Crusing to Cuba - Royal Caribbean

cooncat

We've called at Havana twice when cruising on a British ship. It's the most fascinating place and unbelievably impoverished. The formerly grand buildings are badly in need of repair and a coat of paint, and the cars are something else - they may be held together with string but all are highly polished. Can't wait to go back on a Royal Caribbean ship

Count us in. I'd like to see a 7 day with an two overnights in Havana and Veradaro. Even though we could travel there now via Toronto, Mexico or Nassau, my DW is very leary of going until it becomes fully open to US residents. This could replace the miserable tender stops in Grand Cayman since other non-US ported cruise lines and lots of freighters have been calling on Cuban ports for years and using their piers and docks.

Would love it! I understand that Cuba could actually replace Puerto Rico as a cruise ship Hub too. It is right smack in the middle of the carribean and can handle deploying ships to both Western and Eastern Carribean.

Maybe then RCCL can introduce a more varied itinerary for us Summer Cruisers. One can dream!

We've called at Havana twice when cruising on a British ship. It's the most fascinating place and unbelievably impoverished. The formerly grand buildings are badly in need of repair and a coat of paint, and the cars are something else - they may be held together with string but all are highly polished. Can't wait to go back on a Royal Caribbean ship

I saw Communism while traveling in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union. Habana sounds just like every other decrepit Red capital - walking under scaffolding in Prague so the falling building mortar wouldn't hit you, being followed by some unknown fellow in East Berlin, having your Moscow hotel room discreetly rummaged each time you left, cops beating Easter service worshipers at Leningrad's Nevsky Monastery. Yup, nothing like poverty and oppression to amuse some - great vacation memories - hurry before things might hopefully improve someday!

We'll be on the first cruise ship to Cuba. Yes, it may be decrepid after so many years of Castro's rule, but the quickest way to help improve matters is to have bustling tourism and trade.

By the way, Key West already has an attractive ferry port ready and waiting for the day Cuba opens up. The plan is to run a ferry service to and from Cuba right from there.

If Cuba opens up it will put the pressure on places like Jamaica to clean up their act. You could also see Key West take a hit as Havanna is only a few more hours steaming away and it is far more exotic. I would not be surprised if the deals are already in place that when Fidel "LEAVES" Cuba opens up soon afterward. Although we, in Canada, can travel to Cuba freely I have chosen not to go but I have many many friends who do so regularly. The word is that it is extremely safe and the people are very friendly and sincere.

FYI!!! It is estimated that 80,000 Americans fly to Cuba each year from Canada and many thousands more from Mexico etc.

Hi folks,

I have an interesting question for you folks. If the travel ban to Cuba was lifted and the cruise lines were to start to go there. How many of you would go?

Myself, I would jump at the opportunity to go. It would be very interesting.

I would go.

(I've even been to Cuba in the past.)

I would love to see Havana,

but, I would not be too excited if it were a "tender port".

I book our trips around the tender ports since we dis-like the

cattle car atmosphere on them, and, the standing in lines.

Having spent time with cubans who escaped from Cuba in South Beach. I would go if there was a change in goverment. If you have ever spent time talking with people who left, things got really bad there. Many people make some of the people involved in the revolution out as heros. Having sat with people, things were bad under Castro.

I am not one to support a bad governemnt. If they change government, do things for the people and the infrastructure, then I am there. If not, then I do not want to support a regime that I do not agree with. The money would probably not flow to the people anyways.

AJ and Emily,

If you are worried about "Americans" messing it up, you can go there now. It's not illegal for Americans to go to Cuba, you just can't get a direct flight there from America unless you are Cuban. Many people fly to Cancun or Dominican Republic and then fly to Cuba from there. Better hurry, sounds like the Americans are coming right when the people in Guantanamo Bay are leaving.

While Americans can get to Cuba from any country but the USA it is illegal to visit/vacation in Cuba. Flights leave from Miami for anyone given permission to travel. Permission is on a case by case for journalism, academics, athletes, family, performers, etc. There are steep civil penalties, fines, imprisonment for US citizens who get caught traveling to Cuba. :eek:

Put me down on the list also. After living in Tampa for 17 years, I became very fond of Cubans and their food.

Arroz con Pollo and Oso Buco. Yum!

La Tierra Sietta (sp?) is my fav Cuban diner. They make great Cuban sandwiches.

I may be on a mission trip to Cuba later this year, all in compliance with US State Department red tape.

Yes, I would be on a cruise to Cuba very quickly. Probably could have 5 night cruises around Cuba, stopping in several ports.

AJ and Emily,

If you are worried about "Americans" messing it up, you can go there now. It's not illegal for Americans to go to Cuba, you just can't get a direct flight there from America unless you are Cuban. Many people fly to Cancun or Dominican Republic and then fly to Cuba from there. Better hurry, sounds like the Americans are coming right when the people in Guantanamo Bay are leaving.

Actually it IS illegal for most Americans to go to Cuba at the present time. There are a very limited number of exceptions to this ban and in such instances requires special permission from the US government. Those Americans who elect to follow your directions to go there by an indirect route risk serious sanctions should their travel to Cuba become known to federal officials. I would love to be among the first to travel there when the restrictions are removed but I would not suggest to anyone that they can travel there at this time and risk the penalties that could be involved.

My husband's family was part of the migration of the entire Cuban middle class to south Florida, where they like the great majority of Cubans who emigrated were able through hard work and frugal living to buy property and send their two sons through college and medical school. While we eagerly await the opportunity to visit his homeland, it won't be till Fidel is safely roasting and Raul is out.

(Oh, and as to Cuban cuisine -- ropa vieja, arroz con pollo, vaca frita, picadillo, maduros, moros y cristianos yes! Osso buco, no -- that's Italian!) And don't forget mojitos!:D

I'd love to visit Cuba....and I think eventually it will open up and ships will call there.

But, not in the near future.

Cuba's infrastructure is in ruins. Almost 50 years of stagnation and neglect seems to have left the whole country a wreck. It will take years to modernize, rebuild, improve the economy, etc....much less build port facilities for modern cruise ships.

When/if the country ever opens up, I think you'll see much trouble there for a long time. I think it will surpass Jamaica as one of the poorest, most troublesome islands...right up there with Haiti.

Archived