend to do better just bargain hunting and booking what I want, meets my needs and can afford vs relying on incentives and "special" club prices ... I just want to pay a fair price and get what I pay for.

However, when I see things that I believe are truly unfair, I do follow up and do something about it. In fact, I've been highly recommending a certain excursion, but when someone asked me for more details, I got to doing a little research and found something very unfair ... what I've heard is that cruiselines and certain tour operators are going into contracts w/ eachother, due to contracts cruiseline passengers are not being allowed to book certain excursions directly, but instead paying up to 37% more for the exact same excursion ... just doesn't seem fair, so I wrote a letter to the approprate organization regarding the situation.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I do believe we need to stand up for what we believe in, not just talk about it here, but follow through.

Here's what I emailed tonight, hopefully if any of you have had this type of situation, you too will take further steps w/ the appropriate people :):

Dear Vallarta Adventures,

We cruised with Royal Caribbean early Dec 08, and your Outdoor Adventure was one of the excursions we did. We loved it, it was the most memorable part of our trip, and as a cruise critic member, I have been highly recommending the Outdoor Adventure on numerous boards, to many cruise critic members.

However, another cruise critic member just asked me for more details and had also asked what I knew about booking directly, rather than through the ship. That got me curious about what your current cost was for someone booking direct online vs through the cruise line.

Are you aware that while someone can book direct, online w/ you at a cost of $88.20pp, Carnival cruise line is charging $139pp, and Royal Caribbean is charging $129pp?

That's crazy since cruise line passengers are being told they cannot book directly and must book through the cruise line at an increased cost of approx 37% per person! Especially in today's economy, that may make your Outdoor Adventure out of reach for many families.

Please feel free to forward my email to the cruise lines if you would like. It's just not right for people to have to pay that much higher a cost because they are traveling via cruise ship. I hope this practice of excessive overcharging to cruiseline passengers comes to an end. If there is any further info I can provide to help you in working w/ the cruise lines, please let me know.

Sincerely,

D Fitz

Is this something new to you? For years and I mean years you have always been able to do tours cheaper on your own rather than with the cruise line. Exactly in what place are you not allowed to tour on your own(other than PC).We want to know facts.The cruise lines have always been in contracts with vendors for tours.

Heres a thread on here to help,http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=933481

Is this something new to you? For years and I mean years you have always been able to do tours cheaper on your own rather than with the cruise line. Exactly in what place are you not allowed to tour on your own(other than PC).We want to know facts.The cruise lines have always been in contracts with vendors for tours.

Heres a thread on here to help,http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=933481

One that I know of for sure is Vallarta Adventures in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, who will not allow cruise ship passengers to book directly with them, the specific excursion myself and other members have not been allowed to book independently is the Outdoor Adventure ... RCI's price when we went was $114pp, if I'd been allowed to book independently, direct, on-line, cost would have only been $80pp. Other cc members, and tripadvisor members have all had the same experienced - told no, have to book through cruise line (so consequently at higher price).

Believe me, I would have booked direct at the $80 ... we're the kind of travelers who enjoy going off the beaten path, ride the public transit (Jamaica's "bus system" about 22 yrs ago was quite an adventure!)

Also found a place in Alaska that when I tried to book independently w/ them for a Sept 09 cruise (I think it was Packer Expedition?) I was told that they hold all reservations on that specific day for Princess who they normally sell out to ... he was nice in trying to help figure something out, but basically w/ everything held for Princess there was nothing available for me to book independently w/ them ... hopefully this doesn't become too much of a trend.

One that I know of for sure is Vallarta Adventures in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, who will not allow cruise ship passengers to book directly with them, the specific excursion myself and other members have not been allowed to book independently is the Outdoor Adventure ... RCI's price when we went was $114pp, if I'd been allowed to book independently, direct, on-line, cost would have only been $80pp. Other cc members, and tripadvisor members have all had the same experienced - told no, have to book through cruise line (so consequently at higher price).

Believe me, I would have booked direct at the $80 ... we're the kind of travelers who enjoy going off the beaten path, ride the public transit (Jamaica's "bus system" about 22 yrs ago was quite an adventure!)

Also found a place in Alaska that when I tried to book independently w/ them for a Sept 09 cruise (I think it was Packer Expedition?) I was told that they hold all reservations on that specific day for Princess who they normally sell out to ... he was nice in trying to help figure something out, but basically w/ everything held for Princess there was nothing available for me to book independently w/ them ... hopefully this doesn't become too much of a trend.

Vallarta Adventures (and many other excursion companies) do not book directly with cruise ship passengers because they would then be undercutting the profit that RCI, their partner, makes on the deal. I'm sure it's in their contract that they are prohibited from doing so. I've seen it happen quite a bit.

We're Diamond Plus,too, and have never gotten an upgrade. Nor do we expect one. However, on our Jan. 27th Panama Canal cruise on the Jewel those that were upgraded were not Diamond nor Diamond Plus. What they did do was post and post and post for the sheer sake of posting. It worked.

I have read this entire thread, and want to throw in my two cents worth.

Sometimes corporate does not allocate all of the unsold cabins to C&A for upgrades. Sometimes corporate gives them to the marketing department, and allows them to use certain cabins for the benefit of Royal Caribbean, as they see fit.

An example would be.......let's say that an OS is open when you board the ship.......and would like to be upgraded.......and pay a small fee to do so. If marketing has not released this cabin to the ship........there is no way that you can pay for this cabin. Marketing could use it as an attraction for bingo. Have you ever hear of the ship bingo-ing off a suite. You bet! It attracts many more bingo players!!

They also allow marketing to randomly select passengers for upgrades. I believe that is known as being visited by the upgrade fairy!!:D

As a D+ we have been upgraded on several occasions. But mostly, we book the cabin that we want........and pay for it.

So....even tho the booking department shows 5 cabins to be open.....they may not have allocated them to the C&A department to reward D+ members.

Rick

Well since I'm almost 50yrs old now, I've seen a lot ... even if the cruise lines have always been in contracts w/ vendors, have you seen them always able to make it exclusive, to the point of basically creating somewhat of a monopoly?

I have read this entire thread, and want to throw in my two cents worth.

Rick

Rick, I'm glad you threw your two cents in :D It makes a lot of sense, esp since the cruise industry has become so huge. I think the way you do it (as we do) by booking/paying for the cabin we want, is best way to make sure we're comfortable and happy during our cruise :)

Archived