My Opinion Regarding Upgrades

cruisePRN

i can still have an opinion regardless if i pay for my own cruises or not you know. why should i not have an opinion?:rolleyes:

The fact you don't understand is a reflection of your age. When you work hard, manage a home, and pay a premium for a vacation you'll understand.

My kids always appreciated things when I made them pay a part of product.

Get a job, pay for a cruise (many cruises actually) and then come back and talk.

I have read this entire thread, and want to throw in my two cents worth.

Sometimes corporate does not allocate all of the unsold cabins to C&A for upgrades. Sometimes corporate gives them to the marketing department, and allows them to use certain cabins for the benefit of Royal Caribbean, as they see fit.

An example would be.......let's say that an OS is open when you board the ship.......and would like to be upgraded.......and pay a small fee to do so. If marketing has not released this cabin to the ship........there is no way that you can pay for this cabin. Marketing could use it as an attraction for bingo. Have you ever hear of the ship bingo-ing off a suite. You bet! It attracts many more bingo players!!

They also allow marketing to randomly select passengers for upgrades. I believe that is known as being visited by the upgrade fairy!!:D

As a D+ we have been upgraded on several occasions. But mostly, we book the cabin that we want........and pay for it.

So....even tho the booking department shows 5 cabins to be open.....they may not have allocated them to the C&A department to reward D+ members.

Rick

What you say makes perfect sense. But some where along the way some one had to be told this policy.

Personally I am finding booking a cruise akin to booking plane flight. Shop for the best price.... and not be loyal.

Personally I am finding booking a cruise akin to booking plane flight. Shop for the best price.... and not be loyal.

Good way to see it ... I've found most things are that way, everything from travel to cars to groceries :p I like the grocery store gimmicks for "loyalty" ... they provide their loyal customer card to consumers to get special prices, when in actuality that's a way for them to track consumer spending for their own marketing purposes, I'm guessing marketing purposes is probably the bigger purpose than rewarding loyalty :eek:

What you say makes perfect sense. But some where along the way some one had to be told this policy.

When one cruises enough.....and asks enough questions of staff members, especially over a glass of wine.......one gets a basic inside knowledge.

And I do mean basic. I had a conversation with Adam Goldstein Thursday afternoon......when I was on the Mariner......and did not like the answers to several of my questions. We did not get into loyalty programs.

I will say that this man has a huge responsibility........and I hope and pray that Royal Caribbean is being steered in the right direction.

An example of this........Pullmantur (I need to check the spelling) is a part of RCCL. Royal Caribbean has sold some of their older ship off to this entity...........and it's not doing well.......as said by Mr. Goldstein.

It may be that the economy of the Europeans is declining......and maybe more rapidly than ours...........as the dollar compared to the Euro can attest to.

Royal Caribbean is placing ships all over the world.......and have totally thinned them out from North America............especially the USA.

It's important to watch what Carnival is doing..........and RCCL is doing.

Carnival cannot buy RCCL..........it's against the anti trust laws......of having a monopoly.

So.......the cruise industry could be open for a free for all...........for awhile........

Let's see where we are at in 6 months............

So........if this is akin to the airlines.........I'm in trouble!!:D

Rick

I had 30 cruise credits with my last cruise, and I never received the crystal ship as an amenity. Just my bottle of wine, which was in the room.

By the way, I only received one upgrade since become a D+, which was from a balcony to JS. It was nice, but it hasn't happened since.

Barb, that was the LAs fault. You can call C&A at 1-800-526-9723..........then press 9 for the D+ desk. Tell them that you reached your 30th cruise credit while on Adventurer and you did not get your crystal ship.

They should send you one in the mail.

Barb, that was the LAs fault. You can call C&A at 1-800-526-9723..........then press 9 for the D+ desk. Tell them that you reached your 30th cruise credit while on Adventurer and you did not get your crystal ship.

There are a few people that we think the world of......and have not yet cruised together. Two of our favorites......are Jim and Patti.

God Bless the two of you.......it's not like you tell it like it is........it's just that you two are some of the best information given out........and totally dependable.

So......you two......we need to plan something!!

Rick

Patti,

Thank you for the information I will give them a call.

On our Navigator of the Seas cruise back in November we spoke to many CC members who were gold, platinum and diamond who all received upgrades while we being diamond plus, received none. One well known diamond member from CC was even upgraded from an inside to a balcony when he booked a couple of days before the cruise. Since I must admit to being annoyed by all this information I proceeded to have a lengthy discussion with the Guest Relations Manager on board regarding upgrades. His name was Luis Martins. He specifically told me loyalty status plays no part in who receives the upgrades from headquarters in Miami. I don't know what the rules use to be but those are the rules now. I also speak from experience as we are diamond plus with 36 cruise credits and have never received an upgrade while friends of ours who are gold and platinum have. I also book the stateroom I'm happy with as I'll never expect to receive an upgrade from Royal.

back to what i said what if some people cant afford all of those cruises to get do D+ but are still loyal what about those people not everyone can afford to become D+ and they should still be rewarded aswell

You are rewarded with your coupon books and parties. You are also rewarded by OBC if you book while onboard.

While on Mariner last week, we reached our 30th also. The LA told us we had to complete 30 and would not receive the block until we sail again in the future on a different ship. We received 3 credits on this cruise. So we did complete 30 while onboard. She and concierge still said no. I emailed C&A while onboard and a friend at home also called C&A for me. I wanted my block to be from the ship I completed 30 on. The block eventually ended up in my cabin.

While on Mariner last week, we reached our 30th also. The LA told us we had to complete 30 and would not receive the block until we sail again in the future on a different ship. We received 3 credits on this cruise. So we did complete 30 while onboard. She and concierge still said no. I emailed C&A while onboard and a friend at home also called C&A for me. I wanted my block to be from the ship I completed 30 on. The block eventually ended up in my cabin.

Sorry you went thru so much hassle to get your block. I'm surprised that Melissa didn't just give you your block when you first questioned her.

I have heard from others on that voyage (Valparaiso to Los Angeles) that they were not too pleased with the LA. Hopefully when the Mariner starts a regular run again......as it is now, things will get back to normal on the Mariner. There were many complaints about most of the senior officers on the 46 night voyage. I won't get into them.........as they should stay on the ship.

Rick

Well since I'm almost 50yrs old now, I've seen a lot ... even if the cruise lines have always been in contracts w/ vendors, have you seen them always able to make it exclusive, to the point of basically creating somewhat of a monopoly?

I have found this to be the case with most of the vendors the cruise lines work with and has been that way for years. I believe it is in their contracts that they are not to book anyone directly if they are from the cruise ship. Of course, booking through the cruiseline you have to give them their $$ so the price goes up. Do I like it, no so do try to find vendors that don't have a contract but can't always do that:(.

We actually got caught in the middle of a new contract last year. I inquired with a private vendor for a tour and in the week it took me to decide and get back to them they had signed a contract with royal. Fortunately for me, they didn't have that particular tour on my sailing so after a number of emails between us got to do my tour for the direct price!

I woke up this morning, grabbed a cup of coffee, and read all of the posts in this thread. The main thing that stands out is that "CONSISTENCY" is just not part of RCCL's policies.

I have over 60 cruise credits and I've never been visited by the upgrade fairy.:confused: I do book the cabin I want, since I have come to realize that being given an upgrade is almost non-existent. On our upcoming April cruise on the Mariner, almost every GS is available. Maybe this will be the time for an upgrade?

Priority Dining in the Dining Room is also not recognized by either the staff onboard or the RCCL Dining Coordinator.

Do I love RCCL? Sure I do! I love cruising and the experience that RCCL provides is next to top notch. I just hope that RCCL will become more consistent with their policies and follow through with the benefits that are stated on their website and in their handouts.

I woke up this morning, grabbed a cup of coffee, and read all of the posts in this thread. The main thing that stands out is that "CONSISTENCY" is just not part of RCCL's policies.

I have over 60 cruise credits and I've never been visited by the upgrade fairy.:confused: I do book the cabin I want, since I have come to realize that being given an upgrade is almost non-existent. On our upcoming April cruise on the Mariner, almost every GS is available. Maybe this will be the time for an upgrade?

Priority Dining in the Dining Room is also not recognized by either the staff onboard or the RCCL Dining Coordinator.

Do I love RCCL? Sure I do! I love cruising and the experience that RCCL provides is next to top notch. I just hope that RCCL will become more consistent with their policies and follow through with the benefits that are stated on their website and in their handouts.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Sorry you went thru so much hassle to get your block. I'm surprised that Melissa didn't just give you your block when you first questioned her.

I have heard from others on that voyage (Valparaiso to Los Angeles) that they were not too pleased with the LA. Hopefully when the Mariner starts a regular run again......as it is now, things will get back to normal on the Mariner. There were many complaints about most of the senior officers on the 46 night voyage. I won't get into them.........as they should stay on the ship.

Rick

Sorry, didn't mean to complain, but for future reference, are you supposed to get that block while on the 30th, 40th, ect.. cruise?

Croosieloosie: You are really supposed to get the block on the cruise where you reach your 30, 40, .....etc. cruise credit. I would think that is the whole point, go receive a "ship block" with the ship where you reached your "Milestone."

To ensure that you receive your block onboard, it is a good idea to call C&A and let them know that you will be reaching your "milestone" and would like to have them contact the Loyalty Ambassador so that they will be prepared.

There are occasions where the LA does not have inventory of the blocks, in which case you'll need to request that one be sent to you. I sure hope this helps.

Sorry, didn't mean to complain, but for future reference, are you supposed to get that block while on the 30th, 40th, ect.. cruise?

Yes, and I did. I am VERY surprised that you encountered such obstacles and difficulty. My block simply appeared in my cabin. (first leg) (actually, now that I think about it, I have *no* idea whether the block arrived during the first or the second leg. It may have been the second, whereas I hit the 30th credit during the first)

Me first!:p

I haven't had a problem getting what I want from the dining coordinator, at least for a small group. And I always throw in that I'm entitled to it (nicely, of course), but I don't know whether it's that or just dumb luck.

Yes, a girl can dream...:)

When we were on Mariner last March it was actually my 50th credit, although the C&A records were off by 3 or 4. I was set to plead my case with the then - LA, Deborah Gorman, one of RCI's finest, who left the company (a whole 'nother topic) to get my block. Imagine my surprise when we found one in our cabin upon embarkation. Only problem was that it was for somebody else. So I did half a Girl Scout - I told her about the error, but also told her I wasn't giving it back:D. She was fine with it, just got another one for the couple on the note.

Mitzi.......that is not a complaint!! You were entitled to your block on that cruise. My complaint was not against you............it was against the LA..........who was not smart enough to look up your record, and with a great big smile...........present you with your block.

The time to have given you the block, would have been at the Platinum, Diamond party.........where you should have been properly recognized!!

So..........in lieu of that........all of us here at Cruise Critic.......welcome you to your first block............of being a D+!!:);)

Rick

Celia..........we need to talk!! Have not done so in too many moons.

Inconsistancy...............that's one word that Royal Caribbean is becoming famous for!!:D:D

Rick

Rick

I was also on Mariner for the last leg and was unimpressed with the LA - I'm not sure we need to give her a free pass for poor service . . . .

but I am surprised by some comments on this thread:

1) I have 49 cruise credits and have never heard of receiving a crystal ship at 30. I haven't even been able to get a diamond + pin.

2) I have received 3 crystal ships - one on a member cruise, one I'm not sure why, and one from a LA after some unfortunate events on a cruise.

3) As a diamond+ I have been upgraded 4 times from an E2. Twice to a JS and twice including this last Mariner cruise to GS. My understanding was that it is a seniority issue - but after reading this thread, I wonder. The first three times RCCL called and offered the upgrade. The 4th (Mariner) I call the diamond+ C&I about 13 days before the cruise and asked about my status for an upgrade.

There are a few people that we think the world of......and have not yet cruised together. Two of our favorites......are Jim and Patti.

God Bless the two of you.......it's not like you tell it like it is........it's just that you two are some of the best information given out........and totally dependable.

So......you two......we need to plan something!!

Rick

You are the kindest person..........and you always know what to say to make somebody feel special.:)

Yes, we must plan something.................on the "right" coast.................maybe a little south!

Jean, I know, I know.....first comes Jean!! LOL! You go girl!

Once onboard a ship, I have never had a problem with getting a reasonable table. The problem is the "requests" prior to boarding that have me stumped! But then again, I'm on a cruise, so who cares!:D

Celia..........we need to talk!! Have not done so in too many moons.

Inconsistancy...............that's one word that Royal Caribbean is becoming famous for!!:D:D

Rick

Rick, hope Bobbie is feeling better. Anytime you'd like to talk, just give a call! :D:D

I was also on Mariner for the last leg and was unimpressed with the LA - I'm not sure we need to give her a free pass for poor service . . . .

but I am surprised by some comments on this thread:

1) I have 49 cruise credits and have never heard of receiving a crystal ship at 30. I haven't even been able to get a diamond + pin.

2) I have received 3 crystal ships - one on a member cruise, one I'm not sure why, and one from a LA after some unfortunate events on a cruise.

3) As a diamond+ I have been upgraded 4 times from an E2. Twice to a JS and twice including this last Mariner cruise to GS. My understanding was that it is a seniority issue - but after reading this thread, I wonder. The first three times RCCL called and offered the upgrade. The 4th (Mariner) I call the diamond+ C&I about 13 days before the cruise and asked about my status for an upgrade.

There is a bit on confusion in your post...........and maybe you can help me clear it up.

There are no "Crystal ships", only blocks of crystal.......with the ship etiched in the block.

It sounds to me that you have received what Royal Caribbean is supposed to give out.

Also........congratulations on getting what D+ members are supposed to get.............upgrades!! It sounds to me like you are a perfect example of what Diamond and Diamond Plus members are supposed to receive.

Thanks for sharing your gift with the rest of us!!:)

Rick

PS..........you need to write to rhancock@rccl.com and ask for your Diamond Plus pin.

Rachael...............sorry to use your email address........maybe you can supply me with one that will work for Diamond Plus members.

Archived