My Opinion Regarding Upgrades

cruisePRN

How did they upgrade you? Did you call and ask someone?

we called because the price went down about $1000 less than we payed pp for a balcony but its back up now and when we called they gave us the money back for the difference and an upgrade. and you are going on the jewel the same time i am in april did you call and get the price adjustment when the balcony rooms went from $2400pp down to $1349:)

we called because the price went down about $1000 less than we payed pp for a balcony but its back up now and when we called they gave us the money back for the difference and an upgrade. and you are going on the jewel the same time i am in april did you call and get the price adjustment when the balcony rooms went from $2400pp down to $1349:)

You found a price drop for a higher category on a future cruise. The OP is talking about free upgrades for D+ with no regard to current pricing.

You found a price drop for a higher category on a future cruise. The OP is talking about free upgrades for D+ with no regard to current pricing.

it wasnt for a higher catagory it was for the same room as we previously had then they gave us an upgrade. but the price drop was for our room and the women said ill can give you an upgrade

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I always figured I'd better be happy with the cabin that I choose at booking because THAT is the cabin I will be spending my vacation in. I have never expected, nor even thought that I would receive an upgrade, even at my "lowly" Platinum status.

I am loyal to Royal for one reason and one reason only. They have treated us exceptionally well, in particular, when a travel agent royally screwed us out of our deposit and cancelled our reservation--all without our knowledge. RCI not only made good on our reservation, they made it crystal clear to us that their first priority was that we have a wonderful cruise. And we did. Why would I not stay loyal to Royal?

Would I turn down an offer of an upgrade? Of course not! I'm loyal, but I'm not stupid....:D

Karen

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I always figured I'd better be happy with the cabin that I choose at booking because THAT is the cabin I will be spending my vacation in. I have never expected, nor even thought that I would receive an upgrade, even at my "lowly" Platinum status.

I am loyal to Royal for one reason and one reason only. They have treated us exceptionally well, in particular, when a travel agent royally screwed us out of our deposit and cancelled our reservation--all without our knowledge. RCI not only made good on our reservation, they made it crystal clear to us that their first priority was that we have a wonderful cruise. And we did. Why would I not stay loyal to Royal?

Would I turn down an offer of an upgrade? Of course not! I'm loyal, but I'm not stupid....:D

Karen

yea but the way i see if you think you can get an upgrade go for it.

To the OP, maybe if you don't ask for it and let them surprise you. I would be upset if somebody keeps begging me for something I would say NO on purpose, just because you begged. People need to stop thinking they are entitled. :rolleyes:

To the OP, maybe if you don't ask for it and let them surprise you. I would be upset if somebody keeps begging me for something I would say NO on purpose, just because you begged. People need to stop thinking they are entitled. :rolleyes:

we didnt think we were entitled we didnt even ask they just gave it to us. and i could also not see your buisness staying around long.:rolleyes:

I see no reason why anyone who falls within their guidelines shouldn't ask. Of course they can say no but your way of handling it certainly wouldn't endear you to any clients you may have. BTW by RCL's own decisions there does come a time when people are entitled.

"Loyality does have it's rewards" is the saying and if there are rewards they should be handed out with an even hand. RCL is not doing that.

I just want to say to the OP...thank you for finally voicing what I have felt for some time now...

I hear you...and you are saying what a lot of us are feeling...I speak with Diamond plus members all the time and I have never met one that did not share your opinion...but I'm sure you will on this thread:D

The OP is ENTITLED to the upgrade. D+ members have been Loyal to Royal & for that they should receive what RCL has put in place for their returning loyal royal customers. If they say at 21 days you get the upgrade then at 21 days you should see the change. The sad part is that when you call no one knows what your true benefits are.

I look at it like your paycheck. If you have worked you expect your paycheck on time and you expect it to not bounce. D+ members expect the upgrade since they have paid their monies to vacation previously & their benefit is now upgrades if they are available.

The OP is ENTITLED to the upgrade. D+ members have been Loyal to Royal & for that they should receive what RCL has put in place for their returning loyal royal customers. If they say at 21 days you get the upgrade then at 21 days you should see the change. The sad part is that when you call no one knows what your true benefits are.

I look at it like your paycheck. If you have worked you expect your paycheck on time and you expect it to not bounce. D+ members expect the upgrade since they have paid their monies to vacation previously & their benefit is now upgrades if they are available.

back to what i said what if some people cant afford all of those cruises to get do D+ but are still loyal what about those people not everyone can afford to become D+ and they should still be rewarded aswell

back to what i said what if some people cant afford all of those cruises to get do D+ but are still loyal what about those people not everyone can afford to become D+ and they should still be rewarded aswell

As soon as you or anyone reaches the status necessary for the perks then you will get them. That is the point of becoming a D+. You may think you've earned the same level but you haven't. It doesn't matter how long it takes a person to reach the status. That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

News to me that you are ENTITLED to be upgraded to a JS, from a balcony, 1 category if they have 3 unsold cabins. Is this in writing?? How did you find out that you are entitled to this free upgrade?

I was under the impression it was hit or miss.

I still think this is complimentary or random, but would like to know where the OP got this information.

I still think this is complimentary or random, but would like to know where the OP got this information.

I believe the OP said that they were told this by C and A staff or Diamond plus staff...who also told me the same thing...and dozens like us.

As soon as you or anyone reaches the status necessary for the perks then you will get them. That is the point of becoming a D+. You may think you've earned the same level but you haven't. It doesn't matter how long it takes a person to reach the status. That has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Then why do they still give upgrades to people under the D+ and D status? if you must earn them. and what is the OP im confused on what this is.

Then why do they still give upgrades to people under the D+ and D status? if you must earn them. and what is the OP im confused on what this is.

OP - original poster.

That is exactly what the OP is talking about. RCL is not following their own guidelines/rules whatever you want to call them. If a company says they are going to do something and they don't they will soon lose their loyalty base. Especially in this economy.

OP - original poster.

That is exactly what the OP is talking about. RCL is not following their own guidelines/rules whatever you want to call them. If a company says they are going to do something and they don't they will soon lose their loyalty base. Especially in this economy.

Since 2006 we've been going on 3 cruises a year except for 1 so we are loyal and I don't see why we shouldn't get upgrades and we arnt D+ and they were all rci they in this economy I believe they should give upgrades ramdomly not just to one class of people but that's just my opinion I mean if it is they're policy for D+ members than give them upgrades which I'm sure they do but it still doesn't hurt for them to give other level members an upgrade everynow and then

I'm D+ and the only benefit we've ever gotten beyond the D perks is a bottle of cheap chardonnay(sells for $5.99 at Publix.) Never heard of this upgrade until this thread, never got a pin or luggage tags. We get the balcony discount and no other RCCL OBCs can be included with this perk. Other than the cheap wine, not much difference between D and D+.

I'm D+ and the only benefit we've ever gotten beyond the D perks is a bottle of cheap chardonnay(sells for $5.99 at Publix.) Never heard of this upgrade until this thread, never got a pin or luggage tags. We get the balcony discount and no other RCCL OBCs can be included with this perk. Other than the cheap wine, not much difference between D and D+.

That's all I've ever heard I never knew anyone could get free upgrades until my mom called about that price adjustment and they gave us one I wonder how all these people know all about upgrade policies?

How about this...If you see better available cabins 3 weeks out, has anyone ever successfully made RCCL an offer of several hundred dollars to upgrade to the next higher level?

Yep, tried this route. I am 15 days from sailing and I had my TA

call and make them an offer for the room I'm supposedly "entitled"

to. They said they would sell the upgrade to me for $970. I didn't take it.

So, I gotta ask, what do they say when you call and can give them cabin numbers of cabins that are still available and they still won't give you the upgrade? I just sounds almost unbelievable (except that it is RCL) that they could so blatantly ignore their own published policy and alienate their best customers at the same time. Although it becomes far more believable if you track their stock price....

What they say is that they need to go down the list starting with

the highest numbered Diamond Plus person. And when you ask

what the highest number is (to kind of give you and idea of where

you rank) they "don't have that information yet".

I totally agree with the highest person getting the first call and then

going down the list but I don't think they're following their own

policy. However they choose to handle the upgrades they need to

be fair and consistant so we know what to expect.

You have to call C&A and ask them to mail you your pin and tags etc.

I see no reason why anyone who falls within their guidelines shouldn't ask. Of course they can say no but your way of handling it certainly wouldn't endear you to any clients you may have. BTW by RCL's own decisions there does come a time when people are entitled.

"Loyality does have it's rewards" is the saying and if there are rewards they should be handed out with an even hand. RCL is not doing that.

I just want to say to the OP...thank you for finally voicing what I have felt for some time now...

I hear you...and you are saying what a lot of us are feeling...I speak with Diamond plus members all the time and I have never met one that did not share your opinion...but I'm sure you will on this thread:D

Kiss kiss-Hug Hug, you understand.

What they say is that they need to go down the list starting with

the highest numbered Diamond Plus person. And when you ask

what the highest number is (to kind of give you and idea of where

you rank) they "don't have that information yet".

I totally agree with the highest person getting the first call and then

going down the list but I don't think they're following their own

policy. However they choose to handle the upgrades they need to

be fair and consistant so we know what to expect.

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me in December until I wrote a nice but firm email to corporate.

Archived