My Opinion Regarding Upgrades

cruisePRN

Since 2006 we've been going on 3 cruises a year except for 1 so we are loyal and I don't see why we shouldn't get upgrades and we arnt D+ and they were all rci they in this economy I believe they should give upgrades ramdomly not just to one class of people but that's just my opinion I mean if it is they're policy for D+ members than give them upgrades which I'm sure they do but it still doesn't hurt for them to give other level members an upgrade everynow and then

So how do feel about airlines with their frequent flier miles, should you get upgraded to first class without the prerequisite number of miles? FYI they do give upgrades to all member levels we read about it on these boards frequently, but it is supposed to be after they take care of their D+

It seems totally fair for the D+ to get free upgrades if higher category cabins are available. Also, counting down from the greatest number of cruises to award upgrades seems proper. We transfered our Celebrity Elite for Royal Caribbean Diamond. The small price discount was nice and the Concierge Lounge was very pleasant. We would have enjoyed the Lounge anyway as we booked suites for both our RC Transatlantic cruises, but any D can enjoy the Lounge.

Asking for a perk which RC says they provide is not begging. Especially since RC has apparently not been living up to their promised benefit awards in the past. Someone in RC management needs to make certain all representatives follow the rules for perks.

To the OP, maybe if you don't ask for it and let them surprise you. I would be upset if somebody keeps begging me for something I would say NO on purpose, just because you begged. People need to stop thinking they are entitled. :rolleyes:

Someone here has said that there should be no extra benefits for frequent RC cruisers. The fact that some people cannot cruise as often as others is irrelevant. Many businesses reward frequent customers. Some restaurants do so. Almost all airlines do so. Fliers are given miles for flight credits on future flights. Very frequent fliers are provided other advantages.

Our last cruise was a Transatlantic on the Celebrity Summit. It was disappointing. The food needed improvement. We may come back to RC. Our first there was on the Jewel and the food was lacking in quality, but the waiter and assistant were outstanding. Our second was on the Brilliance and the food was fine. The waiter was OK, but the cabin steward was not good. Oh well, what the heck.

We may come back to RC or we may just avoid ocean cruising and travel other places again on our own. Unfortunately, cruise companies seem not to realize that people have this option. They need to keep their promises.

Bob :cool:

P.S. Honest, I wrote this before I submitted and then saw cruisePRN's post.

I have to honestly say that since reaching D+ status, we have been upgraded 3 times, (on other sailings there were simply no higher cat cabins available) On our sailing tomorrow on Radiance we rec;d the upgrade about 10 days out, but I had called about 15 days prior to sailing and was told - they get a list of D+ 2 weeks before the sail date on Mondays, go down the list from top to lowest, and award a one cat upgrade, IF there are at least 3 cabins available in that category - its definetely a dont call us, we;ll call you scenario.

Nonetheless, they were as good as there word with us.

And someone asked where do you see this in writing . . . . when we reached D+ level, we rec'd a welcome package which stated this info right in their letter.

So how do feel about airlines with their frequent flier miles, should you get upgraded to first class without the prerequisite number of miles? FYI they do give upgrades to all member levels we read about it on these boards frequently, but it is supposed to be after they take care of their D+

dont fly the same airline everytime and we drove to jersey and baltimore for 3 of them:D. and yes on US airways we did get upgraded to first class last year they just asked us when we got there:rolleyes:.

OK, OK, OK, It's time to eat some crow...I wrote on this thread that I had never been up graded...but I also had an up coming cruise...well today it is fourteen days away...and low and behold...RCI up graded me...I am a diamond plus...and I gotta tell you that crow tastes mighty good right at this moment. Good luck diamond plus cruisers I hope it happens to you....

OK, OK, OK, It's time to eat some crow...I wrote on this thread that I had never been up graded...but I also had an up coming cruise...well today it is fourteen days away...and low and behold...RCI up graded me...I am a diamond plus...and I gotta tell you that crow tastes mighty good right at this moment. Good luck diamond plus cruisers I hope it happens to you....

Maybe somebody read this thread and WhaLaa you got your upgrade. The head honchos do read cruise critic so maybe we did some good.

Is this upgrade policy listed on the RCI Site? I can't find anything documented. If this is something that has only been verbally expressed by different C&A contacts? If that's the case, makes it very difficult to validate if it truly exists and if a consistent policy is followed.

Maybe RCI figures that if you've taken the time, consistent effort to rebook with their product to reach D+ , that you're already locked in and a Royal Loyal and not a great need to give upgrades on a consistent basis. Maybe in these economic times they feel the need to give more upgrades to newbies to "buy future loyalty"? Not sure, maybe we won't know. Point being if this policy that you state - of the highest D+ person being given upgrades of available cabins and then working your way down the list, actually exists, and is consistently invoked, where is it documented? Verbal statements may just be a "flavor of the day" and when times are good and everyone is paying list price. But when times turn, like now, maybe they will take any cash they can get. Not sure and maybe you've seen this same inconsistent upgrade pattern for D+ even when they were not lowering the fares.

The airlines, I'm most familiar with Continental, has a very clearly defined upgrade policy for their frequent fliers. Outlines exactly which elite level gets upgraded in order and based on some other variables and is now computerized. Until I see something that specific outlined on the cruise websites then I won't count on it as being a "true perk".

OP - original poster.

That is exactly what the OP is talking about. RCL is not following their own guidelines/rules whatever you want to call them. If a company says they are going to do something and they don't they will soon lose their loyalty base. Especially in this economy.

How do you know this? Because someone here does not get upgraded does not make it so. There are loads of D/D+ who are not members here and to say RCCL does not stand by its perks you would have to survey all on each ship. They pick and choose all the time. Lets see,50,000 cruisers everyday,how many are cc members,HMMMMM.

Maybe somebody read this thread and WhaLaa you got your upgrade. The head honchos do read cruise critic so maybe we did some good.

That's a nice sentiment, and a little unlikely...:)

Is this upgrade policy listed on the RCI Site? I can't find anything documented. If this is something that has only been verbally expressed by different C&A contacts? If that's the case, makes it very difficult to validate if it truly exists and if a consistent policy is followed.

Maybe RCI figures that if you've taken the time, consistent effort to rebook with their product to reach D+ , that you're already locked in and a Royal Loyal and not a great need to give upgrades on a consistent basis. Maybe in these economic times they feel the need to give more upgrades to newbies to "buy future loyalty"? Not sure, maybe we won't know. Point being if this policy that you state - of the highest D+ person being given upgrades of available cabins and then working your way down the list, actually exists, and is consistently invoked, where is it documented? Verbal statements may just be a "flavor of the day" and when times are good and everyone is paying list price. But when times turn, like now, maybe they will take any cash they can get. Not sure and maybe you've seen this same inconsistent upgrade pattern for D+ even when they were not lowering the fares.

The airlines, I'm most familiar with Continental, has a very clearly defined upgrade policy for their frequent fliers. Outlines exactly which elite level gets upgraded in order and based on some other variables and is now computerized. Until I see something that specific outlined on the cruise websites then I won't count on it as being a "true perk".

This is a great post and I agree it's the crux of the problem. There is little to nothing in print about the 50 / 75 / 100 perks. I think I've only seen them listed once or twice and would be challenged to get my hands on something right now if I had to.

Because it's not in print, RCI can afford to be very selective about the perks. The 100% single supplement perk disappeared without a word. The upgrade perk went from 21 days out to 14 days out. I'm not complaining; I've benefitted from several upgrades; it would just be nice if the rules of the game were known.

Here you go:

Under Crown and Anchor Society Diamond Plus Benefits:

"Cruise Planning Benefits...

(in addition to Diamond benefits)

Stateroom upgrades (on cruises 5 nights or longer based on availability within 14 days of departure date)

This is in writing in the benefits package that diamond plus members are sent.

Here you go:

Stateroom upgrades (on cruises 5 nights or longer based on availability within 14 days of departure date)

My issue is the OP said the policy is you get the upgrade if there are 3 or more cabins in the category above the one you booked. Saying "based on availability" gives them more wiggle room. The OP claims the policy is based on 3 or more unbooked cabins in the above category, which is what Id like to see in writing.

My issue is the OP said the policy is you get the upgrade if there are 3 or more cabins in the category above the one you booked. Saying "based on availability" gives them more wiggle room. The OP claims the policy is based on 3 or more unbooked cabins in the above category, which is what Id like to see in writing.

When you call C and A they tell you that there must be 3 cabins for the upgrade. My point is quite simple, Why should RCL make promises of perks they don't deliver, not how much wiggle room they leave themselves. They lure you to achieve a level in their loyalty program and then don't deliver. Loyalty is a two way street. Right now the economy is hurting them so they should be displaying their loyalty to us D+ members to keep us from shopping around.

Regardless of whether it's justified, when I sail in May on Rhapsody if there are more then 3 cabins in the next category available and RCL does not honor their promise to upgrade me as a D+ I will book my fall cruise with a different (Princess)cruise line. The only recourse I have is to take my money elsewhere.

I cruised Azamara in January, will be cruising RCL to Alaska in May and am looking to book the Panama Canal out of Ft. Lauderdale in November. I am a bread and butter customer AND I always book an outside cabin or balcony not a cheapie cabin.

I am not retired, (mid fifties) I have many years of cruising ahead of me, so I consider myself a good and freqent customer.

Here you go:

I still can't find that exact quote in the website section for Diamond Plus benefits. You said it's in the docs you've been sent. I assume they send this once you achieve D+ but interesting that the exact verbiage wouldn't be listed on their webiste. Unless I just continue to miss it. But then, that could also explain an inconsistent or sporadic implementation of the policy.

If it's a manual type of upgrade, requiring human interaction for it to be given and it's not consistently covered with staff, documented in some places and not others, might be that way internally also, then that's ripe for problems and inconsistencies. I would think they would want to highlight that on their site as it's an attractive perk, if you can get it.

If thats the case, then for all those that are D+, maybe good to do as the OP did and squawk, as we all know, sometimes the vocal can tweak the process to get what they want. Not the ideal situation and all would hope that the system would work as designed but sometimes it is what it is.

Hopefully when I get to that status it will be more clearly defined and consistently implemented. Maybe even automated like the airlines to remove subjective human intervention. Wow scary, something that the airlines, at least some of them, do better than RCI.....Future may be bleak.

now i think this thread needs to close. just leave rci keep doing what they are doing by giving lower class members upgrades they have a better chance of there next cruise being with them its called doing BUISNESS. just leave it go if you are D+ call 14 days prior and see if they will give you an upgrade we are platinum and they just luckly gave us an upgrade for calling about a price change.

now i think this thread needs to close. just leave rci keep doing what they are doing by giving lower class members upgrades they have a better chance of there next cruise being with them its called doing BUISNESS. just leave it go if you are D+ call 14 days prior and see if they will give you an upgrade we are platinum and they just luckly gave us an upgrade for calling about a price change.

That is very easy to say as a 16 yr old who doesn't pay for their own cruises. The people on this thread who are D+ have a legitimate complaint. It only makes sense for RCL to keep these cruisers happy.

This happened to us also. We are Diamond plus and have never been upgraded before. Suprise two days ago we had meesage on our ansering machine from RCI. We went from a D2 cabin to an aft junior suite on the 10th floor. Now we believe in the upgrady fairy.

This happened to us also. We are Diamond plus and have never been upgraded before. Suprise two days ago we had meesage on our ansering machine from RCI. We went from a D2 cabin to an aft junior suite on the 10th floor. Now we believe in the upgrady fairy.

I'm glad to hear it. I hope the reason for your upgrade was because you earned it as a D+ and they are realizing you are a valuable customer :D

I just want to say to the OP...thank you for finally voicing what I have felt for some time now...

I hear you...and you are saying what a lot of us are feeling...I speak with Diamond plus members all the time and I have never met one that did not share your opinion...but I'm sure you will on this thread:D

DH and I feel Likewise....

Maybe RCI is reading this thread! Good that cruisePRn posted it....OK, maybe not realistic but would be inspiring for those that post that they are heard..

Not D yet or even D+ but wanted to give you some hope. On my sailing for Independence (2/1), about 3 weeks before sailing, I noticed many suites still open. Then all of a sudden, they were gone and the D+ members on my roll call had all received upgrades.

At the time it felt like everyone got an upgrade but me. ;) But I understood the reason behind it.

So at least on my sailing, they did recognize the loyal cruisers.

Love the possibility that if I complain here on this thread, I'll finally get my D+ upgrade. I'm not holding my breath, though--we sail in a week and the cruise is showing sold out.

Still, if anyone from C&A is reading this . . . .

I agree C &A needs consistent rules, no one can fault the most loyal customers who get rewarded. That was my issue with the Royal Champions since many did not have lots of royal cruises under their belt.

Glad to heat D+ are getting some upgrades.

That is very easy to say as a 16 yr old who doesn't pay for their own cruises. The people on this thread who are D+ have a legitimate complaint. It only makes sense for RCL to keep these cruisers happy.

yes it is just easy to say for me right now and how did you know how old i was??? but what i said is true rci must keep all of their cruisers happy because you know if they give platinum+ cruisers and upgrade that they are more likely to keep cruising on theyre ships.

yes it is just easy to say for me right now and how did you know how old i was??? but what i said is true rci must keep all of their cruisers happy because you know if they give platinum+ cruisers and upgrade that they are more likely to keep cruising on theyre ships.

When you start paying for your own cruises you will understand perhaps that loyalty starts with the first cruise. However once a decision is made on rewards it needs to be consistant and no, just because you are platinum doesn't make you the same as someone who is D+. You haven't earned that status yet - or at least your parents haven't and until then you should take what you get when you haven't earned it and be happy instead of grumping on about people who do not get it when they are entitled to it.

Archived